Can we recommend some meditation books besides 10% Happier?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not because it's a bad book - it's great! - but I've read it countless times in the past couple of years. It's an awesome practical guide to meditation, and I'd love to read more books like it. I know it's hard to find books like that one, that don't get bogged down by all the spiritual stuff, but there must be some out there. Anyone have suggestions for more things to read? Thanks!

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really amazed to hear the meditation discussion this week, especially as my fiancee (to be wife as of Saturday) has been trying to get me to do meditation for awhile. She had even heard of the books mentioned as she listened to the podcast with me.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. If you're 100% opposed to reading about Buddhist spirituality I guess stay away, but I don't remember the book diving too deeply into that and it definitely offers a lot of practical advice that helped me with my practice. I've been meaning to give it another read lately.

Outbr3ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not expressly just meditation, but I can't reccomend Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner enough. It's really a bit of a punk rock memoir by an average guy from Ohio who ends up finding Zen, moving to Japan and working on kaiju productions while struggling with enlightenment. It's super great.

Avatar image for definitelysacha
definitelysacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll second Hardcore Zen. I think part of it's value is in demonstrating that anyone can pick this up, that mindfulness isn't a profession for monks and casual hobby for everyone else. It's really a valuable tool that everyone should have available to them.

Brad Warner has continued on with a few other books, which I've also enjoyed. They're easy to look up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People should check out the books written by Chogyam Trungpa and Sakyong Mipham.

TSteele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think", (second edition). If your looking for something that delves into the interplay between how our emotions and thoughts work together this is a great read. While it's not a "meditation" book per se, it does include (and is influenced by) mindfulness activities.

As a psychologist I often walk through this book with clients suffering from anxiety and/or depression. If your struggling with those things, or just not feeling "100%" I'd recommend it. If your just looking for a meditation guide, you'll be served better by a different book.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can recommend Waking Up by Sam Harris. It's not strictly about meditation the main subject is how to be spiritual without religion but he does get in to some meditation talk too.

superkebabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By superkebabi

Agreed. I'd especially recommend this book to skeptics of the practice as Harris goes into detail about why meditation requires no 'faith' to be a worthwhile use of your time.

@owack6 said:

I can recommend Waking Up by Sam Harris. It's not strictly about meditation the main subject is how to be spiritual without religion but he does get in to some meditation talk too.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Zevvion

I'm more of a yoga person myself. Nothing calms me down like movement.

chaosofdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've recently been diving into The Mind Illuminated, which is a super practical guide that breaks down your meditation journey into multiple phases, and the goals of each. I had a hard time before finding the book identifying what I should be doing besides sitting and just letting my thoughts pass by. This book has really helped me understand where I am in my meditation progress, and the things I should keep an eye out as I practice.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was really amazed to hear the meditation discussion this week, especially as my fiancee (to be wife as of Saturday) has been trying to get me to do meditation for awhile. She had even heard of the books mentioned as she listened to the podcast with me.

Early congrats on the wedding, duder! Seems like the perfect time to begin practicing meditation.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is an old post but does anyone know the full title of the book? I see a few books that start with 10% happier and I want to make sure I get the correct one

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Inresurrection

The Spirit of Zen by Alan Watts is absolutely wonderful. Watts is great to explore all around, both his lectures (tons on Youtube and a bunch archived elsewhere) and his written work. On another note, Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo is really great, too. It's not at all just about learning to play guitar, but it's also helpful for that as a bonus.

@lead_dispencer The book you're looking for is by Dan Harris.