Can you duders help me find a movie?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vuud

Okay, let me explain, I didn't really want to create a topic on this but I am desperate. I saw this movie on TV when I was much much younger and have been searching for it ever since, I hope you understand my plight.

Anyway, this movie is of the low-budget sci-fi cheese variety, it looked like it was made some time in the 80's. I only saw most of the ending, the third act let's say, when I was up late watching TV, but it has been burned in my memory ever since. It was a really cheap looking sci-fi movie where the scenes I saw involved two old men who were shooting laser beams at each others foreheads in some kind of psychic battle, I remember a guy shooting a laser gun at something that looked like a Beholder and it screamed and flew down a hallway, at some point there was a woman going down a metal slide, and at the very end after the bad guy is defeated and everything is back to normal the hero and his pals are all in a bar laughing and drinking, and the hero drives away in his semi truck but OH NO there's a monster hiding on the back of his truck!!! Cut to credits.

I know this is a long shot but I thought it was worth a try. I know it was a real movie and not some sort of horrible pizza and soda induced fever dream. So thanks for your time, dudes.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@vuud said:

Okay, let me explain, I didn't really want to create a topic on this but I am desperate. I saw this movie on TV when I was much much younger and have been searching for it ever since, I hope you understand my plight.

Anyway, this movie is of the low-budget sci-fi cheese variety, it looked like it was made some time in the 80's. I only saw most of the ending, the third act let's say, when I was up late watching TV, but it has been burned in my memory ever since. It was a really cheap looking sci-fi movie where the scenes I saw involved two old men who were shooting laser beams at each others foreheads in some kind of psychic battle, I remember a guy shooting a laser gun at something that looked like a Beholder and it screamed and flew down a hallway, at some point there was a woman going down a metal slide, and at the very end after the bad guy is defeated and everything is back to normal the hero and his pals are all in a bar laughing and drinking, and the hero drives away in his semi truck but OH NO there's a monster hiding on the back of his truck!!! Cut to credits.

I know this is a long shot but I thought it was worth a try. I know it was a real movie and not some sort of horrible pizza and soda induced fever dream. So thanks for your time, dudes.

One of the best 80s action movies ever, and it's on Netflix right now.

Big Trouble in Little China.

Enjoy. :)

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vuud

@spaceinsomniac: OH MY GOD! HOLY SHIT! HOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! You don't know how long I have been living with this and it was Big Trouble in Little FUCKING CHINA! I had no idea. I was searching shitty Italian made 80's sci-fi schlock hoping I'd find it and it was in front of my nose the whole time. I freaking love you man! I mean really love you! I don't know how to pay you back! I'm so happy right now.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

@spaceinsomniac: OH MY GOD! HOLY SHIT! HOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! You don't know how long I have been living with this and it was Big Trouble in Little FUCKING CHINA! I had no idea. I was searching shitty Italian made 80's sci-fi schlock hoping I'd find it and it was in front of my nose the whole time. I freaking love you man! I mean really love you! I don't know how to pay you back!

Glad I could help. I worshiped that movie when I was a kid. I'd love to see it again without knowing the movie so well, but it still holds up nicely today.

Once you've seen it, check out Assault on Precinct 13 and Starman, which are two more John Carpenter films on Netflix. I'd stay away from Escape from LA, though, at the very least until after you've seen Escape from New York, which is probably my second favorite of his movies. They Live and The Thing are pretty cool as well.

And speaking of cool:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-john-carpenter-email-interview/1100-4760/

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/john-carpenter-s-top-six-games-of-2013/1100-4814/

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

John Carpenter is a fucking God. I did a 10 page paper on The Thing last semester for Communications because why not. But yeah, Big Trouble in Little China is great. Can't wait for the upcoming comic series.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@gelatinabomination said:

John Carpenter is a fucking God. I did a 10 page paper on The Thing last semester for Communications because why not. But yeah, Big Trouble in Little China is great. Can't wait for the upcoming comic series.

It's funny, but until searching for "John Carpenter" on Netflix just now, I had no idea that he was responsible for Starman. That movie is really not what you would expect from a John Carpenter movie. It's is pretty good, though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

Make sure you get the DVD and listen to the commentary track. John Carpenter and Kurt Russell just sound like old buddies reminiscing and it kicks ass.

It's really one of the most entertaining movies ever made.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just a really really weird thing that happened in my life. I am a John Carpenter fan; I've seen Escape From New York, Halloween, Precinct 13, They Live, the Thing is one of the few horror movies I enjoy. I've seen all of those. It's just a crazy set of circumstances I guess. Until now I thought I had never seen Big Trouble in Little China and meant to watch it some time. Somehow in my head it got on this track that this weird movie I saw late one night could not be something like a John Carpenter film. My brain formed some sort of bias against Big Trouble in Little China, like that video with the kids tossing the basketball and the gorilla walks right by and you never see it. I thought it had to be something low-budget and horrible like Starcrash or Robot Holocaust, like I said it was right in front of my nose all these years.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By TreeTrunk

great good for you.

But while we're at it, I saw a movie about 5-10 years ago too, it was maybe a french movie (definitely not english). At the beginning it shows a group of people who are trapped in the basement of a burning house/building but they miraculously escape through like a hole in the top corner that they had to stack barrels to reach. This movie was about people who died, but it takes 9 months for them to completely let go of the world (as it takes 9 months to completely go into the world). There is one scenario where a guy turns up to work as a security guard in a factory and it is completely empty, he calls up his boss and his boss apparently can't believe that the factory is empty either. He starts exploring more and his friends start turning up and disappearing or something weird like that. By the end it turns out that they all actually died in the burning building to begin with, and they were all just going through the 9 months process of leaving earth.

Anybody know this movie? I'd really like to see it again

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I remember a sci-fi movie that was some kind of Star Wars rip off. All I remember is that there was a lady who had an ESP connection with a robot and that there was an evil robot who was actually the main guys dad. They knew it was his dad because the robot had a limp like his dad did.

darksouls2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember a sci-fi movie that was some kind of Star Wars rip off. All I remember is that there was a lady who had an ESP connection with a robot and that there was an evil robot who was actually the main guys dad. They knew it was his dad because the robot had a limp like his dad did.

Cool movie :)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

you are describing big trouble little china. You know what's awesome about that film, unlike Dances with Wolves or Avatar "WHITE MAN SAVES THE DAY" trope..... White man is butt of jokes, and the whole asian mysticism is all played out before him as he's knocked on his ass. And like I said before everything is played out before him and he does very little interaction, and on top of that Kurt is doing a bad John Wayne impression so leading to this really subversive message about "white man." Still it's not really a revolutionary message because it's still in that whole 80s cheese, which is quality cheese mind you, but a lot of movies let the hero get away with everything even if they are a dick. Especially now 30 years later amazing coming back to it and seeing it more then what I expected it being.

May I recommend john carpenter's first film DARK STAR!!!!

Loading Video...

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@daveyo520 said:

Cool movie :)

I went looking after and it is a old 70's live action Disney movie called The Black Hole.

darksouls2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool movie Dark Star.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CashBailey

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA may well be the greatest movie ever made.