• 125 results
#51 Posted by dudeglove (13273 posts) -

It wasn't a movie theater but pretty much the only thing I've ever walked out on was a theatrical production of Joyce's Ulysses (in Russian) that had gone on for at least four hours already and threatened to last another two more. I actually didn't intend to leave at the four hour mark as I thought it had (finally!) ended at the end of Act 2 but it was just the brief break before act 3 but didn't have the heart to re-enter the auditorium. I have never been so bored and so relieved in my life.

I think walking out of a movie is kinda shitty frankly, but hey you do you.

If there's ever a film I wanted to walk out of, it's The Secret Lives of Dentists, which is an absolute ass melodrama from 2002 ish that has very vague shades of Fight Club starring of all people Dennis Leary and other actors you don't care about any more. It's such a trash film that dwells on a bunch of profoundly unpleasant people who have problems that aren't even problems that it still makes me angry. I loathe it and so should you (don't actually see this film).

#52 Edited by Naoiko (1617 posts) -

I haven't walked out on a movie before, but I don't go see movies very often so that could be why.

#53 Posted by Moskelosk (25 posts) -

I rarely go to the movie theater and when I do it's always a movie that I know I will like. The worst movie I've seen in the theater was Batman & Robin and if I wasn't 11 at the time, I probably would have walked out. Even at that age I hated it.

#54 Posted by Khemitude (236 posts) -

@bigboss1911: Actually just got done watching that the other night on netflix. I found it alright not a masterpiece or anything but servicable.

For me it was American Sniper on netflix got around 3/4 of the way through it before turning it off, was just boring as all hell, no substance to it at all.

#55 Posted by Bane (807 posts) -

I've never actually walked out, but I almost did during one of the Transformers movies. The one where the wrecking balls hung like testicles. So stupid.

I was watching Napoleon Dynamite on DVD, but the disc was scratched and I couldn't finish it. I was told it was hilarious, but man, that movie is awful.

#56 Posted by nutter (651 posts) -

Raging Bull? Fire Walk with Me?

Gah! Those are great movies!

Anyhow, I don’t go see a ton of films in the theatre, and I’ve never walked out for quality reasons (because I’m there with people who want to see the movie).

Anyhow, if were alone, I’d have walked out on:

- The Last Jedi

- Jurassic World

...that said, I would have never seen these without my wife and kids wanting to go anyhow.

I have walked out on a few movies for specific reasons:

- Legend (I was six and somehow scared of the devil)

- Guardians of the Galaxy (only showing was 3D, my wife and I left after 10 minutes of that garbage)

- Rogue One (my daughter was scared of the interrogation monster, so I left my wife and son to finish the movie while we watched Cinderella in the car)

#57 Posted by nutter (651 posts) -

@bane: Napoleon Dynamite has a funny goof or two, but I thought the movie itself was pretty middling at best.

I saw the first Transformers movie. I learned my lesson and didn’t repeat that mistake with any of the sequels.

#58 Posted by TheRealTurk (219 posts) -

The Thin Red Line - Worst war movie I've ever seen.

I Am Sam - To quote Tropic Thunder: "never go full retard"

Kingdom of Heaven - Continuing my trend of never getting through a movie with Edward Norton. And I didn't even know he was in it.

#59 Posted by Casepb (364 posts) -

Well that's easy. None.

#60 Posted by sjaak (28 posts) -

@dudeglove: why is it shitty to walk out of a movie? Besides maybe disturbing the other people watching for 30 seconds, I cannot think of a reason that its bad to walk out of a movie you dislike and you paid money for. Just wondering, maybe Im missing something.

#61 Posted by uhtaree (876 posts) -

@sjaak: there is a certain "look at me, I'm too good to be embarrassed in public watching this piece of shit" vibe I imagine people walking out of movie theaters wish to portray when they do it.

#62 Posted by meaninoflife42 (662 posts) -

I never walk out of movies even if I think it's terrible.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
#63 Posted by alwaysbebombing (2676 posts) -

Bad Moms

#64 Edited by devise22 (607 posts) -

@sjaak: It's also kind of...odd. It's probably a cultural carry over thing from days gone by honestly, when the idea of wasting money on something so frivolous to only walk out seemed brash and a arrogant way of saying I have more time and money than you. I totally get the argument that you spent the money on your ticket and you can do what you please. But it's kind of like watching someone go buy a soda, take one drink of it and then literally throw it in the trash. It seems just, very egotistical to say "I'm to good to sit and watch this thing I paid a ticket for for a measly two hours."

Even though realistically if your not enjoying yourself there is really nothing wrong with leaving. It's almost like it's preferred that people who do that just don't come to theaters. Like it's not that you need to enjoy a movie going into the theater, but part of the respect for the filmmakers is to say hey I paid the ticket to show up and do this in public, I have the courtesy to at least sit through it.

#65 Posted by nutter (651 posts) -

@uhtaree: It’s a dark room, so I guess some people might go for that, but it seems fruitless. They might think you’re going to the bathroom or to get some popcorn, frankly.

Movies aren’t cheap, but my time is worth more than the cost of a movie, so if I were there just for me, or exchanging eyerolls with my wife or kids the whole time, I’d gladly leave and salvage some time.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#66 Posted by hippie_genocide (2294 posts) -

I don't walk out of theaters. If I can sit through Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy I can sit through anything. There was a movie I tried to watch at home recently that I had to turn off and that was Batman vs. Superman. What a piece of shit.

#67 Posted by TheRealTurk (219 posts) -
@devise22 said:

@sjaak: It's also kind of...odd. It's probably a cultural carry over thing from days gone by honestly, when the idea of wasting money on something so frivolous to only walk out seemed brash and a arrogant way of saying I have more time and money than you. I totally get the argument that you spent the money on your ticket and you can do what you please. But it's kind of like watching someone go buy a soda, take one drink of it and then literally throw it in the trash. It seems just, very egotistical to say "I'm to good to sit and watch this thing I paid a ticket for for a measly two hours."

Even though realistically if your not enjoying yourself there is really nothing wrong with leaving. It's almost like it's preferred that people who do that just don't come to theaters. Like it's not that you need to enjoy a movie going into the theater, but part of the respect for the filmmakers is to say hey I paid the ticket to show up and do this in public, I have the courtesy to at least sit through it.

Not only is there nothing wrong with it, I would argue it is the most rational choice. The price of the ticket represents a sunk cost - you have already paid for your ticket and you are extremely unlikely to get that money back. Therefore, the fact that you have already spent the money should not factor into future decision making. Having paid for your ticket your remaining choices are to (1) stay watching a movie you do not enjoy or (b) leave and at least recoup the amount of time you save by going to do something else you would rather do.

Option 1 is irrational. Therefore, the only logical choice is to get up and leave.

#68 Posted by chilibean_3 (2319 posts) -

I've never walked out because I figure since I already paid and went I might as well see it through but also because I'm there with other people and I feel that would be a weird thing to do?

Movies I really struggled to get through are Ready Player One, Benjamin Button and Powder.

When it comes to Netlix or rentals or whatever then who knows? That's way easier to tune out on with your phone or turn off or leave the room.

#69 Posted by Y2Ken (2828 posts) -

I've never walked out of a movie, but I've also only ever gone to the cinema with people and I'm pretty tough to persuade to see something in the first place so its unlikely I'd have gotten that far if I wasn't interested. I have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit, too, so it'd take a lot to get me to actually leave.

#70 Posted by Whitestripes09 (864 posts) -

Almost had to walk out of the first Avengers movie because my nephew couldn't sit still through it. My brother had to go out for awhile, so that sucked seeing it alone... but kids gonna kids, so whatever. Other than that one close time, I haven't walked out.

I've spontaneously gone to the theater to kill some time and seen some bad movies like Suicide Squad, but even then, it just seems like you pay so much for a ticket, at the very least I can just shut my brain off and enjoy whats happening at the moment and then later be critical about it. As long as a movie doesn't bore me, then I don't get that feeling to walk out of a theater. If it ever got to that point, then some impromptu nap time is always nice, but it has never happened.

I think in recent memory the only movie where I came close to snoozing in was The Last Jedi. I had a long day that started early, it was a midnight showing, I was in one of those comfy recliner chairs, and I was just not in the mood for this goofy ass film.

Now when it comes to streaming movies? Yes, I drop movies like crazy. If they don't grab my interest in the first 30 minutes, then I definitely don't want my time wasted for the next hour and a half either since there are more choices or other things I could be doing at home.

#71 Posted by Superharman (214 posts) -

I feel really bad about this because I'd never done it before but there are reasons:

Yakuza Apocolypse - It was at the Melbourne Film Festival, it had been a long day, I had just seen another film and had to run to this. It was long and weird plus I was tired and drifting in and out of sleep and then I realised that I'd miss the earlier train if I stayed...so I left.

Only film I've walked out of and I've been in similar situations at a film festival the only thing that tipped me over was the train part. The next year I adjusted my schedule to avoid straight, run to another cinema back to backs and long films in the 9:30 slot.

#72 Posted by dudeglove (13273 posts) -

@sjaak said:

@dudeglove: why is it shitty to walk out of a movie? Besides maybe disturbing the other people watching for 30 seconds, I cannot think of a reason that its bad to walk out of a movie you dislike and you paid money for. Just wondering, maybe Im missing something.

Hey I'm not gonna force you to stay, but it's still kinda disrespectful (especially because you've bought into the experience to see it with other people) and I also think you're selling yourself short if you don't see any film to its conclusion. Even the people who boo films at Cannes still tend to stick around to watch it to its end and boo some more (though at other fests like Berlinale people have been known to leave out of disgust at whatever).

I think the most damning thing a film can do is if after watching it made you feel nothing and that you remember next to nothing about what transpired. If that film can't even make you angry beyond the time you wasted on it for, say, being objectionable or so unapologetically foul, then that is truly a waste of your time. Though therein lies the paradox - how will you know whether it was a waste of time if you didn't ever bother to stick around to find out? And how will you ever know what constitutes a bad film if your first instinct is to bolt the moment you get bored?

#73 Edited by innacces14 (789 posts) -

Never walked out, and I've watched Contact and Steel in theaters.

Edit: I'm also okay with people leaving. I can see myself walking out on Batman & Robin today, but can we all unanimously sing together as one when the family with the crying baby leaves the theater? Got no problems with kids, but I was one of 12 people in the audience for Blade Runner 2049. Why are you bringing a child to an R-rated film? I'm not gonna buy the "couldn't find a babysitter" argument. You got problems if you decided that the theater experience was more important than the comfort of your own kid.

#74 Posted by Sil3n7 (1467 posts) -

I never have, but I seriously thought about it with Blade Runner 2049.

Interested in your opinion on why you thought it was so bad.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#75 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7755 posts) -

I'm very picky about movies I see in the theaters, so it's never been a problem for me. I also go to the theatre maybe 4 or 5 times a year, so the chances I'll run into a stinker that's caught me off guard is even lower.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
#76 Posted by CurseTheseMetalHands (97 posts) -

The only movie I found so unbearable that I left an actual theater was The Last of the Mohicans.

Crap movies I stopped watching partway through at home via rental, Netflix, etc.? I've lost track. Though, I can say it's mostly happened during the last 5-6 years.

#77 Posted by sodapop7 (648 posts) -

None. They're like 2 hours long it's not hard to just watch the whole thing.

#78 Posted by Deathstriker (857 posts) -
@sil3n7 said:
@deathstriker said:

Interested in your opinion on why you thought it was so bad.

It felt overly long, convoluted, pretentious, and sometimes aimless. I was hoping the climax/ending would be worth it, but seeing two people fight in a flooding car was pretty boring too. I didn't expect action, there was just nothing all that intriguing to me and the storyline with the hologram felt like a less effective version of the movie "Her". Some of the scenes felt silly, like the pyramid stuff with Jared Leto seemed so overdone it felt more like a music video than movie. As far as sci-fi, I'd much rather watch Children of Men or Gattaca. As far as more artsy/slow movies, I like The Thin Red Line and Assassination of Jesse James. I do like 2049's director, but this is the worse movie that I've seen of his.

#79 Posted by AlKusanagi (1550 posts) -

Mortal Kombat Annihilation is the only movie I've walked out of, although I nearly walked out of Man of Steel (and wished I did).

When I was a little kid, I do remember my mother dragging me out of a showing of Weird Science.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#80 Edited by SloppyDetective (1409 posts) -

Superman Returns when I was like 13 cuz the friend I went with had to do a WoW raid. Valkyrie cuz a friend got too stoned. Valerian and the Planet of a Thousand Cities because I just got movie pass so didn't care and the movie is the trash at worst mediocre at best.

#81 Posted by chinakat65 (5 posts) -

Raging Bull is one of my top 5 favorite films, so I'm sorry to say that your opinion is wrong and invalidated by my clearly superior opinion.

In all seriousness though, The Mermaid. I usually enjoy foreign language films, but I think in this case, the cultural differences were too great for me to enjoy it in any capacity. I found it utterly stupid to the point where I was amazed anyone found it funny (and this is coming from a guy who enjoyed Freddy Got Fingered.) There were native language speakers in the audience laughing a lot, and I was so confused, perplexed and baffled that I left after 20 minutes. Only time I ever walked out of a movie theater.

It was just way too weird of a film.

#83 Posted by dudeglove (13273 posts) -

Can I hug you? While my friend and I found it appalling, we didn't leave even though too much of that film was groan inducing. I was secretly envious of the lady sat beside us who, rather than walk out of the film, walked in about 90 minutes late with half a bottle of white wine she had not yet finished and proceeded to bawl her eyes out at the film's conclusion.

#84 Edited by Cure_Optimism (20 posts) -

These are all at home. I've never walked out of a theatre, but I've sure as hell stopped watching something at home if it's bad. Not about to be tortured in my own house.

Resident Evil: Extinction. I remember the exact moment I called it quits, too. It's when the main character literally yells at a bunch of crows and an inferno comes out of her mouth. It was so absolutely absurd I couldn't bear to finish it.

Batman V Superman: Stopped watching about 45 minutes until the ending. Sat through more than the movie deserved.

Suicide Squad: Watched for something like 20 minutes. The editing was so terrible, and the pop-songs kicking in every second was just too much.

Not my own walk-out, but I once saw an old couple who were probably in their late 60s walk out of Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 when Michael Myers started smashing a naked stripper's face into a mirror over and over. Always remembered that, made me chuckle.

#85 Posted by Milkman (19112 posts) -

Some of you people have awful taste in movies. Who the hell walks out of Raging Bull and Gangs of New York?

The only movie I’ve ever walked out of was Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Me and my friends walked out and across the hall to a screening of Tropic Thunder that was just starting (we were not old enough to buy a ticket to a rated R movie at the time), which was absolutely the right choice.

#86 Posted by frymillstrum (1292 posts) -

Went to see The Incredibles for a 13th birthday party and halfway through my friends all started goofing around throwing shit and running around the theater cause they were bored and then left during the movie's climax. I was really digging it so I was super pissed off cause I had to leave with them or not get a ride home.

I'm lucky if I go to the cinema more than twice a year but like a lot of others have said - because of that I don't think I'd end up seeing something without knowing I was more than likely going to love it. It would take a lot to make me walk out, too much shaky cam would definitely do it but I don't think I've ever seen a found footage film in the cinema or any Paul Greengrass movies. MAYBE if I was mind nummingly bored but probably not.

Turn shit off all the time at home though, like once or twice a week (I tend to watch 4 or 5 movies a week if I can).

#88 Posted by liquiddragon (2622 posts) -

The only time I walked out of a movie was because the person I went to see it with absolutely hated the movie and asked to leave. The movie was The Mist.

I finally saw the whole thing not too long ago and thought it was decent.

The one time I should've walked out was on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Seriously, I think Transformers 1 and 3 are entertaining enough but Transformers 2 is one of the worst ever.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
#89 Posted by VincentVendetta (458 posts) -

None.

No movie is ever gonna get the best of me.

(Although there was that one time I was watching a movie with my friend and she stopped it after 30 min)

#90 Edited by Nodima (2324 posts) -

I've walked out of exactly two movies in my life. If I'm paying to see something, you'd better be goddamned right I'm going to watch all of it. But I'm also a huge fan of film and find even some of the worst movies expressive and educational in some way. I've also never fallen asleep in a movie theater, though I have come close since the advent of bars in theaters. That's on me though, not the movie. I can't even bring myself to get up and pee during a movie; again, a tougher problem as I enter my thirties and theaters continue to serve beer. But I would rather sit and squirm than miss even two minutes of a film in theaters.

Anyway, the first movie I walked out on wasn't even really me walking out; it was my dad carrying me out. I insisted that we see Star Trek: First Contact and while he was worried that I'd find it a bit intense at my age (I might've been five or six), he eventually let me win out the argument and bought two tickets. Within thirty minutes, I was terrified and bawling my eyes out and begging to leave. Embarrassing!

The second movie was in my high school years. My stoner friends and I had one of the best times of our lives to that point the first time we saw Scary Movie 3, and so it was obvious that the following Friday we'd be going to see Scary Movie 3 again, this time even more high. Unfortunately, it turned out all the jokes in that movie work exactly once, even on a ten-deep crew of stoned high schoolers. We might've been out of there before the opening credits finished rolling.

#91 Posted by avantegardener (2220 posts) -

I've never pulled the trigger and left, because even if it's dreadful you can watch it in disbelief. Last Jedi was close, as that movie is utter shite top to bottom.

#92 Edited by Max_Cherry (1448 posts) -

Alien: Covenant

#93 Posted by Neill_freer (21 posts) -

Guy Ritchies' Revolver. Shockingly terrible film.

#94 Posted by sarahsdad (1335 posts) -

The only one I remember walking out of was the 2007 Rob Zombie Halloween re-make. I'd gone to see it alone, leaving my wife and five year old daughter at home. About 15-20 minutes in, I decided I'd made the wrong life choice, and went home. No regrets.

For watching movies at home, the only one that stands out is Moulin Rouge. Pretty much everyone we knew had seen it, and said really great things about it. We rented it one night, and made it about a half hour in before we both realized we were watching it because we thought the other one was enjoying the movie.

#95 Posted by andythemeZ (287 posts) -

Hey man I was like 14 when I quit watching Raging Bull. A black and white movie about a sport I like less than hot dog eating, spare me!

#96 Posted by vdortizo (177 posts) -

only one: house of the dead

#97 Posted by Matticus (58 posts) -

Godzilla (1998)

I got to the point where I think they were fighting baby Godzillas (that were behaving suspiciously like Jurassic Park raptors) in a stadium.

I remember turning to my friend and saying "fuck this, I'm done" and walking out. I became much more selective about what I would see in the theater after that, which is probably why it hasn't happened since.

#98 Edited by notnert427 (1988 posts) -

I'm not sure I've ever walked out of a movie. If I paid my money, I'm at least seeing if it gets better. There are some that have been fairly excruciating and came close, though. Dumb and Dumberer, Wolf of Wall Street, and The Devil's Rejects to name a few.

Had I seen Drive in the theatre, I might have broken my rule and walked out. That is one of the few movies I actively hated throughout watching it.

#99 Posted by Blommer4 (293 posts) -

I go to the cinema a lot, because I love it. Very often me and my girlfriend agree to go to the cinema first, THEN check out what movies we can watch. I also like to go in knowing as little as possible. Because of this me and my girlfriend got really close to leaving a film once. There were other people that left during it, and there was only like 6-8 other people there excluding me and my girlfriend. All we did before going to this movie was read the very beginning of the summary/introduction thing you read on the websites. So we went to watch "You Were Never Really Here". Now I'm not gonna say the movie is bad per say (Though I certainly think it is), but we went in expecting a normal, fast paced action flick. The typical "you messed with the wrong guy" alas John Wick or The Equalizer... it was not like those films at all. Stuck through the entire thing though, mostly hoping it would grow on us after a while. It didn't and it stands as the worst cinema experience I've had to this date (And yes, I know it's 100 % my own fault).

I've also fallen asleep 2 times in the cinema. During the last Die Hard movie and Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The Die Hard movie I could see myself walking out of had I not been there with my friends, that movie was in my opinion just pure trash. For Star Wars the movie was decent (Not my kind of movie), but I was just really tired unfortunately.

I also see no problem at all with walking out during a movie. I'll most likely never do it myself, but as long as whoever does it makes as little noise as possible then be my guest.

#100 Posted by Lenny (98 posts) -

Batman V. Superman. Only time I've walked out. Hot garbage.