Canada Votes 2011 the Unofficial Canadian Federal Election Thread

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By monetarydread

Just watched the debate. (WTF would they air something as important as this at 4:00? and no repeats at all, anywhere on satellite? Boo to that)
The debate was interesting, everyone was attacking Harper and he barely was able to defend himself properly. Hopefully people don't vote for the Tories out of pity for Harper.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#102  Edited By Skald

Prediction: the Conservatives are going to take my riding handily, because my representative is the current Prime Minister.

Maybe it would be cool to vote for the Prime Minister while I have the chance...
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#103  Edited By Skald

I'm really tired of the Quebec sovereignty stuff. They can go become their own country for all I care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I watch 10 mins of the debate before turning it off. I want to say there is a party that seems like they can run a country but everything I read and hear tells me other wise. I just don't trust any of them or any of the policies I have heard. 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By FrankCanada97

The latest poll numbers has the NDP nearly tied with the Liberals at the mid 20's percent. Could it be possible that they can become the official opposition?

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By nemt

Is there a right wing Quebecois nationalist party?
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By meteora
@FrankCanada97 said:
" The latest poll numbers has the NDP nearly tied with the Liberals at the mid 20's percent. Could it be possible that they can become the official opposition? "
If the momentum keeps up, possibly. Since we're using first past the post, a percentage of those votes may not count as seats.

Its really about time we adopt proportional voting.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By keyhunter

I voted for the western block party

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By bjorno

everybody should vote for the party I want to win.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By nemt

The cool thing about parliamentary systems is which party you vote for and which guy your vote helped become PM are almost entirely unrelated.
diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By diabloshadow
@erichr:
@LiquidS:
 shitharperdid.ca    - Take your pick. The only thing I know he is the wrong man for the job.
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By LiquidS
@FrankCanada97: He might be gaining more votes in Quebec but the way he is peddling to that province he might end up losing some support in the rest of Canada. Next he will be promising the Habs will win the Stanley Cup if he is elected.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By FrankCanada97

Looks like the NDP has eclipsed the Liberals for second place in the polls now. With election day on Monday it appears that Ignatieff may be in for a failure greater than Stephane Dion's.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By nemt
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@nemt said:
"
"
lol this is great
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By FrankCanada97

Also, don't talk about the results on election day online until the polls close or you'll be $25,000 by Elections Canada.

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By Shimmy

It seems like Harper is in a rather tenuous position this time around. If he leads the Conservatives to another consecutive minority government, his days in the big chair will be numbered, rest assured. Nevertheless, with the Liberals bleeding out and the NDP gaining strength, another Conservative minority is exactly what I predict. 

Let's just hope the Bloc doesn't make use of the confusion to gain Opposition status again. That would be all kinds of messed up.  
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By nemt

The best part of the debate was Decuppe answering every question with "vat about Quebec???"
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm just going to protest-vote and invalidate my ballot. Canadian poltiics are beyond saving, and beyond retarded at this point. 

Plus no matter who I vote for, I live in Toronto, so it's gonna be Bob Rae. I'd really prefer a direct election, instead of whatever majority there is in your area invaliding your vote, essentially. 
bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#120  Edited By bassman2112

I was thoroughly impressed at how many people showed up for advanced polling in my little redneck town, and how few of them were voting Conservative (I chatted with a couple folks around me and they admitted they were previous conservative fans who were now going NDP).

I've really been impressed with the NDPs and Jack Layton lately - especially as they're the only ones who are actually talking about things like UBB. Personally, I'd much rather see a big change and have an NDP minority; but I'm fairly certain that the chances of that are nigh 0.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By LiquidS

Will be interesting to see what happens as this time around it seems like there will be a different main opposition. Not sure if it was worth the millions spent on the election but that is democracy I guess.

No one has earned my vote and South East Calgary will not change hands so will probably just complain about politics from the sidelines and not vote.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#122  Edited By CharleyTony

everyone has his own way of seeing things. For me...

Harper (& the conservatives) are too far on the right, economically and socially
Ignatief (& the liberals) are pretty much in the center of the spectrums but got way too sleazy when they were in power last time
Layton (& the NDP) are a little bit too on the left for me, but them being in a minority situation could be great.
Bloc Quebecois is a regional party that cannot gain power. It has a lot of things in common with the NDP

If we had a presidential system, I would vote for Layton. The way things work in the Canadian system, your vote kinda gets lost in the system if your prefered local representative doesn't win...
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#123  Edited By Deranged

I'm not really up to speed with politics but I'm going with Conservatives.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#124  Edited By ProfessorEss

I want to vote. But I don't want to vote.

I used to spoil my ballets until I got sick of hearing all the didn't-vote numbers counted, while the spoiled ballot numbers were ignored.

I stopped voting so I could at least be counted, but now I'm torn between "don't-vote" and "vote-for-the-lesser-evil-or-maybe-not-we-don't-know-for-sure".

Unfortunately for Liberals, who I would normally consider where I'm at, I won't vote for Ignatief regardless.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By NTM

Obama was born in America! Oh wait....
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By FrankCanada97

Election day is tomorrow, the Conservatives are first in the polls and the NDP are second at the low 30's percent. Gonna be interesting to see how it all turns out.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mesklinite

If you're canadian and between 18-27 please do go vote. It can make a difference. I think it's something like 5.5 million people voted last election. Our age group has 5.5 million people in it. Go out there! Do IT!!

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Chop
@mesklinite said:
" If you're canadian and between 18-27 please do go vote. It can make a difference. I think it's something like 5.5 million people voted last election. Our age group has 5.5 million people in it. Go out there! Do IT!! "

But but...it's just so depressing for me. I live in Alberta so I know no matter what the conservative rep will my district by a land slide D;

My vote couldn't be more worthless. 
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Chop said:
" @mesklinite said:
" If you're canadian and between 18-27 please do go vote. It can make a difference. I think it's something like 5.5 million people voted last election. Our age group has 5.5 million people in it. Go out there! Do IT!! "

But but...it's just so depressing for me. I live in Alberta so I know no matter what the conservative rep will my district by a land slide D;

"
You sure you're not in that single Alberta riding where the NDP candidate won last time?
mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By mesklinite
@Chop said:
" @mesklinite said:

"
No. My vote is more useless. I live in an area Hard Line Pro Quebec in montreal. Still, go out there and draw the giantbomb logo on the battot. It tells them all the choices suck. If everyone who thinks that stay home, you never know when you could of actually won.
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#131  Edited By FesteringNeon

I vote for the Chapman family. Seriously last summer while traveling through, I must have heard this commercial 102931u045925823582 times.

it gets the win.
bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By bassman2112
Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Anupsis

I am voting for the NDP because I believe the corporate tax rate should be raised. Among other reasons. I hate when people say that will make companies leave the country. Having a lower tax rate did not stop U.S. Steel from laying off my father and a lot of hard working people.

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#134  Edited By astonish

I for one haven't been this excited about an election in a while. Feels like surprising things could actually happen...

GO VOTE! For those that think your vote doesn't count, especially in a riding where it seems that the winner is all but guaranteed to be someone you don't support:
  • Your vote still sends a message to the candidates and you are exercising a very important democratic right
  • Public funding for political parties is distributed per vote. Voting supports your party of choice in the long run even if they don't win in your riding
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#135  Edited By Suicrat

I spoiled my ballot because I don't want to give money to ANY of the major parties, and nothing will stop Jack Layton from winning my riding. Democracy at work.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By xyzygy

What does spoiling a ballot mean?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By CL60

I didn't vote.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By FrankCanada97
@xyzygy said:
" What does spoiling a ballot mean? "
Marking a ballot in anyway that invalidates it.
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By LiquidS

I disagree with people saying no matter what you should vote. I'm not voting because none of the candidates in my riding deserve it. They didn't even have a damn debate or do anything besides put a few signs up here and there. Don't even know if Kenney came back from Ontario to at least pretend he cares.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#140  Edited By Ben_H

Voting for the NDP candidate in my riding as they have the best chance of taking the current MP down.  The Conservative candidate (current MP) is a complete asshole who forces his religious beliefs (He's a Creationist Christian) into everything and uses automated phone systems.  That stupid thing has called my house at supper time every other day for the last 2 weeks.

I've noticed most of the people I know who vote Conservative straight up don't care about the election.  I would rather they either get informed before voting so they can make an informed decision or not vote if they really don't care and are just going to blind vote Conservative.
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By monetarydread

I just voted NDP.  My mom couldn't be convinced to vote for them even though it was the weakest argument I have ever heard. Get this, she said she wouldn't vote for Layton because his mustache made him look less trustworthy.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#142  Edited By FreakAche
@MonetaryDread: What? Layton is easily the most charismatic of the party leaders.
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By LiquidS
@MonetaryDread: He looks like a used car salesman. Your mom is a wise woman, shame my mom isn't=D
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By monetarydread

Awesome!  I just found out that publicizing your vote online is against the law in Canada.  Hope the RCMP doesn't track me down and press charges like they are saying they are going to do to people on twitter.  ;)  This is a bullshit law.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By LiquidS

Love some of the early polls here in Alberta. Crowfoot- Conservatives - 97
                   NDP - 1
                   Lib - 1

Anyways, great night for the West, Harper majority and Bloc getting destroyed. Hope May can get in in the Gulf Islands as I think the Greens should be seen as a proper party. 

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Wikitoups

Conservatives now have a majority government ,  NDP will be the opposition party... interesting to see how this new government does.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By bassman2112

The Conservative majority is the worst possible outcome, in my opinion.

I'm literally moving out of the country because of it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#148  Edited By nintendoeats

And that functional but bland machine that is the Canadian government marches on.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By DisposableUser

The outcome can only mean bad news for social progress but at least I'm happy about the way my province voted.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#150  Edited By FreakAche

I don't really like the Conservatives, but for some reason I feel better about even a Conservative majority government, than I would have about any minority government.