Can't decide on a NFL team

• 54 results
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So, for the past few seasons I've been rooting for the Chicago bears. I started rooting for them because I liked there history and they seemed like a solid ball club. However, I live in LA and there's a very good chance the st.louis rams, a team I was a fan of when I was a kid, will be moving here next season. Also, I was giving thought to the Pittsburgh Steelers because I also like their history, they have great playing ethics, and I like the uniforms.

So really, I'm having a tough time deciding. I do own quite a bit of bears merchandise. But if the rams move here I'll be able to see there games alot mor than the bears. Even maybe go to a home game.

What say you guys?

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Junkboy

Personally I grew up loving the Cowboys as a child (also when I played flag at my local league our team was the cowboys) and never bailed during the Chan gailey/Dave campo dark eras. Today still a fan and remember guys I loved when I was younger like laroy Glover , Gregg Ellis, and even Quincy Carter at the time.... Though I can't imagine "deciding" on a team based on their history or because they're moving here (I too live in L.A.) .

I think you're better off watching players and rosters and seeing who you like through that method. When I started watching basketball Dirk's style and him being a tall white German who could shoot made me fall in love with the Mavs instead of the Lakers. Which is weird cuse at the time I was a short fat brown 14 year old xD.

With that said there is nothing worse than someone who starts liking a team because they're good (as an adult). Though it's your call and you can decide like who you like.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

Look...if you jump ship from the Bears to the Steelers without a good reason (like living in or near Pittsburgh), you're going to be labeled a bandwagon fan. That isn't a stigma you really want.

tikimorpher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also ethics and Steelers dont belong in the same sentence.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By veektarius

I'm pretty sure the Chargers are the leading candidate for the LA spot right now, actually. You can also root for them even if they don't move. Someone has to.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm pretty sure the Chargers are the leading candidate for the LA spot right now, actually. You can also root for them even if they don't move. Someone has to.

The Clippers had Frankie Munoz and Billy Crystal as fans for all those years before they actually became good the past couple of years. If the Clips can do it so can any other team who moves to LA.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Play fantasy football and root for individual players throughout the whole league. Problem solved.

pontoon_yacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bengals. Why? Best helmets in the league.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@raven_sword: Root for the Chargers or Raiders. Both of those teams may be moving to LA (technically, Carson) very soon. Chargers if you want a sorta good team. Raiders if you want people to fear you.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pontoon_yacht: No way, Eagles helmets are better. Jaguars have the best overall uni though, taking everything into acount.

fonkymucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps the team they move to L.A. will be an AFC team...so then you can still root on the Bears as your NFC bros. Remember, you can be a fan of more than one team. Parents can love all of their children (they just love one more than the rest!)

(p.s. If you decided to go from Bears fan to Packers fan your not allowed to watch football anymore. BEAR DOWN!)

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Best thing to say to you is root for whichever team ends up moving to LA. That way you can go to their home games eventually and be fully invested.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By notnert427

Cheer for whatever NFL team you want to. Generally people cheer for whatever team is closest to where they grew up/live, which is a pretty lame reason when you think about it. "These guys play sort-of in the same geographical area as me! WOOO!!!!!" I don't much buy into the idea of loyalty or bandwagon fans when it comes to the NFL. I've got some respect for long-time fans of perennially awful teams like the Browns, but that's about it. As long as you're not just fanbase-hopping between the best teams, you're good. I struggle with picking a team a bit myself. Most of the people I know are Dallas Cowboys fans, but I just can't get behind that soap opera and can't stand Jerry Jones. I want to like the Texans because of J.J. Watt, but it's like they're trying to perpetually have mediocre-to-awful QB play, and I really don't like Jadeveon Assclowney. I'm liking the Colts of late. Not just because they'll be a good team, but because Chuck Pagano and Andrew Luck seem like solid guys, because I'm a spread guy, and because I like a whole lot of the roster moves they have made (signing quality vets like Gore/Johnson, finding some draft gems in Hilton, Moncrief, etc.) They're fun to watch. Same goes for the Packers, who now have a mini-underdog thing going after losing Nelson for the year.

This is why fantasy leagues are fun. They help give a rooting interest if you don't really have a pro team. I should mention that I feel way differently about cheering for a college team, though. I generally despise bandwagon t-shirt fans who have zero ties to the school they cheer for, because a special part of the college game is the fans that are there ardently cheering on the college they attended or are attending. There's little worse than some guy who went to Wal-Mart to buy a shirt of (insert powerhouse program) and then starts talking shit to actual students/alumni of an opposing school. Fuck that guy. Cheering on your own school is on a whole different level (win or lose), and that experience can't be replicated by buying a fucking shirt. There are a few exceptions, like if your alma mater is an Ivy League school where football is kind of an afterthought, or if a member of your immediate family (preferably a spouse/dependent) attends or attended the university you're cheering for, but for the most part, cheer for the school you went to. Those are my made-up rules, anyway.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Buffalo Bills. Why? *shrugs*

pontoon_yacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: I do really like the new Jags logo/uniforms. I like that it pays homage to the naval base history of Jacksonville.

But come on. Stripes.

No Caption Provided

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't want to be a bandwaggon jumper. Honestly, I think I'm either going to stuck with the bears or see what happens with this LA thing. I really don't want to root for the chargers or raiders though. It's Rams or bust as far as that goes.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I usually am a stick with your team guy but since you don't have real ties it's not the biggest deal. Pittsburgh is a winning team that doesn't mess around as an organization which is mostly all you can ask for in the NFL. There are many inept franchises. Being a Bears fan would be maddening because they are like half a good franchise I would say. Always refusing to really address QB.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Just cheer for the Browns

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Yeah, I don't want to be a bandwaggon jumper. Honestly, I think I'm either going to stuck with the bears or see what happens with this LA thing. I really don't want to root for the chargers or raiders though. It's Rams or bust as far as that goes.

Believe it or not, Raiders are heading towards a somewhat successful period due to some solid draft picks over the past few years.

And Chargers are always going to be at least decent as long as Philip Rivers plays there.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should be a Buffalo Bills fan because it builds character.

(this is not a real reason, there's no reason to be a Bills fan unless you're from Buffalo like I am... it's a shared curse than we can never escape. Is anyone here a quarterback?)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@turboman said:
@raven_sword said:

Believe it or not, Raiders are heading towards a somewhat successful period due to some solid draft picks over the past few years.

And Chargers are always going to be at least decent as long as Philip Rivers plays there.

Yeah, St. Louis over the Chargers is not an obvious pick in today's NFL. The Rams have had much more success over the entire history of the league, though, so I guess that counts for something. Oakland - well, I'll believe it when it happens.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Franstone

The obvious answer is the New England Patriots...
I mean, unless you hate winning.
; )

Edit: Seriously though, I believe in supporting the team where you live or where you come from.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stick with the Bears.

If the Rams move to where you live, you can then start rooting for them as it's a new start for them and a new start for you.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to tell you. I'm a Patriots fan, which obviously makes me the devil or whatever.

if i were you i'd support Oakland, because they have the cool merch.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thiago123

I'm a bit of a snob / ass when it comes to this kind of stuff. It really grinds my gears when people root for a team (in any sport) for no reason. I think that you should root for a team based on a real connection to them, the two most common/acceptable ones being either a) it is the closes geographically to you, or b) there is a family history to it (for instance, if your dad was always a fan of X team, so growing up you've always cheered for X). Even with option B above though, I still bring into question why the dad cheered for them in the first place if it's not a regional reason. (Like I said, I'm a snob about it, but that's just my hang up)

Since you are from LA, the obvious teams to root for are the Rams or the Raiders. It sounds like you already have ties to the Rams so that's what I would go with. And if they end up moving back there, all the better. If you want to stay regional, there's always the Chargers and 49ers too. Being the dick that I am though I would still want you to drop this nonsense about cheering for the Bears or Steelers ' because of their history, or uniforms, or god forbid- just because they were good 'that year'... in the words of the great Chris Carter, "C'mon Man!"

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I was giving thought to the Pittsburgh Steelers because I also like their history, they have great playing ethics, and I like the uniforms.

What say you guys?

It's pronounced "Stillers".

You also have to hate the Ravens and not just because they're from Maryland.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27 FinalDasa  Moderator

Never root for a LA team, they won't be there long.

I'd say pick a local, or as local as your can get, team and root for them. Remember not to choose based off of favorite players or coaches but instead just a team you generally like. Different teams tend to reflect who owns them and the city around them so some fan bases are more serious and competitive (or violent right Philadelphia? :D) than others.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bengals. Why? Best helmets in the league.

As a Cincinnati native and lifelong Bengals fan I came here to shuck my team. And was so proud that someone already did the work. Although, allow me to elaborate.

Being a Bengals fan affords you all of life's wonderful emotions on the spectrum. You begin with pure excitement and happiness, a glee for the perceived things to come. Then you spend your days in constant anxiety, with fits of both immense frustration and joyful triumph. Ultimately you slide into furious anger and finally, resign yourself to contempt. It's just like a real lifespan!

Also, being a Bengals fan, fuck the Steelers. Fuck them forever and always. I actually laughed out loud that someone would compare THE STEELERS with ETHICS. Also, fuck the Ravens, and I would say fuck the Browns, but it's just not worth it.

Schatzy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They have a pirate ship in their stadium.

pontoon_yacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zefpunk: Also fuck the Texans, those corncob-pipe-lookin' motherfuckers who only knocked us out of the playoffs twice because they grew JJ Watt in some lab in northern Wisconsin.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@turboman said:

@raven_sword said:

As a longtime Raiders fan, I wish this was true.

roc_553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be a fan of the NY/NJ Hitmen.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend cheering for the Lions like I do, but encouraging somebody else to take on that kind of burden would make me a real shit-sipper.

Never become a Lions fan.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah,so I really don't know what to do. I want to root for a team for the right reasons. Maybe I'll watch this season and make a decision later. Like I said, I have history with the rams, but I already have alot of bears merchandise. And I just think the Steelers are a cool team.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Junkboy

I think the bears merchandise is a poor reason... If you like the rams like the rams but switching between teams left and right you might be better off not having a team and just watching the game. Having a team for the sake of being able to say you have a team is not much better than not having one.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0: yeah. I mean, its not like I don't like the bears. But for some reason I don't like rooting for them. I don't know what it is.there's no connection really. I kinda just picked then for no reason. I want a team I can connect with.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then don't just decide to like Steelers because you think they have a good history and think it's a cool team. I think watch the Rams season and see how you feel about them later.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ravensword
InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By InternetDotCom

Let the pure dark evil of the New England Patriots consume your soul.

It feels GREAT

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zefpunk: Also fuck the Texans, those corncob-pipe-lookin' motherfuckers who only knocked us out of the playoffs twice because they grew JJ Watt in some lab in northern Wisconsin.

All due respect, but Andy Dalton's gimp arm had just as much to do with the start of the Legend of Watt as any scientists :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-MLd1iCY8c

Mixin_Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like you already chose the Bears; don't give up now.

Avatar image for vampiriclunatic
VampiricLunatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stick with the Bears, don't become a bandwagon fan.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way i see it, you've got 3 choices.

- stick with da Bears

- switch to the local team

- switch to the main rival of the local team

Personally I'd just stick with the Bears.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is really, truly, up to personal taste.

Not every state has a NFL team. As is my case, so the teams my friends/family follow are based purely on "oh hey they drafted X player from the college we went too/root for in college sports." In the case you describe is like..why are you a fan of one team over another? The reasons matter more then the team brand itself.

Do you just follow a single player? Guess what, team allegiance changes. Do you want to attend local games and/or don't have the means to watch out of market games? Guess what your now a fan of your local team..and on and on. Now, given how easy watching whatever sports event you want is via the internet, cable and what have you, the barriers break down even more. Throw darts at a wall, or just go with 'who has the best chance to have a good record and make my time watching them seem worth it. or..

But see that's all ultimately silly, personal and frankly, unique to every individual. There is no 'one size fits all' answer to this except..

the tl;dr What you decide is right for you.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I'm not saying you should root for the jaguars... but their stadium DOES have swimming pool seating...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Be a fan of whatever football team ends up in LA

astrozombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Denver Broncos. You can still beat most of the bandwagon fans.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: sup fellow Lions fan. Why do we do this to ourselves?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I know this season isn't off to a great start, but I'd stick with the Bears. In the 80's, they were great, especially in 1985. They had a quarterback who carried himself like Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat. A.K.A. Jim McMahon.

No Caption Provided

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say if you don't have a pro team in your area and you still like football you are probably a college football fan. Therefor I would root for a team that drafted my favorite player so if you were a USC fan and Reggie Bush was your favorite player then go with the Saints.