Castlevania Netflix Trailer

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Netflix put up the trailer for their Castlevania cartoon, and I think it looks pretty good! Seems to be based on Castlevania 3. Very anime aesthetic but like older shonen stuff, not the rounder more cutesy style they used in the DS games. I can't wait to check it out in July.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That looks pretty cool. I hope it's good!

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fugoy

This looks dope as fuck. I was skeptical about the idea in the first place but seeing it in action makes me very excited.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Might show be good!

My only point of reference for vampire-based animation is Vampire Hunter D, which I remember liking but maybe just got an easy pass because back in the day it was one of the only anime I was aware of at the video rental store. So hopefully this series is as good as those hazy memories of excessive anime vampire action!

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks awesome and it's coming out so soon!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This doesn't look terrible and I might actually watch it.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, that doesn't look bad at all. It's sort of a Gonzo look? Reminds me a little of those Marvel anime films.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8 chaser324  Moderator

Reminds me a little of those Marvel anime films.

That was my immediate thought. I don't know if there's any overlap in the production team, but its style is very reminiscent of those Marvel anime movies.

That said, nothing in the trailer is really doing anything for me. Could be good or bad, I can't really say from what I see here.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs some "Bloody Tears" and there is no way that NES worked on the first try, but other than that, I'm interested.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

lmao what an amazingly silly setup for the trailer.

looks cool. nice art style. dude sounds a bit like Richard Armitage.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

So where are the pachinko machines?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So weird that Warren Ellis is working on this.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@jonny_anonymous: Didn't he work on the Thundercats remake as well, or am I making that up?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Like others have said: very anime. If they're going that direction I would have loved them to use the style from Gundam Thunderbolt. So far looks intriguing but the CGI skeletons gave me bad flashbacks of Berserk.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just looks generic to me. The animation looks alright but I wouldn't say this trailer made me interested.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@TechnoSyndrome: Rounder and cutesy? This is about as early 90's anime as it gets.

drilbey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awesome. I think I'll just watch it purely for the setting and the fact that this is the closest we'll get to a modern Vampire Hunter D show.

That feeling when the west are making better anime than the current animr industry at the moment.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs Vampire Killer.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JunkerWoland

I’ll try to watch this at some point, merely due to my affection for the franchise, but the trailer fails at eliciting any excite from me. Everything just looks very bland, and I’m not a fan of the character designs, which remind me too much of the many Japanese-Western co-produced/co-funded animated works that were popular for a bit in the earlier 2000s.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Definitely interested in it. The style looks pretty interesting. Hopefully the music is just as good.

They better include barkerville

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Castlevania 3 is my favorite Castlevania and probably the best one of the old-style games to base a show on. It's got a few characters at least. And while you could only have one extra character with you in the games, in canon all four playable characters traveled, as well as defeated Dracula, together.

To start I'm glad it looks good, visually, even if they don't show off a lot. I'm a bit more hopeful that it'll be a cool thing now than I was a few months ago. Looking forward to July.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks really cool. And is it officially an adaptation of Castlevania 3?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Maybe I'll check it out but I think I'll wait until I see more before I decide whether or not I watch this.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Mezmero

Eh, trailer doesn't do much for me. The last thing I need is yet another generic action anime. The thing I want most is for this to give some flavor back to the Castlevania lore. I think making it based on Castlevania III is a good move because then you can illustrate how not all hunters are whip-wielding Belmonts and that they themselves have developed their own style of fighting monsters that's completely different from mages, thieves, and a lone half-vampire. It's probably wishful thinking to expect this show to also explore Drac's power of dominance that is referenced primarily in the DS games.

I honestly think the best homage to Castlevania in an anime was in One Piece with the whole Thriller Bark story arc. Gecko Moria is straight up Castlevania-style Dracula, without actually being a vampire.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Pfft. If this is based on Castlevania, where's the part where someone gets knocked into a pit by a flying medusa head?

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If they can get the tone right, this could be a good little series. Needs that music; the animation looks fine enough and they're clearly going for nostalgia with that opening bit, so hopefully they can deliver on that.

Thankfully they aren't unearthing this fucking dufus:

No Caption Provided

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So I don't actually know much about the production side of this. Is this being produced in Japan and then dubbed with Netflix getting distribution or is this being produced by Netflix in English and just using an anime style?

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I don't actually know much about the production side of this. Is this being produced in Japan and then dubbed with Netflix getting distribution or is this being produced by Netflix in English and just using an anime style?

It's an original, English-language production by Netflix. Warren Ellis apparently wrote the script, with the animation being handled by Powerhouse Animation from Austin, TX. The production studio behind "Adventure Time" and an Adi Shankar, who seems to be a producer/actor and currently somewhat popular, are also involved.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks surprisingly good. All the people behind it also make me much more interested than I thought I'd be.

Also is that Peter Serafinowicz in the trailer? Sure sounds like him.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this USA only?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I’ll try to watch this at some point, merely due to my affection for the franchise, but the trailer fails at eliciting any excite from me. Everything just looks very bland, and I’m not a fan of the character designs, which remind me too much of the many Japanese-Western co-produced/co-funded animated works that were popular for a bit in the earlier 2000s.

I get what you're saying, I'm getting a "Highlander - Search for Vengeance" vibe from this trailer, which I enjoyed but it wasnt great. (better than many of the Highlander sequels though)

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JunkerWoland

@boozak said:
@junkerwoland said:

I get what you're saying, I'm getting a "Highlander - Search for Vengeance" vibe from this trailer, which I enjoyed but it wasnt great. (better than many of the Highlander sequels though)

I’d probably be significantly more interested if this were helmed, and possibly with character designs, by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (of aforementioned “Highlander,” “Ninja Scroll,” and “Wicked City” fame). Aspects of the character designs remind me more of things like “G.I. Joe: Sigma 6” and, as was noted earlier in the thread, other stuff coming from studio Gonzo; they also make me think of recent shows like that “Thundercats” reboot. To be fair, though, the close-up shot of Sypha looks much better than Trevor and Alucard.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Netflix wanted the show to exude at least some Japanese-animation vibe, but I may have preferred they’d went in a different direction. We’ll see…

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

Pfft. If this is based on Castlevania, where's the part where someone gets knocked into a pit by a flying medusa head?

That's the filler episode.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs more Business Frankenstein.

Just kidding, it actually looks cool. I feel like maybe it could use some more "grittiness" like some of the 90s anime used to have but it still seems cool either way.