Census time: The Ultimate Giantbomb Religion Poll.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Harkat

@Still_I_Cry said:

Atheist, because that is what is trending right now.

I hate to be this petty on Giant Bomb, but dude, you're a troll.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Harkat

@BeachThunder said:

Join us next time when Contrarian asks more personal questions on a video game forum! Coming up next time on Contrarian Asks:, "What are you wearing?".

I'd be up for that. Wearing badass sweatpants now. #SWAG.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By FourWude

Where's the Gaytheist option?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Animasta

agnostic is the only smart thing to do... anyone who says they know gods don't exist are idiots, and anyone who says THEY know god exists are also idiots

boom

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Flawed_System

Given the age bracket it's not surprising a majority of the people here are Atheists.

Those claiming "logic" has nothing to do with Faith need to read the works of Thomas Aquinas and other religious scholars (Thank you Theology and Philosophy courses).

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Illuminosopher

I have always seen it as strange that anyone would choose either extreme (religion or atheism) religion has no proof of god and atheism has no proof that there isn't a god.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FourWude

@jewunit said:

J-J-J-J-J-J-J-Jew Unit!

Religious Jew or from the tribe of Goldman Sachs?

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Bell_End

im atheist.

this guy sums up my thoughts on religions.

he's brilliant.

just check the comments on his youtube vids. just shows how mental the religious out their truely are.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By RVonE

Other motherfucker.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FourWude

@Contrarian:

Your options are severely limited if you wanted to go into individual denominations of faiths. There are for example different orthodox christian communities, greek, russian, serb etc are all distinct with their own customs. There are also a myriad of different Buddhist schools of thought. Different Jewish schools of thought, Hindu. It is.debateable whether even atheism is a unified belief structure, but that ain't a discussion for me.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By matthias2437

Uhhhh, no Cult of Cthulhu guy. I am offended. I guess if I had to classify myself as one I would probably be "Christianity: Other"

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Karkarov

What a surprise, athiest is winning on a site populated mostly by teenagers, college kids, and democrats. I am going down as "other".

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mandude

@Animasta said:

agnostic is the only smart thing to do... anyone who says they know gods don't exist are idiots, and anyone who says THEY know god exists are also idiots

boom

@Illuminosopher said:

I have always seen it as strange that anyone would choose either extreme (religion or atheism) religion has no proof of god and atheism has no proof that there isn't a god.

I would argue that atheism is simply the lack of a theism. Not the opposite extreme.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By jimi

Creates poll about religion, asks people not to debate.

This can only end well.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CaLe

@Karkarov said:

What a surprise, athiest is winning on a site populated mostly by teenagers, college kids, and democrats.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Illuminosopher

@mandude said:

@Animasta said:

boom

@Illuminosopher said:

I would argue that atheism is simply the lack of a theism. Not the opposite extreme.

atheism (ā`thē-ĭz'əm), denial of the existence of God or gods and of any supernatural existence, seems pretty definitive to me

if anything I'm wrong to put religion as an extreme as it is a much more open ended idea.

VetleNM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By VetleNM

I'm on the atheist side of agnosticism. I can't know for sure that there isn't any god (or gods) out there, but nothing of what I've experienced so far in my life indicates the presence of any form of supernatural force whatsoever, so it would be illogical to assume that any god exists.

I was raised a Christian protestant, and my family on my father's side is mostly Jehova's Witnesses and absolutely crazy. They were probably the ones who drove me away from religion in the first place, though I'm confident I'd end up with the same conclusion sooner or later anyway. Oh, and my SO is a Buddhist and tried to convert me after we met, but I remain an atheist agnostic.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mandude

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

atheism (ā`thē-ĭz'əm), denial of the existence of God or gods and of any supernatural existence, seems pretty definitive to me

if anything I'm wrong to put religion as an extreme as it is a much more open ended idea.

That depends on what dictionary you open up. A on its own, as a prefix, already has a definition, and when you combine it with theism, you arrive at the definition - without belief in god(s).

I can't see the merit in redefining it as a whole word with a unique meaning. Asexual for instance means without sexuality. It doesn't mean that asexuality is based around getting off to nothingness.

rustyengel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By rustyengel

kopimism is missing from the list. Its the new recognized religion out of Sweden. Oh and people who call other people idiots for believing something are ironically... idiots

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MJHAYLETT

I picked irreligious as religion isn't a word in my vocabulary if you know what I mean and I am sure that you do. Its a non thought, a non idea to me so I picked irreligious. I don't have the words to describe it to my satisfaction and I am not an atheist because that implies that religion is something to deny where to me it isn't even a concept. My brain doesn't see the world in any way that incorporates religion. Its a null concept to me. You see what I am struggling to say? :D

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@CaLe said:

@Karkarov said:

What a surprise, athiest is winning on a site populated mostly by teenagers, college kids, and democrats.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I smell red tears.

Bitches love them red tears.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Illuminosopher

@mandude said:

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

That depends on what dictionary you open up. A on its own, as a prefix, already has a definition, and when you combine it with theism, you arrive at the definition - without belief in god(s).

I can't see the merit in redefining it as a whole word with a unique meaning. Asexual for instance means without sexuality. It doesn't mean that asexuality is based around getting off to nothingness.

Are you trying to make my argument more valid? are you saying that denial of the existence of God or gods is different then without belief in god(s)? or is it the supernatural part because if you go around saying your an atheist that believes in the supernatural you might raise a few eyebrows.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By CaLe

@mandude said:

It doesn't mean that asexuality is based around getting off to nothingness.

Reminds me of a Bill Maher quote. "Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." Sums it up pretty well I think.

Pretty good rant.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74  Edited By Animasta

@CaLe: people on the internet make it a religion, they just worship Carl Sagan instead (you ever been to the reddit atheist board? fucking terrible the lot of them)

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75  Edited By Sackmanjones

GiantBomb: where religion lives

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DopeToast

I consider myself a thinking Catholic, if you can believe such a thing.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#77  Edited By DarthOrange

This can only end well. I am Catholic and respect everyone's decision to believe what they wish.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#78  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Contrarian said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Athei-what's Confucius doing up there? Does his system of belief count as a religion? I thought it was just a treatise on why family is totally awesome (and ghosts and stuff, I guess).

I don't even know what it is. Seriously. Never looked it up, Still, it was on the list of religions. I didn't include your Moon religion as I don't know what it is. You can be other!

On our local government census, I declared myself religion to be Jediism, as any good geek should.

Confucianism is considered a religion; during that time period, political theory, philosophy, and religion were all considered as one, with the king serving as a divine ruler. With as much of The Analects dedicated to piety to your king as there is, and with the king being considered a divine figure, it is a religion, albeit one whose divine elements have largely been watered down.

I voted "irreligious," as I do believe in spirituality and the divine, but I do not subscribe to any particular religion. If, one day, the Hindu Bhagavad Gita is what shall help me through the day, I shall read it as Gandhi once did each day; if another day, the Buddhist Dhammapada is my ally, then it shall be the book of the day as well.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By CaLe

@Animasta said:

@CaLe: people on the internet make it a religion, they just worship Carl Sagan instead (you ever been to the reddit atheist board? fucking terrible the lot of them)

I get all the religious talk I'll ever need right here on giantbomb.com. The whole reddit thing is too similar to 4chan for my liking.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By WickedFather

This "atheists say they know there's no god, which is stupid because they have no proof" shite is just cause for argument in a losing position.  I'm an atheist and I don't believe in god - it's that simple.  That puts me in the position of not having to prove anything without being right or wrong but statistically being in a more viable position.

Somebody before said that atheism is the default stance.  This also isn't true until the concept of a god has been explained to you.  It's like saying the default position is amagicspacerobotism is the default position because you don't believe in a magic space robot that does the cha-cha on your roof at night and fills all your dreams with pretty flowers and the smell of rubber ducks.

EDIT:  Also fuck religion threads.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mandude

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

Are you trying to make my argument more valid? are you saying that denial of the existence of God or gods is different then without belief in god(s)? or is it the supernatural part because if you go around saying your an atheist that believes in the supernatural you might raise a few eyebrows.

How is it not different? What you are saying would suggest, that if one does not outright deny the existence of God, then they are with belief in God.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Grixxel

Would like to believe in something but I can't bring myself to be so ignorant. Atheist :(

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#83  Edited By Danteveli

Catholic all day every day. Oh and religion talks on message boards most of the time equals nothing good.

As for Confcianism I think t can be considered a religion since many chinese I have met describe it as their believe system.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Other. Wait. Jediism?! FUCK! I picked the wrong one.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Illuminosopher

@mandude said:

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

How is it not different? What you are saying would suggest, that if one does not outright deny the existence of God, then they are with belief in God.

are you saying that an atheist is someone who thinks that there is a chance that there is a god but they just choose not to believe in it? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if your an athiest you deny the existence of a god.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Illuminosopher

@AlexanderSheen: you should of used the force.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By bibamatt

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

@Animasta said:

boom

@Illuminosopher said:

Atheism isn't extreme at all. It's a default position.

I don't believe in fairies. I don't believe in dragons. I don't believe in Zeus. I don't believe in unicorns. But I don't fence-sit on any of those and say "well, I suppose I can't disprove them, so I remain open-minded!". If you came to me and said "do you think goblins exist?", I'd say no. I'd deny their existence. I wouldn't have to prove that they don't. The person who wanted me to believe they do exist would have to prove it to make me even think twice about it. As there is and has never been any proof for any of the 3000 odd gods that humanity has believed in, Atheism is a rational position until proof is presented. Just because the stories are old and a lot of people believe them doesn't add any weight to them. That doesn't stand up.

Christians are atheists for 3000 or more Gods from history. They don't say they're agnostic about Anubis or Ra or Odin. Atheists just go one god further. I'm backing out the conversation now because I always get so sad in these threads. Just wanted to back that guy up.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#88  Edited By jewunit

@FourWude said:

@jewunit said:

J-J-J-J-J-J-J-Jew Unit!

Religious Jew or from the tribe of Goldman Sachs?

I am mostly a bagels-and-lox Jew. I go to services for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. I observe the eight days of Passover. Beyond that stuff, I really don't go to services or keep kosher. My fiance and I keep meaning to find a synagogue to go to on Fridays, but we are both kind of tired and not in much of a mood to go at that point.

I appreciate Judaism for what it means to me: the culture and some of its ideals. I find the meaning of tzedakah to be really powerful and try to be charitable, by dollar or deed, when I can. It's my religion by birth and, for what I take out of it, my religion by choice.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mandude

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

@Illuminosopher said:

are you saying that an atheist is someone who thinks that there is a chance that there is a god but they just choose not to believe in it? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if your an athiest you deny the existence of a god.

What I am saying is that an atheist simply does not believe in god(s). Anything after that, whether compatible with atheism or not, is not a part of atheism. You can deny the existence of whatever you want, but that doesn't mean it is a part of atheism, even if lots of atheists do.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Illuminosopher: I know!

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By darkdragonmage99

This isn't really a fair test even in terms of global population there is a higher % of atheists then any given religion there are more theists but they splinter off into so many different subgroups that they destroy their numbers. 

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Illuminosopher

@bibamatt said:

Atheism is not a default position, and to me someone who is an atheist and someone who believes in a god are the two extremes of this poll. So I guess what I'm saying is in my Opinion Atheism and Religion are the two extremes

darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By darkdragonmage99
@Contrarian said:

EDIT: I should have added "Amish" ............. I am not sure how many Amish video gamers there are.

More then you would think lol I live around Amish they love to put up that picture that they choose to live without technology  but that's just a front there barns are often times air-conditioned heated and lit often times they will have a frig in there yard. They use power tools talk on cell phones and ride in cars.   

mordern day Amish are simply the biggest hypocrites  you can find. 
Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Illuminosopher

@mandude said:

@Illuminosopher said:

@mandude said:

@Illuminosopher said:

What I am saying is that an atheist simply does not believe in god(s). Anything after that, whether compatible with atheism or not, is not a part of atheism. You can deny the existence of whatever you want, but that doesn't mean it is a part of atheism, even if lots of atheists do.

I think were going to have to agree to disagree because we are just going in circles.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By bibamatt

@Illuminosopher: Noted! I guess different environments could affect your view on the matter. I obviously don't know where you're from but, as a Brit, Atheism is just such a normal, regular stance (like, "of course I don't believe in gods") that it's hard for it to be seen as an extreme of an argument. If you're in a place that predominantly believes in a higher power, I could see how taking the minority stance could be seen as being on the extreme (because, let's face it, you're actively denying something that's the norm). I suppose that, in my environment, I'm never in a position where I have to deny god, just like I'm never in a position where I have to deny intelligent space teapots. It's just natural to not believe them because the other option seems nuts.

darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By darkdragonmage99
@Illuminosopher:  To deny the existence of a god would necessitate said god existing in the first place.   Simply not believing  said god exist in the first place is not the same thing.  

I understand your confusion a lot of people work under the assumption that god is there so to not believe  means your in denial.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By AlexW00d

@Illuminosopher said:

@bibamatt said:

Atheism is not a default position, and to me someone who is an atheist and someone who believes in a god are the two extremes of this poll. So I guess what I'm saying is in my Opinion Atheism and Religion are the two extremes

You cannot have an opinion on the definition of the word. I apologise for butting in, but what

Denial(also called abnegation) is a defense mechanismpostulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By bibamatt

@darkdragonmage99 said:

@Illuminosopher: To deny the existence of a game would necessitate said god existing in the first place.

Yeah, this is the key point. If you don't believe in a god, you're not taking a stance at all. If I has denying a proven, concrete thing, that's a stance. But I'm not. I'm starting out at neutral. You're going "hey! there's a guy that made us and you have to love him!". I'm looking, seeing that there's no evidence or rational though behind it and saying "nah".

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ravenlight

For a site full of duders, the obvious choice is missing here:

Dudeism

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By CaLe

@darkdragonmage99 said:

@Illuminosopher: To deny the existence of a god would necessitate said god existing in the first place. Simply not believing said god exist in the first place is not the same thing. I understand your confusion a lot of people work under the assumption that god is there so to not believe means your in denial.

That's a logical fallacy if I've ever seen one. I believe that is referred to as argumentum ad populum. ( appeal to the people )

"In logic, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so."
This type of argument is known by several names, including appeal to the masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority of the many, and bandwagon fallacy, and in Latin as argumentum ad numerum ("appeal to the number"), and consensus gentium ("agreement of the clans"). It is also the basis of a number of social phenomena, including communal reinforcement and the bandwagon effect. The Chinese proverb "three men make a tiger" concerns the same idea."

That about covers it. If we followed this logic, it would actually have to be argued that you are the one who is in denial, as atheism is leading the poll. However, since it's a fallacious argument to begin with, there's no need for that.