musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi
No Caption Provided

So, Frank Ocean is getting ready to release his newest album. Channel Orange. So who is Frank Ocean you ask? One of the best talents in the R&B scene right now hands down. For years he worked behind the scenes writing songs for top acts like Beyonce and John Legend. It wasn't until he joined the Odd Future when he started actually bringing his talents to the forefront. This is his first real solo effort although he has done stuff with OF like I mentioned as well as Jay-Z and Kanye. Why am I bothering typing this out? Because I genuinely think Frank is one of the best things that has happened to music in general in a long while. Especially the R&B scene. Chris Brown, Rihanna etc.. are all just pop acts that know how to get airplay on R&B stations. Frank Ocean however has real soul to his music. Guy as a killer voice.

The album is listed as coming out the 17th on Amazon. I think you might actually be able to grab it on iTunes right now though. There are also a few tracks of his on Spotify. I would highly encourage everyone to go listen to some of his stuff. Also for you OF fans motherfucking Earl Sweatshirt is on Channel Orange too! Anyways, most of you most likely won't give a fuck and thats fine. We all have our collective music tastes. Hopefully though some of you will buy Channel Orange and support Frank and his solo career so we can here more fucking awesome music from him. Peace out.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

I'll listen to his stuff later tonight, since I like a bit of r and b

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I'm a fan of a lot of pre-80's Rhythm & Blues but I can't say I listen to much contemporary R&B. Last time I gave much time to it, was Craig David's debut, and that was mostly just because I'm English and it was a pretty big deal here in the UK so I wanted to see what it was all about. I ended up liking some tracks because of the UK garage vibe, but not much of the genre has caught my interest since.

Anyway, I'm kinda liking the style of the track in the video so count me in, I'll be checking out more.

Cheers for the heads up mate.

:)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

I don't listen to much R&B, but that video was great. Will look into some other songs on the youtubes.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Philantrophy

I agree with your sentiment about his previous album being one of the best things to come out from that scene.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, it isn't bad, not at all. But I'm not really liking it, and I certainly don't like the voice.

Who knows, maybe I just need to listen to it a couple of times, but it isn't something that is immediately clicking with me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By musubi

@Village_Guy: Hey, I've done that with a lot of music. Some stuff I'll have to listen to over and over until it finally clicks with me. Least you gave it a try!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

I love it. Pyramids is a Paranoid Android for this generation. Dude's a real talent.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By david3cm

I bought the album last night on iTunes. I like it for the most part, but it isnt really strong as a whole. There are a few tracks that I really enjoy but it isnt a consistent high throughout the entire thing. I also find it a little strange that 90% percent of the songs on the album address his love of woman, when he came out a week ago. I realize most of these songs were written over the past year or two but it just seems a little strange. All and all I like it, I think I was just building it up in my head since it's announcement.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

@Demoskinos: I didn't know you liked Frank Ocean.

Anyway, anyone who wants to give it a listen, you can listen to the who album at earmilk.com.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By musubi

@BraveToaster: Yeah, ever since I started listening to Odd Future I've really wanted some more solo stuff from him. His track off Odd Future Tape vol 2 "White" is also fantastic.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By realph

Channel Orange is amazing! Might be one of, if not, the best R&B album I've heard in the last 10 years. Here's one of my favourite tracks off the album:

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By benpicko

It's been out for a few days now on iTunes. It's really good. Pyramids is still my favourite song on it though.

Earl Sweatshirt on Super Rich Kids is really good as well. Andre 3000 is great as always.

Here's a free stream of it from his tumblr.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

@david3cm said:

I bought the album last night on iTunes. I like it for the most part, but it isnt really strong as a whole. There are a few tracks that I really enjoy but it isnt a consistent high throughout the entire thing. I also find it a little strange that 90% percent of the songs on the album address his love of woman, when he came out a week ago. I realize most of these songs were written over the past year or two but it just seems a little strange. All and all I like it, I think I was just building it up in my head since it's announcement.

Maybe he likes men and women.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Nev

Liking what I've heard here, definitely have to look into this album. Thanks!

BlackN9ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlackN9ne

Nice post! I got the album a few days ago and have been enjoying it, a lot. My favorite songs are Pink Matter, White, Crack Rock, Pyramids and Super Rich kids(More so the concept than the sound). I think everyone should give this a try!

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By david3cm

@BraveToaster: Sure, that is a possibility. I posted after hearing all the buzz on twitter from people saying he is gay. I am enjoying the album more and more I listen to it either way.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WMWA

Album was pretty damn good. A little too long, couple songs could have been cut. But it's a fucking fantastic debut album. Leaps beyond Nostalgia, Ultra and anything on the Lonny Breaux collection.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His songs are pretty amazing.  I havent checked out any of the songs on his album but he made me like an Odd Future song.   His singing is fantastic.

This is a link for an album stream
WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WMWA
@EuanDewar
I love it. Pyramids is a Paranoid Android for this generation. Dude's a real talent.
But Paranoid Android is already this generation’s Happiness is a Warm Gun. ;)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By musubi

God. Super Rich Kids might be one of my new favorites songs.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By beargirl1

i heard crack rock and i thought it was great. dude's got talent.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By musubi

@AjayRaz said:

i heard crack rock and i thought it was great. dude's got talent.

This whole album is sex for my ears.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RainDog505

Best Prince album since Sign o The Times.

I kid...though Ocean definitely has some Prince-esqe tones to his voice. Regardless, I love the record to pieces. It's the score to all my late night walks as of late...and probably will be well past the summer. Glad some fellow duders are digging it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster

I went back to listen to this album again and it sounds better than the first time I heard it. Pyramid is a devastatingly refreshing display of his vocals, and the second half chills you the hell out.