Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By captain_clayman

Well we're not really a full band yet but we got together on saturday and wrote up a pretty sweet riff.  it's still a work in progress (i admit the intro is kinda shaky) but we think it's pretty good so far.

make sure to watch in 720p though, the audio quality isnt great as it was recorded with my really crappy camera.  actually it's a pretty nice little camera but not for audio that is. 

EDIT:  PS that's me on the drums and my friend on the guitar.
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By captain_clayman

bumpski

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#3  Edited By donutfever

Not bad, good sir. Not bad at all.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By beej

If I might submit a small criticism, it seems as though what you and your friend are playing have no relation to each other, listen at around 2:13 or so to see what I'm getting at. It's just discordant at best, or at least at that time. I'd work a little more on melding your parts. 

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By captain_clayman
@beej said:
" If I might submit a small criticism, it seems as though what you and your friend are playing have no relation to each other, listen at around 2:13 or so to see what I'm getting at. It's just discordant at best, or at least at that time. I'd work a little more on melding your parts.  "
that part sounds good to me man.  there's a couple off parts in the beginning but i actually thought that part synced really well.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beej
@captain_clayman: Well you're making music for yourselves, so feel free to disregard what I'm saying. 
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetheldod
@captain_clayman said:
" @beej said:
" If I might submit a small criticism, it seems as though what you and your friend are playing have no relation to each other, listen at around 2:13 or so to see what I'm getting at. It's just discordant at best, or at least at that time. I'd work a little more on melding your parts.  "
that part sounds good to me man.  there's a couple off parts in the beginning but i actually thought that part synced really well. "
Yeah , the first power cording is the one that is the most unsynced , but I think with more practice of your songs you will play better , I really liked the intro :) but then again I listen to a lot of black metal so dont take my word on that :P , but honestly you guys have a good thing going there , you just need a vocal and you are set (bass is over rated) looking foward for more songs ;)
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By npeterson08

I'm catchin' Bieber fever.

Seriously though, that wasn't bad.

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By captain_clayman
@npeterson08 said:
" I'm catchin' Bieber fever.  Seriously though, that wasn't bad. "
i resent this remark. 

trust me my hair doesnt look nearly as bieberish from the front
Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Jaktajj
@captain_clayman: Speaking as someone who's played live a whole bunch and written quite a lot of music, it's pretty good stuff man. I agree with you, the part at 2:13 sounds fine to me. Work some proper structure into it and tighten up the loosey-goosey parts and it'll sound real good!
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Not bad at all,would be interesting to see you guys with a singer though. The 1:10 part kind of bummed me out :(

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By captain_clayman

yeah we didnt really write this with a singer in mind, so i dont know how that would work.  i dont even know anyone who can sing, but one day...
we just wrote a bunch of riffs and put them in a sequence and the drums were pretty much improv. 
and the last two minutes were completely on the spot.

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By IcySandman

Sounds pretty good (Is this your guys first jam?).  Yeah if you guys can come up with stuff like this and practice you could be a tight group!

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Mighty

First off I want to welcome another drummer and give you a "HELL YEAH "  because drummers are awsome (I don't play the set much, but I do play snare for my college line). 

Yes, it could use some work, but I'm not one to criticize much. It's better than I could do on the set (but I challenge you to beat me at a marching snare).

Plus, it's nice to see kids getting together to just jam! I love it!

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Malakhii
@captain_clayman said:
" yeah we didnt really write this with a singer in mind, so i dont know how that would work.  i dont even know anyone who can sing, but one day...we just wrote a bunch of riffs and put them in a sequence and the drums were pretty much improv. and the last two minutes were completely on the spot. "
You could just autotune yourself to shit, that seems to be in now days. But this is definitely a good start, alot of great bands usually form on solid instrumentals and add a singer later on in the process. Plus being in a band will get you laid. It's a damn fact. 
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By captain_clayman
@Malakhii said:
" @captain_clayman said:
" yeah we didnt really write this with a singer in mind, so i dont know how that would work.  i dont even know anyone who can sing, but one day...we just wrote a bunch of riffs and put them in a sequence and the drums were pretty much improv. and the last two minutes were completely on the spot. "
You could just autotune yourself to shit, that seems to be in now days. But this is definitely a good start, alot of great bands usually form on solid instrumentals and add a singer later on in the process. Plus being in a band will get you laid. It's a damn fact.  "
HAHAHA no autotune dont even joke like that. 
seriously. 

and maybe, one day being in a band will get me laid.  i'll hold you to that statement.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

The intro might sound better with a little less distortion. He could also try palm muting in a few spots, but I see what you guys were going for.

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captain_clayman
@natetodamax said:
" The intro might sound better with a little less distortion. He could also try palm muting in a few spots, but I see what you guys were going for. "
yeah the pedal we have is kinda hard to switch with but i agree.  and yeah i told him he needs to work on his palm muting lol
spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spudtastic

Decent jams. Keep playing.

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By captain_clayman
@spudtastic said:
" Decent jams. Keep playing. "
we're gonna do it again this weekend.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You made me stop Nick Drake to listen to this. 

It was pretty good. You need to settle down with your drumming though - dynamics are a good thing.

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By captain_clayman
@Khann said:
" You made me stop Nick Drake to listen to this.   It was pretty good. You need to settle down with your drumming though - dynamics are a good thing. "
right...i get kinda...too into it sometimes.   

also never had official lessons.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_clayman said:
" @Khann said:
" You made me stop Nick Drake to listen to this.   It was pretty good. You need to settle down with your drumming though - dynamics are a good thing. "
right...i get kinda...too into it sometimes.    also never had official lessons. "
Yeah not saying your drumming was bad by any means, just that full on drumming isn't always what is needed. Especially for quite a post-rocky type song; the drums can change the whole feel of the song.
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By captain_clayman
@Khann said:
" @captain_clayman said:
" @Khann said:
right...i get kinda...too into it sometimes.    also never had official lessons. "
Yeah not saying your drumming was bad by any means, just that full on drumming isn't always what is needed. Especially for quite a post-rocky type song; the drums can change the whole feel of the song. "
yeah i see what you mean...i think we're gonna try and make the song a little more...metal-ish
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clinkz

What the opening riff reminded me of.

It wasn't bad though but you guys kinda seemed off sync in the  middle.
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By captain_clayman
@Clinkz said:
"   
  What the opening riff reminded me of.   It wasn't bad though but you guys kinda seemed off sync in the  middle. "
in my defense i havent heard this song before.  actually i have but i havent heard the intro.
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fripplebubby

Better than me! 

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By matpaget

Both instruments are a little sloppy. 
But you guys are definitely on the right track! 
Both of you should play with a metronome when practicing alone, it makes a world of difference in keeping you guys playing tighter! 
Seriously though, good luck with this little jam thing you've got going!

I hope you don't think I'm insulting you, I think you guys have a lot of potential.  
I really enjoyed watching this because it reminded me of my buddy and I when we started jamming.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By awesomeusername
@npeterson08 said:
" I'm catchin' Bieber fever.   
(Smacks you in the back of the head with a bat, then hangs you upside down and wakes you up with gasoline in your mouth and lights you up inside out.)
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Example1013
@MatPaget: Drums are sort of supposed to be the metronome, so I think you just unintentionally slighted the OP. 

Needs a bass, I'll be honest. It's fine for a jam, but you need to either get someone who can play bass, or you need to pre-record the bass track and play it back along with you. 

I have other comments, but I'll keep them to myself, since they're probably extremely rude.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@captain_clayman:
Sounds pretty good, man.  What kind of music do you listen to?  Because I'm getting an Intronaut kind of vibe from this.
yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By yoctoyotta

Keep it up!

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Man, as a guy who played drums in a band in high school, this is giving me flashbacks. Not bad at all, especially considering that you haven't taken lessons. Nice double bass. My advice would be to try to be a little less busy. It's really tempting to do fills every four measures but when you ration them out a bit, everyone prospers. Keep jamming.

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Videogames

As a fellow drummer, it's always nice to just go crazy during a jam and just have fun, but you should probably give your friend a little more room when playing. Let those guitar riffs play out and do the cool fills every couple measures. Other wise just keep jamming. KEEP IT TIGHT YO!

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGremp

It was alright, just gotta calm down a bit.  Less is more.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By audiosnag

Fresh beats kid fresh beats.
Keep it up.

captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By captain_clayman

hopefully we're gonna do a revised edition of this tomorrow or friday

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By audiosnag

Getting some bass in there would be pretty rad once you refine the parts you have. Also as a fellow drummer (although not as good as you) you should check out Jimmy Chamberlin and Jon Theodore. Those guys are rediculous.