• 56 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for psylah
#1 Posted by psylah (2292 posts) -

I have been tasked at my place of employment with coming up with a suitable film to play at our... Holiday party... in December...

The issue is that there are plenty of people who work here that are Jewish, so an overtly Christmas-y film would probably be out-of-place.

Are there any holiday-themed films that aren't straight-up Christmas? The few I could come up with are kind of messed up, like The Shining, or Die Hard 1 and 2. Even Scrooged gets kind of dark toward the end.

Are there any Hanukkah films? Preferably without Adam Sandler?

Avatar image for craigieh28
#2 Posted by craigieh28 (86 posts) -

Groundhog Day? It's wintery, it's snowy and it's extremely life-affirming, but has nothing to do with Christmas.

Avatar image for phatmac
#3 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

Die Hard.

Avatar image for yi_orange
#4 Edited by YI_Orange (1331 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

The right answer. Die Hard is hardly messed up. It's just great. If anyone objects you don't want them at your party.

Avatar image for jasonr86
#5 Posted by JasonR86 (10178 posts) -

I like CHRISTMAS Story myself.

Avatar image for zeforgotten
#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -
@psylah said:

I have been tasked at my place of employment with coming up with a suitable film to play at our... Holiday party... in December...

The issue is that there are plenty of people who work here that are Jewish, so an overtly Christmas-y film would probably be out-of-place.

Are there any holiday-themed films that aren't straight-up Christmas? The few I could come up with are kind of messed up, like The Shining, or Die Hard 1 and 2. Even Scrooged gets kind of dark toward the end.

Are there any Hanukkah films? 

Well, there is that one cartoon with Ada... 
 

Preferably without Adam Sandler?

God dang it
Avatar image for fredchuckdave
#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10220 posts) -

It's a motherfucking Wonderful Life motherfuckers.

Avatar image for tylea002
#8 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Avatar image for katygaga
#9 Posted by KatyGaGa (501 posts) -

Happiness

Avatar image for ducksworth
#10 Posted by Ducksworth (671 posts) -

Full Court MiracleIt's about a group of young Jewish kids who are determined to prove themselves by winning a high school basketball tournament.

Avatar image for banefirelord
#11 Posted by BaneFireLord (3219 posts) -
@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

This is the only right answer.
Avatar image for getz
#12 Posted by Getz (3764 posts) -

Yentl?

Avatar image for fredchuckdave
#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10220 posts) -

Jingle All the Way also an American Classic

Avatar image for fox01313
#14 Posted by fox01313 (5206 posts) -

One rather great holiday movie that's often overlooked is a holiday themed fantasy film called 'Hogfather' from one of Terry Pratchett's books.

Intro & trailer below, as for the book/movie, here's the info: The film (compiled from a tv miniseries) closely follows the plot of the novel, in which the Hogfather, the Discworld equivalent to Father Christmas, has gone missing and Death is forced to take his place while his granddaughter Susan attempts to find out what happened.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Avatar image for warlordpayne
#15 Posted by WarlordPayne (774 posts) -

It's a Wonderful Life, it has hardly anything to do with Christmas but it's considered a holiday movie.

Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#16 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

Trading Places (1983) - Set during the holidays, but has little to do with Santa, Baby Jesus or stupid Angels and wings.

Elf (2003) - Has Santa stuff and is set around Christmas, but really is more of a winter holiday rom-com

Home Alone (1990) - The second installment also counts, but let's face it, who the fuck wants to watch that one?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)- It doesn't matter what denomination you are, or if you have none, everybody can relate to annoying in-laws and family gatherings all going so horribly wrong. Also, fuck anybody who opposes it, this is THE BEST HOLIDAY MOVIE OF ALL TIME. (Fuck you, A Christmas Story.)

Love Actually (2003) - Not really a PG rated film, if that's going to be an issue, but is a generally funny rom-com that mocks the holiday season more than embracing it's inherent Christian bias.

Avatar image for geekdown
#17 Posted by GeekDown (1179 posts) -

Jack Frost is the best christmas movie! Michael Keaton as a snowman...that's all I have to say!

Avatar image for labman
#18 Edited by labman (296 posts) -

Like said Love Actually is a great choice...it's one of my favourites movies of all time. Don't let the whole rom-com thing throw you, it's actually a very good movie and quite funny to boot. But, be forewarned, there is some minor nudity if that's a problem.

Avatar image for fattony12000
#19 Edited by Fattony12000 (8273 posts) -
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#20 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

@Labman: Also, some of the best Bill Nighy being Bill Nighy since Shaun of the Dead

Avatar image for vinny_says
#21 Posted by Vinny_Says (5914 posts) -

Home Alone 1 & 2? I dunno. Is that Chevy Chase movie too christmassy?

Avatar image for mikkaq
#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

It's always Die Hard. Everyone loves that movie no matter your gender, race or creed. It's a holiday classic. If you're the one person who doesn't like it, well... you're the grinch.

@allworkandlowpay: Why The French Connection? I mean it's awesome, but any holiday references totally slipped my mind. It has been a while.

Avatar image for the_ruiner
#23 Posted by The_Ruiner (1609 posts) -

Home Alone

Avatar image for deano546
#24 Posted by deano546 (194 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

.

And maybe the Home Alone movies? I guess they are pretty "Christmas-y" though.

Avatar image for markwahlberg
#25 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4714 posts) -

@craigieh28 said:

Groundhog Day? It's wintery, it's snowy and it's extremely life-affirming, but has nothing to do with Christmas.

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Avatar image for nlghtcrawler
#26 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1219 posts) -

I just now remembered The Titans.

Avatar image for labman
#27 Posted by labman (296 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Labman: Also, some of the best Bill Nighy being Bill Nighy since Shaun of the Dead

Exactly! Gotta love Bill Nighy. THREAD JACK: Have you seen The Boat That Rocked (aka Pirate Radio)? Great flick and soundtrack.

Avatar image for nohthink
#28 Posted by nohthink (1369 posts) -

Die Hard

Avatar image for fredchuckdave
#29 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10220 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Was he picking his feet in poughkeepsie? I recall it looking cold in the French Connection. I'm assuming no one here is black, it's possible you'd find Doyle offensive if you were though it was meant to be "edgy." Since the OP was worried about Christmas being too Christmassy I think Racism being too Racist-y is probably a tad more of an issue, though it's all the director's prerogative in the case of that film (Hackman was reluctant).

Avatar image for allworkandlowpay
#30 Posted by allworkandlowpay (928 posts) -

@Labman: I'll see if it's on Netflix instant stream. It's the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman right? I remember seeing the trailers and it sorta slipped under my radar.

Avatar image for fallen189
#31 Posted by Fallen189 (5453 posts) -

The answer you're looking for is "Bad Santa"

Avatar image for mlarrabee
#32 Posted by mlarrabee (3850 posts) -

It's a Wonderful Life

Elf

@Fattony12000: I think this is the best post I've seen all year.

Avatar image for werupenstein
#33 Posted by Kidavenger (4168 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

I'm not normally a fan of older movies, but this one really blew me away with how good it was.

Avatar image for justin258
#34 Posted by Justin258 (14374 posts) -
@Fredchuckdave

It's a motherfucking Wonderful Life motherfuckers.

Motherfucking this.
Online
Avatar image for izzygraze
#35 Posted by IzzyGraze (914 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

What are the names of these movies? They're the only ones I can't guess.

For the OP. I agree that Groundhog Day is a great choice but I'm not so sure it's great for a party. People probably won't be listening to or paying attention to the movie so much. I'd go for a movie that is pretty screwed up or weird. That way you don't have to pay attention and it's a conversation piece. Maybe Gremlins? Nightmare before Christmas seems like a nice movie too but may be too Christmas-y. But yeah, if your office is kind of awkward and people will definitely be watching the movie because they don't want to talk to eachother then I would go with Groundhog Day.

Avatar image for alexandersheen
#36 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Die Hard.

I have a machine gun. Hohoho.

Avatar image for labman
#37 Posted by labman (296 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay: That's the one! It's on Netflix Canada under the name Pirate Radio.

Avatar image for immortalsaiyan
#38 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4748 posts) -

@Fattony12000: What are those movies. Well, I know some of them but not many.

Avatar image for david3cm
#39 Posted by david3cm (678 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

It's a Wonderful Life, it has hardly anything to do with Christmas but it's considered a holiday movie.

Hell yes. That movie is unintentionally hilarious, and legitimately awesome.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#40 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7012 posts) -

Although it's not Christmas,Plains,Trains,and Automobiles is a great Holiday movie.Every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas it's a must watch.

Avatar image for breadfan
#41 Posted by breadfan (6803 posts) -
@Fredchuckdave

It's a motherfucking Wonderful Life motherfuckers.

Avatar image for mattyftm
#42 Edited by MattyFTM (14804 posts) -

You play movies at your work Christmas party? Isn't the whole point of a works Christmas party to get as drunk as humanly possible and make a massive fool out of yourself in front of your co-workers? That doesn't sound like the optimal conditions to watch a movie in.

Moderator
Avatar image for twolines
#43 Posted by TwoLines (3508 posts) -

Die Hard and Home Alone. Also, Die Hard 3, cause it's awesome.

Avatar image for penguindust
#44 Posted by PenguinDust (12994 posts) -

Gremlins. Slightly less violent than Die Hard and far less annoying than Home Alone.

Avatar image for warlordpayne
#45 Posted by WarlordPayne (774 posts) -

@IzzyGraze: The first one is The Hudsucker Proxy, don't know the other two.

Avatar image for mandude
#46 Posted by mandude (2827 posts) -

I believe that someone mentioned The Hogfather, so I will echo that: The Hogfather.

Avatar image for mordukai
#47 Posted by mordukai (8482 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I like CHRISTMAS Story myself.

Fudge!!!! I was about to post the same.

Avatar image for fattony12000
#48 Posted by Fattony12000 (8273 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

It's a Wonderful Life

Elf

@Fattony12000: I think this is the best post I've seen all year.

I know! Right!?

@Kidavenger said:

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

I'm not normally a fan of older movies, but this one really blew me away with how good it was.

I know! Right!? Watch more old films like Metropolis and The Great Dictator and Seven Samurai, please.

@IzzyGraze said:

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

What are the names of these movies? They're the only ones I can't guess.

For the OP. I agree that Groundhog Day is a great choice but I'm not so sure it's great for a party. People probably won't be listening to or paying attention to the movie so much. I'd go for a movie that is pretty screwed up or weird. That way you don't have to pay attention and it's a conversation piece. Maybe Gremlins? Nightmare before Christmas seems like a nice movie too but may be too Christmas-y. But yeah, if your office is kind of awkward and people will definitely be watching the movie because they don't want to talk to eachother then I would go with Groundhog Day.

From left to right:

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994, directed by Joel Coen).

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010, directed by Jalmari Helander).

Dreams of a Life (2011, directed by Carol Morley).

Avatar image for nightriff
#49 Posted by Nightriff (7122 posts) -

Planes Trains and Automobiles is the best holiday film ever, sure its a Thanksgiving movie but fuck it, its awesome.

Avatar image for psylah
#50 Posted by psylah (2292 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

You play movies at your work Christmas party? Isn't the whole point of a works Christmas party to get as drunk as humanly possible and make a massive fool out of yourself in front of your co-workers? That doesn't sound like the optimal conditions to watch a movie in.

It's for atmosphere, the sound wouldn't even be on.