Contact Lenses vs Glasses

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mrskidders

Today is a good day.  I just got my first set of contact lenses and they are amazing, so clear, so easy and cheap as well.  I hesitated to use them because I go out every night for "drinks" and I was worried about falling asleep with them in.  I am also bad with glasses and breaking them but I do like the way they look.  Turns out contacts are win.  What do people on the bomb prefer and wear.  I can't believe people don't wear them as everyone knows making love to yourself ruins your eyes.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

I wear glasses but they aren't adjusted at all.  They filter out certain light waves that my eyes are sensitive to.  Mostly blues. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

I would never, ever put anything in my eyes. I never bother to wear my glasses yet alone put the effort into putting things on my eyeballs.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

I've wore glasses for about 12 years now (I'm 18) and I won't ever go to contacts. I love wearing glasses for some reason. I told my eye doctor that and he thought I was joking.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I use contact lenses, I hated wearing glasses.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

I wear glasses. I did wear contacts for a while when I was young, but prefer glasses now.

lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By lolicanseeyou
@Claude: not to be rude, but how long have they been out?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I would never use contact lenses. I don't know what could possess someone to want to wake up every morning and poke themselves in the eye!!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Claude
@lolicanseeyou said:
" @Claude: not to be rude, but how long have they been out? "
I wore contacts from the age of 16 to 19. That's.... 26 years since they've been out. I did try them again when I was 25, but they didn't last a week.
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By unchained

Laser surgery!

Actually, I had laser sugery done ten years ago and went from brutal vision to better than 20/20, but now find myself needing glasses again because of  astigmatism . I'll be buying contacts again if my vision deteriorates further. I just prefer not to wear glasses.

lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lolicanseeyou
@Claude: no offense, but i didn't know they made them back then
Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onigenko

I prefer glasses, have been wearing them so long that seeing myself without them is weird.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By rjayb89

I didn't know contact lenses existed in the stone age.  =P 

Anyways, it depends.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By nanikore
@lolicanseeyou: Contact lenses have been around since the 19th century, but they were stiff and took a long time getting used to.
Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Riddell

Contact lenses. I hate my vision being blocked by frames. Will definitely be looking at getting lase eye surgery sometime soon. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Claude
@lolicanseeyou said:

" @Claude: no offense, but i didn't know they made them back then "

Contact lens have been around for a while. I never wore the glass ones. Mine were flexible. I just checked Wikipedia and they're older than I thought... like real old. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_lens
CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By CastroCasper

Man, I love my contacts. I used to wear glasses every day but then I got contacts like you have. They were an okay substitute for the "fish bowl" effect of glasses, but I got sick of having to take them out. I now, and have had for about 2 years, day and night contacts. They are amazing, you put them in once, and take them out after 30 days. I usually take them out once a week to clean and let my eyes breath more, but they are pretty great. It is nice waking up first thing and being able to see, now I know how you non glasses wearers feel.

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godlovesugly

I rock a pair of ray bans YEAHHHH!
Also I love girls in glasses.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JP_Russell

I've only had glasses for a few years now, and I only really need them for driving (I also use them when playing games or watching a movie, though, just because I like the image to be as sharp as possible).  I've never worn contact lenses, but I personally feel like they'd be more of a bother than glasses.  Taking the time to put them in and take them out of my eyeballs and wash them seems like way too much trouble just to not have frames sitting on my head.  Plus, friends I've known that wore contact lenses occasionally had trouble with them falling out when they would blink just the wrong way or something.  I definitely wouldn't want to put up with that.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ben99
@Mrskidders said:
" Today is a good day.  I just got my first set of contact lenses and they are amazing, so clear, so easy and cheap as well.  I hesitated to use them because I go out every night for "drinks" and I was worried about falling asleep with them in.  I am also bad with glasses and breaking them but I do like the way they look.  Turns out contacts are win.  What do people on the bomb prefer and wear.  I can't believe people don't wear them as everyone knows making love to yourself ruins your eyes. "
I started wearing contact lenses  like a year ago and I love them . I use the monthly ones that come as three pairs in one package . I use one pair for the whole month without taking them off. It feels like I don't have them on at all 
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Usually glasses because I always fall alseep watching videos and don't want to sleep in my contacts too much -- and I'm really fucking lazy. So I bought the flexible glasses frames that aren't supposed to break... but they recently did. I've been wearing these contacts for about a month now. My prescription is the same for both eyes but my right eye is always blurry when I wear contacts, but not with glasses. However contacts let me see so much more and make my screens seem much larger than they do with glasses.

Tough call. I really wish I had glasses right about now cause these contacts are killing me. Once I left them in so long I got a corneal ulcer. That fucker was unbearable. 

Anybody get laser eye surgery?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I find the idea of sticking shit into my eye to be unappealing. Never tried it, though, so who knows, maybe it tickles.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pazy

Glasses all the way, I cant bear to put things near my eyes. And once i have my Glasses on I dont realise anymore.

Avatar image for eyecareprofessional
eyecareprofessional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wear both. Personally I like both because contacts are good if your going out, it feels all natural but glasses are excellent for around the house cause your not in the bathroom for 10 minutes getting them on and off. :) But overall, I like contacts more :)

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wore glasses for most of my life but switched to contacts like two years ago. Haven't looked back since. Putting contacts in at the crack of dawn with bloodshot eyes can be irritating but it's worth it for me. Sleeping with them in isn't too bad every now and again, you'll want them out when you wake up, but my friend just leaves his in for months at a time. I don't know how he does it.

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@everyones_a_critic: I totally leave mine in most of the time, though not months as I get sent three sets of one month contacts every three months and keep them in the majority of that month I mean sometimes there a bit irritating in the morning due to eyes being dry bust usually just squezing your eye a little with your eyelids closed sorts that out. My opticians also sell eye drops for dry eyes that can be used with contacts in and that helps alot. I think the main reason your not supposed to keep them in at least past the month is just because the longer you use them the more chance some germs can get on them and cause infections.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 9cupsoftea

I was so happy when I switched to contacts and should have done it years ago. Playing sports with glasses was a real pain, so was walking in the rain, walking into a hot bar when it's cold outside, eating a steaming bowl of noodles, having no periphery vision, showering while half-blind, having marks on my nose, wearing over-ear headphones, having to constantly clean them, ugh...

I would recommend at least trying them to anyone, they're so much easier to use than I had imagined.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've worn glasses for so long I don't like the way I look without them now.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Contact lenses. Only nerds wear glasses!

But seriously if Im wearing glasses they always seem to be in the way so I choose contacts.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Humanity

I switched to contacts for a few years and it was a nice change. The small perks such as no more fogging over, no more cleaning, no more issues when walking in the rain, are right away recognizable by people who wear glasses on a regular basis. That said there is something also quite comfortable about the flexibility of glasses. You can take them off at any time - with contacts not so much. I've switched back to glasses as of two years ago out of pure laziness and have been ok with the decision.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By medacris

Glasses. I don't like myself or anyone else touching my eyes, and I'm prone to migraines, so I don't think contacts are really an option for me.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I prefer glasses, myself. I tried contacts years back when I was in high school, and just couldn't get used to them.

Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much prefer contacts, but if I'm not planning on going out then glasses are just easier around the house (and I use disposable contacts, so prefer not to waste them).

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By intro

I wear contacts mostly and prefer them overall. They aren't cheap (I'm gonna go to a cheaper brand soon so they're more affordable, assuming the cheaper brand is comfortable), but I love them.

I use mine all day, 6am-1230am a lot, and rarely have problems with them. I just don't like having glasses on when I'm at work or doing something outside, especially in the heat. Having them on my face in the heat just bothers me and sweat makes them feel loose like they'll fall. Which is another problem in itself. I don't have to worry about my contacts falling out when I look down or get bumped by something. So I just wear my glasses when I'm sitting around at home or staring at a computer a lot. That way they won't get bent and need adjusted if I hit them while working.

Although, there have been times where my contacts just don't feel good and I can't tolerate wearing them. Sometimes if there's something underneath it or my eye will be scratched, so I'll take a few days off from wearing them and use my glasses. Don't get me wrong, I love my glasses, but prefer my contacts.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use reading glasses, cause I'm far-sighted. Don't think I'd ever get "reading contacts". That just seems to be too much of a hassle.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

Wow, old thread. Anyway, I actually like the way I look in glasses. Too bad my vision is perfect. I'm not sure I've got it in me to wear non-prescription glass in public, though.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By Sergio

I wear contacts because I have bad eyesight and hate the thickness of the lens if I were to wear glasses. I'm considering getting either LASIK or lens replacement surgery.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Whoa! Old thread. Well, I prefer glasses.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glasses. I can't touch my eyes. Takes forever to even get eyedrops in.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The people in this thread who are wearing contacts for a month without removing them need to speak to an Optometrist. You can cause severe long-term damage by leaving your contacts in for too long. Even if it feels fine now, you can be doing significant, permanent damage to your vision.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onigenko said:

I prefer glasses, have been wearing them so long that seeing myself without them is weird.

What he said.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I prefer glasses. Tried wearing contacts and I hated it.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rick_Fingers

Tried really hard to wear contacts after it got to the stage where I had to wear glasses constantly, as I really hate glasses that aren't sunnies.

Unfortunately, my eyes tend drier than normal, so I had a lot of trouble with contacts, including discomfort when in and weird halos of colour at the corners of my vision. I had to give them up after persisting for a couple of months because it got to the stage where I couldn't work with them in.

I'm scheduled for laser eye surgery once I get back from PAX in Melbourne, so I am hoping that will do it and be successful (I have an astigmatism as well, so possibility I will need a touch up)

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I need to social I tend to go with contacts, but otherwise I generally avoid stuffing something in my eye.

There was this once I probably had bad/dirty contacts and had them on for 12+ hours. When I took them off my eyes were red for a week straight. Scared the shit out of me. And to be honest, wearing contacts too much is gonna cause some serious eye damage... and we have yet seen how taxing it is to the eye from our young generation which started wearing contacts everyday.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was told contacts were bad for your eyes so I never ditched my glasses for em......

...but the idea of being able to buy some contacts with cool strange eye colors has always intrigued me! I would get some red and green separate sets.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Disaya

I prefer wearing glasses, my eye doctor has constantly hassled me to get contacts since late middle school/early high school, but I've always refused. I don't want to put anything in or near my eyes I guess and I have to admit I'm a little freaked out about the whole laser surgery. But I like my glasses, never really had a problem with them.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By Levio

Wow, a necro that's not a waste of time.

Glasses for me. I have acne and IMO glasses help distract from the acne. Don't know if I'd choose contacts otherwise, I imagine my life would be a billion times different with a nice looking face.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My eyes get dry when I wear contact lenses, so I find glasses more comfortable but they are useful when playing sport or engaging in physical activities.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Eyes freak me out. I couldn't even imagine putting things directly onto my eye. I have no problem wearing glasses, as I've been doing so for 15 years now.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's quite simple for me - both. I wear glasses at home or when my eyes feel tired. When I'm out, I'm usually with lenses. More comfortable - rain and snow aren't a problem, you don't worry about them falling off and you have your peripheral vision which is important while driving.

@mrskidders - Here are some head ups for you. Sleeping with lenses won't do you anything than dry your eyes and make them stick to your eyelids. Sleeping regularly with them isn't recommended. However there are some lenses that permit you sleeping with them without drying. Now I'd recommend that you try simple monthly lenses and if you like them, continue with them AND your glasses (just in case you rip a lens by accident or your eyes feel sore). Keep in mind that in the beginning it might feel uncomfortable but that's a normal reaction and it really depends on the type of lens you get. Good luck.