Corona (COVID-19)- is it affecting you?

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#351  Edited By north6

@monkeyking1969: Thank you for this post, I think a lot of people feel similarly, myself included. The honest posts around mental health are my favorite thing about this community. This is the biggest social experiment in human history, there is no right or wrong way to feel. I've thought about what it must be like to still be employed during this time.

I think people feel guilty for still having a job, increased pressure for working with what has to be reduced staff. Essential workers are heroes, but I hope everyone takes pride and can take some satisfaction in the work they do.

(me) Those who laid off feel a mix of obvious financial pressures, some guilt about not wanting to return to work because they feel they have some meaning in their time off in pursuing personal development... so going back and forth on thoughts about work. A lot. I'm taking classes, and the focus and structure I get from this is the best thing for me. It clears the mind, similar to meditation.

Stay strong.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#352  Edited By MonkeyKing1969

@inevpatoria: Yeah, I probably should talk to my sister honestly about being depressed. I did talk to my mom today about my frustrations, but kept my voice cheerful. I didn't go deep, but vocing frustratiosn help in a small way too.

north6 thanks for you kind words. And, thanks for everyoen who read my post.

NexivSelecaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#353  Edited By NexivSelecaf

Painting is keeping me sane. Painting is technically my occupation despite a lack-luster (as in non-existent) graduation ceremony.

I guess it's time for the Sailor Moon challenge.

A copy of Pär Olofsson's album art of Brain Drill's Quantum Catastrophe in acrylic.
A copy of Pär Olofsson's album art of Brain Drill's Quantum Catastrophe in acrylic.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#354  Edited By NathHaw

I made a gif and attached it to Brad's wiki. Boredom from being shut in.

No Caption Provided

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was laid off on March 23rd, and today is my first day back.

I know I should thankful for being employed right now, but I don't want to be here. I've had this job for almost 20 years, and for the past several years the idea of making a change has been growing louder in my mind. I think the two and a half months away from this place has really brought into focus how much I don't like it here anymore.

I didn't for one second miss the work or the people here. In fact, at risk of sounding like an asshole considering the circumstance, the time I was laid off was great. I like being home and by myself so being on lockdown was not an issue for me. There was a steady stream of games, TV, and movies, and I was cool with that. I would've done some projects around the house too, but not knowing if my old job would come back I didn't want to spend money on much of anything except food and the regular bills.

But now I'm back, and will be for the foreseeable future because the best time to make a life change like selling your house, moving, and getting a new job is surely not in the midst of a global pandemic.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, Bolsonaro's been a complete tyrant.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been really struggling with the isolation (even though I live with other people) which has manifested in a few bad ways (depression, anxiety, lack of motivation to do work) and I can't wait to get back into the office, do my train commute and catch up friends after work and on the weekend.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's been weird for me. I work in healthcare, but away from the public, so my day-to-day has honestly not changed much. We're wearing PPE and observing social distancing at work and there have been a few workflow hitches, but by and large my daily routine is unchanged. Weekends are strange because doing laundry or going grocery shopping are now bigger blocks of time and require some forethought, and other little things fall by the wayside entirely. I need new shoes but it isn't important enough to go out of my way to do, and not having seen any of my friends in person for so long has been odd.

Weirdly though, I feel a great deal of FOMO about people who aren't working right now. Where I live, we get a pretty healthy source of income if we're out of work or severely impacted, which is very necessary for people here to live. It's roughly what I make per month from work. The person I've been "seeing" during the pandemic (read: video dates and online gaming" has been so productive, and has freedom that I'm truly envious of. They will always have tales about learning how to change the brakes on their car, or building a shelving unit from scratch, or finishing a painting, or about the progress they've made learning a language, and it's really bringing to light just how constrained and unfulfilled my work makes me feel. I simply don't have the time or energy to do the things that I want after a day of work, and a two-day weekend is dedicated mostly to chores. I feel bad because I know I should be thankful to still have a job, to be healthy, and to have support to lean on when I'm lonely, but there is a nagging feeling of being unable to grow personally while I have a job to work every day.

tablefloor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My wife (currently) lives in SA, but I'm stuck in the UK. She's finishing off her masters, and will be joining me here when she's done. We haven't been able to see each other since the end of last year, and it looks like this is due to continue, possibly even into the new year.

It is a bummer. Got to say though, as tough as it is, I still have my health, as do my family :)

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still here in nyc- expecting to be called back into the office this week, which is a bummer (it's more about optics than ability to do the job; i'm also not confident they'll follow safety protocols) but then again i've been fortunate to be remote this whole time, so it's all relative.

DarkbeastCaarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive got it right now, so yes. It sucks and is scary, but im almost glad to have gotten it now and pretty mildly over when I have to return to college

DarkbeastCaarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive got it right now, so yes. It sucks and is scary, but im almost glad to have gotten it now and pretty mildly over when I have to return to college

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Things have pretty much returned to normal here in Finland. Events of up to 500 people are allowed, most people will return to work from their offices in August and bars, restaurants, movie theaters etc. have been open for a few weeks now. Also for the first time since March there are no COVID patients in intensive care in the hardest hit Helsinki metropolitan area. Travel is possible to most countries within the EU except for Sweden where the response seems to have been woeful and as a result infection rates are still high.

Personally I'm still working from home through the summer and practicing increased hygiene, but otherwise am seeing friends and family and doing all those other things from the before times.

SsnMrtn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, it's not affecting me, because I prefer staying at home, I don't like to go outside

MKennedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'm starting to feel the effects of being unable to be around my friends. Like all of the bullshit of the last two months are starting to hit me and it sucks, but got to take it one day at a time I suppose.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw my parents for the first time in four months today. Awesome. I've been wondering if this is going to trigger the kind of mask culture the Asians seem to have on a more global scale. Using public transport for the first time since it hit, there's a whole lot of people using masks when they're out.

Is that going to hold when the virus cases drop right off? I kinda hope it does.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I went back to the office for three weeks in a row because they needed help doing stuff around the office and I had some stuff I needed to handle that was long overdue. Honestly, it was nice reliably getting out of the house and there aren't really that many people working in the office right now.

Last week, I started working from home again. They started to open things back up again around here but then the numbers shot way up and they reversed their decisions and are closing everything back up. I did go back into the office to help out some more, but mostly stayed home, and I think I might wind up having to go back in once or twice next week.

Also, masks are now mandatory instead of strongly encouraged around here - which seems to have helped make some people wear masks but there are plenty of others who are still not wearing them.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What cheeses up my gears is that I have no idea why masks are politicized. Humans like money right (I mean I have it on good authority that they do). Goldman Sachs has a study that says we could save $1 trillion, or 5% of GDP by averting future shutdowns with a national mask mandate, which is an absurd number. Also, according to Tom Hanks (you kids would know him as father to noted rapper-with-a-bloodfeud-with-6ix9ine Chet Hanks), its literally the least you can do. Goldman Sachs knows money! Humans like celebrities! Fuck 6ix9ine.

Masks might even be effective at slowing the coronavirus! Who knew! In states that have a mask requirement cases are growing less than half as fast than in states without one.

Way I figure, we have three choices.

1. Wear a mask and continue reopening. Sexy! Celebrities and money! Go outside and feed mosquitoes.

2. Stay inside forever. Turns out, air conditioning creates a perfect environment for Covid. That's bad!

3. Pretend coronavirus doesn't exist and reopen. That's bad too!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6 said:

What cheeses up my gears is that I have no idea why masks are politicized.

i'm not trying to derail the thread- but masking in the united states is expressly politicized because political leadership decided to politicize it.

if july 11 is the date the commander in chief was first seen in public wearing a mask- that tells you everything you need to know about how we got here.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#375  Edited By Monkeyman04

I still don't believe that this happened, it seems like some sick joke. A friend of my brother's passed away because of COVID. I didn't know him as well as my brother did, but every time I met him he made me feel like I was a part of the group. I'm gonna miss that energy that he gave.

If there's one thing to say about this tragic event, WEAR A FUCKING MASK!!

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/34-year-old-vancouver-man-dies-of-covid-19/283-2e65cb14-89ea-4eee-aa33-b91b06f82a85?c=n&fbclid=IwAR0xdxD_2A2DijO6FQSkq5uOKjKd9RDaEeBy9NZy2zT-6hpWa2NWo2JiNl8

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worrying thing about the record US case numbers is how record deaths are likely to follow. Wear a mask, social distance and, whilst shit is reopening, do everything with a degree of responsibility.