• 51 results
GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GnaTSoL

Let me start off by saying, don't even continue to waste your time with this post if you have not seen Creed yet. Go now. RIGHT NOW! What a movie! Not because of spoilers but cause of how good it is.

And as the title says [Mod Edit: changed the title for the benefit of people that reply without actually reading the OP]. It could very well be better than Mad Max, or the 'people's favorite.' I'd go so far as to say it's Oscar worthy and should be at the very least be considered for nomination in a multitude of categories.

Total shocker for me too. Like, Rocky Balboa (Rocky 6 I guess) was alright but what a leap in quality. Show's how great Ryan Coogler as director really is and how Sly should focus more on his acting and less so on the creative end these days, AS WAS THE CASE IN THIS INCREDIBLE MOVIE HERE!

Everyone turned in an immense performance. Every type of emotion is showcased here. And amazingly so, the tear-jerkers don't feel forced at all. Those moments were so good, I'd bet some of you apathetic individuals when it comes to things like this, might find your hands on the proverbial valve cause the waterworks might come runnin.

And the fights! I'll sum it up like this, professional contact sports the past few years had never reached the excitement and satisfaction you'll feel in the few matches showcased in Creed. The first big fight was shot all in ONE TAKE even! Bombastic man.

Now to wrap things up here for everyone. I guess the TLDR of my post:

This is the best Rocky film since 2! TOP 3 in the series easy. All around quality-wise and without accounting for nostalgia and legacy, it could damn well be the BEST ROCKY..... no no no no no.......

THE BEST BOXING FILM EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER! Go see this film now.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By intro
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I saw it yesterday and I was shocked how good it was.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's not really comparable to Mad Max and also I seriously doubt I'll like it as much.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

I'm a huge Rocky fan, and I'm really happy this is getting such great reviews, I'll be checking it out on Friday. The rumblings about Stallone getting nominated for an Oscar are particularly exciting to me; obviously having not seen the movie yet I can't speak to whether he deserves it based on this particular performance, but I do think it's one of the greatest tragedies of the past 40 years of Hollywood how Sly allowed himself to get boxed in (no pun intended) to the generic action meatball role over and over, when he's capable of so much more than that. It's easy to forget that after the first Rocky, he was being touted as the new Brando!

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Hopefully you write back with your thoughts after you've seen it. :)

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why compare it to Mad Max? Two completly diffrent movies. But yeah, that movie looks pretty darn good.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justicejanitor: Mad Max is the internet favorite of the year and it surprised many.

Both were awe-inspiring for me really.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Huh. I might have to see this then. Can't say I anticipated it in any measure.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toy Story.......better than The Matrix!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Somewhere out there, Scott Stapp perked up his ears for a second before going back to sadly striking Jesus poses in his bedroom.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Creed is another Rocky movie without Rocky being the main character. I had more fun with Mad Max, but acknowledge that Creed is a damn good drama, albeit familiar.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@shivermetimbers: I haven't seen it, and no spoilers, but is it about a kid with a lot of talent that needs to focus and get his emotions under control, and then he trains hard and he wins against all odds at the end? Is it.. every boxing movie ever made?

Southpaw was pretty good.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does it stack up against The Fighter?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@humanity said:

@shivermetimbers: I haven't seen it, and no spoilers, but is it about a kid with a lot of talent that needs to focus and get his emotions under control, and then he trains hard and he wins against all odds at the end? Is it.. every boxing movie ever made?

You're smart! n.n You're correct, btw.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer that this thread started out so silly, but this movie fucking rocked. Lived up to the Rocky franchise better than I ever thought possible. That training montage was something else.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I agree with everything the OP says except that it's better than Mad Max.

gueeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost all credibility when you say Rocky II is better than Rocky IV

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is Boxing movies have an extremely well established pedigree and there's basically no chance in hell this movie is better than Raging Bull for example; but action movies do not, while there are many pretty good action movies there are very few irreproachable ones like Terminator 2 or Mad Max; so it's quite a challenge for Mad Max and Creed to be directly comparable in the first place.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Creed is amazing movie.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Raise your hand if you thought the title was referring to the Band.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to see the scene at Goodison Park.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShadyPingu

What a bizarre comparison. But yes, Creed is a helluva movie.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hunkulese

How is a boxing movie in any way comparable to Mad Max?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By GaspoweR
@i_stay_puft said:

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

After Rocky IV I never needed to watch another boxing movie again, it was just that excellent, but I made a mistake and watched V anyway

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually forgot I had read this topic before and thought it was about Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Mad Max game. Odd comparison anyway.

dannyglover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie theater sure did get dusty a few times when I watched Creed.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By big_jon

I really enjoyed the movie, it was seriously excellent, just got back.

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never watched a Rocky movie so I may see this. I also never seen a Mad Max movie before Fury Road

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi said:

I can't wait to see the scene at Goodison Park.

What? Is Mr. T calling out Roberto Martinez or something?

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sarnecki

When the Conti theme kicked in I got up and knocked out the guy sitting next to me.

Everyone cheered.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sarnecki

@fredchuckdave: I would say for anybody who knows their movies it's a weird thing to compare Rocky and by extension Creed to Raging Bull in the first place.

What, they both have boxing in them?

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

toilet cleaner.....better than shoe polish

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hayt

I have only seen the first Rocky film and while I liked the movie it hasn't really stuck with me. Is Creed a good movie for anyone or is it great in the context of Rocky movies?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

You're smart! n.n You're correct, btw.

Guess I'm just psychic like that!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

God DAYUM! I can't believe this is getting as praised as it is so far. I heard Stallone KILLED it in the supporting role. Too bad none of my friends actually enjoy these types of films.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nachos are better than liberty.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nachos are better than liberty.

Deep cut man. Real deep.

Overall though, I think I might be with you, I've seen Creed twice now and bawled like a baby both times. It's my second favorite Rocky movie, and going into it there was no movie this year that came close to Fury Road. Now I have to do some thinking on it.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I really wish they hadn't gone with that name. I have yet to see any advertising or hear any talk about this movie outside of the Giant Bomb-o-sphere, so I still only think of the band when I hear people talking about it. I can't blame them as it does kinda fit the whole Rocky branding, but I doubt I'll ever hear that and not think, "why would you... oh, the movie."

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RazielCuts

@glottery said:
@i_stay_puft said:

I actually forgot I had read this topic before and thought it was about Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Mad Max game. Odd comparison anyway.

I thought the first thing and then thought - 'that would be an odd comparison to make.' Then went to the second thing and thought 'Ah, two open world games that came out this year.' And it was in fact the third secret thing, the films. It was quite a journey.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:
@i_stay_puft said:

I thought the first thing and then thought - 'that would be an odd comparison to make.' Then went to the second thing and thought 'Ah, two open world games that came out this year.' And it was in fact the third secret thing, the films. It was quite a journey.

this is the inception of confusingly titled threads.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writing a review in a few hours but good movie, Oscar nomination worthy but perhaps not a "must win" candidate, probably around the 5th best movie I've seen this year. Jogging scene had me tearing up, which doesn't happen often (shoutouts to Interstellar's score).

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

There were a bunch of films better than Mad Max. People always complain how summer blockbusters are all action and no substance. Mad Max puts an idiot with a flame throwing guitar and everyone loses their minds.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Interstellar had an amazing score. Also a damn good movie.

Maybe I'll go see this but man.. I dunno if a boxing movie is really worth the trip and the use of my limited time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: it was more about how lovingly crafted the action scenes were, and how many practical effects and stunts were used. Plus charlize theron as a badass didn't hurt. It just had a ton of heart and soul in a weird way that current action movies lack (none of the mind numbing tedium that seeps into a lot of marvel movies).

That said i have zero experience with rocky so i should stay out of this thread (and yeah thats a weird comparison to make)

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@ripelivejam: meh, Charlize Theron was no different than any other female action star before her.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yes, but is Saving Private Ryan better than Gone With The Wind?

....Because it my belief that is we compare two media objects that have almost NOTHING to do with each other in narrative, form, or meaning. In that way, we can say definitively, which one is BEST.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible to change the thread title so we can talk about how rad Creed was instead of weirdly comparing it to Mad Max?