User Lists: 2

Cyberpunk all the way.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Cyberpunk is awesome. Steampunk is just kind of tame in comparison.

jaffaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Massively cyberpunk

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By penguindust

I prefer Steampunk, but there aren't that many good examples of the medium especially in gaming. I like the idea of modern-like technology in a Victorian setting; clockwork robots, lightning guns, floating ocean liners, etc...

I like Cyberpunk, too but Steampunk wins by a little bit because it feels more fantastic. Cyberpunk could be, Steampunk will never be because the era is over.

The question I have is are goggles the defining icon of Steampunk? I was looking at some photos and nearly all guys have a top hat and goggles and all girls wear a corset and goggles. It's odd.

Is there a defining fashion item for Cyberpunk?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some old steampunk stuff was interesting (I really like Steamboy and maybe Arcanum counts, I don't know) but most steampunk now is really dumb, especially all the "steampunk" technology stuff people make like laptops with brass and wood cases. I could see something like this labeled as simply a design style, but the idea that you could build a laptop the size of a real laptop that is run on steam and gears is idiotic. NOTHING in cyberpunk is ever that dumb.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Cyberpunk. Whalepunk is pretty cool too.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk, all day every day.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Cyberpunk because it isn't as overexposed as Steampunk, but it is rapidly catching up.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pr1mus

Not a lot of love for steampunk.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I like steampunk a lot, I just hate a lot of the people who like it.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By HerbieBug

Love polished brass and stained wood. I think the meticulous and completely overboard superfluous detail in steampunk things is really neat.

Now, if we're talking what makes a better starting point for a story -be it novel, game, television show- cyberpunk tends to be more interesting. I generally only enjoy steampunk as a design aesthetic.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I saw the Cyberpunk trailer to be indicative of the cyberpunk styles so I'm going with that.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pibo47

Deus Ex opened my mind to the world of cyber punk...and honestly the closest i will ever get to steam punk is bioshock. Dunno why, but steam punk never did it for me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I say cyberpunk mainly because I hate the term "steampunk." I think putting the word punk in something associated with olde timey looking stuff is the worst.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... I think putting the word punk in something associated with olde timey looking stuff is the worst.

I'll just leave this here for your perusal.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steampunk all looks the same to me. I voted Cyber.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Cyberpunk. Steampunk has it's place, but 9 times out of 10, I'll usually play/watch/read something in the Cyberpunk genre than the Steampunk side of things.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk. I really don't understand how this is even a question. I feel there is a reason Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell are still relevant in 2013 and all of the steampunk stuff I can think of is from shitty deviantart pages or fat people that think they look good in old time-y clothes that come into the comic store I work at.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Andorski

If it's punk, it sucks.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By artelinarose

@artemesia said:

Cyberpunk. I really don't understand how this is even a question. I feel there is a reason Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell are still relevant in 2013 and all of the steampunk stuff I can think of is from shitty deviantart pages or fat people that think they look good in old time-y clothes that come into the comic store I work at.

I suppose I should make this sound less personal attack-y than I meant it to. Cyberpunk tends to touch on themes that stay relevant or even become more relevant as technology and society progresses: the growing divide between the rich and the working class, the presence and power of corporations and brand names becoming more and more pronounced, humanity and technology becoming intertwined to the point where one seems out of place without the other, or in most cases, technology replacing humanity. Posthumanism is a fantastic philosophical brain teaser; can we really consider ourselves human when we have replaced all of the things that make us human? What happens when our machines become more human than we are ourselves? It's all fascinating.

Steampunk seems pretty stuck in LETS PUT GOGGLES AND VALVES AND GAUGES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS COOL RIGHT

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Jams

Cyberpulp

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By villainy

Steampunk. Imagine the Core i5. ~700 million steam powered mechanical switches operating in concert. The gigantic scale, the incredible noise, the overpowering smell of oil. An unbelievable expense poured out so the director can plan each day's lunch meeting. Steampunk to me is seeing today built with the limitations of 19th century technology. Some of that may even be technically possible but the resources required to actually make it function are very much fantasy.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk, easily. Cyberpunk by nature allows for infinitely more creative universes than steampunk, which conjures almost exclusively an image of a steam-powered Victorian setting.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Fuck steampunk. I started to write down all the reasons I really really dislike it, but it ended up sounding like a 14 year old talking about music, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

On the other hand, I've loved a lot of the cyberpunk fiction I've stumbled across, so that's definitely where my vote lands.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like both of them, but I've always had a lot of love for cyberpunk. So much cool shit in the genre.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both, but Cyberpunk as an aesthetic is really rad.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk cuz is the future ... and the future is always cooler.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Despite prefering Sci-Fi to fantasy I picked Steam. I have never seen anything deemed cyber punk that I enjoyed whether it be a movie or game, but I have enjoyed the look and design of several Steam punk costumes.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk because:

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk. I cannot wait for that new Cyberpunk game.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk. I have consumed so much Cyberpunk media over my 24 years of life. From simple cyberpunk themes in movies like Running Man, Total Recall and Robocop. To harder cyberpunk in anime. Ghost in the shell, Cyber city oedo 808, megazone 23, Battle Angel Alita, Ad Police, Bubblegum crisis.

Star wars universe while it is not Cyberpunk perse. Alot of the traits of tha universe is the same. Undercities, slicers/hackers. Ships and cities lived in and falling apart, not utopia's. Instead cities owned an run by corperations.

I fell down a streak of reading Neil Ashers Agen Cormac books. Set in the polity universe. Were AI's rule over man...with purley the intentions of preserving and expanding mankind. Meaning they are just the same as a well meaning leader.

AI's took over by makeing themselves a corporation. Then came the corporation wars untill the AI's took majority share....not a single shot was fired! Won by playing the buisness game.

All these themes idea and storys!

Vs Steampunk...... they have....Steamboy.....ummmm....Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory?......The last 5 minues of back to the future part 3? Oh Oh! The Time machine...with Murlok.....oh wait thats not steam powered.

I got it! They have Will Smiths Wild Wild West!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@akyho said:

Fuck, you're right!

I VOTED FOR THE WRONG OPTION. I LOVE THAT MOVIE.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By newmoneytrash

Cyberpunk, but, for comic book people, I love the Steampunk stuff in Batman: Gates of Gotham.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@akyho said:

Cyberpunk. I have consumed so much Cyberpunk media over my 24 years of life. From simple cyberpunk themes in movies like Running Man, Total Recall and Robocop. To harder cyberpunk in anime. Ghost in the shell, Cyber city oedo 808, megazone 23, Battle Angel Alita, Ad Police, Bubblegum crisis.

Star wars universe while it is not Cyberpunk perse. Alot of the traits of tha universe is the same. Undercities, slicers/hackers. Ships and cities lived in and falling apart, not utopia's. Instead cities owned an run by corperations.

I fell down a streak of reading Neil Ashers Agen Cormac books. Set in the polity universe. Were AI's rule over man...with purley the intentions of preserving and expanding mankind. Meaning they are just the same as a well meaning leader.

AI's took over by makeing themselves a corporation. Then came the corporation wars untill the AI's took majority share....not a single shot was fired! Won by playing the buisness game.

All these themes idea and storys!

Vs Steampunk...... they have....Steamboy.....ummmm....Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory?......The last 5 minues of back to the future part 3? Oh Oh! The Time machine...with Murlok.....oh wait thats not steam powered.

You might want to check out Psycho-Pass.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steampunk. I fucking love steampunk. Victorian culture is fascinating enough to me on its own, but with dirigibles and future tech? Hell yes. I'd probably have been one of those people wearing goggles, waistcoats and whatnot if I had money. I do wear a top hat, as my one concession to my urge to wear dumb shit. That's more to do with my general love of hats, though. Hats are the best thing.

I do love cyberpunkish dystopian cities, on the other hand. Like, obsessively so.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Damian

@akyho: Studio Ghibli is quite steampunk at times. Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle for example. Ni No Kuni is also steampunk.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Cyberpunk is more flexible because it can show us things that don't exist yet - Steampunk is recreating things that already exist with that old timey twist, and steam.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By stonyman65

Cyberpunk by far.

Steampunk people (to me anyways) is like one step below the furries, and two steps below the crazy anime people.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyberpunk by miles. Steampunk can be cool, but can also be really bad.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@mcghee said:

Cyberpunk because:

Pretty much this. Although there is also some enjoyable Steampunk stuff out there...

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nilazz

Like tears...in rain.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade Runner beats Wild Wild West.... so yeah cyber punk

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirrorshades > Goggles

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steampunk for me, I just wish it was taken more seriously in games. I've never really found Cyberpunk that interesting as it just seems like Sci-Fi to me and we've got plenty of Sci-Fi in the medium.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cyberpunk

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By psylah

eBay and etsy ruined Steampunk.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damian: That ends up being more magic than Steam punk.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with cyberpunk. I like the setting a bit more. Although when steampunk is done well it's pretty damn awesome.