D&D group for Giant Bomb

Avatar image for pastor_richards
pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Howdy all, I'm wondering if there is a Giant Bomb D&D group?

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I seem to recall there was something like that set up a while ago, but it was just a single group of people (five or something). I think the DM recounted what happened during their sessions in further blog posts.

If there isn't anything like that currently in operation, why not try and set one up yourself?

TViddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if you've seen it but there was a video series a few years ago. They were teaching Dan about it. Worth a watch.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm up for helping gettin' a group together

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I currently DM a game for my friends but haven't been able to get into one as a player myself. I would definitely be interested in something like this.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrWakka

There have been a few D&D groups over the years, nothing that ever went on super long to my knowledge. I was in one, but it didn't last long. (2 sessions I think, then the DM went MIA.)

It can be fun, but running one tends to require a fairly sizable time commitment, and a bunch of different players can all come into it with very different play styles and/or expectations. It makes getting a bunch of strangers together online sometimes difficult.

I've run more than a few campaigns outside of GB over the years, wish I had more time nowadays to do more.

Squaglodyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be down for some table-top adventuring, depending on the format and schedule. Seems like a worthwhile community initiative, and I bet there's no lack of roleplayers on this site.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am totally down for playing some D&D. It also seems like there is enough interest in this thread that it would be worth trying to organize something.

Digaumgrunge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support all things D&D on this website

pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I saw the GB unplugged videos (which I love and constantly bug Rorie about) . I don't have any DM experience so I wouldn't be the best to set up a campaign. But Roll20 now has officially licensed D&D content if ya'll are interested in checking that out.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played much but I'd definetly be interested.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@pastor_richards: roll20 looks super cool. I've never played any tabletop stuff so I'd love to try to play one. All I really know I learned from the adventure zone.

pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah roll 20 is rad, just a little more time consuming if you're a DM. I encourage ya'll to make accounts and check it out a little more. We could get a weekly game going in the evenings. Weekends would probably work best. Most online D&D groups use skype or some other chat service. If someone would be interested in DMing I'd be more then willing to help out organize a group. I just would need to see how many folks are interested and if they're committed to the time.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yeah there's a group of 6 of us duders who play D&D on Tuesdays, and I've dragged a few more bombers into playing a game of The Sprawl with me on Thursdays. Might be fun to try and build a bigger community out of this tho'.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might be up for dming something if there is enough interest. 3-5 players tends to work best in my experience, online big groups (6+) can get bogged down quick. (and can be difficult in person.)

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Played D&D once around 10 years ago and enjoyed it but I was invited to the group as a guest of my brother and there was never a convenient time for me to join them again and I a haven't had a group of friends who play.

I'd be up for playing some tabletop and learning how to use roll20. I've been enjoying @austin_walker's Friends at the Table and wanting to try and find a group for a while now. I can't think of a better group than a bunch of GB duders.

pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: How do ya'll play usually? Are ya'll currently in the middle of a campaign?

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need a more definitive time to see who can/wants to play at that time. @pastor_richards said that the evenings on the weekend would work best so, how about Saturdays at 7:00 pm EST?

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrWakka

Should also consider style of play. Getting a group together is one thing, but if they all have different expectations it can be problematic. (Serious vs goofy, roleplaying vs hack n' slash.) Groups will have elements of both regardless, but if you go into it expecting something more serious, and everyone else is expecting goofy, you're not likely going to enjoy it as much. The same goes in reverse.

Also, frequency. Weekly, or monthly? ( I can't do more than once a week personally.)

For me most days at night work except Wednesday and Sunday, but my work schedule can change week to week so if I was running there would likely be occasional conflicts. For style I prefer more rp, and serious in tone, with the occasional goof. If I am going to spend time in a world I prefer others to treat it fairly realistically rather than the murder hobo side of the spectrum.

pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pastor_richards

I'm on the west coast (WA) and have a 6 month old. So playing in the evenings after 8 PST works best for me. A monthly game would also work for me. If I can't fit into anyone else's schedule I don't want to hold up any other groups, I love playing but I don't want to be a burden if I can't find the time, just playing D&D is great and I wouldn't want others to miss out on that experience.

In terms of style of play I always say it's up to the DM. My games in the past have had an amazing DM that took experience over rules every time. We were a pretty witty group and he loved our outside the box thinking so he went with it. Not to mention he did a ton of voices which really had a fantastic experience. Chris Perkins (if you don't know him google him, cool guy) always lives by the rules of experience/fun > rules and regulations. I myself love a good combat scenario, but I also love the story lore and potential puzzles/conversations.

I'm also open to playing a filler role when there needs to be one, RPing a class is super fun. But that depends on if I can get into a group.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am on the east coast myself. 8pm pst would be a bit late for me, as I usually work early mornings, unless we did just an hour per session which is probably too short. Basically I would need the session to end by midnight eastern at the latest.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ColossalGhost

I suggested 7:00 EST because I didn't know where people live but, 8:00 PST would also work for me. At the moment I have nothing going on on the weekends so, any time works for me. As for the frequency, I could do once a week but, I would be fine with every other week or once a month if that worked better for other people.

I don't have any expectations for the play style as I don't have much experience playing tabletop games so, I am just going to defer to the DM for what play style will work best for the campaign.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be keen on hopping in a game since I DM and don't get to play much if you have space. I've tried to get a oneshot together once or twice but it's gone awry due to schedule/lack of interest.

I am running a oneshot in person Saturday, after that I might try to put together something if there was enough over flow of people.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@pastor_richards: Yeah, we're a few months in to the D&D campaign and 6 weeks in to the Sprawl campaign. We use a combo of Roll20 and Discord

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've never done any table-top RPG stuff before, but I've always wanted to try. West-Coaster, evenings work great for me.

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realised being in the UK will pretty much count me out. I'm 5 hours behind EST and 8 Hours behind PST, i think. Nevermind. Maybe they'll enough UK people to form a UK group.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Hey duders, I'm one of the guys who ran a few games in roll20 and bailed. Sorry about that. While I had fun, and it did prove that playing online can work (that was my first time trying that), it also showed me that DMing is still hard, especially with people you don't know. I didn't feel like I was providing a high enough quality experience without some more prep work, which I didn't end up having time for.

Part of the problem was my unfamiliarity with roll20. Now that it has official D&D support I may take another look, maybe I'll get inspired.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be interested as a player depending on what the schedule is like. Any preference on Ruleset? I have some limited 4E experience, as well as the Star Wars D20 RPG, but am up for trying something new.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

UK Duders D&D?

pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say stick to the simple stuff, I've only played D&D 5E and that's been pretty easy for new comers. Not to mention they already have campaigns all created for a really good experience. And now that Roll20 has officially licensed campaigns it'll be much easier.

The easiest way to keep a campaign going would be to group up by location (east coast, west coast, UK, Australia, etc.)

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Akyho

I beta tested a scenario for a unreleased table top a friend was working on, he redrafted it a little as to not go into the deeper unique mechanics of his tabletop and just wanted to run through how the scenario played before testing it with randoms at a tabletop convention thing.

It was good fun I still have my character sheet and wished I could have continued it, a scenario were we took a scheduled company airship to a mountain top temple that was strong in Magika? in a world were Magik was low? We had a alternate company with their mercenaries on the same excavation and despite throwing a fire bomb at their archer who was trying to shoot the giant spider ahead of us we were able to talk out of fighting them when we reached the top. Which we later got into the temple...accidently released a few thousand ice spiders and just ran out....with my character whipping their tail to trip up the leader of the other excavation crew and slowing down the rest of the team, while mines escaped on our airship. The DM said afterwards if we had let them on the airship them you would have exceeded the weight limit them would have to get rid of some...by the way there was not enough weight to get rid off in just items.

So we kinda made all the right choices lols.

Twas very fun.

Ps I am a UK Duder so if I was into this I am awkward for US duders.

Found the character sheet, the game was Earthdawn and I was a T'Skrang Scout.

Also I already have a bit of Roleplay on this website done.

http://www.giantbomb.com/slaves-to-armok-god-of-blood-chapter-ii-dwarf-fort/3030-21594/forums/thehttp://www.giantbomb.com/slaves-to-armok-god-of-blood-chapter-ii-dwarf-fort/3030-21594/forums/the-story-of-shimmeroiled-554987/?page=1#js-message-5783950-story-of-shimmeroiled-554987/#47

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrWakka

There are a number of fairly rules light rpgs that can be easy to get into, as well as some much more rules dense with a sharper learning curve. Ultimately as long as you are willing to learn it won't matter in the long run, the basics are the same for the most part (roll dice, compare numbers). D&D is the touchstone are most are familiar with though, with the more familiar settings. Also the game the thread was made about. Of the editions, 5e is arguably the easiest to ease people into. That said if the players want something other than a fantasy genre, then we'd probably need to discuss alternate systems. D&D just isn't as good for transhumanism, assault rifles, or vehicle combat in most cases. =p

That said I am east coast and willing to DM if there are enough duders interested if we are grouping by location.

Looks like 2 us east, 2 us west, 3 uk, and a few undeclared.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By YoThatLimp
bromic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be interested in UK D&D too.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Australian so I doubt something will happen. But just started watching Critical Role which is amazing.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bromic said:

I'd be interested in UK D&D too.

I'm GMT+1 but I'm on board with this.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By EwanSuttie

I'd be interested in UK D&D. Between Stranger Things, The Adventure Zone, and more prominence on my Twitter feed, I'd love to give it a try, but I've never played before. Is there such a thing as single night, 2-4 hour campaigns as an introduction? Everything I have heard about D&D seems to be long length, months long campaigns with quite advanced character development.

bromic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be interested in UK D&D. Between Stranger Things, The Adventure Zone, and more prominence on my Twitter feed, I'd love to give it a try, but I've never played before. Is there such a thing as single night, 2-4 hour campaigns as an introduction? Everything I have heard about D&D seems to be long length, months long campaigns with quite advanced character development.

They exist and are known as one-shots. I think we should definitely do at least one one-shot before jumping into a campaign.

pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pastor_richards
meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm a US East person and can be pretty flexible. I would be fine with Wednesday or Thursday sometime from 7p-11p, anytime Saturday or Sunday any time before 6pm.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Im currently trying to get into DnD. Like many people shows like Acquisitons Incorporated and Critical Role have made me realise it can be incredible fun but I have yet to actually play. If there was a DM willing to handle a beginner I would love to get involved!

Im in Scotland and would prefer local nighttime (post 6pm for example) I can make other times but the 8pm PST idea would rule me out since that would be like 4am UK time.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

US Players

Player NamePreferred SystemDays AvailableTime AvailableTime Zone
YoThatLimpD&D 5eMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, SundayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)CDT
mrwakkaDresden Files (FATE)Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, SaturdayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)EDT
StephenTylerMagerD&D 5eTuesday, ThursdayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)EDT
ColossalGhostD&D 5eSaturday, SundayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)PDT
relkinD&D 5e, Pathfinder, ShadowrunMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, SundayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)PDT
User_UndefinedD&D 5e, Pathfinder, W.O.I.N.Thursday, Friday, Saturday, SundayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)CDT

European Players

bromicD&D 5e, PathfinderMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, SaturdayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)UTC+0
BetaBandNo preferred systemMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday, ThursdayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)UTC+1
PazyD&D 5eMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, SundayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)UTC+0

Australasia Players

audioBustingD&D 5eSaturday, SundayEarly in the day (late morning/early afternoon)UTC+7
TenqualD&D 5e, PathfinderFriday, Saturday, SundayLater in the day (late afternoon/early evening)UTC+10
Avatar image for thestripyjumper
Thestripyjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Thestripyjumper

I'm in the UK and looking to do some rpging. Been enjoying listening to Friends at the Table to get my fix of Austin since he left. Was thinking about GMing something in The Sprawl, but would be equally interested in other stuff that's going on. Weekends better for me.

Here's a roll 20 link if others are interested in the Sprawl over D&D

https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1591387/the-sprawl-from-the-ground-up

*edit* Happy to GM using other systems if it means we can get a UK group off the ground.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrWakka

I will be running a game of 5e using roll20 starting this Saturday(27th) at 7PM EDT, a session is expected to take 2-3 hours. Players will be starting off at level one, and there are some setting specific information available on the the OP site I made for it. (Available Here: Corkirk: Demons in the Mist)

The initial adventure isn't intended to take super long, if the campaign continues afterward will depend on player interest. I don't want you feel like you are locking into a year(s) long epic. (Expect 4-6 sessions for this initial quest, one of which will focus on character creation.) Here is the set-up:

Corkirk is a small village built over the foundations of a much older settlement. When the neighboring settlements begin to fall to fire and ash with no survivors, the people of Corkirk look to members of the community to stand up and become heroes, to find out what has happened to the other villages and prevent Corkirk from suffering the same fate.

A little bit darker tone than your more standard fantasy, set in a dark ages like period filled with superstition. This is a new setting I made for this, so everyone will be learning about the world together as they go.

There are 4(now 2) spots available on a first come first serve basis, just shoot me a PM if you want to join in. I have a couple of more experienced players joining in as well, so they can help out as well with questions or advice for new players. If you are wanting to play the first session will primarily focus on character creation, so hold off on rolling things until then.

Requirements:

Browser/connection capable of running roll20.Discord for voice chat.Microphone.

pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrwakka: AWESOME! Super glad you were able to get that going. I'll have to check my work/family schedule to see if I'm available so I didn't want to send you a PM just yet. But if I can't make it I really hope it works out well and this becomes a regular thing. Try and archive it if you can. Also feel free to update everyone on the status of the available spots.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrWakka

Currently 1 spot remaining.

I might make a new thread to document it or something on the site. Could try recording it as well, but I'll need to figure out how to show the map without also revealing the dm only stuff. I suppose it could be audio only.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And we are full for now. If any spots open up for whatever reason I'll post here. I look forward to seeing you all in game, and hope you other duders are able to get games going as well.