David Lynch is back on Twin Peaks (UPDATED/EDITED)

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Castiel

Update: Good news everyone! David Lynch is apparently back on board.

https://twitter.com/SHO_PR/status/599369043431301120

Thanks to @theht and @starvinggamer for making me aware of this.

Hmm I couldn't get the twitter quote to show correctly. But if you scroll down @theht has posted it.

______________________________________________________________________________________

(Original post)

Well if it seemed to good to be true I guess it's because it was.

According to Lynch's twitter profile he left the project because Showtime wouldn't offer him the budget to do the reboot the way he imagined it. After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations he has chosen to leave the project.

My interest for this reboot just left the building.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-reboot-david-lynch-786456

What's your thoughts on all this? Are you still interested in the reboot, do you think Lynch will come back or is the Twin Peaks reboot completely dead now?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

My heart is broken...god damnit.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Then I am no longer interested

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Just heard about this last night. It's a real bummer!

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SaFt

It's a bummer for sure. But the scripts are already written by Lynch and Frost. And only two episodes of the first season were actually directed by Lynch as far as i can tell.

It's unfortunate that he will not be doing it but i don't see why this can't still be good without Lynch directing it. Let's just hope that the actors will stay on board without him.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Teddie

I'll still watch it if they put it out. It does kill most of my excitement now if they can't actually end it the way the creator envisioned though, since that was kind of the whole point.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there was only about 7 episodes directed by David Lynch in the original 2 seasons. But here's the thing about those 2 seasons.. Most of it was a bit shit. Totally forward thinking, outside the box, but still just disgusting soap opera cheese that was only ever rescued by David Lynch occasionally appearing to take the reins and inject genuine surrealism. Without him in the director's chair, I'm not really interested.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

This just became dead to me....unless he returns or Swery is picked to replace him.

monkeystick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This could have been huge. If I were Showtime I'd find whatever money he needs.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

RIP my interest.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't season 2 already stomp out whatever life was left in that show?

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lysergica33: It's very true that most of it was really bad soap opera crap. I feel like it was a product of its time.
Twin Peaks is remembered for those absurd episodes and i doubt they'll get away with the soap opera angle today. Also with Lynch and Frost writing all of the episodes i feel this might still be good without him directing.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that i think they know better than to make it as soapy today as it was back then.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, there goes any interest I had.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Swery is picked to replace him.

Haha, now this I would watch. It would be great. Great. Amazing. Great.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

It might as well no longer exist

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So there's a chance it might actually be good this time? I'll give it a chance.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah- it's hard to imagine something with less-of-a-soul than a twin peaks reboot without lynch.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Come on man. Not again. Wish the reboot had never been announced in the first place. Giving us hopes and then repeatedly smashing them up

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saft said:

@lysergica33: It's very true that most of it was really bad soap opera crap. I feel like it was a product of its time.

Twin Peaks is remembered for those absurd episodes and i doubt they'll get away with the soap opera angle today. Also with Lynch and Frost writing all of the episodes i feel this might still be good without him directing.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that i think they know better than to make it as soapy today as it was back then.

Wasn't the soap opera aspect of it intentionally bad? I remember reading it somewhere that they wanted to do a parody of soap operas at the time.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't it just canceled anyway? Just get Swery to do it.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really hope this is dead on the slab. Twin Peaks was a brilliant product of its time, but it's not that time any more. And just because something was good once, doesn't mean it will be anywhere near the same thing at all when continued (cough, Arrested Development Season 4).

I'm getting really tired of the constant need and excitement to exhume these IP corpses and make them dance. There are an infinite number of untold stories. Lets focus on finding some new ones.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If it sees the light of day, I'll still check it out, but my interest is just about gone without Lynch.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me of what John Waters said a few months ago, that there's a whole tier of filmmakers who simply can't get funding for their projects. We're missing out on so much from interesting creators.

Over-the-top, campy soap opera and heavy on the Americana is Lych's schtick. That's much of the appeal of Twin Peaks for me.

The murder plot and supernatural mysteries in the middle of teen romances and shady business deals is the whole point. It's glorious because of it.

Doesn't matter to Showtime; they've piqued our interest by developing a reboot, now there's more headlines about Lynch leaving, they know we'll watch to see if the show is a train wreck and that we'll bemoan it all over the internet promoting it for them.

The biggest shame is that we've lost any chance of Lynch potentially appearing in reoccurring cameos.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

I'm getting really tired of the constant need and excitement to exhume these IP corpses and make them dance. There are an infinite number of untold stories. Lets focus on finding some new ones.

that's the story of the entertainment industry writ large- why take a risk when you can exploit a built-in fanbase?

(for the record- i want new stories too).

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeushbien
@joshwent said:

Really hope this is dead on the slab. Twin Peaks was a brilliant product of its time, but it's not that time any more. And just because something was good once, doesn't mean it will be anywhere near the same thing at all when continued (cough, Arrested Development Season 4).

I agree. It so rarely captures the same magic anyway. At least, I feel it should only be done if who ever is making it, feels like they have something new to share in that universe, rather merely a way to make a quick buck.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll watch it for curiosity's sake but I'd be amazed if this project ever comes to fruition.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Okay, that's that then. I hope they don't go ahead without Lynch, since that could never work out well.

desoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rename it to Twin Peaks: The Kardashian Years. They'll be rolling in dough.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: You're probably right. But if that's the case, i don't really know to what effect they did it, because it just seems like regular stupid soap opera to me with no apparent parody what so ever. I don't know maybe i just don't get it.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'll watch it, but the elements I loved about Twin Peaks were the lynchian ones. Great loss for something I was starting to get hopeful for.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If they couldn't come to an agreement on budget/money issues after 16 months of discussions, then one or both sides were unwilling to compromise. Showtime had to have given Lynch a budget estimate when they first agreed to the series. So maybe Lynch's scripts exceeded that and Showtime said "no, we already gave you a budget, now work with it."? There was also the reports of Lynch wanting more of the DVD/Streaming money. I'd say both sides are probably at fault here, but who knows really. Like you said though, Showtime would get a lot of goodwill towards their network/brand if they now gave in and let Lynch have his budget. That said, it could set an awful precedent for future shows they, and other networks, make.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lynch should go and do an 'Invitation To Love' series for HBO now.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By veektarius

For all that they talk about bringing back the entire cast (that's still alive, anyway), there are only two names that I need to see attached to a Twin Peaks product to make it authentic to me, and those are David Lynch and Kyle MacLachlan. I'm pretty sure that Showtime knew it too - I figure they just tried to play hardball on the budget since these are a lot of names that aren't getting work anymore and Lynch demonstrated that he was willing to walk.

Would not be totally shocked to see them come to terms after this, but we'll see.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Humanity

@monkeystick said:

If they couldn't come to an agreement on budget/money issues after 16 months of discussions, then one or both sides were unwilling to compromise. Showtime had to have given Lynch a budget estimate when they first agreed to the series. So maybe Lynch's scripts exceeded that and Showtime said "no, we already gave you a budget, now work with it."? There was also the reports of Lynch wanting more of the DVD/Streaming money. I'd say both sides are probably at fault here, but who knows really. Like you said though, Showtime would get a lot of goodwill towards their network/brand if they now gave in and let Lynch have his budget. That said, it could set an awful precedent for future shows they, and other networks, make.

It also depends on the budget itself. If Lynch wanted twice as much as it takes to film a typical Game of Thrones episode for example, then I can see how Showtime might have been unwilling to go that distance even despite the potential crowd his name might draw. Speaking of that, I also wonder how many people today care. Everyone in this thread obviously does, but does the general public remember, or care, about either Twin Peaks or David Lynch? Is it enough people to make it a financially successful venture?

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Diane, twelve-fourteen pm - GOD FUCKING DAMNIT."

It is staggeringthat Lynch and Showtime have been negotiating (according to Lynch) for 16 months and could not come to an agreement.

Without Lynch, they might as well just save everyone the time and not make this. What is the point without Lynch?

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see Twin Peaks Season 3 ending up as a netflix series if this entire thing falls apart. Really that's the only outcome to hope for at this point.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tv/image/1366/65/1366658973914.gif

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Glad they figured something out. Would've been a bit against the point if he wasn't involved anymore.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah David Lynch has confirmed it as well. I'm glad he didn't compromise this time around. Oh what could've been for Season 2 had he done the same back then...

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank fucking Christ.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brendan

Shame, I think David Lynch could have brought a weird new bent to breastaurants.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great news! I wouldn't feel right watching Twin Peaks without David involved.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nickhead

Back on board, no matter how terrible it is.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We probably shouldn't have expected a straightforward, linear narrative with this whole thing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Oh, how the hashtag for #TwinPeaks has changed in the last 24 hours. LOL

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Come on man. Not again. Wish the reboot had never been announced in the first place. Giving us hopes and then repeatedly smashing them up

I can't take it anymore! Rollercoaster!