downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By downloaded

Wuddup GB!

Title pretty much says it all. I've started using Google Docs for my word processing- are there any apps out there that allow me to edit Google Docs through a dedicated desktop client rather than my web browser?

Thanks!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

@Downloaded: I want to say no, but the truth is that I'm not 100% certain.

But the whole point of Google Docs/Drive is to provide a cloud-based service. It would be silly to contradict that basic premise. That said, there is actually a Google Drive Windows program that integrates your Drive files with the Windows filesystem. I believe that this, coupled with enabling offline mode in Drive, would allow you to open and edit documents in offline mode, but it would still open in a browser.

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By downloaded

Yeah, I've downloaded the Drive app, and it is just a local file manager from what I can tell. No word processing capabilities. I don't want to ignore the premise of Google Docs by taking it offline- what I'm looking for is a local app that allows me to open up and edit online documents immediately, rather than having to open my browser, go to gmail, go to drive, and browse my list of online files before being ready to go.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There isn't a standalone editor, but if you have Drive syncing to your computer and you enable offline viewing, it's basically the same as having a native editor application.

Also, I'm not sure why you seem to think you have to navigate through the online Drive interface to open your files. Once you have Drive installed on your computer, double clicking on any Google Doc file type will automatically open it up in the web app editor.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@Chaser324 said:

There isn't a standalone editor, but if you have Drive syncing to your computer and you enable offline viewing, it's basically the same as having a native editor application.

Also, I'm not sure why you seem to think you have to navigate through the online Drive interface to open your files. Once you have Drive installed on your computer, double clicking on any Google Doc file type will automatically open it up in the web app editor.

This. If you click any google docs file it opens in the browser.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By napalm

@JJWeatherman said:

@Downloaded: I want to say no, but the truth is that I'm not 100% certain.

But the whole point of Google Docs/Drive is to provide a cloud-based service. It would be silly to contradict that basic premise. That said, there is actually a Google Drive Windows program that integrates your Drive files with the Windows filesystem. I believe that this, coupled with enabling offline mode in Drive, would allow you to open and edit documents in offline mode, but it would still open in a browser.

Back from the dead.

Also, you can have a desktop client that syncs to the cloud. Dropbox does it, Evernote does it. Plenty of apps do it.