Dexter Season 5. (Spoilers)

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Osaladin

So the premier of Dexter's 5th season was on last night, and I don't know what to feel about it. Last season's finale was probably one of the best I've ever seen on television, but I was afraid that the premier wouldn't live up to the high expectations.  

Things I liked: 

1. Dexter's freak out scene in the bathroom of that gas station where he just up and killed that dude and finally showed a little bit of emotion for Rita's death. 
2. How he didn't cry at all the entire episode. 

Things I didn't like: 

1. Deb and Quinn just up and having sex out of no where, that was weird. 
2. How Miami Homicide didn't take the case. 
3. The whole "I'm running away" thing was a little out of place.  

Overall I liked it, but I don't think it holds up to the cliff hanger they put us on at the end of season 4. Who knows though, it may ramp up to be really good, I'm just hoping it's not all about Dexter taking care of the kids so much that he doesn't kill people any more.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By one_2nd

Watching it now.. 

edit: just finished, i liked it. Pretty slow start, but the last season had a slow start too and it turned out great. The things i didn't like were: 

1. Deb and Quinn, like wtf? 
2. Astor being a bitch. We finally got rid of Rita's annoyingness, and it comes right back in the form of Astor.  

like i said, other than that it was pretty good. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

The scene where he explains to the kids that Rita's dead with the Mickey Mouse ears on was phenomenal. Sad, but phenomenal. 

I loved the flashbacks to Dexter and Rita's first date too. Great start to the season.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Osaladin
@JJWeatherman: Yeah I forgot about that scene. Good ol' Dexter and his straight forwardness.
Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By Geekcore
@Osaladin:  I agree with everything you posted in your likes and dislikes. But I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt. Last season's finale was the best season finale on TV. 

And the "Deb and Quinn" stuff is going to be a season thing; so, like it or not, it's happening (I personally wish it wasn't). I do agree that it was out of the blue, but Deb is being Deb--somewhat self destructive. 
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Geekcore Man I agree about last seasons finale being the best on tv. After seeing Rita in the tub, I remember just whispering "What the fuck..." to myself like five times in a row. I was legitimately sad at that moment.
Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sarkhan

Start of a new season is never that good(In my opinion) But knowing how Dexter steps up for each season, i know we have alot of fun in the coming weeks. 

And yes,  Mickey Mouse ears was awsome touch. I for one are just sooo happy Dex is back on air. Feels like i'v been waiting forever fo rthe Dex fix.    
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterChief

Why were any of you surprised by Debb and Quinn? They have been hinting at that since Quinn joined the show I felt. I though it was a slow start but I know it will soon pick up speed. I can't wait to see what happens with trinity's family and the whole Kyle Butler thing.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

I liked the flashback moments with Rita. I'm hoping Quinn doesn't become another Doakes, because that would be a bit obvious. 

Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Geekcore
@MisterChief:  I don't think that they have been hinting at it. I got the vibe that Quinn was down, but Deb was never interested. She has been with someone ever since he started the show. Plus, they both just got out of crazy weird relationships. Didn't Quinn's girl shoot herself a week ago (TV time)? 

I'm chalking it up to self destructive tendencies by both characters. Also, it will add tension to the whole Quinn/Dexter hate. 

Plus, Quinn is a poor-man's Dokes. 
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By one_2nd
@MisterChief said:
" Why were any of you surprised by Debb and Quinn? They have been hinting at that since Quinn joined the show I felt. I though it was a slow start but I know it will soon pick up speed. I can't wait to see what happens with trinity's family and the whole Kyle Butler thing. "
No, they make deb such a whore in this show. that's the only thing i don't like about her character. 
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Kohe321

Awesome ep

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MisterChief

Quinn is a pimp and you guys are just haters.

Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Geekcore
@MisterChief 
Was it just me, or did it look like he has some facial surgery in between seasons? He could have just had on a ton a makeup. 

And you are wrong about Quinn. Dokes is the man and don't forget it.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MisterChief
@Geekcore: 
His hair has grown out a little bit but other than that he looks the same.
Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Halopower67

I just watched it right now, the scene where he has to tell Rita's kids and their grandparents was kind of hard to watch, such an uneasy moment. I liked the episode too but, i a bit too slow. A week's wait is just too much D:

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Osaladin
@MisterChief said:
" Why were any of you surprised by Debb and Quinn? They have been hinting at that since Quinn joined the show I felt. I though it was a slow start but I know it will soon pick up speed. I can't wait to see what happens with trinity's family and the whole Kyle Butler thing. "
I wouldn't say I was surprised that Deb and Quinn hooked up, I was just surprised at the time they decided to do it. I definitely understand that the two characters are very self destruction oriented, but damn woman, your brother's wife just died 20 feet from you.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Illmatic

The bathroom freak out scene gave me chills. I felt sympathy and fear at the exact same time. I too share the hope that Quinn doesn't turn out to be some re-hash of Doakes though. If he does, I hope they have some sort of angle to give it a little flare. Perhaps the entire department versus Deb and Dexter?

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By EVHKwick
@Osaladin said:

" @MisterChief said:

I wouldn't say I was surprised that Deb and Quinn hooked up, I was just surprised at the time they decided to do it. I definitely understand that the two characters are very self destruction oriented, but damn woman, your brother's wife just died 20 feet from you. "
I just thought that was Deb's way of coping with stress. She slept with Quinn because her brother's wife died twenty feet from her. And Quinn's the kind of guy who'll go along with any woman trying to have sex with him. I honestly don't expect anything to continue between them. 

Also, this was the perfect episode to follow the Season 4 Finale. 

Also also, Quinn is going to be the main antagonist. They've been building it for at least a season. Just like Doakes.
Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Tuggah
@Apathylad:  and he can't be better than Doakes.
PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PS3RG

I'm still not 100% sure that Trinity is the one who killed Rita. Anyone?

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MisterChief

Did anyone else find it weird that everyone seemed to get over it pretty quickly? The passing of time felt really weird in this episode.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Baillie

I liked the scene where Dexter totally hugged Deb, I totally thought incest was gonna ensue, and by the look of Deb's face, she did too, lol. 

The flashback scenes to Rita really made me get angry at Dexter at points. He was such a dick to her!

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HydraHam

I enjoyed the premiere but not as much as S1-4 premiers, i understand it had to set certain things up but at times i found it to be straight up atrocious but im sure it will get better as each episode airs i just PRAY they don't follow the book in terms of what happens with the kids.

Still.. good premiere but not as good as other returning shows like Sons of Anarchy.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Osaladin
@PS3RG said:
" I'm still not 100% sure that Trinity is the one who killed Rita. Anyone? "
I did get this vibe a few times during the episode, but I honestly have no alternatives.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Illmatic
@PS3RG said:
Yes! I've felt the same thing for a while too. I thought to myself, "If Trinity was killing his wife for revenge, why did he go through that whole ritual to do it?" I expect he was waiting for Dexter at his house and was surprised to meet his wife instead but wouldn't that lead to a hasty killing, not another one of his ritualistic kills?.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27  Edited By EpicSteve

It's weird. I thought the episode as a whole was a bit "meh" in terms of plot. However, i thought it contained some of the best individual scenes. The bathroom, Rita and Dexter's first date, and Dexter explaining Rita's death to the kids.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

They obviously didn't take the case because deep down they don't believe Dexter is innocent

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic

oooh gotta get online and WATCH IT NOW !!

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LibraryDues

Ithe scenes dealing with Rita's family, especially before they knew what had happened, were heartbreaking.  I have high hopes for this season, and while he premiere was slow, the spectacular Season 4 also really didn't get firing on all cylinders until the last third or so.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By KaosAngel

I'm not going to watch this show until it all hits Netflix.  >.> 

I like to binge tv serials.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman
@EpicSteve said:
" It's weird. I thought the episode as a whole was a bit "meh" in terms of plot. However, i thought it contained some of the best individual scenes. The bathroom, Rita and Dexter's first date, and Dexter explaining Rita's death to the kids. "
Those were definitely some of the best scenes I've ever seen, especially the explaining the death one. I don't know, I thought the plot was pretty good overall though. It was a lot of setup for the season as a whole, but it was done fairly well. Lots of interesting things happened that could lead to this being a very different season.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kelbear

Dexter telling the kids their mother was dead was a great Dexter moment. Wearing the ridiculous mickey hat, telling them, "I'm sorry for your loss" captured Dexter's sociopathy perfectly.

zzzleepy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By zzzleepy
@Baillie said:
" I liked the scene where Dexter totally hugged Deb, I totally thought incest was gonna ensue, and by the look of Deb's face, she did too, lol. "
Well, they are married in real life so maybe some emotions seeped through!
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Baillie
@Zzzleepy: Haha, yeah I know. I hope she isn't like that in real life though, she would get annoying. Saying that, so would being with a serial killer.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By vaiz
@Illmatic said:
" @PS3RG said:
Yes! I've felt the same thing for a while too. I thought to myself, "If Trinity was killing his wife for revenge, why did he go through that whole ritual to do it?" I expect he was waiting for Dexter at his house and was surprised to meet his wife instead but wouldn't that lead to a hasty killing, not another one of his ritualistic kills?. "
The actor who played Trinity straight up said a while back that yes, Trinity killed Rita. Think about the scene where Dexter kills Trinity. The words "It's already over" take on a whole new meaning.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Osaladin said:
" So the premier of Dexter's 5th season was on last night, and I don't know what to feel about it. Last season's finale was probably one of the best I've ever seen on television, but I was afraid that the premier wouldn't live up to the high expectations.  

Things I liked: 

1. Dexter's freak out scene in the bathroom of that gas station where he just up and killed that dude and finally showed a little bit of emotion for Rita's death. 

Things I didn't like:  1. Deb and Quinn just up and having sex out of no where, that was weird. 2. How Miami Homicide didn't take the case. 3. The whole "I'm running away" thing was a little out of place.   Overall I liked it, but I don't think it holds up to the cliff hanger they put us on at the end of season 4. Who knows though, it may ramp up to be really good, I'm just hoping it's not all about Dexter taking care of the kids so much that he doesn't kill people any more. "

You can't judge Season 5 based on this one episode.  It's a 
clean-up episode. They gotta go through the grieving process
& for me it's not much fun to watch.  I did see at the end the
next Trailer showing Peter Weller!   Peter FUCKING Weller!
Man I hope he's a staple this season.  We had Lithgow for 
Season 4 & fucking Season 5 having Weller the whole time?...man,
the Dexter series is all kinds of epic.

As for Deb fucking around. She's always doing that.  She
probably needed a quick mercy fuck to help with her grieving
process.  Dexter kills to grieve, Debbie fucks.  One is hate
the other is love.
IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By IkariNoTekken
@Osaladin said:
" So the premier of Dexter's 5th season was on last night, and I don't know what to feel about it. Last season's finale was probably one of the best I've ever seen on television, but I was afraid that the premier wouldn't live up to the high expectations.  

Things I liked: 

Things I didn't like:  1. Deb and Quinn just up and having sex out of no where, that was weird. 2. How Miami Homicide didn't take the case. 3. The whole "I'm running away" thing was a little out of place.   Overall I liked it, but I don't think it holds up to the cliff hanger they put us on at the end of season 4. Who knows though, it may ramp up to be really good, I'm just hoping it's not all about Dexter taking care of the kids so much that he doesn't kill people any more. "
1. Its a combination of over emotion and sexual tension, something similar happened to me once. [No one had died but my friend was extremely emotional about something that had happened.] They could have built up the sexual tension between the two characters though, I'll give you that. 
2. Well, they will probably disguise this by saying that La Guerta thought it was a little close to home and that the FBI have the case, but in my mind the writers want Quinn to start investigating on his own measure instead of making it part of a case. Sets it up for chance encounters etc which if you remember is very similar to the events involving Doakes in season 2, overall this idea will help to built up a fair amount of tension. Don't forget Dexter also has the FBI on his back, so having Quinn watching his every move as well sounds great to me. Oh, it also looks as though other characters such as Angel Batista and Vince Masuka might become suspicious of Dexter, so more events might unfold there. (For example: Could some of the team start investigating Dexter under the books without La Guerta knowing?)
3. I personally liked this as it was unexpected and changed it up a little. However the writers probably just used it to set up the 'human emotion' scene. If he had done that in some random bathroom somewhere in the city of Miami, it would of created a lot of questions. Why do you think they showed the guy pressing the bell and shouting for the key, they needed to emphasise that NO ONE was around as they decided not to show you what happened after he killed the man. I assume he dumped the body in the water like his usual MO. 

Anyway overall a great episode, and loved the ending not being some sort of cliffhanger, they seem to be overused in a lot of modern drama programs. Looking forward to the next episode, Osaladin  try and keep this thread open [if you can] we could discuss this every episode, if you want to of course.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Synthballs
@Osaladin said:
" @JJWeatherman: Yeah I forgot about that scene. Good ol' Dexter and his straight forwardness. "
I had to laugh at the "I'm sorry for your loss."
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Synthballs said:

" @Osaladin said:

" @JJWeatherman: Yeah I forgot about that scene. Good ol' Dexter and his straight forwardness. "
I had to laugh at the "I'm sorry for your loss." "
I laughed at that scene too. Then I was like "man, I shouldn't be laughing. This is sad." So many emotions. Such a great scene.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Osaladin
@IkariNoTekken: I'll try to keep it relevant. I feel that Dexter is one of those shows that invites a lot of conversation and discussion about what did or didn't happen.\ 

I see where you are coming from, but I really don't want this to turn into another season 2, granted in season 2  no one suspected Dexter except for Doakes. I'm also wondering if we'll get a replacement for Lundy, or is Quinn supposed to fill both of those roles? We can only wait and find out, I'm really excited to see where they take this season.
SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By SumDeus

The Deb and Quinn thing definitely could have been handled differently... also Miami is going to take the case eventually.

I hope the next episode is a little more eventful.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

Deb fucks everybody and its boring. People in the office fuck people who end up being killers (4 times now), that's boring. Retreading the Doakes story is boring. Dexter needs to come undone already, that's where the story stays interesting.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I'll be honest I was kind of interested in the route Dexter might have taken if he had left and not come back.  After seeing him express a flood of emotion and killing that man, I immediately thought they were gonna follow a path where Dexter loses control and starts killing out of emotion. He still would have had the FBI on his back and obviously everyone would suspect him, but it would have been a big change from the norm. Maybe he would have a breakdown or maybe due to his outbursts he would get sloppy with his kills and leave potential evidence.
However seconds later Dexter returns and that idea is out the window, however I'm sure the season won't disappoint it hasn't before.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Osaladin
@IkariNoTekken said:
" I'll be honest I was kind of interested in the route Dexter might have taken if he had left and not come back.  After seeing him express a flood of emotion and killing that man, I immediately thought they were gonna follow a path where Dexter loses control and starts killing out of emotion. He still would have had the FBI on his back and obviously everyone would suspect him, but it would have been a big change from the norm. Maybe he would have a breakdown or maybe due to his outbursts he would get sloppy with his kills and leave potential evidence.However seconds later Dexter returns and that idea is out the window, however I'm sure the season won't disappoint it hasn't before. "
I had a similar thought when I was watching that scene. Maybe Dexter becomes the type of serial killer that he keeps hunting. So many ways they can take this season.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Well i just watched it, i couldnt stand Dexter not being the perfect criminal and the neat accurate human being who has everything under control,  so i went back to watching Season 2 (been watching the show from the start again) 

I welcome the changes and cant wait to see shit hit the fan but i cant take Dexter being such a ho  

@ryanwho said:

" Deb fucks everybody and its boring. People in the office fuck people who end up being killers (4 times now), that's boring. Retreading the Doakes story is boring. Dexter needs to come undone already, that's where the story stays interesting. "

you do have a point there, especially about Deb fucking everyone.. thats so fucking annoying how its so easy for people in this show to hook up and fuck its unreal.. 
However, easy there tiger, that show is tight 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho

No I like it. Deb is like a hiccup on the show, in between parts I like a lot. Same with ghost dad. Everything else is solid. And also, when lady killers have sex with someone in the office, they're always hot and have a million nude scenes.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By defaulttag

Dexter is slowly becoming more human- i like 
Deb continues to be a slut- dislike  
Rita died- crazy twist, which gave the show a reason to flush out more of Dexter's character- i like 
Quinn is similar to Doakes- dislike. Doakes was actually funny and so over the top. Quinn is just annoying. Yet they have the exact same role, lame rehash.