Did I just get hacked over Xbox Live?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I was playing Black Ops 2 about an hour ago and I was the host, then a guy asked me if I lived in California, I said "Yes". Why not right? It's a huge state.

And then he asked me if I lived in my city, and I said "Yeah...?" Then he stated that he knew my IP address, my up/down, my internet company, and a few other things.

A few rounds later, I was logged off of Xbox Live, and my internet completely died for a good 2-3 minutes. My internet pretty much never dies so its too peculiar to be just a coincidence.

So my question is, what the hell just happened?

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Green_Incarnate

You didn't get hacked. You got DDOSed. Any skript kiddy can pay 20$ a month to a "DDOS testing site", where he can use those computers to flood your connection. He got your ip from the game, since you need to share it to play peer to peer.

Also, DDOSing is illegal, although I don't think there's much action you can take against it, unless you have a grip of money and time. There's a few ways you can prevent it (play by proxy or VPN), but they're a hassle for the average person who doesn't get DDOSed often.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

Neither your IP nor your service provider are hard to find out, they are out there for all plain to see as soon as you connect to anything. (unless your provider is masking your IP, or you're doing yourself through a proxy, etc). Same goes for country/city as these usually have a set range of IPs bound to them. As CoD multiplayer is peer to peer a rudimentary packet sniffer on the PC that xbox is connected through can tell you all that.

This is your standard internet boogie man bullshit used to scare people who are less aware of how TCP/IP functions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You didn't get hacked. You got DDOSed. Any skipt kiddy can pay 20$ a month to a "DDOS testing site", where he can use those computers to flood your connection. He got your ip from the game, since you need to share it to play peer to peer.

Thanks. Glad to know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither your IP nor your service provider are hard to find out, they are out there for all plain to see as soon as you connect to anything. (unless your provider is masking your IP, or you're doing yourself through a proxy, etc). Same goes for country/city as these usually have a set range of IPs bound to them. As CoD multiplayer is peer to peer a rudimentary packet sniffer on the PC that xbox is connected through can tell you all that.

This is your standard internet boogie man bullshit used to scare people who are less aware of how TCP/IP functions.

I knew that much about your IP address, but I never knew you could just sign up for a website that does DDOS attacks for you.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This guy sounds like a dick. You should go shoot him in the head.

In the game, I mean.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Did you get his username?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

What a dick. He probably doesn't have a lot going on if he's doing this to random people over Xbox Live.