• 67 results
Posted by liquiddragon (2856 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Did RoboCop scar you as a child? (287 votes)

Yes 30%
No 70%

I totally saw the beginning when Peter Weller gets shot up when I was a child and it haunted me for years. The funny thing is, I've heard from other people that this exact thing happened to them including Brad. It's probably only a minority in the grand scheme of things but I'd still like to know the numbers!

#1 Edited by Mike (17941 posts) -

I think the scene that stuck with me more as a kid was the one where the dude drove his van into a vat of toxic waste. After that, for awhile I thought every container that looked like that had toxic waste in it just waiting to melt someone's face off.

#2 Posted by Zirilius (1700 posts) -

Yep couldn't watch Robocop for years after that.

#3 Posted by Arabes (744 posts) -

If by scar me you mean it made me think Robo Cop was fucking awesome then yes! Also, Murphy's death did give me nightmares :) I think I watched it when it was released on tape here in Ireland so I guess I was 8 maybe? Such a cool movie. Robo Cop, Terminator, Aliens & Predator were my go to action movies when I was small.

#4 Posted by cornfed40 (585 posts) -

@mike said:

I think the scene that stuck with me more as a kid was the one where the dude drove his van into a vat of toxic waste. After that, for awhile I thought every container that looked like that had toxic waste in it just waiting to melt someone's face off.

No Caption Provided

^THIS^ Although for me it was less when he actually hit the vat, and more when that car turned him into a water balloon right after.

#5 Edited by Fezrock (617 posts) -

Yeah, the toxic waste scene was what got me. I wasn't even watching the movie; it was just on the TV on a room I walked in to right when that scene was happening. Definitely messed me up for a little bit.

Crazy thing was, I didn't even know that RoboCop was the movie. Years later I watched it, and when that scene came on it was a real shock of recognition.

#6 Edited by OurSin_360 (6070 posts) -

I saw it as a kid and only remember it being the coolest shit ever, but by that time i'm sure i had already been "scarred" by chucky and freddy kreuger my older brother made me watch. :-)

#7 Posted by TheWildCard (670 posts) -

Nope. It scarred me as an adult.

#9 Posted by Slag (8063 posts) -

In light of these comments, I kind feel weird now that it didn't bother me at all

#10 Posted by Dave_Tacitus (2390 posts) -

I was 14 when Robocop came out. I remember me and my friends cheering when the toxic waste-d guy got hit by the car.

Watership Down had scarred me, I was numb when Robocop came around...

#11 Posted by Skullbuggery (34 posts) -

I was 6 or 7 when it came to VHS, that toxic scene done me in.

#12 Posted by paulmako (1946 posts) -

Still far less disturbing to me than the Indiana Jones face melting horror show.

#13 Edited by RonGalaxy (4935 posts) -

I got a badass Robocop action figure after seeing it, so nope. There are definitely some movies that scarred me, but not Robocop.

#14 Posted by Dizzyhippos (4291 posts) -

I dont remember any of this (I was apparently too young) but when my mom used to need like an hour and a half to just get shit done. She would sit me infront of the TV and put on the OG robocop, Fatal Attraction or Rosemary's baby. I was informed of this later... and suddenly a lot of things about me made way more sense...

#15 Posted by MeierTheRed (5754 posts) -

I was 6 or 7 when it came to VHS, that toxic scene done me in.

To be fair i think it did for most of us in that age bracket. I remember the very start of the movie where Murphy gets shot to shit being pretty damn dark as well.

#16 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Nope, always liked it. My very religious mother loved Alien/Aliens so we watched those as well when I was but a stripling. I really can't think of a movie that gave me any serious issues; except to say that the late 80's/early 90's were amazing and so is Starship Troopers. Thank you Arnold/Paul Verhoeven.

Oh right that Mark Twain movie which is still the creepiest fucking thing in existence, sheer inexorable horror:

Loading Video...

#17 Posted by ghost_cat (2131 posts) -

It was the first movie I have ever watched. I think I was four or five, and it thought it was the coolest thing I've ever seen (still super cool).

#18 Edited by andrew2696 (620 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I somehow have never heard of this movie.

That's some Satan depiction right there. Shit, was this marketed to kids?

#19 Posted by hakunin (533 posts) -

Nope. I think I was 6 or seven 7, maybe even 5. I think my reaction was "Holy shit, that was awesome!".

#20 Posted by Veektarius (6352 posts) -

The only scene from Robocop that really bothered me as a kid was the bit where they pry off his visor at the gas station. I think it had less to do with the violence of the act than it did with how much less cool/more freaky he looked without it on.

#21 Edited by jakob187 (22943 posts) -

It didn't scar me at all.

Leprechaun, though? Yeah. That fucked me up.

Before you shun the idea, allow me to explain (and for all intents and purposes, I reference only the first movie, not the atrocities that came after it):

1. He can appear ANYWHERE. A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E.
  2. Even if you had nothing to do with his gold, he will kill you heinously.
  3. The only way you can kill him is with a four-leaf clover, which you (roughly) have a 1 in 10,000 chance of finding. Not only do you have to find a patch of clovers, but then you have to deal with the odds of finding the one thing that will kill him.

Those three prospects and my binary mind as a child created disaster. Nightmares galore. Leprechaun is a fucking asshole and one of the best villains ever, and THAT is some scarring shit.

The second-most scarring thing? The heart rip scene in Temple of Doom.

#22 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5978 posts) -

Yeah, but not as much as Darkman.

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (11513 posts) -

No, the trauma caused by Alien dominated my early childhood

#24 Posted by SamanthaK (225 posts) -

The was a disturbing scene when i first saw it but it didn't affect me at all.

It's still a damn good movie if you watch it right now.

#25 Posted by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

I don't think I watched it as a child. I only watched pieces as an adult. Didn't seem that great.

#26 Posted by BeachThunder (15034 posts) -

You're definitely making some assumptions about what I watched when I was a child. I only saw the movie last year, definitely not as bad as stuff from a lot of other movies (although, I do watch a lot of horror movies).

BTW, the scene in question:

Loading Video...

#27 Posted by turboman (9534 posts) -

@mike said:

Yep. I think I was around five or six when I first saw that scene. It was at my friends house and his parents were watching it. That scene cause many nightmares.

#28 Posted by Sweep (10460 posts) -

Yeah but chicks dig scars.

No Caption Provided

#29 Posted by Rorie (5136 posts) -

I think I came to Robocop a bit too late for it to scar me, but the drowning horse in The Neverending Story was...not pleasant.

Staff
#30 Posted by Zefpunk (806 posts) -

RoboCop is still my favorite movie of all time (although it can be Drive other days as well), and the lynchpin for my entire philosophy on movies and movie-making: That no matter how ridiculous the premise, you can make a great movie out of anything.

I was a kid when I first saw the scene in question, and I thought it was sad, but simultaneously made me excited to see Boddicker eventually get his. And he did, by way of "data spike" fatality.

In summation: RoboCop fucking rules. (Also, respect for writing it "RoboCop" and not "Robocop")

#31 Posted by development (3110 posts) -

For some reason the druggie-dude's face implanted into the bad guy machine in Robocop 2 scared me the most. The way its face contorts and gets "angry" scared me a lot.

#32 Posted by KingBonesaw (1230 posts) -

I'm in a weird position because I discovered the RoboCop cartoon first. It wasn't until later that I finally saw the movie and was blown away at how violent it was.

Also, because of OSW Review whenever I think of RocoCop I think of this:

Loading Video...

#33 Posted by sawtooth (598 posts) -

I remember being fine with Robocop...

Pink Floyd's The Wall left a few marks though

#34 Posted by Toadstool (30 posts) -

Naw, I was watching faces of death on vhs by 9, thanks Dad.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
#35 Posted by OpusOfTheMagnum (647 posts) -

Nah, cause I'm not a PUSSY.

But seriously I was fucked up as a kid so nothing really hit me. It was intense but not scarring or really disturbing. My reaction was "Damn robocop a bad ass."

Avatar image for justtakemymoney
#36 Edited by justtakemymoney (50 posts) -

Yes, but not nearly as much as when Johnny 5 got tore the hell up by goons in Short Circuit. He was begging for his life! WHY?!

Loading Video...

#37 Edited by Rata Gain (54 posts) -

for all it deep messaging and pg-13 gore it is a very silly movie,and also i grew up with french animation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5925b625d5da1
#38 Posted by deactivated-5925b625d5da1 (9 posts) -
#39 Edited by Marz (6095 posts) -

when they gunned down murphy, that was kinda hard to watch as a kid... but otherwise I thought it was a cool movie when i was a kid...

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
#40 Edited by ClairvoyantVibrations (1615 posts) -

I was like 16 the first time I saw RoboCop and the scene where the dude gets mutated by toxic waste and then run over still freaked me out.

@fredchuckdave: Holy fuck dude. Like I'm kinda into that but it's creepy as hell? It reminds me of a David Lynch short film or something...

#41 Posted by Applegong (373 posts) -

@turboman said:
@mike said:

Yep. I think I was around five or six when I first saw that scene. It was at my friends house and his parents were watching it. That scene cause many nightmares.

Count me in that group of traumatized children too. Luckily I didn't watch the scene that began it all.

#43 Posted by stantongrouse (107 posts) -

The first Robocop (toxic waste scene in particular got me) but I was 8 or 9 when it was out on video and being watched at a friends house where distractions lessened the impact. Convinced my Mum to get the sequel for me when that came out, watched in alone, and that messed my head up completely. Still don't think I've watched it fully since then - that kid creeps the bejesus out of me.

#44 Edited by Tom_omb (1044 posts) -

Yep! Watched the begining few minutes at the older neighbor kid's house when I was 5ish. They were channel surfing on their satellite TV (the kind with a huge dish). I was sure I exaggerated Murphy's death scene, I had an image in my head that he became a pile of blood. It wasn't until I was in my 20s when I saw the full movie. It was exactly as I remembered.

#47 Posted by thegame983 (53 posts) -

Every 9 year old should be made to watch Robocop and the rest of the 80s' classics

#48 Posted by CatMeat (70 posts) -

Yes, but in a good way.

#49 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1886 posts) -

Yes, but not nearly as much as when Johnny 5 got tore the hell up by goons in Short Circuit. He was begging for his life! WHY?!

Loading Video...

This post is 15 months old, and yet I still can't stop myself from pointing out that this scene is from Short Circuit 2, not Short Circuit.

You're welcome everyone. Crisis averted.

#50 Posted by nutter (1247 posts) -

No scars. I had ZERO empathy as a child.

I find it more gruesome as an adult.

I remember liking Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer as a kid. I saw a bit of it on IFC about a decade ago. I had zero interest in watching it as an adult.