Do Americans wear shoes at home?

• 137 results
ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I see this in like every American movie: people walking around their homes in the shoes they just went in with or jumping in their beds with them. Are slippers too old-fashioned?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By falserelic

No, aleast I don't.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'm also interested to hear how common this is. I just can't fathom why anyone would want to ruin their floors by walking around in their shoes. And don't your feet smell horrendous if you wear those shoes all day?

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

American consumerism has been rampant for so many generations now that people have actually evolved branded shoes instead of feet.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShockD

@isomeri said:

I'm also interested to hear how common this is. I just can't fathom why anyone would want to ruin their floors by walking around in their shoes. And don't your feet smell horrendous if you wear those shoes all day?

I once read on a forum (maybe it was this very forum) a post by a guy who took of his shoes only when bathing. Can you imagine, he could obtain radioactive isotopes in his shoes...

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wear them in other people's homes unless prompted to leave them at the door, but the only time I wear them at my house is when I walk from the front door to my room to take them off.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When I was growing up we didn't have a "take the shoes off at the door" policy. But it's not like we kept them on all the time either.

But now that I have my own place I always take my shoes off at the door.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By supamon

In Asia that's really unheard of. Sock length has gotten shorter and shorter too.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

Take the shoes off at the door you wierdos. Don't bring your germ infested shoes into your living space. There's probably enough germs there already without needing bring in the dog shit particles.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I take my shoes off the door and have a small shoe shelf to put them on

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hell no. When I get home, the shoes come right off. And if i'm not entertaining anyone, I change my pants too.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By inkerman

I generally do, but I live in a sharehouse, and the floor tends to not always be clean. At home I take em off, but we don't have a 'no shoes inside' policy.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DystopiaX

No but I'm Asian so I don't know if what I do is really typical for most Americans.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

Not often. In Texas, most people I know take off their shoes when they enter their home. Though, depending on your familiarity with someone, it's not uncommon to keep your shoes on as a guest. Less than a sanitary issue, it's often a comfort issue. So, the more comfortable you are with a place, the more likely you'll take off your shoes when entering. Thus, taking off shoes is rather common at home.

Of course, some families do request that guests take off their shoes, and that's fine. I know of a good number of homes where they have a specific spot in the entrance of the home for people to place their shoes when coming in. In those cases, I will certainly oblige and take off my shoes.

It varies for guests, depending on comfort and courtesy, but in general, Americans who live in a home will take off their shoes in their home.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow I don't think all americans do the same thing. There happens to be some diversity there, or so I would believe.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on how long I'll be in the house if I know I'm going to be leaving again within the hour, I'll leave them on. Most other times they come off as soon as I sit down somewhere.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow I don't think all americans do the same thing. There happens to be some diversity there, or so I would believe.

That's a good point to make as well. The cultural diversity of America makes this more of a state or even region within states question. Though, we can certainly look at our perceptions of the majority and speak of that as "most homes". Yet, to your point, it can even vary house to house, as many families of different backgrounds live side by side in many areas of the nation.

In my experience, taking off your shoes when coming inside is more common in suburban areas and less common in downtown areas. Though, depending on wealth and cultural background, that can vary significantly.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but we have some truly shit beer.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unilad said:

Pshh. You must live in a Northern state. Plenty of Southern states have quite good beer. (And, all kidding aside, most popular beers from around the world can be purchased rather easily in America due to its level of global trade. Not all countries are so fortunate in that regard.)

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels completely natural to me to take off my shoes and my socks when I come home. It's what I did growing up and what I continue to do to this day. But entering another person's home, that's where the uncertainty kicks in. When instructed to, I gladly take off my shoes at the front door, but then again I sometimes don't feel comfortable enough walking around in socks on another person's hardwood floors. Maybe if they had some slippers for guests to wear I'd feel much better. Not many Americans I know have guest slippers.

Also, what does the rest of the World do for their dinner parties? Do they invite guests and everybody wears their socks in the house? Or do they have enough slippers to feet all those guests? Around Christmas, my relatives gather around my Aunt's house and there are usually more than 50 people all crammed into her house. We all wear our shoes. I doubt anybody, European or otherwise, has enough slippers to feet everyone.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually go up to my room and take my shoes off there, and I'll usually walk around barefoot until I need to leave the house again. It's been that way my whole life. Also,

@unilad said:

Maybe if you drink the piss that is Bud Light or Coors. Magic Hat, Dogfish Head, Stone Brew, and Shiner are some of my favorite brands, and they're American!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never have. It just feels weird, and I don't want to track up my apartment. Bare feet, every time.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As I mentioned in the thread about people who wear socks at home, I find the very idea repellent.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'm an american and I wear slippers at home.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morningstar

As I mentioned in the thread about people who wear socks at home, I find the very idea repellent.

Try living in Norway, it's very cold here much of the year. Socks are needed.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unilad said:

You really don't. America makes some of the best beer in the word. It's just the heavily marketed popular crap that's garbage. It's pretty much the same everywhere but I guess the popular beer in America is a notch below most other places.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

Is it cool if I round up all the Americans who do it and send them to Norway then? I don't want them in my country.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At social gatherings, no. But when it's just me, yeah.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#31  Edited By isomeri

@unilad said:

There is a lot of excellent beer coming from America, especially recently with the increase in number of smaller breweries. But yes compared to most of the world the popular beer brands in America are like making love in a canoe. Fucking close to water.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@morningstar said:

@hunter5024 said:

Is it cool if I round up all the Americans who do it and send them to Norway then? I don't want them in my country.

I find naked feet grotesque. It seems we are at an impasse.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JouselDelka

American consumerism has been rampant for so many generations now that people have actually evolved branded shoes instead of feet.

The only plausible answer

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar said:

@hunter5024 said:

Sure, we got plenty of space. All them mountains you know.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I like the convenience of not stopping when I enter/exit a place just to take off/put on my shoes. Also, my three cats are all outdoor cats that track in a good amount of dust and dirt. I don't like walking around on it with my socks or bare feet. I also game at a standing desk, so I'm standing for long periods. It's nice to have the stability of a comfortable shoe. I'm in coastal Canada though, so it's not as swelteringly hot as most of the States. Foot sweat isn't as big a deal as a result, but I also don't sweat much in general. I have the driest skin of anyone I know.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Take the shoes off at the door you wierdos. Don't bring your germ infested shoes into your living space. There's probably enough germs there already without needing bring in the dog shit particles.

100% this. Plus, it is more comfortable letting your feet breath.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Being an American, and owning multipule shoes through out my life i feel I am qualified to awnser this question:

Sometimes?

I usually get home, and about 20 min later, i will take off my shoes while sitting at my desk. But I will put my shoes on if my feet are cold.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. However, I grew up in a first generation Asian household. One of my childhood observations is that my Asian friends' parents would request that shoes come off. In my white friends' homes, shoes were kept on. It baffled me, and I always felt really crappy when the mom was vacuuming, told me I could keep my shoes on, and then promptly would vacuum up the trail of leaves, dirt, and dust we'd track in.

Now that I own my own home and have been Americanized, I don't care. I take my shoes off. My friends (Many of whom grew up with Asian friends.) take their shoes off, but I never ask them to.

Who knows, maybe they're just following my lead. When I walk in the door, the shoes come off. It's just more comfortable. If I'm not expecting guests, the pants come off too.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, absolutely not.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No Caption Provided

@zudthespud said:

The only plausible answer

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish i never had to wear shoes unless it was like, a physical necessity. hate these things. and the only time i like socks is autumn and winter when it actually enhances coziness instead of trapping my feet in a demon cotton prison. so yeah prettymuch when i get home i ditch shoes and socks and possibly pants (takin it eaaaasy)

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep all 313 million of us.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always take my shoes off whenever I enter my home, I can't stand wearing the damn things inside. My brother on the other hand... I swear his shoes ARE his feet. I never see him with them off.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I walk into the house knowing that I am gonna be kicking it there for a while, I will kick my shoes off. If I know I am only there for a little while, I will keep them on.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

I always take my shoes off whenever I enter my home, I can't stand wearing the damn things inside. My brother on the other hand... I swear his shoes ARE his feet. I never see him with them off.

Aren't you disturbed walking barefoot or with socks on there where he just passed by with his shoes on? Doesn't he bring in dirt? Or he buys special shoes for home use only?

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just American movie stars who keep their shoes on in bed. It's part of their secret pact.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shockd said:

I see this in like every American movie: people walking around their homes in the shoes they just went in with or jumping in their beds with them. Are slippers too old-fashioned?

Either its so common that I dont notice anymore, or I have no fucking idea what your watching. I may have worm my show around the house when I was a kid, but no, people dont wear their shows around the house.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unilad said:

Pshh. You must live in a Northern state. Plenty of Southern states have quite good beer. (And, all kidding aside, most popular beers from around the world can be purchased rather easily in America due to its level of global trade. Not all countries are so fortunate in that regard.)

More like lietellah. (I kid)

Here in Michigan, which I consider fairly north-ish, we have something like the fourth or fifth most craft breweries in the country. I'll put some of our beer up against any beer in the world and have nothing but confidence in the fact that they'll emerge from the battle as the most delicious.

Shoe thing so not to derail the topic: Some people wear shoes in the house, some don't. It's a big country. Going from personal experience, most people don't like shoes indoors.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Threads like this are always baffling. Do you guys know how big America is?

Also no.