Do people actually like John Wick?

• 138 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Do people actually like John Wick? (985 votes)

1 Star 1%
2 Stars 3%
3 Stars 9%
4 Stars 35%
5 Stars 52%

I saw it some time ago (before the Dan hype) and thought it was really as sub-par as it gets. I feel like I saw a different movie than the one people talk about. There is nothing about even the action that's worth mentioning. I went in expecting well choreographed shootouts but basically all he does is blow heads off at point blank range.

I'm curious what some people actually see in this movie. There are lots of movies I don't like I can admire or appreciate at a distance but with this one, I feel like I'm missing something. If you really like this movie, please let me know what it is about this movie. I'm open to a 2nd viewing.

While I'm at it, I think Hardcore Henry is awful. That one to me isn't open for discussion.

• 
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

It's a movie that knows exactly what it wants to be and executes it perfectly. It's great.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

its da bes

5 headshots out of 4 reloads

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
NietzscheCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's great. Really great. But you sort of can't compare it to other films in terms of quality. Its a different thing. The same way the latest Call of Duty isn't X-plane 11, a flight simulator. In this analogy John Wick is the flight simulator. Its speciality film making for an intended audience. The movie is directed by stuntmen and professional fight choreographers, Keanu's fight choreographer pals from the matrix films. For them and the intended audience the fight scenes are the raison d'être for the film and they push that angle better than your typical action director who tries to walk the line between plot and action. It's refreshing in its lack of pretence. 4 stars.

balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so angry that I never saw John Wick at the Cinema, it was nice to see a film that wasn't a remake or reboot to be fair I am a fan of the marvel films. Simple revenge story so yes I'm a big fan

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Its solid, but the over-the-top praise for it is a little weird. John Wick is like the Undertale of action movies in that way.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is it the greatest piece of cinema ever created? NO. Does it have its flaws? YES.

Is it the best new age action movie? YES .... Why is it so good? It puts enough realism in its action scene (while still being a Hollywood action movie and being way over the top) that it kept my attention through out the whole movie. As someone who is in the business of professional prize fighting, I very much appreciated the little attention to realism (from authentic grappling moves, actual reloading etc.).

It was like a good professional wrestling match - it's still wrassling and its still carny BS, but its done well enough with enough realism that you buy into it and its good entertainment.

Plus its Keanu Reeves being great at what he does - and THAT DOG :(

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to enjoy it more. But the horrible cg muzzle flashes and blood effects take me right out of it. Normally I'd look past something like that. But gun fights are about 80% of the movie.

I forgot about this, but yeah, the cgi was unfortunate.

Soccerpolska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the joy of John Wick comes from it's execution. It doesn't pretend to be anything else than just a playful, dumb action film. In some ways it's similar to the Expendables series, but it differentiates itself because it has some of the world-building found in comic films. I can see why Dan likes it, because it has similarities to the nonsense of Metal Gear, but without any preachy baggage attached.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By BojackHorseman

Since it's release I have seen John Wick 15, maybe 20 times. It is the best action film made in at least a decade. I can understand people not liking it if they think the story is thin for example, but to criticize the action choreography... I'm baffled. That to me just shows that you want to dislike this movie.

It is praised throughout Hollywood and by film critics for it's unique and extraordinarily crafted action sequences. None of that shaky cam or quick cuts that you see in other action films. Keanu Reeves even does most of his own stunt work, and it's better for it. It is solid one-to-two camera action, and is as well choreographed as anything before or after. What you see happening on screen actually happened on set. I know this sounds as I'm insulted, and I borderline am. There are some objective truths in this world, and that the action in John Wick is excellent is most certainly one of them.

I'm curious as to what you consider a film with good action choreography? I think the film is superb in every way, and can't wait to see the sequel in theaters tomorrow.

Also, watch;

Loading Video...

And this scene:

Loading Video...

That is actually fantastic acting by Keanu Reeves. So much emotion and rage in this scene.

Edit: Also, as a guy who's been in the army most of my adult life, I love the attention to detail in how he handles his weapons. Everything from how he runs with them, to how he secures rifles under his arm when not shooting is just fantastic.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

700 votes and over 50% would give it 5 stars?

I knew there was a reason I liked this community.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The first one has an 85 on Rotten Tomatoes and the second one has a 90.

So yeah, I'd say people generally like them.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I think it just depends on what kind of action you prefer. I don't really get anything out of the whole club scene aside from the martial arts bit at the end because it looks kinda one note and dry to me. No slo mo for impact, not a lot of cool camera angles, no nothing. Just long takes of John Wick walking around and shooting dudes, occasionally throwing someone to the floor. Judging from the whole counting bullets thing I get the sense that it appeals most to people who value realism(Or believability) in their action scenes(Or maybe just to people who really like to see dudes get shot in the head, like Dan seems to whenever he describes it). NietzscheCookie seems on point about it being for a specific audience, I'm just surprised that that audience is such a majority of GB users.

@bojackhorseman said:

Since it's release I have seen John Wick 15, maybe 20 times. It is the best action film made in at least a decade. I can understand people not liking it if they think the story is thin for example, but to criticize the action choreography... I'm baffled. That to me just shows that you want to dislike this movie.

It is praised throughout Hollywood and by film critics for it's unique and extraordinarily crafted action sequences. None of that shaky cam or quick cuts that you see in other action films. Keanu Reeves even does most of his own stunt work, and it's better for it. It is solid one-to-two camera action, and is as well choreographed as anything before or after. What you see happening on screen actually happened on set. I know this sounds as I'm insulted, and I borderline am.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: I 100% agree with everything you have said and probably feel.

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine on first watch but watch it again and you see how thin it is. Yo sad hitman get's angry and kills everyone. Thin.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine on first watch but watch it again and you see how thin it is. Yo sad hitman get's angry and kills everyone. Thin.

I literally have seen it 15-20 times. I think it's better on repeat watchings.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made it as far as the hardcore gangsters whispering John Wick's name in terror. Sorry, nobody who murders for a living would be that scared of someone else who murders for a living. The bits of gunplay I saw on YouTube looked competent, which means better than anything I've seen in a decade, so I was kind of disappointed it couldn't hold my attention until those parts.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, the scary part of John is that we're seeing him fight in his retired form, and it shows -- his old bud saves him; he would've died, and his out-of-touchness shows at times. I doubt he's been training, and he's been out of game for years, so we're seeing a shell of what he was, and what these guys who talk about him like the boogie man must remember, hence why they're scared. During the film there are moments of, "Pff, so this is the guy? Maybe he's not so bad," but luck is also on his side. But yeah, now he's back in the habit, the sequel will probably up the ante (I haven't seen it) in that regard, making good on that mythical aspect.

I don't care though. If I want a deep, rich Russian mob story, I'll watch Eastern Promises. John Wick doesn't have to try and be something it doesn't want or care or need to be. That would be dumb and dishonest in my opinion. There's room for all kinds of films, and there is no rigid structure that all movies need to follow, even as a basic guideline, it's optional. We need more simplistic, stripped down films that just don't give a shit. The more American action movies take from Asian cinema, the better.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I'm curious as to what you consider a film with good action choreography? I think the film is superb in every way, and can't wait to see the sequel in theaters tomorrow.

The Raid and The Raid 2 both have better choreography, but John Wick is probably about as good as American movies get when it comes to choreography.

I still voted five stars. It's just a great movie. The Equalizer was fun too--very similar premise--but not as good. I'm very happy the sequel is getting good reviews.

Another fun movie with a similar theme is Payback, with Mel Gibson.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#120  Edited By liquiddragon

Just a heads up since you guys seem to really enjoy this movie. You can own it on Amazon Video for $5 atm.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is the Citizen Kane of movies

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By BoOzak

I think this is clearly a case of something being hyped up and and raising expectations too high. I'm glad I watched it before I heard it was the best action movie in years.

It's good but it's got nothing on either of The Raid movies or even the latest Mad Max (different kind of movie, I know). I'd give it 4 stars. Looking forward to the sequel.

EDIT: Skimmed through the part where you said you had seen it before the overhyping, although I stand by that having a detrimental effect on things.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeimosReign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Raid and The Raid 2 both have better choreography, but John Wick is probably about as good as American movies get when it comes to choreography.

I'm so glad the remake of the raid has fallen out. These movies don't need another remake, they're fantastic on their own and don't need to be "Americanized."

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By lead_dispencer

Man I just watched the second movie. Some gruesome shit. Also I have no idea how they make a 3 rd movie and keep it grounded

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By BojackHorseman

@bojackhorseman said:

Those films have great martial arts, but is a different beast entirely from John Wick. John Wick does what it does better than anyone else.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like simple action movies and... this is a simple action movie, there are things about it i don't like namely most of the characters, but the premise of retired Keanu Reeves going on a rampage is appealing enough for me, it has enough action scenes throughout to keep my interest, though the "final fight" is terrible, pointless even.
4 stars.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 1

I love how the action is shot in it. The camera stays still and lets the action unfold, like a Hong Kong action film. I find the whole repetitive quick edits are very distracting.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this and dredd are the best action flicks i have seen in the last few years. Thinking about sitting down and watching both again, want to check out the sequel too.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#131 fisk0  Moderator

I just saw it. I liked it, but I don't think it's all that special. The mythologization of the titular protagonist was fun and fairly unique and there were some well choreographed and shot action scenes but I don't think it'll be anything I'll look back at with much reverence like what Dan seems to do.

I'd give it a solid 3 stars, bordering on a 4.

I'll definitely check out the sequel, but I'll probably wait for the bluray release.

Johnny Mnemonic remains my favorite Keanu Reeves role.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it this weekend after having been severely depressed by Manchester by the Sea, and I thought it was entertaining. I don't even like action movies and now I'm looking forward to seeing the second one.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is one of the best action movies I have seen in years. It reminds me of the kinds of action films I grew up watching. That being said, if you do not like action movies then I don't see there being a whole lot there for you. Also if you don't think the action was well choreographed then I have to question your taste in action scenes.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By paulmako

After thinking about it some more, I've decided to be honest. No-one actually liked John Wick. Everyone is just pretending to enjoy it. All the people in this thread who say they love it, they are also lying. It's a huge charade. When a significant amount of people say they enjoyed something that you don't like, as they have done with John Wick, the best response is to doubt their sincerity. Because they may say it's one of their favourite action films of recent times, but there's no way they actually like it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@paulmako said:

After thinking about it some more, I've decided to be honest. No-one actually liked John Wick. Everyone is just pretending to enjoy it. All the people in this thread who say they love it, they are also lying. It's a huge charade. When a significant amount of people say they enjoyed something that you don't like, as they have done with John Wick, the best response is to doubt their sincerity. Because they may say it's one of their favourite action films of recent times, but there's no way they actually like it.

I don't think OP was being deliberately dismissive about anyone's opinion. At least, seems like the 'do you really like it' part was not meant literally.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I respect it more than I actually like it. There's one shot in particular that I love - right before the nightclub shootout ensues, when one of the guards gets thrown against a transparent wall and blood splatters while the club music hums in the background. Stylish as fuck if you ask me.

I'm going to see 2 today.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@zevvion said:
@paulmako said:

I don't think OP was being deliberately dismissive about anyone's opinion. At least, seems like the 'do you really like it' part was not meant literally.

I would have been provoked if it had been "Nobody really likes John Wick, and that's okay".

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw chapter 2 yesterday and loved it. Great action, music, and colors. The universe of the assassins is the real star of the movies.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

It's never appealed to me, but Dan Ryckert seems to like it

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched it on Sunday, unbelievably good. I was especially impressed with Common as I didn't expect him to be able to do such great fight scenes.

They improved on everything in the first film.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

Yep. It's a fantastic action film with some great editing and choreography. It just gets to the point without unnecessary hand holding too.