• 102 results
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By valrog

No, we don't. Because everything already happened.

MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@Pox22 said:
" @EternalInfinity0:   Who's arguing that free-will and the idea of case-and-effect are mutually exclusive?  Of course any situation is predicated upon what led up to it, but at each turn a choice was made in reaction to each event or cause.  Each moment is the result of countless decisions made by countless people.  Our decisions might be swayed by our experiences, upbringing, and past events, but they're still decisions. "
I personally believe both exist simultaneously. It first appeared to me as a paradox but it really doesn't anymore. I'm a Christian myself, and find my worldview/religious beliefs coincide well with this co-existence of free will and predestination. I typically only have cause to disagree with those who embrace only one of the two sides exclusively with no acknowledgment of the other.
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By TehFlan

I believe my past experiences make it more probable that I will follow a certain path, but the choice is still mine, similar to how a scientist can know at what energy level an electron is likely to be at, but not know for certain. Basically, people have free will, but certain "paths" are more likely than others, based on past experience and whatnot. I can grow up in an English-speaking country, but also learn to speak French of my own free will, independently of actually needing to or not.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By HereAllDay
@CaLe said:

" If there is no free will then is it right to punish murderers? "

If there is no free will and their predecided path is to kill people then they are a menace to society and should be punished.
MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@sharma55 said:
" @CaLe said:
If there is no free will and their predecided path is to kill people then they are a menace to society and have to be punished. "
But it wouldn't be their fault. Nothing would be anyone's fault. In a purely deterministic world there couldn't be any fault whatsoever since no one has any choice in anything they do. Things like responsibility and love and goodness would just be chemical reactions in the brain; it would be just as natural for the murderer to murder as it would be for a lover to love or a tree to fall down when cut. </Devil's Advocate>
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By WickedFather

Do we have Free Willy?

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By HereAllDay
@MarcusOfLycia said:
" @sharma55 said:
" @CaLe said:
If there is no free will and their predecided path is to kill people then they are a menace to society and have to be punished. "
But it wouldn't be their fault. Nothing would be anyone's fault. In a purely deterministic world there couldn't be any fault whatsoever since no one has any choice in anything they do. Things like responsibility and love and goodness would just be chemical reactions in the brain; it would be just as natural for the murderer to murder as it would be for a lover to love or a tree to fall down when cut. </Devil's Advocate> "
Right, can't disagree with anything there, which pretty much has me leaning to the conclusion that there can't be a purely deterministic world. I'm now starting to consider this whole thing like a flowchart, you have free will for moment to moment decisions but every one of those decisions sends you down a predetermined path to where you have to make another choice. 
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By OppressiveStink

Well, to quote the Protomen "A hero is just a man that knows he's free."

Those words are true, no matter how hammy they are.  Let's say you're walking with your girlfriend at night and a man approaches you.  He pulls out two guns, one, pointed at you, the other, handle first, offering it to you.  He says "There is one bullet, kill yourself, kill that woman, or I'll kill you both."

In that situation, some people would see two choices.  Kill themselves, or their Girlfriend.  Some see three, one where you kill the man.  Some see even more, shooting in the air for attention, allowing themselves to die, merely wounding the man, merely wounding themselves in an attempt to fool the man, simply trying to run away...

Here's where the free will kicks in, when someone gives you several choices and you choose none of the above.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Arbie

As long as I don't have a gun to my head, yeah, I think I got teh free will!

Also, the only cakes I buy are the ones I can eat!

MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@sharma55 said:
" @MarcusOfLycia said:
" @sharma55 said:
" @CaLe said:
But it wouldn't be their fault. Nothing would be anyone's fault. In a purely deterministic world there couldn't be any fault whatsoever since no one has any choice in anything they do. Things like responsibility and love and goodness would just be chemical reactions in the brain; it would be just as natural for the murderer to murder as it would be for a lover to love or a tree to fall down when cut. </Devil's Advocate> "
Right, can't disagree with anything there, which pretty much has me leaning to the conclusion that there can't be a purely deterministic world. I'm now starting to consider this whole thing like a flowchart, you have free will for moment to moment decisions but every one of those decisions sends you down a predetermined path to where you have to make another choice.  "
Right, I think that understanding makes a bit more sense than a more strict approach. My own view is similar I think (I like the flow-chart idea; good imagery). I think I lean towards the idea that we are pre-determined in many things and yet have the ability to choose our own responses, despite the circumstances beyond our control. If one thinks long and hard enough, they'll find a part of themselves beneath the cause-and-effect 'layer' that tends to be what others see; they'll see into the deepest part of their own self, and I think it's there that we really find free will in a tangible way.
HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By HereAllDay
@MarcusOfLycia said:

" @sharma55 said:

Right, can't disagree with anything there, which pretty much has me leaning to the conclusion that there can't be a purely deterministic world. I'm now starting to consider this whole thing like a flowchart, you have free will for moment to moment decisions but every one of those decisions sends you down a predetermined path to where you have to make another choice.  "
Right, I think that understanding makes a bit more sense than a more strict approach. My own view is similar I think (I like the flow-chart idea; good imagery). I think I lean towards the idea that we are pre-determined in many things and yet have the ability to choose our own responses, despite the circumstances beyond our control. If one thinks long and hard enough, they'll find a part of themselves beneath the cause-and-effect 'layer' that tends to be what others see; they'll see into the deepest part of their own self, and I think it's there that we really find free will in a tangible way. "
And now this conversation has me believing more in reincarnation, based on the way you deal with these decisions depends on how you're allowed to give the world another shot  rather than going to heaven or hell.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Pibo47
@SumDeus said:
" No, sir, I believe we don't.  When you think about it, it all really comes down to the chemistry of our bodies. We react in a certain way to every situation because it's what we are programmed to do. Of course there is no foreseeable way to predict what we will do until we do it, so life it still a surprise. Life really is just a one track ride, though. "
See is how i kinda feel about this question. But at the same time, i feel that all these chemicals build us. And we react, decide, consider, and ect based of the chemicals in our bodies and all. I think this question isnt exactly answerable. But its really interesting the speculate about it. :D
Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Pox22
@MarcusOfLycia said:
" @Pox22 said:
" @EternalInfinity0:   Who's arguing that free-will and the idea of case-and-effect are mutually exclusive?  Of course any situation is predicated upon what led up to it, but at each turn a choice was made in reaction to each event or cause.  Each moment is the result of countless decisions made by countless people.  Our decisions might be swayed by our experiences, upbringing, and past events, but they're still decisions. "
I personally believe both exist simultaneously. It first appeared to me as a paradox but it really doesn't anymore. I'm a Christian myself, and find my worldview/religious beliefs coincide well with this co-existence of free will and predestination. I typically only have cause to disagree with those who embrace only one of the two sides exclusively with no acknowledgment of the other. "
Of course.  The answer of free-will vs predestination, under the Christian context, is both.  God knows all things, but does not always exert any will to make it so.  God knows our decisions, but they're still our decisions.  I just stress free-will more than predestination because to do otherwise makes me sound like a Calvinist, which is doctrine I find most hateful.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By Skald

Everything is already in motion to happen a certain way. We are all cogs in a grand machine.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#65  Edited By Jeust

This might sound ridiculous still the following video in the past impacted my view on the subject  

I believe in what @BBQBram said:

" I think we have no idea of the momentum of all accumalative consciousness racing through space-time. We are archetypes unfolding again and again. I do not want to state any truth because then I have fallen to the folly of duality. I believe (intuitively, not rationally) that we act out of free will but that our choices are predetermined anyway. We can phatom both, can we not? To quote Blake: "Everything possible to be believed, is an image of truth". The term pre-determined implies time can be seen as something seperate from experience and well, that's just a nice little Newtonian safety net for your sensibilities. Actually this question can never be answered as this very debate is also subject to the question creating an infinite paradox.   Inb4 some philosophy major starts quoting Aristoteles and deducing stuff.  Edit: I should stay away from these topics because my personal truth is more interesting to me than unsolveable abstractions on direct experience. On that note, you should all take entheogens and try thinking about one or the other as absolution without feeling silly. "

We possibly have free will, but at the same time our path has already been set. Still probably not set in stone, as we have our own inclinations, that we can pursue, or choose a different path. I think the inclinations that we are so tempted to follow and generally do are part of our destiny, but we can put a dent to it assuming other behaviour, and changing it around.

But like he said also, there is no irrevocable answer to provide.  Only a subjective assertion.

@TehFlan said:

" I believe my past experiences make it more probable that I will follow a certain path, but the choice is still mine, similar to how a scientist can know at what energy level an electron is likely to be at, but not know for certain. Basically, people have free will, but certain "paths" are more likely than others, based on past experience and whatnot. I can grow up in an English-speaking country, but also learn to speak French of my own free will, independently of actually needing to or not. "

Exactly. 

@sharma55 said: 

" @MarcusOfLycia said:

" @sharma55 said:

" @CaLe said:

Before the situation that asks us for a decision appears that same option has already been taken. By your own forward momentum, even before the situation occurs, knowing all the variables that would inflow in the decision making process, it wouldn't be impossible to know what you would do. But you can take another road and change path. 

This is all subjective, but that's my view on the subject.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#66  Edited By Video_Game_King

*looks at Best User of 2010 thread* Not really, no.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By RichardLOlson

No we don't have fee will.  If it was true free will, we could do whatever we wanted to do.  Pillage, plunder, rape, kill, and destroy anyone.  But with today's ideals and attitude towards life, we have to be politically correct.  Saying words like "retard" are just upsetting to some people.  Television telling us what we can wear and what we can't wear is getting worse and worse.

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By HereAllDay
@RichardLOlson said:
" No we don't have fee will.  If it was true free will, we could do whatever we wanted to do.  Pillage, plunder, rape, kill, and destroy anyone.  But with today's ideals and attitude towards life, we have to be politically correct.  Saying words like "retard" are just upsetting to some people.  Television telling us what we can wear and what we can't wear is getting worse and worse. "
You can still Pillage,plunder,rape and kill but you'll have to pay the consequences, you do have free will but you are well informed of the fact that you will be thrown in jail/killed depending on what sort of crime you commit.
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By HydraHam
@Axxol said:
" No one knows. "
Personally i believe we make our own choices, god doesn't force people to rape, murder and pillage but then again is god really real?

in short yes i believe we have free will and try not to think about it, because when you do you will open a door that will lead into a hallway of unlimited doors and there is no turning back, yes Accol is correct in that no one knows, much like religion and god you just have to believe you do like you believe in god (if you do)
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HydraHam
@Doctorchimp said:
" @MatPaget: If you've never done anything on a whim.....you sir have more problems than a pre-determined fate.... "
But if your life is pre-determined than there is no whim, that "whim" was pre-determined no? there is no real answer to this question much like to the question is god real because nobody knows, i guess when you die and if god is real and you goto heaven then you will know the answer but as of now we are all on borrowed time so why harp about questions that don't matter? my motto is do what you love (if that's working a shitty paying job instead of a high paying job because you love doing it then do it, you don't take material objects or money with you when you die, or do you?) eat what you want (why limit your self to grass and health foods? you could be hit by car tomorrow so why not enjoy food?

you only live once, life is short and you will die.
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By matpaget
@Styl3s said:

you only live once
or do you?
captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By captain_max707

I don't really think everything is predetermined, but there has to be some sort of... grid is the only way I can put it. There are a lot of little coincidences that happen to me all the time. For example, when I'm biking in the morning and there are few cars on the roads, you would think that at all intersections I would be able to cross freely. But somehow, every time I pull up to one, a car pulls up at the exact same time, which is really annoying. 
Weird stuff man...

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By Cramsy

Yes we do. God isn't real.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By HydraHam
@MatPaget said:

" @Styl3s said:

you only live once

or do you? "
see! hallway of infinite doors

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

@Cramsy said:

" Yes we do. God isn't real. "

He/She/It could be real, nobody knows for fact.

BRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By matpaget
@Styl3s said:
" @MatPaget said:

" @Styl3s said:

you only live once

or do you? "

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

Or do we?
Starklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Starklight

I believe we do have free will.

However, I also believe that it was not through our own choice that we have free will.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By dpedal1

No we don't.  There is a very intriguing section in 13 Things that don't make sense by Michael Brooks on Free Will.  In a nutshell, an experiment was done by Benjamin Linet,  in which he discovered that our brains have comitted to an action up to half a second before we have any sort of concious intention of perfomring the action.  It is really interesting read.  He goes a bit into Alien Hand Syndrome and the readiness potential.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#78  Edited By KillyDarko

Well, you chose not to know any other languages other than English... it wasn't predetermined. I know fluent English and Portuguese, I do pretty well with Spanish, I also know a bit of French and Italian and I'm now trying to learn both German and Japanese. Was that predetermined? I don't think so, no.....

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By HydraHam
@MatPaget said:
" @Styl3s said:
" @MatPaget said:

" @Styl3s said:

you only live once

or do you? "

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER

Or do we? "

No Caption Provided
___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ___pocalypse

Technically, I would say no. We don't have free will. We can't always choose when or how we're going to die, where we're born or how we're raised. We do however, have the freedom to make most of our choices independent of our environment. We can choose whether or not we go to school for this or that, if we're going to go to class or work, whether we kill someone or don't. Society conditions us to behave in a certain way, but no one is required by their willpower to do what society wants.  

Biologically, we're conditioned to react in a certain way in certain circumstances, but it is our choice to do what we to do with those biological responses. Not every dude rapes a woman because he gets a boner, not every woman is going to want babies because she's menstruating. We have free will with our individual actions, but not necessarily over our existence. 

I am not a fan of philosophy. It always feels like talking in circles without getting any kind of tangible or useful answer. I am happier to exist and assume I have free will over my actions and life and not have to worry about whether or not some complicated thing is pulling me along a specific path.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@FlyingRat said:
" You summed up exactly how i think about the matter. No bullshit  Edit: Ignore these dickholes that feel the need to post in every thread they see, even if they have nothing relevant to say. "
Hey I resent that! 

I think the term free-will is a bit loose. We do what we want to do, so that is free will, but our own circumstances create who we are and therefore we are merely reacting to our environment. Rewind time, create the infinite loop, no-matter what happens everything will play out exactly the same. Your thoughts are in your mind, your mind is your brain, your brain is a slab of spaghetti with electrons passing through it with different segments forming and breaking as you go through your life. Your sensors (eyes etc.) influence the electrons and the forming of your brain. The level of nutrition of your body affects the electrons that race through your spaghetti. It is all IMPOSSIBLE. Keep it in your pants. Keep it dry. Don't let them touch you. Yes you have free will.
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By Gerhabio
Son, you're special, you were born to do great things.
Frohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#83  Edited By Frohman

Hmm, it seems that the majority of people here don't understand that Pre-determination isn't a bad thing, and equally don't understand that Free Will isn't a good thing.
Also, I think most people don't understand the concepts of the two.

Hmm...

Frohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Frohman
@sharma55 said:

" @MarcusOfLycia said:

" @sharma55 said:

Right, I think that understanding makes a bit more sense than a more strict approach. My own view is similar I think (I like the flow-chart idea; good imagery). I think I lean towards the idea that we are pre-determined in many things and yet have the ability to choose our own responses, despite the circumstances beyond our control. If one thinks long and hard enough, they'll find a part of themselves beneath the cause-and-effect 'layer' that tends to be what others see; they'll see into the deepest part of their own self, and I think it's there that we really find free will in a tangible way. "
And now this conversation has me believing more in reincarnation, based on the way you deal with these decisions depends on how you're allowed to give the world another shot  rather than going to heaven or hell. "
But your decisions can be easily and accurately predicted. You meet an Elephant. You have many options. However, your life has shaped you to hate Elephants (they ate your entire family and lover). You meet this one while carrying a gun. I think the answer you'd pick may be obvious. The choice you make about everything is predetermined, not in the universe, but in your head. For instance I love Vegemite, but my girlfriend hates it. I won't eat it around her. I am currently not in a situation were I have to make that choice RIGHT NOW, but I know that I would make that choice if it ever arouse.

@afrofools said:

" @FlyingRat said:

" You summed up exactly how i think about the matter. No bullshit  Edit: Ignore these dickholes that feel the need to post in every thread they see, even if they have nothing relevant to say. "
Hey I resent that!  I think the term free-will is a bit loose. We do what we want to do, so that is free will, but our own circumstances create who we are and therefore we are merely reacting to our environment. Rewind time, create the infinite loop, no-matter what happens everything will play out exactly the same. Your thoughts are in your mind, your mind is your brain, your brain is a slab of spaghetti with electrons passing through it with different segments forming and breaking as you go through your life. Your sensors (eyes etc.) influence the electrons and the forming of your brain. The level of nutrition of your body affects the electrons that race through your spaghetti. It is all IMPOSSIBLE. Keep it in your pants. Keep it dry. Don't let them touch you. Yes you have free will. "
That sounds like an argument for pre-determination to me.

@dpedal1 said:
" No we don't.  There is a very intriguing section in 13 Things that don't make sense by Michael Brooks on Free Will.  In a nutshell, an experiment was done by Benjamin Linet,  in which he discovered that our brains have comitted to an action up to half a second before we have any sort of concious intention of perfomring the action.  It is really interesting read.  He goes a bit into Alien Hand Syndrome and the readiness potential. "
Bam! This is what I was talking about, one quote up. Thanks.

@RichardLOlson said:
" No we don't have fee will.  If it was true free will, we could do whatever we wanted to do.  Pillage, plunder, rape, kill, and destroy anyone.  But with today's ideals and attitude towards life, we have to be politically correct.  Saying words like "retard" are just upsetting to some people.  Television telling us what we can wear and what we can't wear is getting worse and worse. "

People still do that. They've grown into that way pf thinking by their backgrounds and environments.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By melcene
@Frohman said:
" Do you believe we have free will or is everything predetermined?  I'm leaning to the latter of the two. Basically, I feel we don't have free will because of all the forces in the universe working together puts us on a single path. We can only make one action and not two. You can't have your cake and eat it so to speak.  The path you take all comes from hereditary and your environment. Aka, I was taught English all my life, my environment places me in an English speaking world. I can and will talk to people. Place me in a French speaking world and I will be unable to communicate.   The past (my hereditary) was being taught English. My environment is the English/French speaking world.  Another example of a predetermined path is something that inevitably happens: The sun will rise tomorrow. I will also get out of bed. I believe I have free will by doing this, but I have only taken that ONE action. If I choose to not get out of bed it is by other predetermined resons, and I have NOT gotten out of bed. That SINGLE action. "
Nope.  Completely disagree with your post, and your reasoning.  Take a look at my blog on "Why I am the Way I Am."  I turned completely against heredity/environment to become a different person.
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By fattony12000

If there's grass on the field, play ball?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87  Edited By Bruce
@Wes899:  

I second this.
iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By iKANNIBAL

There is no predetermined fate. 

Someone being mentaly ill and killing people should not be compared to not having free will. They're doing it because something is wrong with them nothing more nothing less.  Every sane person in this thread has the potential to kill a person, its whether they decide to do it not, that is free will, my teacher told me that in like Elementary.   Instinct should also not be compared to a predetermined fate. 

One thing you cannot do with humans, is put everyone in a box and limit them to certain decisions, a person killed and raped your mother? some people will choose to kill that person while others will forgive. Your logic doesn't work because there are kids who were beaten and abused in childhood and grow up to become very successful and giving citizens. However another child who experiences the same shit, grows up and kills people. Hell some kids have it all and are spoiled to death and still grow up "wrong". How you're raised =/= How you become always. 

The people who experienced horrible shit and come out fine, were the strong ones who chose to forgive & forget, the ones who end up flawed, blaming everyone and or killing people are the weak ones who chose a route of self destruction. Another example of why that logic does not work, Slavery, using your logic slavery should not be abolished in the western countries. Parents were raising their kids to hate people and yet, those few kids still stood up and disagreed with their parents despite being raised to hate.  

Also i don't get the Vegemite analogy, your girlfriend hates it so you don't eat it around her,  that is a choice, it obviously upsets her so you choose not to eat it infront of her. You could easily choose to eat it around her lol.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By dbz1995
@Frohman said:

@CaLe said:

A murderer got out of having the death sentence because of this argument.  

Wow. That is some clever thinking by the murderer. 

There's no good or evil if there isn't free will. Because there is good or evil (or rather, because we created the concept) there is.
Frohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Frohman
@dbz1995 said:
" @Frohman said:

@CaLe said:

A murderer got out of having the death sentence because of this argument.  

Wow. That is some clever thinking by the murderer.   There's no good or evil if there isn't free will. Because there is good or evil (or rather, because we created the concept) there is. "
Good and evil with Free Will are human concepts and creations.
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BaneFireLord

Personally, I don't give a shit. I'm too busy living.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By imsh_pl

I think this really comes down to belief. I understand your argument that it's all chemicals, impulses and physics that could be predicted, but then one might say when you're face with a decision it's not up to your chemicals, but to "you". The "you" could be also called soul, and it's up to everyone of us to decide what we want to believe. Sadly, we propably won't live until the day when your question will be answered.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Hitchenson
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#94  Edited By gla55jAw

Everything is predetermined by the Illuminati.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By napalm

The cake is real to me! 

But honestly, I hope the OP didn't actually expect to have a deep conversation regarding this on a videogame forum. I mean, c'mon.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#96  Edited By melcene
@iKANNIBAL said:
" There is no predetermined fate.  Someone being mentaly ill and killing people should not be compared to not having free will. They're doing it because something is wrong with them nothing more nothing less.  Every sane person in this thread has the potential to kill a person, its whether they decide to do it not, that is free will, my teacher told me that in like Elementary.   Instinct should also not be compared to a predetermined fate.  One thing you cannot do with humans, is put everyone in a box and limit them to certain decisions, a person killed and raped your mother? some people will choose to kill that person while others will forgive. Your logic doesn't work because there are kids who were beaten and abused in childhood and grow up to become very successful and giving citizens. However another child who experiences the same shit, grows up and kills people. Hell some kids have it all and are spoiled to death and still grow up "wrong". How you're raised =/= How you become always.  The people who experienced horrible shit and come out fine, were the strong ones who chose to forgive & forget, the ones who end up flawed, blaming everyone and or killing people are the weak ones who chose a route of self destruction. Another example of why that logic does not work, Slavery, using your logic slavery should not be abolished in the western countries. Parents were raising their kids to hate people and yet, those few kids still stood up and disagreed with their parents despite being raised to hate."
All of this.
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By cnlmullen

Well, I have the illusion of freewill, and that's all that really matters. I don't think it necessarily destroys the concept of culpability (it shouldn't matter if you could have done otherwise or not; what matters is what is done). 

I'm a materialist (in the philosophical sense) so I think it is an illusion.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Pinworm45

Yes we do.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#99  Edited By CastroCasper

I thought this was going to be a T-shirt fundraiser to get Will Smith bail money.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#100  Edited By armaan8014
@Doctorchimp said:
" I read the topic as "do we have free Wi-Fi?"  This is actually even easier to answer... "
best post in thread