Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By FunExplosions
@Suicrat said:
"   @calidan777 said:

" @Suicrat said:

" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" I don't believe in God or Heaven or Hell or anything like that, so yes, I am an athiest. However, athiests seem to often be viewed as anarchists or something, which isn't really true. Just because I don't believe in God, it doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I still have a lot of morals and always try to do the right thing in life. Heck, man. I think I'm generally a better person that most religious people. Not that I'm saying that religious people are below me or anything of that sort, but I think I follow good morals better than a lot of religious folks. Personally, I just don't believe there's some greater controlling force or some magical place that there's no evidence of.  "
I like the story of Jesus, and I like the history of the bible. That's another misconception. I probably read the bible more than some Christians. "
Seriously? How anyone could embrace the ethical conceptions of Christianity without the metaphysical conceptions is beyond me.

So total selflessness is ideal? Even if you don't get any reward? Not even in death?

You like the history of the Bible? You like the fact that the Roman Empire was split in two by a debate as to whether Jesus was actually divine? You like the fact that entire gospels were omitted because they preached a form of religious and sexual freedom that isn't found in the rest of the texts? The fact that the entirety of the Jacobian Bible is a political document is something you 'like'?

What the fuck? "
lol, you like this shit don't you, religious debates I mean. "
I like debating in general. I like conflict in word form. It's far less bloody than conflict in physical form. Not only that, in word-conflict, both parties learn something. For instance, I have a feeling I'm about to learn how and why I over-stated Claude's preferences, and what particular aspects of Christian morality he likes, and why these aspects are perfectly acceptable. "
Hahaha that's fucking awesome. *Clap* *Clap* *Clap*
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52  Edited By calidan777
@Claude said:
" @Suicrat said:

You like the history of the Bible?

What the fuck? "
Like should have been love. I love the history of the bible. But that accounts for my understanding of where the bible came from, how it was manipulated. The history of the bible goes beyond the words for me, but more how the words became what they are. The mystery of searching for the truth. You have to start somewhere. I like our human history. Some authors and their scribes lived a long time ago, to say we can't learn from them is arrogant and naive.   As for Jesus, good story. Shoot me. "
Called.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53  Edited By Suicrat
@Claude said:
" @Suicrat said:

You like the history of the Bible?

What the fuck? "
Like should have been love. I love the history of the bible. But that accounts for my understanding of where the bible came from, how it was manipulated. The history of the bible goes beyond the words for me, but more how the words became what they are. The mystery of searching for the truth. You have to start somewhere. I like our human history. Some authors and their scribes lived a long time ago, to say we can't learn from them is arrogant and naive.   As for Jesus, good story. Shoot me. "
The Bible is not history. The Bible is not a scholarly text. It is a political document. That you love it and know its origins strikes me as odd. It is not a reliable source of information, and it is not an intellectually honest 'search for the truth'. It is an attempt to evade truth and evade honesty. Certainly we can learn from the history surrounding the Bible. But what is there to learn from the Bible itself?

I don't disagree that Jesus' story is a good story. What I disagree with is the notion that the story of Jesus is a morally good story. The post you responded to was an assertion that ethics can be discovered without the help of divinity, and you responded by explaining your enjoyment of Jesus' story from that standpoint. So if you like the story of Jesus without regard for morality, then your response was a non-sequitur.

So I ask again, how could one possibly embrace the ethics of Christianity without a hope of an afterlife?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Suicrat

Agnosticism is indeed a contradiction, spazmaster666 is right about that. Gnosis is knowledge. Sure, those who claim agnosticism are right that no one can honestly claim to have knowledge of something supernatural (like a God, for example) but the logical conclusion of that clause is not "I have no knowledge" -- which is logically what you are saying when you say "I am agnostic" -- the logical conclusion of that clause is actually "There is no God".

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By Claude
@Suicrat said:

So I ask again, how could one possibly embrace the ethics of Christianity without a hope of an afterlife? "
The human mind will be a strange journey when the blood stops flowing for each and every individual. Oh look, I'm in heaven and they have beer. I'm done.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#56  Edited By spazmaster666
@Suicrat said:

" @calidan777: I make no claim to be prescient ;)  But here are the things most people take as morally good from The Passion of the Christ:  -Helping the poor  -Aiding the sick and injured  -Rejecting false values (i.e., the story of the money-changers is essentially a metaphor for people who obtain value through the disparity in notions and facts)   But the problem is, these 3 positive facets are not unique to any religion, and they certainly are not unique to religiosity; and they are ultimately contradicted by the demand for blind faith, and the supremacy of death. (Jesus' noblest act, according to the text of the Bible, was dying.) "

Blind faith isn't faith at all though and it certainly isn't the reason why Christians believed that Christ was God. The reason why the early Christians believed in Christ was because of what he did while he was on earth. The entire foundation of Christianity is based upon historical events, not arbitrary mysticism. If the events that occurred in the New Testament never happened (i.e. if Christ never died on the cross and then resurrected three days later), then Christianity would be no different from paganism or any other type of religion. Talking about morality is great and all but no amount of moral teaching would have made the people of first century Jerusalem believe that Christ was the messiah, let alone God. Yes his moral teachings attracted followers but it's ultimately his actions that convinced his followers that he was not only the messiah but physical incarnation of God himself. 

@Suicrat said: 

The Bible is not history. The Bible is not a scholarly text. It is a political document. That you love it and know its origins strikes me as odd. It is not a reliable source of information, and it is not an intellectually honest 'search for the truth'. It is an attempt to evade truth and evade honesty. Certainly we can learn from the history surrounding the Bible. But what is there to learn from the Bible itself?

In terms of historical accuracy and internal consistency, the New Testament is second to none compared to other historical texts of its time. The New Testament is by far the most accurate retelling of the events of first-century Palestine compared to any other text we have in existence written in the same era. Whether or not you believe in God (and whether or not you believe that Jesus is God), saying that the New Testament is not a reliable historical document is at best an ill-informed opinion and at worst scholastic dishonesty.
James89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By James89

A.  for me

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By calidan777
@Claude said:
" @Suicrat said:

So I ask again, how could one possibly embrace the ethics of Christianity without a hope of an afterlife? "
The human mind will be a strange journey when the blood stops flowing for each and every individual. Oh look, I'm in heaven and they have beer. I'm done. "
I so hope they have beer in heaven.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Suicrat
@Claude said:
" @Suicrat said:

The human mind will be a strange journey when the blood stops flowing for each and every individual. Oh look, I'm in heaven and they have beer. I'm done. "
So your appreciation for Christian metaphysics lies in the realm of psychology? Wouldn't the logical conclusion of that belief demand an adherence to good psychological health during one's life?
yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By yeahno

@Suicrat
Many people are drawn to the acts of Charles Manson, but that doesn't mean they are going to kill anyone.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Black_Raven

I guess I'm a Strong Agnostic, that's only because I can't 100% prove there is no god. It's not a big deal at all to me though, I've never been interested in religion and even when I was a little kid I thought the whole idea of God was a bit stupid.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Suicrat
@spazmaster666 said:
" @Suicrat said:
" @calidan777: I make no claim to be prescient ;)  But here are the things most people take as morally good from The Passion of the Christ:  -Helping the poor  -Aiding the sick and injured  -Rejecting false values (i.e., the story of the money-changers is essentially a metaphor for people who obtain value through the disparity in notions and facts)   But the problem is, these 3 positive facets are not unique to any religion, and they certainly are not unique to religiosity; and they are ultimately contradicted by the demand for blind faith, and the supremacy of death. (Jesus' noblest act, according to the text of the Bible, was dying.) "
Blind faith isn't faith at all though and it certainly isn't the reason why Christians believed that Christ was God. The reason why the early Christians believed in Christ was because of what he did while he was on earth. The entire foundation of Christianity is based upon historical events, not arbitrary mysticism. If the events that occurred in the New Testament never happened (i.e. if Christ never died on the cross and then resurrected three days later), then Christianity would be no different from paganism or any other type of religion. Talking about morality is great and all but no amount of moral teaching would have made the people of first century Jerusalem believe that Christ was the messiah, let alone God. Yes his moral teachings attracted followers but it's ultimately his actions that convinced his followers that he was not only the messiah but physical incarnation of God himself. "
You mean that widespread mistaken belief is scientifically impossible?

This is the fallacy ad populum.

Jesus did not rise from the dead, there is no documentary evidence of that, only anecdotes.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Suicrat
@yeahno said:
" @Suicrat Many people are drawn to the acts of Charles Manson, but that doesn't mean they are going to kill anyone. "
I'm not sure of what that is apropos. Care to provide some context?
yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By yeahno

@Suicrat said:

" @yeahno said:

" @Suicrat Many people are drawn to the acts of Charles Manson, but that doesn't mean they are going to kill anyone. "
I'm not sure of what that is apropos. Care to provide some context? "
 You seemed freaked out that an atheist was really interested in the Bible.  It's really not unusual.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Suicrat
@yeahno said:
"
@Suicrat said:

" @yeahno said:

You seemed freaked out that an atheist was really interested in the Bible.  It's really not unusual. "
His implication was not his interest in the Bible. His post was in response to the axiom of ethics minus divinity, which means that he derives ethics from The Passion of Christ without the metaphysics. Which I inferred that he worships death nakedly, which would be pretty fucked up, were it true. Which Claude has insisted that it is not.

I find the Bible fascinating too (academically and textually), but that was not the implication from his first post.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By spazmaster666
@Suicrat said:
You mean that widespread mistaken belief is scientifically impossible?  This is the fallacy ad populum.  Jesus did not rise from the dead, there is no documentary evidence of that, only anecdotes. "
You're missing the point. I'm simply pointing out that the early Christians believed that Jesus was God not because of blind faith, but because of what they and their predecessors before them had witnessed. Or are you trying to argue that somehow the first Christians were "forced" to belief that Jesus was God despite it being in stark contrast to the Judaism of the period (remember that the first Christians were Jews).
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mourne
@spazmaster666 said:
"Blind faith isn't faith at all though and it certainly isn't the reason why Christians believed that Christ was God."
It's tradition.
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I am Jewish, the one true path.  We are the chosen people. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Suicrat
@spazmaster666: They had no evidentiary reason to embrace the concept of the resurrection (But they might not have embraced the resurrection in the first place). Early Christians embraced Christianity by choice, but many of the Christians of Europe became Christians politically, pagans and heretics were slaughtered and persecuted throughout the first millennium after Christ.

The Bible was not written by early Christians though, so their beliefs are not reflected in it. The Bible was written by the Roman Empire.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By clubsandwich
yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By yeahno
@Suicrat said:
" @yeahno said:
"
@Suicrat said:

" @yeahno said:

You seemed freaked out that an atheist was really interested in the Bible.  It's really not unusual. "
His implication was not his interest in the Bible. His post was in response to the axiom of ethics minus divinity, which means that he derives ethics from The Passion of Christ without the metaphysics. Which I inferred that he worships death nakedly, which would be pretty fucked up, were it true. Which Claude has insisted that it is not.  I find the Bible fascinating too (academically and textually), but that was not the implication from his first post. "
Oh man. Forgive me if I sound like a jackass with an IQ of 3, but my mind just went to mush with that first statement. I read 2 hours of information every night for my ethics class, and I guess I just can't handle this type of conversation right now. >< So....religion amirite?
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By calidan777

Does anyone else see the "peace, the old fashioned way" stickers on folks cars where you live? I see them all the time here (I live close to an airforce base) and they are usually accompanied by the "fish" symbol ( age of Pisces symbol, usually used by Christians to represent Jesus). I always give myself a great big 'ol face palm everytime I see that. I am a Christian myself, but sometimes I have to wonder if other "Christians" have actually read Jesus' teachings.

No Caption Provided

For those that don't know, that is the silhouette of a  B-52 bomber in the center of the circle, implying peace by way of annihilation.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By spazmaster666
@Suicrat said:

" @spazmaster666: They had no evidentiary reason to embrace the concept of the resurrection (But they might not have embraced the resurrection in the first place). Early Christians embraced Christianity by choice, but many of the Christians of Europe became Christians politically, pagans and heretics were slaughtered and persecuted throughout the first millennium after Christ.  The Bible was not written by early Christians though, so their beliefs are not reflected in it. The Bible was written by the Roman Empire. "

The bible was written by Romans? Hmm, are you sure you're talking about the same New Testament that I'm talking about? (though I suppose first-century Jews would probably be considered Romans since their land was a part of the Roman empire ;))

But yeah, those Romans really loved Christianity, especially Nero.

Oh, and BTW if you thought that I was implying that the resurrection was somehow proof of Jesus' claim to divinity then I need to tell you that this is not the case. For the early Christians as well as their first century Jewish brethren, resurrection would have been a sign of messiahship (the conquering of death would be seen as akin to conquering the enemies of Israel in battle, which is the traditional Jewish concept of messiahship), but not necessarily divinity.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I find religious stuff to be really interesting, especially the architecture, but I remain Atheist. I try to distance myself from most religious discussion in general because I feel that it gets heated, and fast.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Suicrat
@calidan777: To be fair to members of the Air Force who believe uncynically what they do is good. Bombing did end the Pacific Theatre of World War 2 (with the help of the Japanese quagmire in China). And many in the U.S. Air Force (and other parts of the NATO military machine) can be forgiven for believing that the Cold War and all the proxy wars could have been avoided by going to Moscow.

But this isn't related to god or godlessness, if we're going to discuss war and peace we should do so in another thread.
Katakalypto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Katakalypto

I'm an Atheist.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Suicrat
@spazmaster666 said:
" @Suicrat said:
" @spazmaster666: They had no evidentiary reason to embrace the concept of the resurrection (But they might not have embraced the resurrection in the first place). Early Christians embraced Christianity by choice, but many of the Christians of Europe became Christians politically, pagans and heretics were slaughtered and persecuted throughout the first millennium after Christ.  The Bible was not written by early Christians though, so their beliefs are not reflected in it. The Bible was written by the Roman Empire. "
The bible was written by Romans? Hmm, are you sure you're talking about the same New Testament that I'm talking about? (though I suppose first-century Jews would probably be considered Romans since their land was a part of the Roman empire ;))  But yeah, those Romans really loved Christianity, especially Nero. "
Christian Jews did not write the New Testament. Christian Christians did. The first Christians had nothing to do with The Bible's New Testament. As I said earlier, many of their works were omitted, and a few were included, on political grounds.

I did not say that the Bible was written by Romans. I said it was written by the Roman Empire. There is a distinct difference. Have you ever heard of Emperor Justinian or The Eastern Roman Empire? They split with the Western Roman Empire (what later became the Vatican) partially on the subject of Jesus' divinity. Orthodox Christians do not believe the same things Catholics and Protestants do.
Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#78  Edited By Bigbombomb

Wow, I didn't know there was so many Atheists on the site. Now that I thought of it I'm more of a Agnostic or a strong Agnostic. I'm not a religious person at all, but I can say I have a religion. 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79  Edited By lordofultima

Apatheist. a.k.a. I don't give a shit either way.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mikeeegeee

Shucks! Where are my deists at?! I've known since reading about the deists that formed this country back in middle school that I was going with that. Look into it, it's the happy medium of both sides.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By vaiz

I love being in the minority. F.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By RsistncE
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Where is my don't care option? "
My question also.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By RsistncE
@TheJollyRajah said:
" I think both A and E are dumb choices. You can't know if there is a god or if there is not a god. That's why I go with C.  But by the modern definition, I'm an atheist. The definition in this poll is wrong, because not all atheists claim there is no god. They just simply have no reason to believe in one. "
That's not how it works. By scientific methodology the one who claims the existence of one thing or another must support their argument with evidence (that is usually demonstrated through experimental procedure). The onus does not fall on the non-believer. As a result, until any evidence surfaces of the existence of a "god", the rational answer is: there is no god.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#84  Edited By Termite

I'd say I don't really care. I think what matters is being a good person, and that since there have been countless good people both religious and non-religious, I have little reason to take a side. 

I, like Claude I suppose, like and adhere to many Christian ethics. I don't adhere to all of them; the parts about homosexuality being evil and such I don't care for and it's things like that which have stopped me from actually becoming Christian. I think that altruism is a positive thing, and that there is virtue in selflessness. I support altruism partly because I see a sort of intrinsic beauty in it, and because I think that is the way a good society is built.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#85  Edited By KamasamaK

D, but I question the naming so I based it on the description. D is what I've seen referred to as de facto atheism and E is strong atheism. Qualifying the degree of agnosticism doesn't really make sense, though I have seen strong agnosticism defined as the position that the existence of a deity is unknowable.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ApertureSilence
@Claude: That depends entirely on how you define the word "spiritual". If your definition has anything to do with the supernatural, then no.
Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Gregomasta

You missed one, The Trinity(God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit).

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#88  Edited By vaiz
@Gregomasta said:
" You missed one, The Trinity(God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit). "
That's monotheistic. Judeochristian.
Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Gregomasta
@punkxblaze said:

" @Gregomasta said:

" You missed one, The Trinity(God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit). "

That's monotheistic. Judeochristian. "
Monotheistic has a vague definition, makes it easier for people to interpret it the way they like.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#90  Edited By AgentJ

I don't really think any of those choices apply to me. If anything, I believe in Karma. 

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By masternater27
@spazmaster666: I call bullshit on that.  While, you're technically right, it's totally valid for somebody to claim they haven't decided if there is a God or not.  The question is, do you believe in a God?  "I haven't worked that out yet,", "I used to, but now am not sure,", or "I don't really care either way," are all very valid answers that people may have.  Calling somebody's reality invalid based on a definition of a word that's chosen to collect a broad range of experiences is ridiculous.  Of course somebody can not know what they believe.  I can not know if I believe in Santa Claus.  I can have evidence towards his existence and evidence opposed to it, and both sides can be equally speaking to me.  If the evidence you have gathered is contradictory to you towards the existence of Santa/God, why wouldn't you describe that as not knowing if you believe, at least until you find further information to tip the scales?  So yes, you're right in that technically the term agnostic doesn't cover these people in the middle, but there are still people in the middle, whether there's a word for them or not.
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By mattbosten

I'm an atheist.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#93  Edited By Bouke

A for me
Octavian1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Octavian1987

I think there might be a greater power, because shit it just WAY to complicated to just have happened. But...there is no way to absolutely prove anything...so I'm agnostic. 

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Druminator

agnostic. it's a endless debate. people argue over something that they think is real but cannot be proven right before my eyes.

rock and roll is my religion.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By BiancaDK

epicureanist agnostic with a streak of "neo"-creationist* 

*plz dont make me xplain myself.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By spazmaster666
@masternater27 said:

" @spazmaster666: I call bullshit on that.  While, you're technically right, it's totally valid for somebody to claim they haven't decided if there is a God or not.  The question is, do you believe in a God?  "I haven't worked that out yet,", "I used to, but now am not sure,", or "I don't really care either way," are all very valid answers that people may have.  Calling somebody's reality invalid based on a definition of a word that's chosen to collect a broad range of experiences is ridiculous.  Of course somebody can not know what they believe.  I can not know if I believe in Santa Claus.  I can have evidence towards his existence and evidence opposed to it, and both sides can be equally speaking to me.  If the evidence you have gathered is contradictory to you towards the existence of Santa/God, why wouldn't you describe that as not knowing if you believe, at least until you find further information to tip the scales?  So yes, you're right in that technically the term agnostic doesn't cover these people in the middle, but there are still people in the middle, whether there's a word for them or not. "

A lack of belief is the same as not believing. Like I've said, you either believe in something or you don't, just as you either know something or you don't. What you are doing is mixing belief with knowledge. When ask someone if they know something and they answer with "I believe in it" or "I don't believe in it" they haven't answered the question that I asked. Basically agnostics are trying to create a neutral position by somehow implying that their lack of belief is different from an atheists. Well, an atheist doesn't know for sure that God exists either because belief and knowledge are two separate concepts. (And neither have a middle ground)

@Sucrait said:

Christian Jews did not write the New Testament. Christian Christians did. The first Christians had nothing to do with The Bible's New Testament. As I said earlier, many of their works were omitted, and a few were included, on political grounds.  I did not say that the Bible was written by Romans. I said it was written by the Roman Empire. There is a distinct difference. Have you ever heard of Emperor Justinian or The Eastern Roman Empire? They split with the Western Roman Empire (what later became the Vatican) partially on the subject of Jesus' divinity. Orthodox Christians do not believe the same things Catholics and Protestants do. "

You're talking about fifth century events, which is hundreds of years after Christianity was established (which actually occurred before Jesus was crucified). The general concensus is that the canonical gospels (Matthew, John, Mark, Luke) were written about 40 years after Jesus' crucification (which was in AD 33) while other books such as the epistles were written a few decades later. While there is a disagreement about whether some books were originally written in Aramaic or Greek, the scholarly consensus is that they were written by people directly associated with the original apostles. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the New Testament was written by the Romans, who only adopted a tolerant policy toward Christianity under Constantine I in AD 313 (In the first century, the Romans would have considered Christianity as nothing but a minor cult).

Also the split between the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Church was not really a matter of doctrine but ecclesiastical authority, perhaps with a sprinkling of egotism (mainly because of what occurred at the Council of Chalcedon).
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By adam_grif

Attention all people in this thread:

The poll is BS. Why?

Agnosticism is a statement about knowledge - you are "gnostic" if you think you "know", and "agnostic" if you do not think you know, think that nobody knows, or think that nobody can know.  Atheism vs Theism is a BELIEF claim. Not a knowledge claim. Ergo, the terms are not mutually exclusive. I am both atheist and agnostic. Likewise, most theists are agnostic also! They believe in God, but they do not have certain knowledge that he exists. This is "Agnostic theism". 

Atheism IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CERTAINLY DOES NOT EXIST. Atheism is "not believing in God". Believing that God certainly does not exist is merely one form of Atheism, and most atheists do not believe this. Atheism is "Not theism". That is all.  Newborn babies are all Atheists, because they do not believe in God. They have never heard of god, so they can't believe in him. This absence of belief is Atheism. 

Agnosticism is not "a third option" between theism and atheism. Consider the following proposition:

(A) OR (not A)

Regardless of what "A" means, this statement is true about everything. So, whereby something has an unambiguous definition (Belief in God), and another term is defined as "The absence of this thing", then all things must be one or the other. The relationship between Theism and Atheism is such a thing. Ergo, it is impossible to be "Neither theistic nor atheistic". All people who identify themselves as Agnostic must also be Theists OR Atheists. Many people who say "Well I don't know" are "weak agnostic atheists" (whereby "weak" is referring to the absence of belief rather than the presence of a belief to the contrary), as they do not actively believe in a God. If you are not a Theist, then you are an Atheist.

Thank you for reading, please try to stem the tide of ignorance about these definitions.
BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#99  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

I was an ignostic when I was a kid, which later turned into G. (ignostic = maybe there is a god, maybe not, I don't give a fuck)

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#100  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm just going to say Athiest. As much as I find religions interesting I can't say I believe in them.