Do you drink the leftover milk from your cereal?

• 174 results
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Poll Do you drink the leftover milk from your cereal? (1187 votes)

I drink the leftover milk 78%
Once the cereal is done I pour the milk away 14%
I don't ever eat cereal and/or just want to see the answers 8%

In what must be, lord willing, clearly just Dan playing the "heel" to rile people up on the internet, he has tweeted a video showing him pouring leftover milk from cereal down the drain and stating that as the "..proper use of cereal milk."

Now naturally some people got kinda upset, if not only because it's kinda wasteful but because it's clearly insane. Almost as insane as thinking that Sunday is the first day of the week, or that figs have whole wasps in them, or a number of other Dan-isms we've come to love and hate in equal measure.

But I pose the question to you Giant Bomb members!

Do you drink your leftover milk? Or is it as someone suggested, simply "gravy for your cereal" that you get rid of when the cereal is done?

Tweet in question:

• 
big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Yes I do. You're a shitty wasteful person if you dump out food on a regular basis.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Of course I drink that sugary goodness!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Yes. The only exception is with chocolate cereal, the milk is not to my liking. Although I basically never eat chocolate cereal anymore, so my real answer is I always drink the leftover milk.

gueeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For one, cereal is poison with all the garbage they put in there.

But if you must eat cereal, drink that milk

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I need a 'sometimes', 'rarely' or 'most, but not the dregs' option

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh Dan...

I drink the milk. Why wouldn't I? It's regular milk but better.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amount of milk varies depending on the cereal, but if there is some left at the end I'll always consume it.

Lots of milk: Honeycomb, Honey Nut Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Not a lot: Corn Flakes, Vector

I guess those are the cereals I've eaten in the last decade.

> "gravy for your cereal" that you get rid of when the cereal is done

I don't understand. Whenever I eat something with gravy...I'm not leaving any gravy behind. Pretty sure that would be objectively wrong, there's even a saying about being on the gravy train...

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By monetarydread

When I was five and still ate cereal, I would drink the milk. Since I became an adult and learned the benefits of eating properly, I avoid cereal like the plague. It's either full of empty carbs, sugars, high in calories, or just plain disgusting. Then again, I am on a strict enough of a nutrition plan that I can no longer have any dairy because it turns out that, when you are pushing forty, an extra 250 empty calories a day adds up and makes you fat.

I think that the most amazing thing about this thread is the number of people who still eat cereal. Health wise you might as well be drinking soda and eating cake for breakfast.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I think that depends on the cereal. Children oriented sugarycereals are in fact all sweet calories. Regular cereal for adults with like nuts and pieces of granola that aren't sweetened are fine. Sure you'd be better off eating some fruit but sometimes you want something to munch on. Anyway what I'm saying is that there are a tonif cereal out there that you can't just lump everything under the "sugar for kids" category.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love milk, but I'm with Dan in that I can't stand the taste of the leftover milk from cereal. Which is why when I eat cereal (which is extremely rare these days anyway) I am pretty careful with how much milk I use.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont eat cereal anymore or drink milk, but the only time i drank milk was when i ate cereal.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough luck if you "can't stand the taste" or think it's "gross" (fuck me), you don't throw away food. At least, that's how it went where I grew up It's that or serve it dry with no milk.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#113  Edited By imsh_pl

Since I've developed what I'm proud to say is my superpower - the ability to eat a meal consisting of nothing but oatmeal and warm milk - I don't eat cereal. The oatmeal just absorbs everything.

When I did eat cereal I would cover a bowlful (that a word?) with milk so there usually wasn't that much left. If there was I would just add a couple of spoonfuls of cereal until only a couple of sips remained.

I switched from eating cereal to oatmeal because cereal is to oatmeal what a BigMac is to a burger.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

I usually throw away the left over milk due to it's fat content. On a weekend though, I'll give it to myself as a treat.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

How much saliva do you think is in that leftover milk? Gross.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Hell no, that sounds fucking gross!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@humanity said:

@zevvion: Crepes and pancakes are very different if thats what you're talking about. Also pancakes are a weekend treat and not something you make every day because who has time to fry pancakes before work - maybe in movies.

No, that's the thing. You think a pancake any thinner than an American pancake is a crepe. It's not. Americans lack even more nuance than I have prejudice towards Americans regarding pancakes. That's a blissful paradox too, which means it must be accurate.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no! Drink the left over milk from the bowl? No! Pour the milk away you fucking degenerate!

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I pour a bit more cereal in my bowl to finish off the remaining milk.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Humanity

@zevvion: I don't really know what you're talking about here to be honest. There are obviously many different types of pancakes, but when you use the term "pancake" I assume you are talking about the American variety as opposed to a French crepe or European latka for example. American styled pancakes are typically fluffy - that is the hallmark of a good US styled pancake. Sure you can have flat pancakes, but in the American culture most people strive to make theirs fluffy (I'm sure right after I say this about 100 people will come out to say they love flat pancakes because thats the curse of the internet) so it's more of a preference than, as you somewhat weirdly suggest, cultural ignorance. I'm also not quite sure why people from outside of the US seem to harbor this weird chip on their shoulder where they need to call Americans ignorant, fat and stupid at every possible opportunity over the simplest of cultural differences, as if the same ignorance and stupidity magically doesn't exist in their own countries. You're an intelligent guy so c'mon man, don't stoop down to this sort of bottom level internet rhetoric.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't. I like the cereal + milk combo, but I'm not fond of milk by itself. Also, the milk isn't as cold by the time I'm done eating, and the cereal detritus just makes it seem even more unappealing. But as others have said, I'm careful with how I portion out my milk so I don't have much left over.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get not liking cereal milk (different people have different tastes and mouthfeel preferences) but, damn it, Dan, use less milk in the bowl or add more cereal. The very poor fresh out of college version of me can't help but feel a little sadness watching food go to waste. :(

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I add more cereal until there is no more milk. I like to keep the cereal more crunchy than soggy. I also don't like to waste milk so I don't use that much.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I add more cereal until there is no more milk. I like to keep the cereal more crunchy than soggy. I also don't like to waste milk so I don't use that much.

You're like me. No point in filling up a whole bowl of milk.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is my deal: if the cereal is good, then I want to eat as much cereal as possible, and so I do. If I eat cereal until I am full, then I have no room for milk. Therefore, I do not drink it. If the cereal is not good (for whatever reason) then I don't want to drink milk that is filled with it, and so I do not drink it. The only time I will ever drink milk is if I do not have enough cereal to fill up on, and the only situation that I will start eating cereal without having enough is if I dump out the box on the floor halfway through or something similarly disastrous.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time, regardless of cereal.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You people are all savages. I can't believe the company I keep.

shaitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pour that nasty shit right down the drain. Milk is there for the texture while eating the cereal and is useless once you finish munching on the crunch.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back when I ate cereal on the regular it was always out of a cup specifically so I could more easily drink the milk afterward.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The milk afterwards is probably like, my favorite part of eating cereal...

This! And sometimes, depending on the mix of your cereal(s) and/or contents, you can find some truly delicious combinations. It's like super hobby-grade chemistry.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two things:

1. I portion out my milk so I don't get a lot of leftover milk. 24 years of eating oatmeal has taught me that skill.

2. I saw some guy on Dan's twitter compare leftover milk to leftover gravy, and how you wouldn't eat the leftover gravy. To this I say; what the fuck dude? When I got that leftover gravy, I make sure to scoop it up with the last couple pieces of food left on the plate. An example; if I'm eating a steak with bearnasie sauce, then I'm going to use the last pieces of steak to get all of that tasty bearnaise sauce on the there. I dare to wager my plate could almost pass for clean no matter how much gravy you put on that bastard.

In conclusion: Imma big boii and imma eat my food.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Milk is bad and has always been bad. Dry cereal for life!

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

Milk is bad and has always been bad. Dry cereal for life!

This is actually true. There is a reason 90% of the world is lactose intolerant to varying degrees. Grown up humans aren't actually supposed to eat/drink the baby feed cows produce for their offspring. Shocking, I know. It actually is one of the main reasons for stuff like large stomachs and the much dreaded man boobs. It also has a adverse effect on the health of your bones if you consume it when fully grown, as witnessed by the fact that scandinavian women are the most prone to ostio porosis in the whole world.

Still, I drink milk, cause it tastes good. But everyone should probably try to drink less of it.

dunc2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta be honest.....I NEVER take milk with my cereal. Regardless of the kind of cereal that shits getting eaten dry.

Can't stand soggy cereal! Milk is fine on its own though.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@humanity: I think you're taking my posts a bit too seriously. Or maybe I hid my facetious tone a little too well in them. But social protocol on the internet dictates that I have to blame you, so it's your fault.

If you want a more serious response, American pancakes are the only ones I've had that are thick. I can't speak for everywhere, but in the majority of places in the world, pancakes are flatter. Crepes are as thin as possible, which is why I jokingly mentioned a lack of nuance. It's not either thick or as thin as possible, there is stuff in between which is the 'standard' stuff for lack of a better word. Since pancakes have been around since like the 1400's and the only thick ones are the American ones, really, it is OK to refer to non-American pancakes as 'regular pancakes' I feel like. However, you can make the argument that this is an American website with mostly American people so the American pancake is in that sense the 'regular' one. Neither of us would be categorically wrong, but again, I wasn't being serious.

As for the American bashing, I meant that light heartedly (that's not a word?). As someone who is in the midst of it I do understand it, it mostly originates from the self-perception of America compared to its actual status. America is known for thinking it's the greatest country on the planet, which some conceive is an arrogant stance to take when you have so many issues, problems and lack progression in some area's compared to other western countries. When people say Americans are stupid, they don't think they're actually stupid, they just think they're stupid compared to proclaiming they are the greatest. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure those people also do not mean it too seriously, like they are not actively anti-American. It's just more of a 'Ha! Those Americans' type of thing. I'll add just to be clear though, I'm not bashing anything American, I was just using the custom in a facetious way.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Pilgore

@humanity said:

@zevvion: I don't really know what you're talking about here to be honest. There are obviously many different types of pancakes, but when you use the term "pancake" I assume you are talking about the American variety as opposed to a French crepe or European latka for example. American styled pancakes are typically fluffy - that is the hallmark of a good US styled pancake. Sure you can have flat pancakes, but in the American culture most people strive to make theirs fluffy (I'm sure right after I say this about 100 people will come out to say they love flat pancakes because thats the curse of the internet) so it's more of a preference than, as you somewhat weirdly suggest, cultural ignorance. I'm also not quite sure why people from outside of the US seem to harbor this weird chip on their shoulder where they need to call Americans ignorant, fat and stupid at every possible opportunity over the simplest of cultural differences, as if the same ignorance and stupidity magically doesn't exist in their own countries. You're an intelligent guy so c'mon man, don't stoop down to this sort of bottom level internet rhetoric.

Nope, they're called pancakes here as as well (Netherlands) and they're waaaaay thinner. The "american pancake" is a *type* of pancake, that doesn't mean it's only thing that's called a "pancake." I've never heard about "French crepe" or "European latka" before until now. They're called pancakes here, deal with it. A French crepe is an entirely different mixture btw, it's not the same as pancakes.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Quarters

It's just milk. I like milk. Unsurprisingly, I drink the cereal milk. It's breakfast and a drink all in one.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is the "I don't put milk in my cereal because it is disgusting and it ruins the perfectly good taste of dry cereal" option?

Yeah really this poll is rigged. Probably haven't had milk on cereal since i was 5 or 6 I bet. It's nasty. I don't want to feel rushed out of enjoying my food.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I eat cereal without milk

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like drinking milk and I prefer cereal without it. The only cereal I HAVE to eat with milk is frosted mini-wheats and the few times that I do I put just enough so that there's little to no milk left to pour out when I'm finished. Of course I usually stock two-pa (2%) milk in my fridge at home so for all I know stepping back up to whole milk would make it worth drinking again, in a disgustingly fattening kind of way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All ya'll "sink pourers" are insane

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I personally find it disgusting to drink the left over milk but that's just me i guess.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If so many people love drinking the leftover milk, why has every effort to capitalize on that by selling bottles of cereal-flavored milk failed so badly?

Cow-Wow couldn't get any start-up capital and the batches they made for Shark Tank are the only ones around; General Mills signed a production deal in 2006 with Bravo! Foods but never actually made anything; and Kelloggs did used to sell produce and sell milk flavored like their cereal but seems to have erased any evidence of its existence from the Internet.

I think ya'll are just outliers.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had cereal in years but when I did I would drink the milk, because it was milk. Sometimes sugary, or chocolate, or just regular milk, but still good.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had cereal this morning, and I drank the milk afterwards.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#146  Edited By jakob187

@danryckert is a goddamn heathen and is now dead to me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Gotta admit it's conditional for me.

If it's a super sugary cereal, I'll probably slurp it down if there is anything left. But if I'm having having healthier stuff, lot of times I won't because the texture of the floating cereal bits may be kinda annoying.

What I usually try to do is not use as much Milk so that it's basically gone by the time I'm done anyway.

TBh I don't eat cereal much anymore. I'd prefer to have a breakfast sandwich and some fruit of some sort.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Dan I throw it away, but my reasoning is that I don't like how the milk is sweetened by the cereal. But lets say its milk poured onto a sugarless cereal such as corn flakes then I have no problems drinking it.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well, considering I am not a fucking godless heathen, I'd say yes. Yes I do.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

Always. The thought of anything else has never really crossed my mind.