Do you enjoy or hate the job that your currently working at?

• 104 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you enjoy or hate the job that your currently working at? (336 votes)

I enjoy my job. 28%
I hate my job. 16%
I have mixed feelings about my job. 41%
I don't have a job. 16%

I'm curious to see how some people feel about their job. As for me I enjoy my job though that could change, but at the moment I don't really have problems with it. Every now and then it can be abit annoying dealing with costumers, but I'm sure eventually I'll get use to it.

• 
artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By artelinarose

@gnatsol said:

@artelinarose said:

Ehhhhhhhhhh.

My job is REALLY easy. I pretty much just get paid to browse the internet. Some days I enjoy that, other days I wish I was being challenged. I mostly just wish I was making more money...

What job is that? :O

I work at a local tabletop gaming/comic book store. Really, REALLY easy work. I don't do anything until somebody comes to the register to check out, the rest of the time is spent playing on my Vita or farting around on the eight year old laptop. It pays like shit and I barely get any hours.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By jadegl

I will say it right now, I love my job. Love it. Yeah, there are moments of stress, but I am good at it and people appreciate the job I do, so it makes me feel good every day.

I work at a courthouse as a associate clerk. I am in a mid supervisor position, so I have some responsibility, but not so much that I feel overworked. I specifically work with the criminal caseload, everything from traffic tickets all the way up to felonies. I started 7 years ago and I can’t see myself leaving it at the moment. I could probably get a better paying job at a law firm, but I am loving where I am right now, so I will stay put.

The only big downside is pay. For what I do, I get paid a kind of crappy amount hourly. My husband pretty much always will make more than me working in IT, but I am used to that by now. The upside is job security, health/vision/dental insurance that I have to pay very little to keep, and a good retirement plan. I also have set hours that never change, 8-4 pm, and I get a lot of holidays off, even Columbus Day and the day after Thanksgiving.

But I think the best part of my job is when someone asks me whether I am kind of like Mac on Night Court, I can say “Yeah, I kind of am” and not be joking about it. I also tend to have good stories to tell, mostly about times when the judge has had to deal with something funny or crazy. For instance, a gentleman wouldn’t sit down during arraignments. Our judge asked him why he was standing instead of sitting. The guy says very loudly and matter-of-factly “My ass hurts” as the rest of the crowd in the gallery gasps and starts laughing. Judge held him in contempt and ended up having to write a judicial order explaining what had happened. I got to mail copies to the State and the defendant. It was an interesting day. Of course, those moments balance out the shitty moments, like having to issue warrants for things like child abuse or seeing photographs of a stabbing victim during a jury trial, but that’s how it goes. Still, the good outweighs the bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I went back to school. I suspect I will like my new work.

I did not like my last work, but I could listen to whatever I wanted and I could forum on my phone so I spent way too long there.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate not having a job. I'd take any of your shitty jobs at this point.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Justin258

It's a job where I fix student computers at my local college and help out around the IT office. As far as future interviews are concerned, this means that I am constantly using my extraordinary computer skills to fix BSOD's, recover hard drives, restore operating systems, cure cancer, etc, as well as taking the school computers off of my boss's hands and fixing those or carrying heavy equipment around campus so that they can concentrate on bigger issues and projects around campus.

In reality I sit on my ass, run virus scans, and post on Giantbomb. Usually. Occasionally I find myself doing the above.

EDIT: And for the record, I am ready to move on from here to something more productive. But right now I work when I'm not in class which means that I'm making more than I would at a fast-paced restaurant or pounding the floors at a retail store. I've worked in a restaurant, a Subway. This is way, way, way better.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Friday will mark 9 years at my current job. I essentially started right out of college, as a temp while waiting for something else to line up. When that fell through, I needed health insurance and was pretty good at what I was doing here. I've gone from being a file clerk to a manager, with teams ranging from 1 to 7 people, and been through two major software implementations and a huge merger. On one, I learned the ropes and on the most recent one, led a major workstream. I work with some amazing people. Both the best and the worst thing is that I'm constantly challenged. In good times, I'm challenged to find solutions to interesting problems and free to try new, interesting things. In bad times, I'm challenged by fighting scope creep, ridiculous deadlines, and the soul draining pettiness of your standard corporate bureaucracy.

I handle the bad times by reminding myself that I am very well compensated, although some of the major projects I've worked on meant I had no time to myself to enjoy that fact at times. I could keep doing this work for a while, and I would also be willing to give it up to try something new if work I was truly passionate about didn't require different experience. In a perfect world, I'd find a small development studio and project manage/produce the shit out of a game for them. Until then, I'll take the good, I'll take the bad, and there I have the facts of life.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I currently do pro-bono work drinking beer and making dumb posts on Giantbomb.com forums. It's okay I guess.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My job is a bit of a crutch I realize. It's easy for me to do. I like the hours. It pays the bills.

It's probly the worst thing for me since I know it won't be around forever and I know there aren't many more like it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I love my job. Niche technical field that pays $$ in low cost region. Plenty of time and resources to do some r&d every year and a great boss.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jamesyfx

I work in an electronics store. Kinda like Radioshack but without the commission.. or the bonuses. Or any perks really.

I like the fact that I have a job, but it doesn't really challenge me. That's not to say I hate it, most days I have a good time. I just get so bored sometimes.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suffer from the one thing that will completely kill any chance of liking your job; a HORRIBLE boss. This lady has literally screamed at me, shown she knows nothing about my department(that she is the director of), and went out of her way to specifically target my pay(dropping me from salary to hourly). I love what I do and have been doing it for over a decade, but I came to this new location two years ago and have HATED my job since. I am desperately trying to find something new, but with my industry and position quickly dying I am finding my experience means very little in today's job market.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Every day I drive to work I'm tempted to drive my van off the highway at the same sharp turn so I don't have to go to the job. Every day on the way home I'm tempted to drive off the road at that same point so I don't have to go back the next day. I will let you decide what that means.

I do tech support for smart phones. We are way underpaid for what we are expected to know and the stress of the job. But because it's a call center they all run on the business model of put asses in seats, ride them till they quit, and bring in a new batch. Rinse and repeat.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Printer Tech. That means I sit around and watch Giant Bomb videos all day or watch things on Netflix. I do maybe 2 or 3 things a day that actually relate to my job. These 2 or 3 things usually take up an hour of my day, so I have a lot of free time. I enjoy my job :)

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl: that sounds super interesting.

My favourite thing about my job is I work in the health space, so even though I'm not a clinician, I get to interact with people and learn about products and usage and things that is really fascinating.

Plus I work with a tonne of former nurses and midwives, all with very interesting stories.

Having a job that is actually interesting makes a massive difference.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I moved for my job and I've discovered I'm completely burned out on the stuff and want to leave the industry completely :/

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy the job that I currently have, I have been at my current job for six years.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mixed. i dont have a bad job. i work at a chocolate factory. i make a very decent living for a non-college goer. it is enjoyable sometimes. it could be worse. that being said, ill never love it. its a job. something you are literally forced to have if you want to survive in this world. its not my passion and no matter what job you have it will come with unwanted stresses as well.

if i got a job doing what i loved aka my passion, i wonder if those feelings would change if i had to do it everyday as opposed to doing it whenever i can. could the scarcity of the time a person gets to spend on their passions be why its special and you care about it so? i dont know if id want to find out the hard way.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Does it matter?

IF IT DOESN'T MATTER THEN WHY ARE WE HERE AND WHAT ARE WE DOING WITH OUT LIVES?

That being said, I don't have a job. I rather liked the last job I had, I was alone in a truck for 4 - 6 hours a day (unless I chose to not be, but it was usually up to me whether I wanted to interact with other human beings or not on any given work night, sometimes I chose to do so, many times I chose not to) stacking boxes in as tight as can be, sort of akin to real life Tetris. I had podcasts and music. Hell if there was a solid internet connection and a place to plug in a computer or something in the trucks I never woulda quit.

However I imagine I'm going to absolutely hate my next job because I seem to hate pretty much everything in my life at this time. But by the time I get a new job maybe things will be different and I'll be less miserable? One can hope.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I like my job just fine. It's slightly mundane though, given it's in an office setting.The pay's fine and it's not too hard, so I'm not complaining.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I'm a software engineer/systems analyst at one of the global industry leaders in data warehousing and big data analytics. I enjoy my job but some days it's boring. It pays very well and they treat me great so I can't really complain.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's too far and too easy, but can't complain too much.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By UitDeToekomst

the ideal situation is to have a job in the field that you love. i've come to the realization over my 34 years that "the field that i love" is highly variable, which makes living up to my first statement certainly implausible, and probably impossible. Therefore, I have decided to embark upon a career in a steady, easy, unchallenging and decently paying field, which allows me to pursue the above-mentioned highly variable interests on the side. While many would consider this a bit of a cop out - as I must admit i have much more potential to do good and important things than what I actually achieve - I have been quite successful in my endeavor, and am rather pleased with both my employment and my life.

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By NickyDubz

I dont enjoy my job (Systems Analyst at a very inner city school corporation) but it allows me to coach high school wrestling which is my greatest passion so i take the bad with the good

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

if i got a job doing what i loved aka my passion, i wonder if those feelings would change if i had to do it everyday as opposed to doing it whenever i can. could the scarcity of the time a person gets to spend on their passions be why its special and you care about it so? i dont know if id want to find out the hard way.

I'

I've wondered this a lot too. I'm not sure if I'd want to find out.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Imst

I hate my job as of the moment... Im not enjoying every piece of it... its not the line of job with what i have finished in college :(

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By ikilledthedj

I work in a call center, i hate my job.

No one ever calls you with information they expect that you know the size of a box (i work in freight) and then get annoyed with you because they have to work out the dimensions. 99% of the people don't under stand that items have "3" dimensions ether.

i don't know where my manager is....ever

i could go into so much more detail but just know that i would burn this place down if i could

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: you obviously aren't posting enough random photos of yourself in forum threads

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@rick_fingers:

Oh, man... That honestly does sound like it would help.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Imst

What's the fight about guys?

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my job as an editor at a production company, it's so fun and rewarding. Pays well too ;)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hitchenson

The government pays me to be depressed and do OCD routines all the live long day.

I worked in an aerospace factory before though and for amazing pay (£10+ p/h 50/72 hours a week) - that shit was amazing; having that amount of cash at 19 was the best feeling. I worked with some great guys there too, which always helps. Then I worked in a bacon packing factory... that was just the worst thing.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#83  Edited By Levio

I work at McDoanlds, and let's just say I love my job.

No Caption Provided

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Canteu

I like my job a lot.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my job.

I fly around the country getting paid to go to music festivals, work in the middle of Manhattan and meet famous people literally everyday. I feel very lucky. The only downside is I don't get paid a ton but money can't buy happiness and most everyone I know is jealous of my job.I really TRULY believe you should go for what you love to do rather than what will immediately pay the bills, it the end it will pay off.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I despise my job. But I can't seem to get another :(

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I'm a systems engineer and live my job. Always a new problem to solve, I'm also in control of the company telecom systems and gave a different set of puzzles to solve from that as well. I get great pay an benifits in addition to official and unofficial time off. Each day I come in feels like a step in the right direction.

markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indifferent about it, it makes money and thats good enough for now

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a bus driver in the UK. The pay isn't great, but you'll not find anything better in the area for unskilled/unqualified work. The job itself it fine, easy work really. But I despise the company I work for, bunch of wankers.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Ravelle

I work two days a week on a website for a company without pay because I just need the experience to fill the gap on my resume.

In these times you're lucky to have a job at all., let alone a job you enjoy.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Missacre

I fucking love my job. I'm a session musician, and according to the last guy that hired me, I'm in pretty high demand in my area. I get to spend a lot of time around really famous musicians, jamming and recording with them, sometimes even performing with them on stage if they need me to. Of course, that kind of job gets stressful at times, from the 10-16 hour days for weeks straight, having to come up with brilliant music on the spot after hearing a completely original song once, to having to deal with some really sleazy people, it really takes it out of you sometimes.

I wouldn't trade it for anything else, though.The pay WAY more than makes up for it, and the best part, I get ignored by the paparazzi and crazy stalker fans because they only care about the "celebrity," so I usually just walk right past them. It's funny, I never even dreamed of having a job like this. I just hired myself out once because I needed some quick money for school, and apparently the guy liked me so much he recommended me to everyone he knew, and it just snowballed from there. I fucking love it.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By skooks

I don't have a job because I can't work right now, but I've never had a job that didn't make me feel completely empty inside. So that's fun.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By fattony12000

I enjoy my job. (Your vote)

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the job too much, but the person I work with is awful.

SleazyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate my job. (Your vote)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By colourful_hippie
@markies said:

Indifferent about it, it makes money and thats good enough for now

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like it, kind of a lot.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By TyCobb

@tycobb said:

Hate my job. My day is full of support and report writing. I am not a support person or a report writer. Fuck that shit. Luckily my friend Jameson helps me out night and hopefully I can give notice Friday or next week. Thank God, I am skilled enough to where jobs find me and I don't have to hunt.

Notice given! More pay, less work (hello 7.5 hour days!), no support bullshit. Oh, and some how I am magically hourly instead of being exempt. Too good to be true and will probably turn out to be the worst decision I ever made. haha

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I like most aspects of my job. I work closing shift every night, Monday to Friday, and I'm the supervisor. Save one really obnoxious, lazy person, my team is wonderful and I like going to work with them night after night. However, the day shift supervisor is extremely passive-aggressive and ill-mannered, and she constantly leaves notes for the night crew that really bum us out and make us feel as if our work is meaningless. the most we can do is try to shake it off, do our best, and try to have fun.

It pays the bills and I work good hours, but when it comes down to it, there isn't much fulfilling in the long-term. I love hearing customers tell me about how clean our store is and how much they love being served by my team, and the satisfaction of a good close is pretty awesome. However, once I'm home, I'm physically and mentally drained, and there isn't much keeping me going shift-to-shift. I'm hoping that, after I save up enough from this job, I can take a few months off to recharge and live my life a bit before getting back to the grind.

windfishfillet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate my job but can't really justify quitting. I work in a call center which was initially billed as being customer service. What it actually turned out to be is essentially acting as an over-the-phone retail cashier. I spend the entirety of my workday pressing the same buttons on a keyboard in the same sequence while taking down information from customers. In a way, it's kind of like that part in the Stanley Parable where the narrator is describing Stanley's job as soul-rending and awful. Every day I wake up dreading the end of my commute and every night I don't want to go to sleep because I know I'll have to go to this miserable job as soon as I get up. The other people who work there are decent folks, but we never really have any time to interact because we're only ever supposed to be away from our desks for like 5 minutes at a time and all of our lunch breaks are staggered, which means for the most part I only ever talk to my supervisors about the occasional customer support issue that pops up.

The catch, though, is that it pays $12/h and I haven't been able to find anything else that'll accept a recent college grad with no other office experience. When I started out I was searching for stuff pretty much constantly whenever I wasn't at work, but it's gotten to the point where I'm so emotionally drained at the end of the day that the last thing I want to do is sit at a computer and do job search stuff. I was also trying to figure out grad school plans, but I haven't really made any progress in that direction since I started this job (for the same reasons that I haven't found any other work). Basically, I can feel myself getting more and more stuck every day and it's getting harder to motivate myself to get out.