• 59 results
Posted by Slang_N_Bang (178 posts) 3 years, 11 months ago

Poll: Do you have trouble acknowledging problems and criticism of things you like? (181 votes)

Yes 9%
No 59%
If I love something, then it doesn't have problems 7%
I'm mature 35%
I define myself by my hobbies, criticism of those hobbies is a personal attack 4%
I can dig it 28%

For example, I can enjoy an anime, while still being creeped out by the overt sexualization of a very young girl. I don't feel any desire to defend this aspect of the anime or Japanese media in general, I can see with my own two eyes that it's fucked, but I can still enjoy the show. Same thing when xenophobic and ultra conservative values show up in an action movie or a game I love, or some of those "ism" words.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#2 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7827 posts) -

I used to, but time goes on; ya get older; eventually you just like what you like and understand that it's okay for their to be a critical eye on something you love. If people have extreme disdain for a thing I'm into I can put that aside and go on with my life. On the flip side if people adore something I actively dislike, or even to a lesser extent, don't care for I keep it to myself and move on. It's really not worth the mental fatigue to get worked up over that kind of stuff.

#3 Posted by Naoiko (1673 posts) -

Sometimes, but I've learned over time to just let it go. Saying something back to the person won't make the situation any better or change their mind.

#4 Posted by LucidDreams117 (530 posts) -

Absolutely. Even if it's just one game or movie, when other people talk smack about what I hold so dear, like MGS2 for example, it's hard to accept it. I'm not blind or ignorant to its problems but I always get a little mad when someone criticises it. Makes me feel like I'm wrong for liking something.

Anther example? I actually liked the Star Wars prequels. Yeah. I said it. Haha. I know they have their problems but I enjoy them. And I get annoyed when those rabid haters always bring em up when talking about anything Star Wars related.

All that being said, I've learned over time to accept criticism of the things l like and have take it or leave it attitude. Cliché as it may sound, we all have our opinions.

#5 Posted by HH (934 posts) -

it's not opinions i mind, it's waves of opinion, when complaints get parroted by people who clearly haven't arrived at that conclusion on their own, and it annoys me just as much for positives.

#6 Edited by sravankb (544 posts) -

Sure, no problem with differing opinions. That being said, I find it annoying when someone -

1. States his/her opinion as fact.

2. Insults the audience for liking something rather than talking about the product itself.

Either of these two absolutely destroy any chance of having a good discussion and step into D-bag territory. It's what starts most arguments.

#7 Edited by joshwent (2897 posts) -

@slang_n_bang "I define myself by my hobbies, criticism of those hobbies is a personal attack" Isn't that kind of a leading statement?

#8 Posted by Nightriff (7193 posts) -

I'm willing to admit issues with some of my favorite forms of media, I would be stupid not to. Nothing is perfect so why if someone has legitimate arguments about something, why should I be insulted. Now if the problems/criticisms given to me are just plain stupid is where I take issue.You want to criticize Zelda for re-purposing the same style and set up for each game for 20 years now, not really gonna argue; you say that Zeldas don't play well and in general "are garbage," you can get the fuck out as I'll take nothing you say as serious.

#9 Posted by HH (934 posts) -

actually one thing that drives me crazy is when people complain about leading characters being unlikable, it's like they can't leave their everyday judgements at the door. is it a fair representation or not? that's all you're being asked to consider.

Avatar image for thatonedudenick
#10 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (1561 posts) -

I'll be the most critical of things that I enjoy. I don't care about the flaws of things that mean nothing to me. If someone want to discuss what's wrong with Battlefield, I would love to. That's because I've love Battlefield. It's been my go-to shooter for nearly 12 years. Just because I like it doesn't mean that I'm blind to its issues. Someone disliking or criticizing it doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me.

That being said, I'm also not going to go around talking about what I don't like. I don't care about Zelda. I thought Telltale's The Walking Dead was one of the worst games I played in 2012, but I'm not going to walk up to someone that likes TWD and Zelda and be like "Here's what sucks about this thing you care about!". So it always comes across as aggressive when someone that hates something wants to tell everyone how much they hate it. I think a lot of people have spent enough time on the internet to naturally become a bit defensive when they see that stuff. It can feel like an attack rather than a discussion.

Someone disliking something that I enjoy doesn't affect me (or said thing). I do wish people would just simply say that a thing isn't for them, rather than trying to dismiss it as objectively bad. I'll have a discussion about it, but you better be ready to say more than "The reason your thing sucks is because I prefer my thing."

#11 Posted by nasp (652 posts) -

nope.every game that anyone likes has problems.if someone has good points,then even if i disagree i can understand where someones coming from.i think dragon age inquisition is one of the best games ever,but i understand some of the complaints against it.i thought gone home was complete trash,but i understand why others like it.so as long as you back up what you say with logic,then i can at least understand a persons opinion,and may even change mine in the process.

#12 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5984 posts) -

I've never liked anything in a 100% positive way.

Can't understand how anyone does.

Nothing is perfect, everything could be better.

Quality is secondary to experience.

Nothing is objective.

I am hungry.

It is nearly lunch.

#13 Posted by Naoiko (1673 posts) -

@geraltitude: Kudos dude =) Enjoy your lunch when you finally get it.

#14 Posted by redyoshi (1426 posts) -

Not at all, I'm a fan of musou games after all. I just kinda wish that other people wouldn't act like those games existing means that there's no room for their favorite games to be made.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
#15 Edited by deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490 (401 posts) -

@hh: That is what bothers me about something like Final Fantasy X being judge for Tidus. Everyone seems to want the lead character to be just like Cloud, Solid Snake, or any other handful of overused protagonist personalities. A whiney main character who eventually matures and handles his issues like a man? Nothing wrong with that. Some people call it character development. Don't get me wrong, I like characters like Cloud and Snake, but Raiden, Tidus, even Devil May Cry 4's Nero all have a place in gaming and I appreciate the variety.

#16 Posted by chrissedoff (2387 posts) -

I think everyone has this problem. It's really about where you are on a spectrum of just how sensitive you are and how reasonably you are able to deal with opinions which contradict your own.

#17 Posted by teaoverlord (592 posts) -

I'm usually fine about it, but I guess I probably wouldn't realize it if I wasn't.

#18 Posted by hassun (9829 posts) -

I voted:

-No

-I'm mature

-I can dig it.

I can't even think if anything I like that I don't have criticism of myself.

#19 Edited by gatehouse (933 posts) -

Nope, I like stuff that I know is kind of awful and don't mind being told it is. The world would be boring if everyone liked the same things.

#20 Posted by sravankb (544 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@slang_n_bang "I define myself by my hobbies, criticism of those hobbies is a personal attack" Isn't that kind of a leading statement?

Yeah, this kinda stuff is pretty annoying. If you're gonna have a poll, try not make some of the options sound like they're coming from crazy people. Kinda invalidates the point of getting someone's opinion.

#21 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7430 posts) -

The older I get the more I let slide what others think, even if they think it in my face.

The people at GB can dislike a game as much as they want, they can even have very poor reasons (in my mind), but I will never attack them on it or think less of them. People have opinions and even when/if they use hyperbole to say something in a forceful way that's okay. My opinion is what matters, and I can be convinced with a good argument, but I'm wise enough now to discern what is my own wisdom.

#22 Posted by Panelhopper (504 posts) -

I'm always of the opinion that if you love something, you can still accept it has flaws. I love Buffy, I always have. I think it's perfect television, I think the Buffyverse ( that's Buffy & Angel taken together on one, continus timeline) is perfect vampire fiction. Having said that, season 4 of Angel is a damn train wreck.

#23 Edited by davidh219 (904 posts) -

I can handle people hating something I love, as long as they have reasons. When someone dismisses it out of hand with literally no real explanation, or worse if they haven't even seen/played the thing in question, that can definitely annoy me. As you can imagine, Dan's dismissive attitude can raise my hackles even though I know he's just messing around. It's just hard for me to brush off someone being like, "I haven't watched any pixar movies. That's kid stuff. When you grow up you watch adult stuff." GAHHHHH! It's a similar sort of frustration that I feel when someone says just the most blatantly wrong/dumb thing and defends it to the death.

Even if it's something I personally don't like I hate when people do that. I played world of warcraft for all of two weeks before stopping. I found it boring, and it just wasn't for me. I still, however, recognize that it is an amazingly ambitious and important game, so when my girlfriend used to jump on the bandwagon of making fun of it, thinking it was okay because she knew I didn't like it, I would defend it and tell her to shut her freaking mouth cause she has literally never even seen it played, much less played it herself, so how can she criticize it. She used to do the same thing with macs, and neither of us has ever owned one, and again I would defend them and tell her to shut the fuck up. Making fun of games/brands you don't know anything about is one step removed from making fun of people you don't know anything about, and that's not cool. She no longer makes fun of either of those things.

#24 Posted by triplestan (259 posts) -

I can dig it. It's usually the people that like something too much that end up ruining it, in my opinion. When you consider something above criticism you're condemning it to stay creatively stagnant.

#25 Edited by Ben_H (4170 posts) -

I think there is a difference between acknowledging problems and acknowledging criticism. Problems are a bit more grounded in reality whereas criticism can be boiled down to opinion.

I used to have issue acknowledging criticism for things I like but I honestly don't care anymore. What other people think of things I like have no bearing on me so there's no point in worrying about it. Does that mean I ignore problems with things I like? No. It just means I don't put a lot of weight into other people's opinions of them.

This is doubly so for the crazy dogmatic people when it comes to technology. I use a Mac for doing my CS stuff at university and with some people I get an unreasonable amount of flak from them for doing so when the reality is that it's just a computer that happens to work well for me and the style of workflow I have. Same thing when I switched from an Android phone to an iPhone. I literally had a person tell me they thought less of me as a person because I was willing to use an iPhone. I no longer talk to that person because I found them far too negative.

#26 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5984 posts) -

@naoiko said:

@geraltitude: Kudos dude =) Enjoy your lunch when you finally get it.

:D

Thanks!

Just enjoying some morrocan soup now. I really wanted a chicken burger from Mary Browns but my funds are so messed up right now it's soup day and night.

To, uh, stay on topic..

My soup is tasty, but it has some problems. Too much broth, not enough to chew on. More chickpeas would have gone a long way. Great value though, considering the price. And it's healthy!

#27 Edited by WrathOfGod (938 posts) -

No. I have a problem with people who then use those criticisms to imply that I should not like that thing. I recognize that OoT has some mediocre dungeons, but my Zelda joy has never been affected very much by the quality of a dungeon. Yes, Jabu-Jabu is worse than the Forest Temple. Considerably worse. I have barely a smidge less fun playing through it though.

Valid criticism is, and I don't state this lightly, life-changing. I've read so many film reviews in the last 2 years that my current "favorite films" list looks entirely disparate from before I started taking film criticism seriously. I talk about film many times more confidently than I used to, and I give both my opinions and critics' opinions more weight now.

#28 Posted by thatpinguino (2841 posts) -

I've never liked anything in a 100% positive way.

Can't understand how anyone does.

Nothing is perfect, everything could be better.

Quality is secondary to experience.

Nothing is objective.

I am hungry.

It is nearly lunch.

I second all of these sentiments. I tend to be even more critical of the things I like because I want to understand them even deeper than I already do.

I personally dislike when a complaint has no citation or evidence behind it, just so I can better understand where that critique is coming from. I'm used to book discussions and there is nothing more frustrating in an English class than trying to refute an argument that someone is making without citing the text. Luckily the higher you get in English the less that comes up.

I can understand how people can read something in a different way than I do or that someone could see an issue where I don't, but if you refuse to cite something specific then it makes it hard to have a discussion. Even arguments about larger concepts like tone or subtext need to cite things that lead to the tone or subtext that you are perceiving.

#30 Edited by Nardak (947 posts) -

I wouldnt never dream of telling other people that the music that they listen or that the movies that they watch are wrong ones. It doesnt really lessen my enjoyment if other people arent particularly interested in the stuff that I like.

Its fine if people say that they dont like something (a certain genre of games or a certain genre of music etc.) but what I dont understand is when people then declare those genres to be trash and not worthy of anyones attention. This behaviour seems to be common for people of all ages (older generations often tend to find the music of the younger generations distasteful and younger generations often dislike the music of older generations).

These are of course generalizations and tastes vary a lot even between people of the same age.

#31 Posted by mosespippy (4751 posts) -

I can like something and recognize when it has problems. Some examples, I like persona games; I don't think the combat is any good at all. I like Valkyria Chronicles; I realize all the good parts happen after chapter 7. I like GTA games; the shooting has never been good. The melee has been even worse. The cover based ones are particularly chunky.

#32 Posted by LittleWask (115 posts) -

Realistically, it's nearly impossible to not feel some level of defensiveness when something loved and appreciated is referenced in a negative fashion. I find the results of this poll highly unlikely, though I base my opinion solely on anecdotal evidence.

#33 Edited by CaLe (4799 posts) -

I am feeling a pity for that fool who can not see the goodness of a thing.

#34 Posted by conmulligan (1889 posts) -

It's certainly something I've struggled with, but have for the most part gotten over. I think it's natural to get a little defensive when your tastes are challenged, but being able to see other people's perspectives is a part of maturing emotionally.

#35 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (1368 posts) -

Nah, criticism of a thing I love doesn't bother me. I know that everyone can't enjoy everything. What does bother me is when the thing isn't what is "attacked", but the people who like the thing. As a couple of examples: Dan saying Pixar is only for children, thus calling adults who like Pixar children, and Jeff essentially calling fans of Majora's Mask assholes. Both of which are said in jest, but I still get slightly annoyed. Mostly it's hilarious though, but still. Slight annoyance. When people say stuff like that for real, I get really annoyed.
Calling a thing bad is fine, we all have different tastes. Calling someone bad for liking something is not good.

#36 Posted by 456nto (265 posts) -

I don't have a problem with criticism of the things I like. I usually go out of my way to view media from a different perspective and it gives me a deeper understanding of the media in question (even if the perspective is very negative).

The only problem I have is that I feel sorry for people who can't get the same enjoyment out of things as I do. It's kind of a bummer when somebody absolutely detests something that you've had a lot of fun with.

#37 Edited by fisk0 (6826 posts) -

Most of my favorite games, movies and music have kinda glaring technical flaws, but I've never really been all that interested nor impressed by virtuosity if it's technical prowess at the cost of creativity (which sadly, seems to be the case most of the time), so it doesn't bother me. But I have no problems acknowledging that GUNHED - which is probably my all time favorite movie - has some of the worst editing or that most Amiga games are kinda hard to play.

Moderator Online
#38 Posted by Jaalmo (1744 posts) -

If someone is criticising/denouncing my hobby, I do take it personally on some level and I do get a little angry at that person but I wouldn't go down that road of pointless arguing or making threats to try and change that persons view. It's like... well. Fuck that guy.

#39 Edited by Random45 (1805 posts) -

None of the answers really fall into what I feel.

I CAN accept criticism pretty easily, I know a lot of games I enjoy are complete trash to most people, but I like them anyway. If someone points out something reasonably to me, then I can accept it and move on. However, if someone is an asshole to me, then whether they are right or not I'm not going to agree with them. It's like when my friend talks to me about anime, he's such a fucking asshole about it that I never agree with him out of spite, and it's the one subject that really grinds my gears whenever it comes up, just because he tends to generalizes all anime, as if they're all the same thing,.It drives me fucking nuts.

So the moral here is: Be nice about it.

#40 Edited by UlquioKani (1417 posts) -

Don't talk shit about Kanye!

In all seriousness, not anymore. It used to be a problem when I was younger but I've realized that people have wildly different tastes. Even when someone likes the same thing, they like it for a completely different reason. It's annoying when someone talks shit about something they have yet to experience but I do enough of that on my own that I can't really complain too much. I just ignore it.

I do get angry when people are super dismissive about video games though.

#41 Posted by emfromthesea (2262 posts) -

I'm happy to hear criticism regarding something I've enjoyed, but if it's downright hating on something I like from a group that isn't going to take the time to listen to anyone other opinion except the one they agree with, it can be a bit of a bummer.

#42 Edited by extintor (1084 posts) -

It is normal to feel some validation from seeing others react in similar ways to how you do. Confirmation bias is kind of ubiquitous. The degree to which it matters when it comes to video game preference will largely be determined by how introverted/extroverted a person is (i.e. confirmation comes primarily from either internal or external interaction) and to what extent they are sure of their preference in the first place.

#43 Posted by JusticeJanitor (538 posts) -

I don't mind constructive criticism when it's well meaning. But sometimes, it's get hard. I can openly admit that I'm a pretty insecure person and when someone just straight up bashes something I hold dear to my heart, it's hard for me to ignore it. I try to not let it get to me but sometimes it gets real hard.

#44 Posted by PandaBear (1484 posts) -

I really like Majora's Mask. Jeff really hates it. I like Jeff. I disagree with Jeff. Life goes on.

I mean I read reviews to make purchasing decisions, but if I find that I don't agree with someone else's opinion I'm not so insecure that I have to fight them and prove them wrong and myself right. Granted if someone wants to be a hardcore dickhead about something -- either extreme loving a game I don't like or hating a game I think I do like -- I'll just write off their opinion and again move on. Sort of like the over-the-top defence of The Order from people on here that admitted to not playing the game yet - to me their opinion is totally invalid and based solely on press releases and trailers.

#45 Posted by Sinusoidal (3608 posts) -

Nah. People who disagree with my tastes are just wrong. It's OK to be wrong. If they've got any brains, they'll come around eventually.

#46 Edited by Turambar (8251 posts) -

It comes in two categories.

If it is something trivial like video games, then anyone that disagrees with my tastes are crazy, and mine is the only objectively correct way to enjoy things in the world.

If it's something that actually matters, then giving criticism some modicum of consideration is only appropriate.

#47 Posted by Mortuss_Zero (744 posts) -

Look, I like Pro-Wrestling, Dude Where's My Car, Spongebob Squarepants, Resident Evil and Dan Ryckert. I couldn't make it through life without realizing what I like ain't perfect.

#48 Posted by StarFox_Mulder (33 posts) -

I constantly encourage critisism (or is it criticism, I can't remember) because I'm a creative and whether I'm cooking a fabulous chinese meal, or doing a staggering painting or fluting a flute tune out of a flute then I'll constantly ask whether it could be improved. Sometimes really thick people don't like what I've done and when I ask them if I was really exemplary they'll gurgle something pathetic, and I have to ignore that because it's only really worth taking critisims from people that aren't properly stupid. But absolutely yes, I'm constantly demanding crisitisms because reinforcement of excellence means I'm on the right path.

#49 Posted by Rejizzle (1066 posts) -

I put down "I'm Mature" but then of course I did. I guess it irks me slightly, but nothing that gets under my skin, and some of the criticism is informative.

#50 Posted by Crembaw (894 posts) -

Most of what I like is intensely problematic in some way or another. Learning to acknowledge criticisms and address them without reducing their importance is a hard, but worthy struggle that I try to face as much as I can. That said, sometimes I get emotional about it. I take no pride or joy in the act, sometimes I just like things way more than I ought to or is healthy.