Do you like GOTY/Ultimate editions that include the DLC on disc?

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By morkaithewolf

As the topic says, I've recently been working on collecting games of this generation when they release GOTY or Ultimate/Collector's Editions with all (or most) of their DLC on a dedicated disc or on the regular disc. It honestly popped into my head when I was discussing the future of games of this generation and what will happen when their servers are completely shut down (where will the DLC go?), that spawned into the concept of not truly owning DLC as once it's taken down, you cannot redownload it in most cases. I'll purchase DLC for a game I like but when the GOTY/Ultimate/Collector's edition is released, I try to buy it ASAP so I have all that DLC on disc for posterity's sake (and since my connection is crappy downloading stuff takes FOREVER). Case in point: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I have both the regular vanilla version released for the 360 along with the GOTY edition and digital copies of all the DLC. I like to believe my little contribution helps the developer but I'm also sad to hear that one day, those servers will be shut down and the only way to experience some DLC will be from the discs or from people who saved DLC on their HDDs just in case.

So what I'm curious to know, am I alone in this feeling?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By awesomeusername

Yes, because I don't have to waste time downloading the DLC. Batman Arkham City and Fallout 3 already had the DLC on the disc and it made me happy. I hate it when they put all the DLC in ANOTHER pass.

Cianyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cianyx

By the time those servers shut down, the GOTY editions of the games would be dirt cheap anyway

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By morningstar

I never buy a game until all the DLC is out anyway, I want the complete experience(talking singleplayer here). So by the time all of it is out the game cost 20-30 bucks or a GOTY edition is out. Gaming on the cheap, not because I have to, but I want the whole game.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By bio595

it was great with fallout 3 and borderlands for me

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By rpgee

Sure, it's fine if it's actually worthwhile DLC that contributes to make the game better and it's a cheaper or on-par-cost product. Good example: Borderlands, since that DLC was mostly enjoyable. Bad example: Saints Row: The Third, where the DLC was forgettable, and was not worth the season pass.

In the end, though, I'd only ever buy them for games I'd never touched before. If I wanted the DLC at the time, I'd have bought it while I was still madly into it. If I've already played enough of the game to be done with it, there's no point in picking up another copy I probably won't play much. It's part of why I've never picked up any Skyrim DLC, even though I love the hell out of that game.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Draxyle

@Morningstar said:

I never buy a game until all the DLC is out anyway, I want the complete experience(talking singleplayer here). So by the time all of it is out the game cost 20-30 bucks or a GOTY edition is out. Gaming on the cheap, not because I have to, but I want the whole game.

Mostly this for me, especially for a story-centric game. The moment I have to even think about (most) DLC for a game the immersion is broken for me; Dragon Age and Mass Effect being some of the worst offenders. I'm okay with extending a story with DLC, but filling in the gaps of a game with it crosses the line for me. I'll wait until the game is complete before I jump on board.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mackgyver

Yes I do. No need to waste time downloading/licensing DLC I paid for. At least when it's on disc, I own it,

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghostin

If you aren't super pumped and need to get a game day 1, this is the only version people who are educated about games should pay full price for.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1

I love them. Best example for me was Arkham City on PS3. Instead of getting the base game for $59.99 when it came out and having to deal with all those pre-order costumes and dlc bullshit I waited a couple months and bought the GOTY edition for $30. Not only did it come with everything for the game but it even came with Batman: Year One the movie which was great.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

Yeah, its usually quicker to install straight off a disc than it is online I've got my handy dandy Dragon Age Ultimate edition around and I love it.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By captain_clayman

Yeah that's the ideal way to do it if it's a disc-based game in the first place.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Love it.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AiurFlux

I like it, but because of all these Gold/GOTY even though they might not be the game of the year or anywhere near it/Ultimate editions of games I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to justify early adoption of a game when it will come out later down the line for cheaper and in a state of completion. Why should I really pay 60 dollars for a game and an additional 29 dollars at least for a season pass on the DLC? I'm not impatient. If it comes out for 30 bucks later on I'd rather do that and spend the 60 dollars I just saved on another two games. However by that time my interest has probably turned and I quite frankly don't give a fuck about that particular game anymore.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By zyn

@awesomeusername said:

Yes, because I don't have to waste time downloading the DLC. Batman Arkham City and Fallout 3 already had the DLC on the disc and it made me happy. I hate it when they put all the DLC in ANOTHER pass.

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meepasaurus

I just bought the two Xbox GOTY editions of Batman for $35 total, so yes!