sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sombre

Hey gang,

For a while now, I've been aware of this "It's always Sunny in Philedelphia" show. I'm super torn on the show. I watched the first 2 seasons in a binge sitting because I enjoyed it so much. But I can't STAND seeing Danny DeVito on screen. He's so gross.

But I really wanna get back into watching the show. I just re-subbed to Netflix, and it's kinda number one on my list of things to watch.

What do you think lads? Is it worth me getting into? Does it decline as it goes on like I've heard?

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TravisRex

Night man. And the most dangerous game or hunt or whatever. Those are standouts for Danny Deveto stuff

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I thought the first 3 seasons were great but then it started to dip for me in the middle of season 4.
Also I don't remember which season but at one point the dad from 7th Heaven starts showing up and it's super uncomfortable to watch when you know what he did.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrunoTheThird

It's very well done, but it's the only acclaimed comedy I don't laugh at under any circumstances. It depresses me to watch awful people acting like awful people. I've watched the odd episode and enjoyed it as an insightful exploration of assholes' twisted egos, but I end up hating them and myself for watching them if I go for another episode straight after.

I like it in very brief bursts, though. It is good.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xchairmandrekx: Not in a genuine way, as in I'm actually feeling down, but it's such an accurate depiction of people I've met that it's difficult for me to binge watch. It's so unique and almost anti-comedy in its structure, it's brilliant, but it has this bizarre effect on me.

I'm not trying to be that guy; that awful black hole of a comment that sucks the fun outta the thread, ha. I was being half serious, I like the show.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's basically just taking the Seinfeld formula, like these group of friends that are a bunch of selfish fuckups, but taking it to the next level and making them sociopaths instead.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I believe it's moved from Netflix to Hulu.

Anyway, it's probably my favorite comedy show of all time. I don't think it declines that sharply. Even the weaker stuff is better than 95% of other comedy shows and there's always a few gems. "Charlie Work" and "Mac and Dennis move to the Suburbs" both come from later seasons but are two of my absolute favorites of the entire series. It does change as it goes on. They become a little more experimental and sometimes a little more blunt in their messages but I definitely think it's worth watching the whole way through.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easily one of the best comedies ever IMO. It's still funny after all these seasons. I'm not sure how anyone would dislike Devito, but that might kill the show for you and someone has to like raunchy/dark/crude humor. To me, it's in the same vein of comedy as Eastbound & Down and South Park, which isn't for everyone, especially if someone is sensitive to language/themes or very PC.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deathstriker
@boonsong said:

It's basically just taking the Seinfeld formula, like these group of friends that are a bunch of selfish fuckups, but taking it to the next level and making them sociopaths instead.

I'd say yes and no to that. It's sort of Seinfeld meets South Park, but it's very much its own thing. They're all narcissistic, but Dennis is the only one I'd call a sociopath. I wouldn't say Seinfeld invented that format; I Love Lucy, Golden Girls, etc are all "friends getting in weekly adventures/hi-jinks together".

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

One of my favorite shows ever. Still funny to this day.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed it and I wasnt really into a lot of acclaimed comedy shows like Arrested Developement. I didnt think it got worse, just more extreme. But that's kind of to be expected of any series. Except for South Park which seems to be dialing it back.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it.

Friends recommended it to me, I watched the first two seasons and was a bit like...eh? Then when I finally went back to it I loved it from then on.

Frank never stops being gross though.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sombre: It's one of the very few shows on television I watch (though I'm always behind since I wait for it to hit Netflix).

Not every episode is a home run, but at 20 minutes a pop, the risk reward is pretty good.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I could maybe call it my favorite show of all time. Definitely my favorite comedy. Not to say it's flawless all the way through; every season has its gems but there are some pretty rotten episodes, too. That first-person Frank episode was atrocious apart from an opening gag. As the show goes on, you will realize that many of the best episodes are the ones written by the cast. My favorite season is the third. After that, the seasons start getting a few duds per. The last couple seasons have been great, though. It's kind of amazing to see a show like this go on for so long and still maintain a fairly consistent level of quality.

The way this last season ended, with Dennis being written off, I can't say I'm looking forward to a (mostly) Glenn Howerton-less season. I honestly can't imagine this show with one of the gang missing, but Dennis in particular is great because his reactions to things are utterly perfect. However, I AM looking forward to how they rectify the situation in-show. It's bound to be hilarious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: Yeah but Seinfeld was a bit different from those other shows in that it was a bunch of wacky colorful characters, but none of them were good people, and obviously they weren't written to be good people. I mean they end up in jail after all.
Similarly the group of friends in It's Always Sunny are terrible. Sure Dennis might be the only one to more specifically fit the sociopath category, but they are still all just terrible, terrible people. And of course that's what you love about them, how incredibly flawed they are.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a funny enough show but its just hard to remember it exists most of the time.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong said:

@deathstriker: Yeah but Seinfeld was a bit different from those other shows in that it was a bunch of wacky colorful characters, but none of them were good people, and obviously they weren't written to be good people. I mean they end up in jail after all.

Similarly the group of friends in It's Always Sunny are terrible. Sure Dennis might be the only one to more specifically fit the sociopath category, but they are still all just terrible, terrible people. And of course that's what you love about them, how incredibly flawed they are.

In Seinfeld they weren't bad people - not like in Always Sunny or characters such as Eric Cartman, Archie Bunker, etc. Them being such a-holes really started to happen towards the last couple of seasons. They end up in jail because the show got a bad ending. I think Larry David himself realizes it was dumb too, since there have been a few jokes about how bad the Seinfeld ending was on Curb Your Enthusiasm. It was the biggest event in 90's TV and he/they cracked under the pressure. I think the reason why Seinfeld was so popular is because people could relate to the characters, they weren't deliriously happy or optimistic like the characters in Friends, overly-sophisticated like Frasier, and so on. They often didn't like their jobs or most people, which was refreshing.

Matthew9559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Matthew9559

I don’t like it. I love it. Hilarious comedy, I love/hate each character in their own unique way. Works great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: Been a while since I watched Seinfeld so maybe you're right that they didn't start acting shitty until later on. I thought it was a rather fitting end though, because they do some straight up terrible things throughout the show, and it's sort of like everything coming back and biting them in the ass. But you're right that personality wise they are not near the level of terrible of any of the It's Sunny cast. In Seinfeld there are some real, honest and humane moments at least.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not for a long while does it decline, and there’s always one or two episodes a year that justify the whole thing worth happening, once you get passed the first McPoyles episode, you could just skip ahead and watch every Poyle themed episode (like one a year) afterwards. They’re always kinda the peak of the show’s season.

I couldn't disagree more.

On first viewing each new season has been kind of a bummer, but now on repeated viewings, they are as good as any.

Some episodes peak higher, but that is natural. Each and everyone is worth viewing.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its incredible and anyone who tells you different is a cop. Ask them, they have to tell you. Frank never stops being gross and in fact only gets grosser, so if that puts you off then welcome to the force I guess. Pick up your gun and badge from HR and head out there.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best long-running comedies I know. Shows usually lose their momentum after six or seven season, but Sunny was still great last I checked. I am a year or so behind, though. If you don't like Danny Devito... It's gonna be tough going for you. He's probably the best part of the show-- all of the most memorable moments heavily feature him.

I really wanted to insert a gif of my favorite (Frank) moment from the show, but I'm pretty sure it would violate forum rules.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

1. Yes.
  2. Danny DeVito is a legend and a national treasure.
  3. VVV
Loading Video...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#27 gamer_152  Moderator

I feel like I'm the only person in this thread who isn't that amazed by it. It's watchable enough that I'll put it on in the background while I do other things but I'm not even sure where a lot of humour in there is meant to come from. It's kind of funny to watch them squabble among themselves, but I don't watch it because I see many funny moments in it as much as I watch it because it's kind of interesting to see how they get themselves in and out of scrapes.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure I've ever sat down to see a full episode, but all the clips I've seen I've enjoyed. Show seems proper silly.

Not like, amazing or anything, but odd in a really fun way.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TwoLines

I really like it. And Frank/Charlie relationship is the highlight of the series for me. It dips around season... well, depends on who you ask, but definitely around the 7th season. 6th season has very strong episodes, but some not so great ones too. Saying it dips at 5 is insane, a couple of the episodes in that one are the best of the series.

1-4 are excellent. 5-7 are very good, with some mediocre stuff here and there.

With 8, 9, 11 and 12 you do get an outstanding episode or two every season, but most of it is just OK, and some of it is sub-par.

Season 10 however is excellent all the way through (except for one or two episodes).

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall it's a good show, but I have a lot of thoughts about it. I like Danny DeVito on the show but I still sort of prefer the chemistry of the first season, and the less wacky tone. The characters are flanderized as hell now and the plots are super predictable. But every once in a while it's still magic.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It's alright. It seems more fun to reference than to actually watch, but I might just be over the whole sitcom formula.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched the first season but didn't really enjoy it. It's like a tepid version of Workaholics. (although Workaholics came out much later obviously. Workaholics is also more amateurish than Sunny.)

Not absurd enough for what they're seemingly going for. It's like edging on hilarity without ever really climaxing.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mostlysquares: I'd heartily recommend dipping into some later series of it. I also didn't like the first season at all so gave up on it, but then caught some of like, season 8 when my wife was watching it and found it absolutely hilarious.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more of a cold weather person.

No Caption Provided
nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By nickhead

I love the show and am surprised to see a few people saying it declines after only a few seasons - I think the fact it continued to go off the rails with each character's bullshit is amazing. Danny DeVito is supposed to be repulsive and he nails it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only seen bits an pieces here and there but i liked everything i saw, really funny show and i was glad to see devito doing something.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By Humanity

Nope.

I saw a few segments that were funny but generally I find it’s humor, I dunno, too much I guess. Or at least too much in the wrong direction for me.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, it didn't click until season 5. I think you should watch a couple episodes from random latter seasons to see if you like it, then go back

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I was in love with the show for the first 3-4 seasons maybe? I forget how much I watched. I can't say if it declined or not since I never bothered keeping up with it. It's weird, like I remember thoroughly enjoying what I watched, like I didn't hate it or anything, but one day I just stopped and never picked it back up. I was just content with what I had already seen of the show.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched it for a couple episodes up until I realized they were all shouting all the time and then couldn't watch anymore. Nobody ever just speaks in a normal voice... it's all shouting, all the time, for no apparent reason. That just kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it. In recent seasons a couple of my favourites were the Suburbs episode and the one where they try desperately to win an award. Especially the latter with it's meta-commentary on how It's Always Sunny can never win an Emmy despite its quality. They also mock formulaic sitcoms like Big Bang Theory for their brightly lit, unrealistically clean sets and attractive band of multi-ethnic 20-something characters.

Oh man, now that I think more of it I need to rewatch the whole series again so many hilarious moments. The one that's shot like a forensic files episode, Old lady house, anything with the waitress, The musical one where they think they're black. All gold.

The thing about Danny Devito being gross? He actually gradually gets more disgusting as the series progresses. So if that one thing is enough to make you stop watching then maybe it's not the show for you.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just watched the entirety of season 3 today.

How did I live without this show for so long

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By James_ex_machina

I love the show but recall Danny Devito ruining season 2. He took up too much of the screen time from the characters that actually made me laugh. Season 3 was better because they learned to use Devito as less or more of an equal character. Some of the later season have lost their charm but occasionally I still laugh at the absurd moments.

If any like Always Sunny type of shows I definitely recommend Trailer Park Boys.

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was recommended this show so many times from different friends. I started watching it and was instantly hooked. The way they tackle subjects at times is subversive to what you think the subject matter is actually about.

Having said that "The one where Danny Devito has aids"

Loading Video...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Danny DeVito is a fucking legend and a better man than all of us.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I like it for what it is. And that's just Danny DeVito. Ya take it or ya leave it, and you're not wrong either way. I try not to take it too seriously. Is there better comedy out there? Sure. Is this a cheap laugh? Sure but it's a damn good cheap laugh.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danny De Vito being willing to join the show ( because one of his kids was a big fan ) and then playing the most disgusting thing on the show is what makes this thing better then your standard comedy show. It's my favorite series in a long time, just good dumb comedy scenarios.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ozzdog12

Its the greatest comedy on TV since Seinfeld...so yes.

Danny Devito IS Gross and that's what makes him such a delight.

Seasons 3-8 is PEAK