No. Hell no. Fuck no. etc.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It's a pretty big deal, but I am literally dumbfounded with anything beyond basic, basic math. I don't know how you dudes do those pages of calculus homework, but then again I get a lot of the same comments about the way I write papers. It seems like it's one or the other with most people: either you can fuck with words or you can fuck with numbers.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

It seems like it's one or the other with most people: either you can fuck with words or you can fuck with numbers.

I like to think I can fuck words just fine. Maybe that's why I'm not too great with numbers (yet).
supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By supermonkey122

No math sucks some hairy dick

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

It seems like it's one or the other with most people: either you can fuck with words or you can fuck with numbers.

I like to think I can fuck words just fine. Maybe that's why I'm not too great with numbers (yet).

Yeah, my Dad's just like me: he can write really well but can't do any math for shit. It's really incredible how awful we both are with numbers, I truly am fucked when I finally have to fulfill my math requirement as an English major.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By bio595

@Harkat: 5 and 2

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#109  Edited By Contrarian

Maths is awesome, as it is just a language - A PURE, UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE. Once you know a formula it is always the same, nothing changes. I love that about maths.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#111  Edited By Bigheart711

Nope. Nuh-Uh. Fuck No. Not At All. Mmm-Mmm.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By Milkman

God fucking no.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By cookiemonster

Well, I like getting stuff right in maths and I'm taking a degree in it, so I suppose I like it?

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Zella

Depends, if it's straight numbers I love it but I fucking hate graphing and what goes along with it. For example I'm in a math12/Calc class and i find the Calc way easier cause so far the math component has been mostly graphing

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#115  Edited By tourgen

I was indifferent towards mathematics until I found out how useful it is to actually get things done.  Math is fucking awesome.  If you want to build something or design something that does anything useful at all, and actually have it work .. you need math.

I like to build stuff and to do helpful and useful things for others, so I like math.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By ichthy

I like the idea of math more than I like math.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#117  Edited By _Zombie_

I need to learn how to be good at it, but:

I would rather bang my head against a wall until my skull caved in and/or my brain turned to mush.. then do Algebra 2 again.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#118  Edited By Yanngc33

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By YOUNGLINK

no

oasis789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By oasis789

I'm not good at it, I don't enjoy doing it, but I find learning it very rewarding

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#122  Edited By Hizang

I don't NOT like Math..

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By AlexW00d

I like mathematics. Not math though.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#124  Edited By sjschmidt93

It's my favorite subject so I guess so. 

I think it'll be my major.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I made this poll when I was in a weak state of mind because of my performance in Calculus I. I was at the very threshold of failure in that class, but I still somehow managed to pass. Now I'm moving onto Calculus II and... god.

I still hate math.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I've posted here before, but now every time I see this thread title I do a double-take thinking it says "meth" not "math". Fucking Breaking Bad...

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck math. i hate it with a passion. i've always been terrible at it. for the stuff that is beyond pre-algebra, if there's such a thing as math dyslexia, i have a severely bad case of it. i see the numbers and equations. however, all that garble does not compute.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Rudyftw

Do you like meth?

Ctmskater75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Ctmskater75

Long Live Math

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Ben_H
@FluxWaveZ said:

I made this poll when I was in a weak state of mind because of my performance in Calculus I. I was at the very threshold of failure in that class, but I still somehow managed to pass. Now I'm moving onto Calculus II and... god.

I still hate math.

I know someone already posted Khan Academy, but for Calculus, Linear algebra etc. I would check out PatrickJMT if you need help or a better explanation.  His channel is a great resource and he does more example based teaching instead of theory based teaching, which is more what Khan does.  I've noticed For people who don't grasp theory well, example based learning can be a much better way of learning material, and Patrick does that while explaining all the steps in detail (He does do theory, just not as much as Khan).  I used that channel a ton in Calc II and it practically enabled me to pass my honours Linear Algebra class I was bordering on failing last term.

Well, I like math. I quit business school to be a math major,and probably go on to grad school in it as well (My backup plan is to teach it. I already got the prerequisites to get into Education just in case).  I'm taking 3 math classes this term, along with a physics and it seems like it will be a lot of fun, though lots of work.  All of them seem really easy compared to linear algebra so far.  One is just plain old Intermediate Calculus II, the next is a Numerical Analysis class that sounds really cool and like a ton of fun (The prof seems awesome so far, though he's a Linux guy so he stumbles around on the Windows machine in the class a lot. We'll be using a ton of MATLAB, which sounds like a neat program simply because of the breadth of things you can use it for), and lastly a math/stats class on the math behind probability, which I already know a fair amount about and am fairly good at, so it shouldn't be too bad.  I would much rather do this than be just another boring social science focused undergrad, which is what most people I know are doing (Seriously, that philosophy degree will get you nowhere, just because it's easy to get doesn't mean it will do anything.).
Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Juicebox

@Harkat: @Harkat said:

X² + 7X + 10 = 0

Find X.

It's RIGHT there Next to the 7.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By imsh_pl

I do. I'm still in high school though and if I choose to study engineering I might end up liking it a bit less.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By UlquioKani

Yes, there is something satisfying about finding a solution to a question

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@sopranosfan said:

@Harkat said:

X² + 7X + 10 = 0

Find X.

I put them in bold and underlined them for you.

THIS.

Also, I am and always have been great at math. I enjoy it, so, yeah.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Yeah

munnyman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By munnyman5

I haven't been in any math classes for a while; my last one was AP Calculus BC. I really liked mentally picturing solids of rotation, integrations, etc., and the reward for understanding a concept is never higher than it is with understanding a mathematical concept, in my opinion.

I was a wizard at AP Calculus BC (basically all of 1st year university calculus in grade 12), but if you asked me to do like, the first step of the first "limit as x approaches something" problem, I would probably die of shame.

I don't remember ANY of it! For a guy who regularly scored like 95% on tests and stuff, that's unsettling.

Short answer: yes. I respect and love math since I first did calculus, but I don't do calculus anymore.

adz117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By adz117

Whenever I take a maths test I usually enjoy doing it, which I find really weird

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#138  Edited By korolev

I was reasonable at maths at it when I was doing it. It's extremely useful and I have a lot of respect for mathematicians and I still like to learn a little every now and then. However, I have mostly forgotten my mathematics as my job does not require it. I still need to use some basic algebra and a little calculus, but apart from that, I don't need to know anything else. As a result I've forgotten almost all my geometry, I've forgotten anything to do with geometric sequences, much of my trigonometry (although not all of it since it is related to calculus) and almost all the stuff to do with calculating really complex 3D volumes, which I actually could do once upon a time.

I still have my old textbooks and workbooks. Every now and then I start thinking about all the stuff I forgot and feel the need to learn it again. It's honestly not that horrible a subject, it's that most maths teachers are fucking TERRIBLE at their job. There are three types of Mathematics teachers:

1) The reluctant teacher: This is a teacher that can teach maths but doesn't want to and doesn't like the subject. They know how to solve the problems because they read the textbook. They have no intuitive understanding and they don't really know why the formulas are set up the way they are. They present maths has a route step-by-step program of "Do X then Do Y then plug it into formula Z and then whatever you get is the answer". This form of teaching gives the student no insight into maths, and no capability to understand anything else that isn't directly spoon fed to them, and of course it does not equip the student to solve any problem which requires even a little bit of creativity. 80% of all mathematics teachers I've had during High School were this type of teacher.

2) The "It's-so-simple-why-should-I-tell-you" teacher. I had this guy for my Maths C (advanced maths) class. He was a jerk. He was a smart guy - a really smart guy and a professional mathematician. He was also the type who never taught you anything. He was of the opinion that the stuff in the textbook was "trivial" and so he felt that he didn't have to teach the students how to do it because it was "obvious" (to him, a 50 year old professional mathematician who held a Masters in pure maths). Oh he could explain it to you... if he felt inclined to do so. This was almost never. If you were stuck, he'd only give vague, cryptic hints. The test he designed was so hard, that the faculty forced him to allow students to take the textbook in with them, much to his dismay.

3) The genuinely interested, helpful mathematics teacher: You'll almost never find this guy in a High School. Teaching mathematics effectively requires a combination of understanding, a genuine love of teaching and good speaking skills. Such teachers are rare and almost exclusively found in Universities. Oh, I'm not saying all mathematics lecturers and teachers in University are good - my stats lecturer was awful at his job. But I met some who were excellent teachers. I had one high-school teacher who could explain mathematics effectively and clearly: and he was my PHYSICS teacher.

The main reason why people hate maths is because without a really solid understanding of the basics, the rest is incomprehensible. The basics are taught poorly and the advanced maths is taught even more poorly - leading to situations in which kids shun maths. The "make-or-break" period is usually in 7th grade, where mathematics starts to get slightly harder. If the student isn't prepared or confident after the age of 12 or 13, odds are that they'll hate maths for the rest of their life and never fully "get it". I was lucky - I had mathematics drilled into me from a young age by relatives and I was given many books on mathematics that strove to make the field personally interesting. One of the best books that I was given was "Fermat's Last Theorm" which I was given when I was 11 years old. I didn't understand most of the book, but I did learn enough to follow the story and it was fascinating.

If you are bad at maths, take consolation that it was probably due to your crappy teachers. The subject itself isn't accommodating: like with science, those who write the textbooks are so familiar with the basics that they believe it to be self-evident and they never bother to explain them. They're so deep into their field that they assume everyone else understands what they're talking about, when they don't. It's starting to get a little better, but it's still a big problem.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Dany

Love it, it's not complicted, you just have to know what you can see and follow the steps needed. After calc in college, I don't think I'm going to have to take another math class which I'm ok with, that class was pretty difficult.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#140  Edited By damnboyadvance

It's alright. But I'm pretty good at it, so I go to a Math & Science Center.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Harkat said:

X² + 7X + 10 = 0

Find X.

I love math. That's fucking factoring.
X^2 + 7X + 10 = 0
(X + 5)(X + 2) = 0
X =  -5; X = -2
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Kind of a meaningless bump, but calculus II is pretty crazy. Linear approximations, integrals, sigma notations and shit. I can't imagine linear algebra being harder than this, and yet cal 2 is a recommended pre-requisite to that course... It's so frustrating when everyone around me has at least a slight understanding of what the hell the teacher's going on about while I'm just about ready to shoot myself. I was lazy last semester, though, so I'll at least try a bit harder and hopefully pass cal 2 with a higher grade than I did cal 1.

Gringus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Gringus

Just wait till you have to start doing integrals in three dimensional space. And deal with flux. All that great shit. It's been awhile since I've done any calculus so I don't remember it that well.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By CaLe

I do not like it beyond a certain point. It is useful but the way it is taught in schools makes it seem so freaking useless. Maybe if they came up with a better way of teaching it, putting it in a context that seems worthwhile, rather than making you do pointless calculations over and over.. It's probably the most boring subject to study right now, which is too bad because it is important in many ways.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

Math? MATH? I DO MATHS!

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Sayishere

its ok, im not thrilled about it though.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By groin

@FluxWaveZ said:

Kind of a meaningless bump, but calculus II is pretty crazy. Linear approximations, integrals, sigma notations and shit. I can't imagine linear algebra being harder than this, and yet cal 2 is a recommended pre-requisite to that course... It's so frustrating when everyone around me has at least a slight understanding of what the hell the teacher's going on about while I'm just about ready to shoot myself. I was lazy last semester, though, so I'll at least try a bit harder and hopefully pass cal 2 with a higher grade than I did cal 1.

Hopefully you can avoid multi-variable integrals.

No Caption Provided
Gringus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Gringus

@CaLe said:

I do not like it beyond a certain point. It is useful but the way it is taught in schools makes it seem so freaking useless. Maybe if they came up with a better way of teaching it, putting it in a context that seems worthwhile, rather than making you do pointless calculations over and over.. It's probably the most boring subject to study right now, which is too bad because it is important in many ways.

That's exactly what math is. If you want math with context that's science.

chet_rippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By chet_rippo

@FluxWaveZ: I got a D+ in linear algebra last semester. I'm usually pretty great at math (A in Calculus 2) but everything about that class was just awful. So good luck, brono

dbol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By dbol

I love math.