Do you like metal music? (Question of the Day 12-3-10)

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By TheFreeMan

I dig some metal. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and I listen to Kamelot every now and then. That being said, what is considered popular metal currently is stuff I generally dislike. It doesn't help that most of the people I know IRL that are big metal fans are pretentious douchebag hipsters.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By FreakAche

Ugh, I can't stand it. I think when I was in junior high/high school I listened to far too much terrible emo-ish metal, which ruined me for the genre as a whole.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Aeterna

For the past 10 years it's what I listen to almost exclusively.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By damswedon

I like mostly 70' /early 80's metal. when you get to the late 80's I start only liking a song or two in a genre.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By sgjackson

Love it, don't listen to it exclusively, listen to some classic rock and electronic music also. 

The funny thing about saying you like "metal" is there's such a wide variety almost everyone finds different things to latch onto.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By kagato

Yep, love me some Megadeth, Dave Mustaine represents! ^_^

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Ragdrazi

Metal seems to come in two flavors. Cock and ork. Either it's hey baby look and my penis, or it's hey baby look at how many orks I slayed when I was fighting the War of the Ring in Middle Earth. Both these flavors are equally annoying.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I like old metal, stuff like Metallica, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, you know, stuff like that. Not so much new metal, but whatever. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By AhmadMetallic

GIANTBOMB BE HEADBANGING, MOTHERFUCKEEEEEEEEEERS 

HELL YEAH!  

@WickedFather said:

" metal is something you'll grow out of and your tastes with diversify.  It's a good thing. "
im glad you're exploring music genres as you go along but allow me to disagree with that statement.. you should watch Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and see the 30 and 40 year old successful men and women who still wake up to a Slayer record instead of a cup of coffee 
IMO metal is a one of a kind type of music.. you either get it and wallow in it and integrate it in your very own being, or you listen to it's kickass riffs for a summer and move on. the latter is what i call doing it wrong! and it doesnt happen often
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By WickedFather
@CaLe said:
" I don't care much for music in general, but metal is really the worst. Even I can tell that. "
Now now.  The current version of the music they call RnB is the worst, even worse than Country and Western.  Anything that appears on a compilation that uses the words "Urban" or "Flavaz" has CDs that are only useful as clay pigeons or for your dad to hang up on a bit of string in his allotment to frighten crows.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah, Gojira

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Ragdrazi said:
" Metal seems to come in two flavors. Cock and ork. Either it's hey baby look and my penis, or it's hey baby look at how many orks I slayed when I was fighting the War of the Ring in Middle Earth. Both these flavors are equally annoying. "
I think this is what put me off of metal. I like the first two albums by The Sword, but singing about orcs and goblins and shit is just fucking embarrassing to me...
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By NathHaw

Not really.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#64  Edited By csl316

metal music is great.  the more guitar i played the more i listened to it

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By csl316
@User_Hostile said:

" @BulletproofMonk said:

" I do. A lot. 

"
I've seen Deliverance performed live 3 times, every time it was fucking INCREDIBLE :) "
i've seen it twice.  they're unbelievable live, oh man
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Fuck no.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By sgjackson
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" Metal seems to come in two flavors. Cock and ork. Either it's hey baby look and my penis, or it's hey baby look at how many orks I slayed when I was fighting the War of the Ring in Middle Earth. Both these flavors are equally annoying. "
I think this is what put me off of metal. I like the first two albums by The Sword, but singing about orcs and goblins and shit is just fucking embarrassing to me... "
Did you hear Warp Riders?
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgjackson said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
I think this is what put me off of metal. I like the first two albums by The Sword, but singing about orcs and goblins and shit is just fucking embarrassing to me... "
Did you hear Warp Riders? "
Yes. There were tracks that I liked ("Tres Brujas" being one of them) but I couldn't really get into it like I could with their previous two albums. In the album's defense it's been a while since I've listened to it so maybe it's one of those things that grows on you but right now my opinion of it is just kind of "meh".
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By FacelessVixen

My most played song according to last.fm: 

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

73% yes? 

Strange, Giantbomb has always struck me as very anti-metal. 

I guess nothing could ever kill the metal, not even Giantbomb. 

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By sgjackson
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

" @sgjackson said:

" @Everyones_A_Critic said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
Did you hear Warp Riders? "
Yes. There were tracks that I liked ("Tres Brujas" being one of them) but I couldn't really get into it like I could with their previous two albums. In the album's defense it's been a while since I've listened to it so maybe it's one of those things that grows on you but right now my opinion of it is just kind of "meh". "
Yeah it was a stylistic shift from their first two albums. I liked it - felt rockier and less like generic Ozzy worship - but if you were really into the first two I could see disliking it. I liked Age of Winters but felt Gods of the Earth was kinda mediocre.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Asrahn said:
"  Strange, Giantbomb has always struck me as very anti-metal.  "
I get around. A lot.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#74  Edited By bed

yes

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Raymayne said:
" Why am I not surprised in the least by these results. Of course you all do, you beardy pony-tail loners, dressed in black, headphones constantly stuck in grimy ears, no hint of a smile ever creeping across your callous, washed-once-a-fortnight face, living in your own 'world of darkness' yet were you to ever come up against any real danger in life you'd be the first cowering in the corner, I bet whenever you go out you walk with stupidly long strides and an undeserved sense of purpose despite having no real destination, and you sit in at night with fucking Master of Puppets on a loop while arguing with pre-teens on forums about why mouse and keyboard will always be better than controllers. Morons. "
This is the greatest thing.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By JJOR64

Yes, I like most of it.  Not a really big fan of the screaming stuff.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MrKlorox

Yep. I'm human.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#78  Edited By Aetheldod

Hell yeah ....\m/  -_-  \m/   
Heavy , trash , doom , death , black , gothic , folk , viking etc. all genres , my fav is Black Metal tho

@Raymayne Whats your friggin problem dude? Cowards will be coward no matter what music they listen to

@Riddell:

Oh boy its on  , this is chrushin riffin:

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By benpack

I'm not anti-metal. I'm just not pro-metal.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@Raymayne said:
"  and you sit in at night with fucking Master of Puppets on a loop while arguing with pre-teens on forums about why mouse and keyboard will always be better than controllers. "  
FUUUUUCKKKKK YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By chrissedoff

i like crusty shit like mastodon, kylesa, high on fire, baroness and withered, but i dislike death metal, 80s metal and *shudder* "progressive" metal

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#82  Edited By galiant
@RoboRobb
I like a wide variety of music, including metal, though some metal is really bad.
I agree with this statement.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By xMP44x

I do enjoy a lot of metal. Mastodon is one of the metal groups I prefer listening to, but the amount of genres for metal make it difficult to really define metal music as a whole. Mastodon and Kylesa are two of the groups I listen to most from the metal genre, and that is because one of my friends introduced me to them initially. I also enjoy Rammstein's music, if you class it as a form of metal. My musical taste is quite diverse actually - while I write this post I'm listening to 300MPH Torrential Outpour Blues by The White Stripes. That is most definitely not metal.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Scooper

No. It's shit.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MrKlorox
@Raymayne:  Do you straight-up enjoy bigotry? Or is there just something that compels you to be ignorant at all times, even when you're not having fun doing it?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MrKlorox said:
" @Raymayne:  Do you straight-up enjoy bigotry? Or is there just something that compels you to be ignorant at all times, even when you're not having fun doing it? "
I just looked at your picture and it made that response super funny. I thought you guys were meant to be gnarly and grim?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MrKlorox
@HandsomeDead said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @Raymayne:  Do you straight-up enjoy bigotry? Or is there just something that compels you to be ignorant at all times, even when you're not having fun doing it? "
I just looked at your picture and it made that response super funny. I thought you guys were meant to be gnarly and grim? "
False generalizations say hi. I could say the same thing about a dude with "dead" in his name if I was ignorant too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrKlorox said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @MrKlorox said:
I just looked at your picture and it made that response super funny. I thought you guys were meant to be gnarly and grim? "
False generalizations say hi. I could say the same thing about a dude with "dead" in his name if I was ignorant too. "
Never feed the trolls, man. They revel in attention.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By subject2change

Used  to be big into Metal, but lost interest in it. Still will listen to Amon Amarth, Arsis, Pantera and Soilwork from time to time; and some similar things as well.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MrKlorox said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @MrKlorox said:
False generalizations say hi. I could say the same thing about a dude with "dead" in his name if I was ignorant too. "
There's a bit of a difference between a screen name and having a huge ginger beard and taking great offence at a catch all statement.
stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#91  Edited By stonyman65

Doesn't get better than this! 

If there is a new way I'll be the first in line... But it better work this time!
 If there is a new way I'll be the first in line... But it better work this time!
The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By The_Painted

I like a handful of metal bands, but as a genre it just seems incredibly tired and predictable to me, so no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always post this whenever there's a metal thread, simply to show how much "metal" can differ within the genre itself... and to show people that it's not necessarily about painting your face worse than Kiss and screaming randomly. 

Power metal at its finest.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Jack268

What the fuck 

Nope

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By Skald
@Quacktastic said:
" Too much posturing, but once in a while I can deal.  Mostly no. "
I'm the same.
Raidou10k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Raidou10k

I enjoy metal; mostly melodeath, prog, and metalcore. But I also listen to a whole range of other music.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#97  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Hammerfall, OT3P.  "
The guitar shreds through the last piece of sanity in my soul while its bass lines pound along with my barely beating heart, clinging on to dear life while lyrics replace logical thoughts in my head...  "
/followed
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MrKlorox
@HandsomeDead said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @MrKlorox said:
There's a bit of a difference between a screen name and having a huge ginger beard and taking great offence at a catch all statement. "
I don't know where to start. The obvious part about the screen name being the first thing people see (next to the avatar, which YOU used to have a dude dressed in all black with spiky emo hair as), the part about having a beard being related to grimness, the fact that you needed to mention I'm a ginger (which is our word, btw)? Or do I go right into the fact that they were comments INTENDED to offend people?

Why not say something about watermellon and fried chicken in a thread that asks if you have dark skin?

Fuck off, bigot.
Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#99  Edited By Bigheart711
Of course I do!
Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Baal_Sagoth
@BulletproofMonk: 
Good to see Opeth being mentioned this early in the thread. They certainly deserve it. I like a lot of bands that can be described as metal (as well as other genres of music of course), but Opeth are responsible for some of the greatest pieces of music of all time. Period.