Do you like Spam (the canned food product)?

• 71 results
Posted by liquiddragon (3460 posts) 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Do you like Spam (the canned food product)? (303 votes)

Yes 52%
No 20%
I've never had it but have talked shit about it. 22%
Result 6%

Hey, I like Spam, I think it tastes good, but it's one of those things I hear people talk shit about pretty often. I've always been puzzled about this because conversely, I don't think I've ever heard people talk shit about hot dogs and we all kinda know what goes into making those.

So I was just kinda wondering.

#1 Posted by Shiftygism (1022 posts) -

In before Monty Python clips.

I dig spam.

Toss it in the skillet, serve it up with some eggs, good stuff.

Dice it up and mix it in with some frozen veggies for a quick stir fry, yup.

I dig it.

It's like ham....but special.

#2 Posted by Shiftygism (1022 posts) -

I think a more polarizing canned meat product would be Vienna Sausages.

#3 Posted by sfw44 (275 posts) -

Yes i love spam, i think it tastes great. I used to eat it all the time when i was a kid. And as an adult i still enjoy it from time to time.

#4 Posted by FrostyRyan (2923 posts) -

I chose the third option.

It LOOKS really really gross. What does it taste like? What does it feel like? How does it sound?

#5 Posted by Shiftygism (1022 posts) -

I chose the third option.

It LOOKS really really gross. What does it taste like? What does it feel like? How does it sound?

Tastes like fake ham.

Ham-like slab covered in a bit of gelatin goo.

Squishy as it slides out of the can, an orchestra of sizzling pops as it fries.

#6 Posted by sungahymn (1187 posts) -

Yeah, spam is awesome. Whenever I have it, it's usually with egg 'n' rice (a bowl of rice mixed with raw egg, sesame oil, and soy sauce). So kinda a mix of west and east cuisine.

#7 Edited by imhungry (1131 posts) -

I'm into spam but absolutely have to go for the low sodium variants cause I think it's way too salty otherwise. But really it's a great versatile food option and I would go in on some spam musubi pretty much whenever.

#8 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4443 posts) -

It's very nice.

As a kid my mother would cut it into little blocks to throw through the macaroni, and i would always steal a few of them :)

#9 Edited by TheFlamingo352 (363 posts) -

I’ve never tried spam cause of all the shit talking it gets, but you guys are kinda selling me on it. Good with stir-fry rice, huh?

#10 Edited by Anthony (379 posts) -

I grew up on it. We weren't poor either but my parents loved it. Just cook it like crispy bacon.

#11 Edited by Mike (17998 posts) -

I think it's edible but that's about as far as I would go. There are also at least 10 different flavors of Spam, I've seen variants Tabasco and Garlic out there but have never tried them.

Spam isn't something I would buy or go out of my way to eat, but if it was there and I was hungry I'd go for it. Also, Jollibee has these little Spam sandwiches on sweet rolls that are pretty good. The sandwich is a slab of Spam, some mayo, and a roll. It tastes exactly like you expect it would, it's like a somewhat close approximation of a ham sandwich, but saltier.

#12 Posted by ZolRoyce (1589 posts) -

Back when I used to eat meat, I thought spam was pretty good, the only thing that ever annoyed me was once and a while I'd take a bite and there would be some sort of minuscule but noticeable hard... thing, I don't know what. Just a noticeable tiny bit of grit. That always bugged me. Besides that, liked it.

#13 Posted by BatmanBatman (563 posts) -

Yes. My girlfriend hates it.

#14 Posted by Sergio (3625 posts) -

I like it. They have these Spam singles that I thought were discontinued, but a coworker found one Walmart that still carries them. Now I stock up on the Lite ones.

#15 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2086 posts) -

I can take or leave it. My fiance loves it though.

#16 Edited by Shiftygism (1022 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

once and a while I'd take a bite and there would be some sort of minuscule but noticeable hard... thing, I don't know what. Just a noticeable tiny bit of grit.

Most likely a stray bit of bone.

I hate that shit too, I come across them once in awhile in processed meats, including and especially prepackaged bbq rib sandwiches.

#17 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

Hell yeah, Spam is great. I dunno, when I grew up, kids (and people in general I guess...) used to joke about how it was shitty poor people food, so I hated it without even trying it because of the stigma. You know how those things go. Then, maybe a few years ago, my dad wanted me to pick some up from the store since he hadn't had it in ages. Got some and while I was cooking it for him, I had a little nibble, and fell in love with it.

Obviously, it's not like fine cuisine or some shit, but it's definitely good to me.

#18 Posted by Ozzie (556 posts) -

Spam sandwiches are the shit. Used to have it when I was growing up.

#19 Posted by Dichemstys (3928 posts) -

Take some Spam and mix it into some ramen with egg and you got yourself a cheap but tasty lunch.

#20 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (5012 posts) -

Used to think it was disgusting until living in Korea, they go nuts for the stuff here. Now I actually like it a lot.

#21 Posted by Teddie (2157 posts) -

I think the jelly and overall nastiness of canned "meat" isn't worth saving a dollar over some decent bacon. I'm rarely in the mood for salty meat to begin with though.

#22 Posted by elmorales94 (370 posts) -

I'm a vegetarian, but even before that I wouldn't have touched Spam with a ten foot pole. It's presented as the least appetizing thing in the world. They need to get a new ad team on that project, stat.

#23 Posted by DrFlapjack (373 posts) -

I had it as a child and it was okay with male syrup on it. I don't quite remember how it tastes.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
#24 Edited by SubliminalKitteh (454 posts) -

Who else here has been to the SPAM museum?

#25 Posted by Mike (17998 posts) -
#26 Posted by gamb1t (1067 posts) -

Yes but i never eat it. The history behind it is understandable but its a trend that should of died.

#27 Posted by Efesell (4541 posts) -

It makes a fine lazy breakfast, and sometimes I really need that.

#28 Posted by Shiftygism (1022 posts) -

I had it as a child and it was okay with male syrup on it. I don't quite remember how it tastes.

No Caption Provided

#29 Posted by liquiddragon (3460 posts) -

@teddie: Do you consider Spam a substitute for bacon? I don't see the connection just 'cause they're both salty meat, 2 completely separate things to me.

#30 Posted by Digaumgrunge (90 posts) -

A Hawaiian staple food, you gotta love it

#31 Posted by MocBucket62 (2491 posts) -

I do. It’s actually super good in an egg sandwich.

#32 Posted by someoneproud (604 posts) -

Is that hypothetical? Who doesn't like Spam?

#33 Edited by Picky_Bugger (241 posts) -

Spam is for War time rationing and only war time rationing.

#34 Posted by azulot (272 posts) -

Spam Fried Rice, Spam Grilled Cheese/Melt, Spam Mac & Cheese, and Spam Breakfast Sandwiches are all pretty damn good.

#35 Edited by OldGuy (1687 posts) -

Scrapple is better, but Spam'll do in a pinch.

#36 Edited by Ravelle (3311 posts) -

I had it on toast once, it's super salty but it wasn't that bad. It's never something I would buy though. Unless the apocalypse happens.

#37 Edited by bybeach (6368 posts) -

Won't go fucking near it.

I hate ham also.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
#38 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (459 posts) -

Spam is real tasty. I hardly ever eat it, but it's good.

#39 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4443 posts) -
No Caption Provided

good stuff

#40 Posted by CornBREDX (7370 posts) -

Yes. I love all the foods created during the great depression including SPAM.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
#41 Posted by shivermetimbers (1718 posts) -

Deli meats exist, so I have no desire to eat it. Maybe with eggs or something? Probably not tho.

#42 Posted by Bill_McNeal (839 posts) -

I do. Grilled. Pan fried with some honey. In rice. With eggs.

#43 Posted by gamer_152 (14771 posts) -

It's been a long time since I had it but I remember it being gross. Hot dogs might also be a mess of meat parts, but there's something about the look and texture and spam that puts me off.

#44 Posted by buzz_clik (7590 posts) -

Yeah, I love it thinly sliced in soup noodles. And then any left over that I didn't use in that I'll still slice up and either have on a sandwich or just eat on its own.

#45 Posted by vinone (329 posts) -

I’ve never had it. It’s just never really come up as a food option. Idk if I’ve ever even seen it in person...?

#47 Posted by Zelyre (1902 posts) -

Yeah, spam is awesome. Whenever I have it, it's usually with egg 'n' rice (a bowl of rice mixed with raw egg, sesame oil, and soy sauce). So kinda a mix of west and east cuisine.

There's this whole weird Canto-Western cuisine in Hong Kong. When I went as a kid, it was sort of comfort food to me as it was as close to American food as I was allowed to get when I was there. Fried spam, fried egg on rice with soy sauce and macaroni in tomato soup.

#48 Posted by emumford (86 posts) -

Spam is great when fried. Cut it thin so it crisps up just right and you've got a proper sandwich sized slice of bacon. I mean there is nothing wrong with spam it's simply pork shoulder meat that's too hard to cut into meaningful sizes. I'm actually happier that it's a thing instead of letting all that meat go to waste.

There again I'm one who typically enjoys processed meats, most have a nostalgic place in my heart (possibly a literally one too). I mean spam itself is quite tame, bigger question would be who enjoys eating Scrapple?

#49 Posted by Sahalarious (788 posts) -

So I sometimes get drunk, and get some Hot and Spicy Spam. I open the lid, stick a fork riiiiight into the center, slide the goopy thang out, and then eat it like a lollipop, cold and dripping. This is my reality.

#50 Posted by DorkyMohr (263 posts) -

Haven't tried it but when it's sliced and grilled it's looked really good so I wanna try it.