Do you like Spam (the canned food product)?

• 88 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

Poll Do you like Spam (the canned food product)? (375 votes)

Yes 54%
No 20%
I've never had it but have talked shit about it. 20%
Result 6%

Hey, I like Spam, I think it tastes good, but it's one of those things I hear people talk shit about pretty often. I've always been puzzled about this because conversely, I don't think I've ever heard people talk shit about hot dogs and we all kinda know what goes into making those.

So I was just kinda wondering.

• 
ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@zolroyce said:

once and a while I'd take a bite and there would be some sort of minuscule but noticeable hard... thing, I don't know what. Just a noticeable tiny bit of grit.

Most likely a stray bit of bone.

I hate that shit too, I come across them once in awhile in processed meats, including and especially prepackaged bbq rib sandwiches.

Ahhh okay, that makes sense. I'd get it in Bologna too.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By MonkeyKing1969

Sliced and really well cooked in a hot frying pan it is great. Monty Python had the right of it - Spam Spam Spam & Eggs is good. The thing about Spam®, it is a meat that you really want a "crusty fry" on, like Linguiça (Portuguese) or Chorizo (Brazil). Spam is not something you warm! Spam is something you cook fast and hot....you want some 'Kitchen Chemistry' going on.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love me some spam. I spam it up on the reg. Spam here, spam there, lunch dinner breakfast in that order. Spam it to me baby.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

SPAM with rice is one of the reminders that the road to heaven sometimes has to go through the trudges of banal and mediocre.

bawbalewie1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ok. It's very salty. I'm not a huge salt fan. So, I tend just to add it to nachos and put a crap ton of pepper on to balance out the salt

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep, I was raised on it, along with deviled ham, which would probably be more divisive. Spam fried rice is top tier. A thick slice of pan fried Spam makes a good sandwich meat. It gets a bad rap, but I like it.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would've liked a third option for "Somewhat"

I don't like Spam nor do I hate it. I don't eat it by itself or in a sandwich or anything. But Spam and fried rice? Mmmmmmmm

My wife always thought Spam looked gross and never ever wanted to try it, until I tricked her with Spam and fried rice and told her what it was only after.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've only had it once and it was ok.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Don't get it. Don't intend to try to.

HugoBossk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sometimes when I eat spam I think a little too much about what it is. Other than that, it's good stuff.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I've never had Spam, yet I have not talked shit about it.

This might be an odd question, but what does Spam taste like? Also, is it more solid or is it closer to a paste?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@clagnaught: Kinda like cocktail sausages without the casing but saltier. It's solid.

DorkyMohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Haven't tried it but when it's sliced and grilled it's looked really good so I wanna try it.

UPDATE: I've since tried it, it's not bad but holy moly is it salty as hell. A few bites of it and my mouth feels absolutely parched. If I try it again I'd have to get the less sodium version.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I used to talk shit about spam, but then my Hawaiian college roommate showed me the light of how delicious it can be.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mekon  Online

I like the taste of it, but at the same time it seems a bit fatty which is something I'm trying to move away from. I'm going for chicken and lean meat like pork now. Edit: looking at a comment above, I'd suggest a chicken stir fry can take less than 10 minutes as a lazy option, all else you need is some pre-chopped vegetables and a little oil which you can buy in a store for not much money to make that happen.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By gbrading

Spam is decent. It's better than I expected it to be, but it's not my favourite canned meat. I think corned beef is generally better and ahead of that, tinned cured pork tastes the best and is delicious in toasted sandwiches with cheese.

I also like the Monty Python sketch.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spam is great, scrapple is better

the_psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate it, but I don't like it all that much either. I wouldn't buy it, but I'd eat it if it was in the house and I was bored with all the other food.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Spam is good, pork roll is better.

TyroneHoare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TyroneHoare

Growing up we didn't have the most money ever so we had a lot of canned foods, we used to pan-fry ours and it got crispy and delicious. Sometimes we'd just cut some up and put it in some bread and I was a happy camper :p

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By TheChris

I like canned cod roe on top of bread, never tried spam.

SlightlyTrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant think of anything more disgusting and unhealthy... why would you do that to yourself.

MeganLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never knew the thing was real, where can you get spam?

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Fried spam with eggs. Nectar of the gods.

DrinkMoxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

carpe_dmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By carpe_dmt

for any NJ expats out there missing taylor ham, I've found that thinly sliced fried spam is a passable substitute

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It has its place. Spam, or more specifically the Finnish equivalent nötkötti, with rice was always the go-to emergency food when we couldn't leave the island where our cottage is for the mainland because of a bad storm and started to run out of food. As a result I have quite a lot of nostalgia for the stuff. I also had a really great Spam onigiri in Okinawa once.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A grilled spam and bacon butty with brown sauce is one of lifes guilty pleasures

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Onemanarmyy

A new user named MeganLee bumps an ancient thread and therefore revives it?

I bet the message will be edited with links in the next week.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I don't understand why spam bots attack this forum so much. It has a very small user population at this point and I can't imagine anyone is actually clicking those links in this, the year of our lord, 2020.

As for Spam the "food"... I have had it a couple time because I had a Korean friend in college who loved the stuff and made me try it. It tastes like extremely salty canned meat, probably because it is extremely salty canned meat. I neither loved nor hated it. I am now vegetarian so will never eat it again, but if I still ate meat I wouldn't refuse to eat it if someone offered me some, so it's not the worst thing in the world.

In terms of where to purchase it...basically every normal grocery store in America? Or online? It's not as popular as it once was but it's not hard to get in the U.S. Obviously YMMV depending on what country you live in. Whole Foods doesn't sell it (obviously) but mainline Amazon.com does.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 15

Until you've had spam prepared by a Hawaiian, Japanese, or Filipino eatery (or household), you've not experienced its truest, most delicious form.

Otherwise: it mostly seems gross because people keep thinking you just eat it out of the can, but people! Pan fry it! That's it. That's LITERALLY all you need to do. Heat source+spam=tasty meat anyone can enjoy.

DrinkMoxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marinate in teriyaki, grill, and serve on a bun with a ring of pineapple

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have a similar thing in my country and it's one of the most disgusting things I've tasted.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who dunks on spam should just donate their stockpile to us Asians: we know how to turn the funny meat thing into a flavor bomb.

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Spam is great when slice thin and fried. I only ever use it for two things a nice spam and cheese sandwich with a slice of tomato or super thin and fried to a crisp.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm going to say it. I prefer spam over a meatball. Spam gets a bad rep.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@onemanarmyy: I both had good and bad meatballs. A good meat ball is delicious. I had Spam once when someone bought it as a goof from a america import section. it was on toast and it was pretty alright but not something I would deliberately chooses to eat regularly.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're going to necro this thread, I'm going to necro the truest reponse...

Scrapple is better. I don't eat it anymore because I'd rather not keel over dead, but when I was a kid this was the only correct choice for the true pigs parts slurry gourmet.