Do you make Microwave Popcorn? And, do you do it as much as you used to?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll Do you make Microwave Popcorn? And, do you do it as much as you used to? (225 votes)

I make microwave popcorn regularly (at least weekly if not more) 7%
I make microwave popcorn sometimes (once or twice every few weeks) 14%
I make microwave popcorn rarely (its has to be a special occasion) 19%
I USED make microwave popcorn, but I do it rarely now. 40%
Yuck....I don't have any desire to make it? 6%
Popcorn? Old man get out of here with your vinyl records, TEARS FOR FEARS Tour 1986 tee-shirts, and your old-people snack foods! 5%
I only pop my own organics corn in a cast-iron pot...riding my single speed hipster bike while waxing to my "Dali" mustache! 10%

I was child in the 70s where we cooked kernals in a pot with corn oil...or got some alimunm foil Jiffy-Pop. In teh 80s when our family got a microwave we made microwave popcorn three times a week as a snack. If we rented a VHS tape, my sister and I ALWAYS made popcorn. (Its was just that using a microwave to make anything was still new - so we needed little excuse to make some popcorn!)

However, now I never make microwave popcorn and hardly even even have popcorn unless I go to a movie theater. I guess as a teen microwave popcorn was a cheap snack too, so we could afford to buy it ourselves.

So what do you folks do and do you eat less popcorn now? Is popcorn no longer fashionable?

• 
TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TravisRex

Be wary people who eat lots of microwave popcorn, i guess the butter they use in it, or whatever, causes heavy inflamation and migraines in some folks.

Anecdotal, from a coworker who went to a nutritionist, she had those symptoms, migraines are gone now.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I very rarely have microwave popcorn. I'd rather buy it already made in the bag.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

My breakfast each morning is just air-popped popcorn (microwaved in a paper lunch bag) with some olive oil. I haven't had any of the prepackaged and pre-"buttered" microwave popcorn in, like, a decade, though.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I have a bag of it that's been sitting in the cupboard for almost a year, I used to make it semi regularly not sure why I stopped.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm with you. A child in the 70's. We used to be able to buy packets in the grocery store called TV Time Popcorn and it was like popcorn, oil and salt and you would cook it on the stove. It was great. Jiffy Pop also. That said, I hate microwave popcorn and only get popcorn at movie theaters or at carnivals etc.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Up until very recently I used to use an oil popper when I wanted to make popcorn at home (every couple weeks), but I started buying microwave popcorn again. Easier, no cleanup, and I don't tend to make/eat as much that way, too.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a constant microwave popcorn kid but eventually I ended up with a microwave so shitty that it just can't manage it without ruining a bag so if I have it now it's all from an electric popper or stove top.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wok + ghee. Easy peasy.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to, but these days it's cheaper and better to just buy the kernels and pop them in a pan with some oil. I also have an air popper, but I kinda stopped using it when I realized it tasted a lot better on a stove top, and not really that much more effort.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't microwaved popcorn since I was like 12-13. I used to do it every Friday as a kid and watch movies/play games in my room.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent some time (too darn long) working for a cinema and, while it is quite different style of popcorn, I just have little to no interest in making popcorn these days.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Seikenfreak

There was maybe a 10 year period of time where I didn't. I recently started on it again using that Pop Secret "movie butter" stuff and figured out the perfect time in the microwave. The popcorn button goes for way too long.

It's still somewhat rare though. I have to be hungry for a snack and watching a movie, so those two don't always line up.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really eat popcorn anymore. I used to quite frequently. Now I pretty much only have it when I go to the movies.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Used to do it all the time when I was a kid. Family gathers round, Great Movies, get the popcorn ready and a bowl for everyone to share from.

Now I'm not so into popcorn. I can get down with some Cracker Jacks on occasion, or superkid if I happen across a Kernels.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’ll have it here or there, I guess. Not monthly, but not yearly. Usually it’s if the kids want some when we’re all watching a movie together.

I don’t think I eat it less in my adult life as I didn’t eat it a ton as a kid either.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Hamst3r

I tend to only eat popcorn when someone else is eating popcorn. My mom and my best friend seem to have a thing for it. I don't think I've ever actually made popcorn for myself.

m4r71n2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a hot air popcorn popper but i barely use it as i find it hard to get any flavours to stick to the popcorn

fedallah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had one single packet of microwave popcorn in my cupboard for about six years.

I do have an air popper I use pretty frequently. Just shake on some cayenne and a little garlic powder and you have a great snack that's not all that bad for you. Stovetop is good too, but I'm a sucker for easier cleanup.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At home we do it on the hob in a pan maybe once a month. I don’t think I’ve ever used the microwave for popcorn at home.

But I run the UK version of Girl Scouts and if we have a movie night we have microwave popcorn because it’s quicker, there’s less cleaning up and the girls can do it unsupervised.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yeah, even as teen we always purchased the no-butter style, because I hated the fake butter flavor of some popcorn. So I agree with people who don't like microwave popcorn for that reason. In teh 1970s when we made it on the stove we always poured have a stick of real melted butter on the popped kernels. I even recall buying our first jar of Orville Redenbacher popcorn in teh mid-70s. Orville Redenbacher totally revolutionized popcorn.

But, it is shocking how little popcorn eat now. And, I see a lot of other are experiencing the same thing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#22 fisk0  Moderator

I like the taste of microwave popcorn, but my own microwave oven is too small for the bags most of them are sold in, they can't turn around freely in there, so I generally only have them when visiting my parents or others with larger microwaves a couple of times a year. And, well, I don't like popcorn enough to actually invest in buying a larger oven myself. Also, didn't have a microwave as a kid.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#23 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I used to do microwave popcorn quite often, I basically never do it now. WHen I want popcorn, I use a large aluminum bowl with oil and the kernels in it covered by aluminum foil. To me it just tastes better. I won't badmouth people who like microwave popcorn though

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not microwaved pop corn for at least a decade. Up to really recently I bought the bagged organic 39 calorie per cup type stuff. But the past month I have come across this Tapatio-Picante flavored bagged pop corn that has just blown me away. As close to pork rinds as you can get, flavor and even some texture, with out grossing yourself out on unhealthy fat, intake wise

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

What kind of microwave popcorn are you talking about though? I used to, sometimes, but don't do the prepackaged buttery popcorn anymore. Now, not too often, but sometimes I'll put the popcorn seeds in a brown paper lunch bag and put it in the microwave for a minute and a half or so. It's much healthier and tastes just fine without anything added in my opinion, with the added benefit of not getting anything on your hands. My mom has a machine she uses to make popcorn. I would say most of the time I have popcorn when going to the movies, but it's not always guaranteed. Sometimes the ticket is enough. I would say I eat popcorn rarely, but I like eating it fine. I do hate when the kernel gets stuck in the back of my throat though.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

When I was a kid I did a lot, but as an adult I realized I don't much care for microwave popcorn. I much prefer smartfood white cheddar popcorn, but ever since finding out I'm lactose intolerance I haven't really been able to have that either.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't used a microwave in like over 15 years. Supposedly destroys the nutrients in your food and microwave popcorn is said to be pretty bad for you. Like carcinogenic bad. I do love popcorn though so I've been thinking of buying a popcorn machine as of late, haven't had one of those around in years.
Toaster oven all the way for all food heating needs.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like a few others, I just put the kernels in a bowl with some saran wrap over it and do it that way.

Shivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use an air popper these days and rarely add butter and a little salt. I prefer white popcorn kernels to the yellow kernels.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

: I just make my own on the stovetop. Get to use whatever ingredients I want. I'm a fan of using coconut oil for the fat and then cajun seasoning.

@bill_mcneal: This is a thing?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Casepb

I picked the last option cause it sounded fun. I rarely do microwave popcorn now because I have a popcorn machine. Bought a Great Northern from amazon. Tastes just like I'm at the movies!

@franstone: Ha, my friends that I use to live with would make fun of me for using the oven instead of the microwave to heat my foods. They would use the microwave for 1 min and be done, while the oven would take 10 mins. Ever tried an air fryer? It's basically a toaster oven with a fan and it cooks much faster than a toaster oven. Been using one for a year now, they are awesome.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: It is for me, at least. No oil or butter, I use either a fat free flavored aerosol spray or olive oil in a Misto sprayer and a light dusting of salt.

4.5 minutes (+/-) and you're golden.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

My parents had an oil and butter corn popper, so I used that a lot as a kid, but eventually it wore down and we switched to microwave. I would make three bags in a day sometimes, but I had a lot of horrible snacking habits. I would eat eight pop-tarts between lunch and dinner, or grab a bucket of ice cream and eat directly out of it. It's amazing that I have a relatively average physique considering the way I ate as a teenager.

The only thing I've microwaved in the past, oh, four years has been leftovers. I still can't see a movie in theaters without a bag of popcorn in hand though.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dude buy a bag of popcorn seeds (like $1), pour some olive oil in a pot, heck season that -ish a bit, and let it pop on medium heat. I used to be into microwaveable popcorn back in the 90s, then worked at a movie theater and started hating the butter taste, and later found how silky and hearty stove top popped corn can be. It's absolutely worth your time.

I will mention that cleanup is significantly worse. You'll have to run the pot under hot water with gloves on and go to town.

DurMan667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Whirley Pop and I'll never go back

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'll grab some microwave popcorn if it's on sale, and then have it around for a quick snack during a movie/Netflix/DVR catch-up kind of night. But if I want to have some good popcorn, I have a Presto/Orville Redenbacher branded popcorn maker. Yes, you use it in the microwave, but you use regular popcorn kernels, can use oil or not, and then can season/butter as you want when it's fresh out of the microwave. Each popper uses 1/3 cup of kernels, so two of those and you've got a big-ass bowl of popcorn for the evening's at home movie watching.