cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By cookiemonster

@Dany said:

No, I do not have any CH2=CH-CH3 laying around...

Oh dear.

Oh deary me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By GunstarRed

A bunch, but most importantly the soundtrack to the Turtles movie with Turtle Power on it.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Dany

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

Oh dear.

Oh deary me.

Now, if we are talking about an benzylic group, I got that shit covered like a methyl on a toulene

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By cookiemonster

@Dany said:

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

Oh dear.

Oh deary me.

Now, if we are talking about an benzylic group, I got that shit covered like a methyl on a toulene

Naa I'm only interested in C6H6. Take your knock off benzylic groups somewhere else.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Dany

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

Oh dear.

Oh deary me.

Naa I'm only interested in C6H6. Take your knock off benzylic groups somewhere else.

I'll halogenate you anytime you want.

wat.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By cookiemonster

@Dany said:

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

Oh dear.

Oh deary me.

wat.

I never seem to react well to these situations.

QuietAlien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By QuietAlien

I have a few.

The Specials- Self Titled

UB40- Labour of Love

The Kinks- Give the People What They Want

Devo- Freedom of Choice

Depeche Mode- Speak & Spell

The Descendents- Milo Goes to College

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58  Edited By Hamst3r

Zero vinyls. Do not want.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By chrissedoff

There was a flea market near my house when I was growing up that would sell LP's, 2 for $5. I must own at least 150 of them. I don't have any recently released music on vinyl, sadly.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MikkaQ

I started about 4 or 5 years ago, and now I have a couple hundred records. I love it! It brings back the thrill of collecting to music, which was missing for a time when I just bought everything off of iTunes. Finding a record of an album I love, or something hard to find from an artist I love is such a great feeling.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By emprpngn

I buy vinyl at shows, and usually get them autographed.

I enjoy the bigger artwork, and the tactile experience of putting a record on to listen to. I get that a lot of people don't really care about that, so you're not going to see me preaching the vinyl gospel anytime soon... but it's definitely a rewarding experience if you have the time, money, or inclination.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Dany

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

@CookieMonster said:

@Dany said:

Oh dear.

Oh deary me.

wat.

I never seem to react well to these situations.

Don't worry, I'll figure a way to iron out the problem.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Moonshadow101

82.5% say yes. Either GB is incredibly heavy on old people and audiophiles, or this poll has enough self-selection bias to fill all of the extra space I save by not having records and associated equipment. I'm going with the latter.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By matthias2437

Yup, I own a lot actually. And a few record players, most recent ones I picked up were all The Killers, and Vampire Weekend vinyl.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#65  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I've been buying records for about two and half years now, and I have around 150 now. I have all of Led Zeppelin's discovery, and have everything from Pink Floyd, to Slipknot, to Ella Fitzgerald, to Bach and Mozart.

Progman9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#66  Edited By Progman9000

I have one of my favorite Wes Montgomery albums on vinyl because I saw it at a record store and it was like $10 and I thought, "that'd be really cool to have sitting in my room". So it is. I don't even have a turntable.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By mrcraggle

I personally only have 1 which is the Bioshock soundtrack I got with the special edition of Bioshock 2. My dad probably has quite a few in our loft though.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By iWonder
@Moonshadow101

82.5% say yes. Either GB is incredibly heavy on old people and audiophiles, or this poll has enough self-selection bias to fill all of the extra space I save by not having records and associated equipment. I'm going with the latter.

To be fair, a large number of responses were that either most or all of their vinyls were from their family.
CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By CheapPoison

@iWonder said:

To be fair, a large number of responses were that either most or all of their vinyls were from their family.

This pretty much.

And i have found that more and more younger people are back into it. I don't know why.. but if i could choose i'd pick up the lp too. Better sound quality at home and beyond that i just use mp3 or whatever. Cd might be easier to take with you but that's only really applicable in your car or something so.

Also, I have found that you can store way more lp then cd on a certain space.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Chop

Anyone else love the sound of worn vinyl? Something about that sound just...yeah...

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By GunnBjorn

Only two. And they're both singles.

Madonna - Who's that girl?

Doe Maar (a dutch ska-band) - De Bom.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Hot_Karl

Thanks! I like 'em.

@mrcraggle: You totally just reminded me that I have that Bioshock vinyl as well (got the Special Edition of Bioshock 2 for $20 new a couple years ago), so yeah, add that to my list!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Now you guys made me want to share some pics with ya, so here's my collection. As you can see, some of the vinyls haven't been opened yet, just because I haven't gotten around to listening to them. Some I've gotten from second-hand stores or just from family members. The La Sera & Big Boi vinyls are in yellow and white respectively, which I admire. Love when the vinyls themselves are in a different color.

No Caption Provided

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By cookiemonster

@VinceNotVance: The cover design of the big boi album is brilliant, and nice collection.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By cookiemonster

Also, that VVVVVV soundtrack needs to be on vinyl. I'd buy the shit out of that.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#75  Edited By benspyda

None unfortunately. But I'm no DJ or collector really and in my 20's so that'd probably be why.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I have a few. I have all the Zeppelin vinyls that my uncle gave me (he bought them all on release) that I've kept in SUPERB condition. My mom plans on giving me her collection of all the Beatles vinyls eventually. I just want a REALLY nice turntable for them now. I have one but it's plastic and there's one I saw in town that's got Ebony and gold and FUCK I WANT IT.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Karl_Boss

@CookieMonster said:

Also, that VVVVVV soundtrack needs to be on vinyl. I'd buy the shit out of that.

They rarely put video game soundtracks on vinyl though....shame.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LiquidSwords

I'm approaching 2000 records! Collect punk/hardcore records. I've been collecting since '97.

No Caption Provided

Took this pic a year ago. I'm up to ten 7" boxes and have nine crates for my 12" records. I'm running out of room!

PS-Was going to post when the thread went up, but was banned :(

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Butler

This was my most recent purchase:

No Caption Provided

It is as much fun as you think it is.

I love listening to vinyl. I've come to enjoy rituals before enjoying things. Listening to vinyl, hand rolling cigarettes or smoking out of a pipe, and cooking have all become hobbies of mine because they require some effort to enjoy.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Systech

My library has gotten quite extensive since I started it a couple years ago with 70+ records. Some of most prized and loved records are The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu (original issue), Madvillainy by Madvillain, Public Strain by Women, A River Ain't Too Much To Love by Smog, Sign 'O' The TImes by Prince, More Songs About Buildings and Food by Talking Heads, and Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs by Marty Robbins. I also came into possession of The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and Meddle by Pink Floyd from the sealed library of my homeless schizophrenic uncle. Those are probably the most interesting items I have in terms of value and story of receiving them.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes, i have lots of vinyl records. i have over 1,500 records. most of them are of the electronic dance music genre. i have some rare presses that are one of less than 50 in the world. i have some autographed by paul van dyk, dieselboy, kryptic minds, pendulum, chase & status, skazi, armin van buuren, and max graham. i used to dj back when the US rave scene was alive and well. i still have my first pair of technics SL1200 mkII turntables, too, and they still work like they're brand new!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By fattony12000

50 is not lots.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By destruktive

I've got some. I randomly pick them up from thrift stores when I find some of interest.
Got some metallica, iron maiden, dream theater and focust vinyls. Oh, and one beatles :)

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jasta

Just the one, Muse - Unintended.

Muse are my favorite band by a long shot, but I've still no idea why I own this. 

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#85  Edited By kalmis

Yup, not many though. 20+ or so. Mostly metal including some rare doom vinyls. Couple of George Carlin and some 80's things as well.. Like Turtles OST and so on. Don't have a player though sadpanda

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#86  Edited By Tireyo

Nope.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By iWonder
@Fattony12000

50 is not lots.

Its not alot of music, no.
But vinyls are often expensive. So relatively, i think it is. Sometimes thats not the case - goto new york or any major city ( or hell, just look at enough thrift stores) and if you look hard enough im sure youll find some old classical vinyls for like 50 cents a pop. But alot of limited edition vinyls can be 50, 100, or even several hundred dollars.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Hot_Karl

Since this is the unofficial vinyl thread here, I've got a question for you peeps.

One of my vinyls, which I received for Christmas & just opened, skips when played. It seems to have some plastic or dust stuck on the vinyl itself. What do you guys recommend I should do to clean it? Get solution? Buy a cleaner kit (and if so, which one? I don't want to spend more than $20 for a cleaning kit) or perhaps are there other do-it-yourself solutions?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By Cube

I have a vinyl copy of Radiohead's TKOL.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Spoonman671

I've got the Untitled Led Zeppelin album, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Axis: Bold as Love in frames on the wall.  That's it though. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By iWonder

@VinceNotVance said:

Since this is the unofficial vinyl thread here, I've got a question for you peeps.

One of my vinyls, which I received for Christmas & just opened, skips when played. It seems to have some plastic or dust stuck on the vinyl itself. What do you guys recommend I should do to clean it? Get solution? Buy a cleaner kit (and if so, which one? I don't want to spend more than $20 for a cleaning kit) or perhaps are there other do-it-yourself solutions?

Solution would probably be the best idea if you're not looking to spend alot of money. There's also a video somewhere on youtube where a guy deep cleans his stuff with wood glue? But that sounds... kinda... dangerous.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92  Edited By EuanDewar
@Cube

I have a vinyl copy of Radiohead's TKOL.

Same, lovely artwork in that package.

@Systech Dude, Madvillainy would be the sickest shit to have on vinyl. Mad jealous now.
ragnarok7038

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ragnarok7038

Yup! Browse my collection. (I think it's up-to-date) I picked up some Mayhem, Hordes of the Lunar Eclipse, and Thou yesterday.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#94  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Voted A because I have right around 50. Mostly classical and classic rock, but have some newer stuff.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Karl_Boss

@VinceNotVance said:

You can use dish washer fluid and warm water, you just have to be careful to not get the label wet, after cleaning you can also brush it with an anti-static brush.....but was it a brand new record?......if it was it shouldn't have skipped, is your tonearm properly counter-weighted?

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By mscupcakes

I have Neon Bible by Arcade Fire, Illinois by Sufjan Stevens, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, a couple of Biffy Clyro and Radiohead 7" Singles, a 7" single of Orange Crush by R.E.M. A signed 7" of Matchbook Seeks Maniac by Deerhoof and the Bioshock 2 Soundtrack.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By iWonder

@mscupcakes said:

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd,

I find it shocking that no one else has posted that they have this album on vinyl.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By iWonder

@TheJohn said:

@iWonder said:

@NegativeCero said:

No, its always interested me though. Is there any difference in quality? I feel like that's something I hear about vinyl.

In CD's, they chop off the lows, chop off the highs, and compress it to fit on the disc. With a vinyl it's pure analog - everything's there. So a bass drum feels bassier, a cymbal feels crashier, and everything (theoretically) has more detail.

you're gonna have your mind blown if you're into stuff from the seventies. The eighties always sounded shit, so vinyl won't help.

I'm tempted to get some Yes and Genesis from their glory days, knowing this. Hearing "Roundabout" through an all-analog setup sounds like it would be a trip and a half.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By goatmilk

At best guess I would say a few thousand. Stuff that I actually listen to I'd have to say maybe a couple of hundred. I inherited a lot from old relatives so I have a bunch of crap like "50 best British marching songs - the box" and some operas from Nazi Germany which I doubt I will ever listen to. Some of the best stuff I got from my Dad. Bunch of psychedelic/prog albums from the 60s-70s plus a lot of Beatles original pressings.

I haven't actually spent money on vinyl in a while sadly. Just don't have the spare cash any more. Even when I'd tell myself I wouldn't spend over $2/album I'd still walk out at least $100 poorer. Last thing I bought was a Neil Hamburger EP.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Just got the steel tin of MF DOOM's Doomsday, DOPE!