Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Poll Do you take selfies? (391 votes)

Yes 24%
No 76%

So as we all know, the photo portrait has been with us since the 1800's thanks to daguerreotypes(Life Is Strange, 2015), but do you take selfies?

Personally I never have and really don't understand the appeal. This article refers to some polling that suggests 68% of millennial women have taken a selfie as have 42% of millennial men. The point that many women take them in order to feel empowered or more confident is brought up and contrasted with the idea that for others, being exposed to other people presenting themselves as attractive and living exaggerated lives is alienating. I'd assume that the GB community will have far fewer selfie fans than the general population since it's a male skewed audience and I expect that the type of person who posts on these forums is not the type to be into self-portraiture.

I like to try to live in the moment as much as possible, so stopping to document yourself seems very at odds with that to me, very narcissistic and staged. If anyone has some insight into why it's so popular, I'd love to hear the reasoning.

#FuckYourSelfie

• 
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wouldn't say that it's something I do, but I have done it.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I take selfies on my work colleagues phones when they leave them to charge.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

yes, actually part of a rehabilitation after a bike accident I wanted to see how much I changed in 2 years. And the process helped me present myself better and know what works.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#54  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Yes, generally when I'm with friends and want a quick group photo. I don't do it often though.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't but I don't care if people do.

Though, people who take and post them non-stop on Facebook do get annoying.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I took a couple of selfies when I was on vacation alone and realized "The only person who can take a picture of me at this moment is me, since I don't want a European Vacation moment and lose my camera or phone."

But otherwise, nope.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've taken selfies before, but I don't do it on a regular basis, so 'no' is my answer. I'm too conscious of how I want to appear in a photo to just whimsically take pictures of myself.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I'm an adult.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I do on occasion as a matter of practicality. I'm living in Japan right now and sometimes I want to take a picture of myself next to some cool statue or tree or something, and sometimes there is no one around to take that picture for me so selfie it is.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't like being in pictures in general. I'm also not a millennial.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I don't. My stance on people that incessantly take selfies and post them on social media has softened over the years. I still find the beligerent feminist justification for what is essentially something very vain and narcissistic to be a little eyeroll-y, though. Also, I'm not a millenial so maybe I just don't get it and never will. I'm fine with that.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By JJBSterling

Yes, but not the stereotypical selfie like in a bathroom mirror or anything like that. I hadn't taken a selfie until I was on vacation a few months ago and the easiest way to get my travel companions and I all in one shot were selfies. We've pulled over in the middle of a redwood forest in California with nobody but us around so I'm gonna take a selfie rather than not taking a picture at all. I think it depends completely on how you use it I guess. But if you're going to get all mad about how people take pictures of themselves you might need to mellow out a bit.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't, but if it's something that makes people happy, then so f'n be it. Being mad about selfies is like so two years ago.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman said:

Despite how handsome I am. NO

You are an extremely selfish individual to be denying the world your beauty.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Only when my wife wants a picture with me because my arms are longer.

InfamousOnager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only once when an internet friend asked me what I looked like.

Unless spending hours customising a character to look like me counts as a selfie

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

A handful a month; mostly when either a) I think my hair or clothes looked particularly good that day (those are for me), b) my girlfriend asks for a picture/what I'm doing, because we are more often than not across the country from each other (those are for her), or c) in inside-joke situations with a picture+caption (those are back and forth between my close friends and I). I'm not posting them on social media or anything, which I think is the real connotation of 'selfie' that most people have/hate.

That said, I think you should probably stop taking yourself/everything so seriously if you think someone taking a picture of themselves is worthy of vitriol.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Silver-Streak

I don't even partake in normal pictures, to the point where I do everything possible to make sure I look disinterested the moment a ride photo is taken at Disney World, so my wife doesn't buy them.

I sure as hell don't take my own. (No I don't have any logical reason behind it. I just don't like being in photos).

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I never realised how uptight a lot of people are about taking a photo of themselves. As I have taken a selfie not 10 seconds ago (I looked amazing) I guess I am some sort of conceited, belligerent feminist, vain, millennial child who refuses to live in the moment and somehow confuses pictures with memories.

Some of ye lads seem to be a bit tightly wound on this subject :)

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot think of anything that makes me feel like an asshole more than holding a camera up to my own face in public. Do whatever makes you happy in life, but for me, no thank you.

rusalkagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes, for multiple reasons:

1. it helps me develop confidence in a world that really, really likes destroying the self-esteem of women like me (and pretty much everyone else too)

2. i recently moved thousands of miles away from my friends and family, so things like snapchat are useful to simulate the experience of being together. plus my parents enjoy seeing that i am still alive/adorable.

3. i have a mental illness that gives me sort of emotional amnesia. when i am in a bad state, i cannot recall times in which i have felt better, and sometimes i feel no connection to life at all. looking at photos of myself, including selfies, are particularly useful in bringing me back to earth when i dissociate or forget i have ever lived before i began experiencing a certain emotion. they are grounding, they are proof which helps me recognize that oh shit i have actually existed for a while now.

4. because i think they are fun.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do dick pics count? If not, no.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Ungodly

Not usually, but if I need someone to advise me on a look then I will take a selfie. Otherwise just taking a picture of myself makes me feel uncomfortable. I believe I'm attractive, but there's something I find lonely about just taking a picture of myself, and also I guess maybe it seems unnecessary to me.

I'm not bothered by people that do take selfies, though. If it puts an extra skip in your step, then skip on brother.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray
@infamousonager said:

Only once when an internet friend asked me what I looked like.

Unless spending hours customising a character to look like me counts as a selfie

Oh, god.. I just spent a good 20 minutes remaking myself in XCOM 2. And here I thought I was better than this. Have I been taking Xelfies all along without realizing it?

@charlie_victor_bravo: I'd say that comes down to whether you're a bell-end or not.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

This is a really interesting thread. The answers reveal a lot about the indidivuals.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last time I took a selfie was 2008.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Not very often as I just don't take many pictures of anything period,although I'm beginning to regret that. I've taken a few occasionally to see if I got my hair right or something like that before an important social event. But I've never shared one. I do find the demonization of the practice to be some old school obstinate nonsense though. Selfies are silly, largely harmless and easier than ever to do now thanks to phones etc. There's a reminiscing practical benefit too, kinda of like having a photo diary.

Granted someone who hyper shares daily selfies on instagram and such can seem incredibly narcissistic and I get why people don't like that. Anything taken to an extreme or is done in an inconsiderate manner will be annoying.

But other than the most uptight fuddy-duddies, who really cares if someone else takes a selfie?

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I took a selfie in the dentists once because I was stuck for 2 hours with a dental derm, something called a "bicycle lock" which is basically a clamp and 2 metal sticks in my face. Other than that I think they're cringey and wouldn't be caught dead taking one.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Far too camera shy to take selfies.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking through this thread it really doesn't surprise me that a bunch of video game forum goers would be so against pictures of themselves.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I tried to get a selfie I could use for a profile pic on my phone. I wasn't particularly satisfied with the results, but used it anyway. It's not like I have a bunch of good photos to use.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to take a selfie. I don't really like cameras, they make me look horrible.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Judging by the number of people claiming to have not been photographed in years Giant Bomb is full of Vampires apparently.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I had a friend who was very anti-photograph. She passed away and I only have one picture to remember her by. Trust me, that sucks. So remember folks pictures aren't just for you! They probably mean more to other people than you realize, even if you think they look horrible.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nope. Don't plan on ever doing one in my life.

Nomad175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do sometimes; usually not for social media, but more so I can keep track for fitness logs.

I don't mind people posting selfies, even if they do it a lot. I don't really get the sort of negative reaction to them either. Like, who cares?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

No, and if I do it's super rare, like maybe once a year.