Do you think that every individual should have the right to own a gun to protect themselves?

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lamegame621
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lamegame621

Assume the first yes means "no federal/state/local restrictions whatsoever".

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By masternater27

(unfortuantely) yes (with restrictions).  To protect ourselves from unwanted government and the uglier side of humanity.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Absolutely.
I'll even go one step further and say that when you turn 25 the government should issue you a gun.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

Hoo boy, a gun control topic. Haven't seen one of those in a while.

Anyway, I'll go with "yes with restrictions"

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I'll say yes with restrictions.  But the fact people actually feel safer with guns is astounding.
sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sdauz

when ppl have guns, ppl use guns, Australia has tight gun controls...why do u think we have less gun violence than the US? Only 5% of Australians own guns, most of them are farmers and ppl in rural areas. Im not saying Australia is perfect but widespread gun ownership (20% and above) in society can only lead to two things crime and death.

Bioderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bioderm

No you don't need a gun police is there for that. I live in canada and I have never wanted one or feel the need for one

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jinxman
@sdauz said:
" when ppl have guns, ppl use guns, Australia has tight gun controls...why do u think we have less gun violence than the US? Only 5% of Australians own guns, most of them are farmers and ppl in rural areas. Im not saying Australia is perfect but widespread gun ownership (20% and above) in society can only lead to two things crime and death. "
you sir, are wrong 

actual scientific studies show that countries with more widespread gun ownership actually have less violent crimes as compared to countries with less gun ownership. 

BAM 
najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By najaf

Anti-gun Democrat politicians (i.e. Hilary Clinton) like to go on about gun crime and how assault weapons are not reasonable for civilians to own. Meanwhile, they stroll around in armored lemo's and SUV's, and enjoy a sound sleep at night, with Secret Service agents brandishing M4 assault rifles and submachine guns protecting them. 

Why is it that they are privileged to such protection yet they would like to deny citizens the same protection within their own home or vehicle? Oh, because they are a VIP and some sort of target? How about the father who pulls a bunch of gang bangers off some poor kid in a park? How well will he get to sleep at night? 

The simple fact is that there are over 100 million privately owned firearms in America. There is no changing that. If a criminal wants to get his hands on one, there is not a whole lot standing in his way. In a gun populated society, citizens deserve a right to bear equal arms to their aggressors. This is how things have been for centuries.  

Lastly, one must ask what our Forefathers intended when they included the Second Amendment to the Constitution. It is a very simple truth that many liberals try to ignore. It did not have anything to do with hunting or sport. Fearing the future abuse by a government as was experienced with England, they wanted to ensure that citizens would always pose a threat to any governing body so as to avoid dictation as well as defend their right to life, liberty, and property.

In their own words: 

Abraham Lincoln 
 "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it."     

Thomas Jefferson 

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."     

James Madison

The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation. . . (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -- The Federalist, No. 46   

Alexander Hamilton   

"[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights and those of their fellow citizens." -- The Federalist, No. 29   

Patrick Henry  

"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possesion and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress?If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jinxman

Oh snap.  Founding Fathers FTW

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fr0br0

No, because if you give everyone guns, then anybody can use their gun. It only takes one retard to fuck it up. Don't feed the fire.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By najaf
@sdauz said:

" when ppl have guns, ppl use guns, Australia has tight gun controls...why do u think we have less gun violence than the US? Only 5% of Australians own guns, most of them are farmers and ppl in rural areas. Im not saying Australia is perfect but widespread gun ownership (20% and above) in society can only lead to two things crime and death. "

What you say is true. Where there are minimal firearms, there is minimal gun crime. Japan and Germany have largely proved this as well. Why is it that they have no firearms you ask? Because they both lost wars are were forced to surrender them. There are extremely tight gun control laws in both of those countries. And, due to the fact that they surrendered their privately owned arms following the wars and the tight control on importation since that time, there are no longer weapons readily available for criminals to use. This is common sense. 

The United States however has more than 100 million privately owned arms and consumes more than 7 billion rounds of ammunition annually. This is a gun culture. There is no amount of restriction or law beyond a mandatory surrender of arms (which would not go well for its enforcers) that will effectively curb gun crime. There are simply too many and too readily available. 

While both Japan and Germany, and as you claim Australia, enjoy low gun crime rates, you also do not enjoy the power of the people that the United States does. While not armed nearly as well as a modern military, the people of this nation do pose a potential threat to an abusive government. 

The bottom line is that those who rely on the government for protection and are willing to surrender their right to bear arms are relying upon the good nature of their leaders. Sure, you might trust the government to do the right thing now and maybe even in thirty years. It is not about that. It is about protecting future generations from the many horrific scenarios we have bore witness to in history where governments abuse their populace. 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JJOR64

Yes, with restrictions.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Manatassi
@Najaf said:
" @sdauz said:
What you say is true. Where there are minimal firearms, there is minimal gun crime. Japan and Germany have largely proved this as well. Why is it that they have no firearms you ask? Because they both lost wars are were forced to surrender them. There are extremely tight gun control laws in both of those countries. And, due to the fact that they surrendered their privately owned arms following the wars, there are no longer weapons readily available for criminals to use. This is common sense.  The United States however has more than 100 million privately owned arms and consumes more than 7 billion rounds of ammunition annually. This is a gun culture. There is no amount of restriction or law beyond a mandatory surrender of arms (which would not go well for its enforcers) that will effectively curb gun crime. There are simply too many and too readily available.  While both Japan and Germany, and as you claim Australia, enjoy low gun crime rates, you also do not enjoy the power of the people that the United States does. While not armed nearly as well as a modern military, the people of this nation do pose a potential threat to an abusive government.  The bottom line is that those who rely on the government for protection and are willing to surrender their right to bear arms are relying upon the good nature of their leaders. Sure, you might trust the government to do the right thing now and maybe even in thirty years. It is not about that. It is about protecting future generations from the many horrific scenarios we have bore witness to in history where governments abuse their populace.  "
LMFAO ... 

need i say more?
najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By najaf
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

us humans are wild, fucked up and crazy. 

hell no

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lamegame621

I was going to enter my opinion in here, but Najaf pretty much summed it up for me. 
Granted that America is very much a "gun culture" as opposed to some other countries. But the simple fact is that there are no statistics to show that an increase in guns shows a direct positive correlation to an increase in crime (in the US). That's fact. I'm a Democrat, but those are still the facts.  

@Bioderm

said:

" No you don't need a gun police is there for that. I live in canada and I have never wanted one or feel the need for one "

Yes, the police are the ones you should call when there is a crime being committed. However, in court cases such as the Supreme Court case Castle Rock v. Gonzales it is stated explicitly that:

"the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation"

Sentiments similar to Warren v. D.C which states;  "official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for a failure to provide adequate police protection"

This is why we in America have the right to protect ourselves from harm. But don't take that as a blanket statement meaning that the gun laws in the US are perfect, or that a certain minimal percent of the population will buy a gun to commit a crime, but as shown by the US Department of Justice, most of these transactions take place "on the street" or between family members. 
Also, If I remember correctly, Switzerland has a shit load of guns and less suicide rates/ murder rates than the US. This points to the overwhelming problem being something other than the gun itself...maybe poverty, socioeconomic status, mental health, etc. 
That said, gun rights are always going to be different in rural areas than they are in big cities. When you get enough people together, you have a higher percentage of violent offenders. 

Edit: links to the US DOJ webpage on gun statistics: 
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emkeighcameron

Absolutely.

My family and I own more than 10 firearms, including pistols, rifles, carbines, and shotguns.

But oh no, the statistics say we must be violent criminals because we own guns. Crap. 

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Baillie
@emkeighcameron said:
" Absolutely.  My family and I own more than 10 firearms, including pistols, rifles, carbines, and shotguns.    But oh no, the statistics say we must be violent criminals because we own guns. Crap.  "
Just because your family won't shoot anyone else, doesn't mean no one else will. Why the fuck do you need 10 firearms? No one needs guns to protect themselves. Protect themselves from what? 

Really.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Captain_Insano

I'm not American so my say in this debate won't help much. but people seem to forget that the 'Founding Fathers' were around 200 years ago! That was an age without a standardised police force, where laws were just beginning to be established, without easily accessible communication so yeah, guns were probably a good idea at the time. 

Also  emkeighcameron, have you needed those 10 firearms to protect yourself? And why the need for so many, are you preparing for a Left 4 Dead situation where you need that many guns to protect yourself?

I'm not trying to attack those who voted yes (because, let's face it, you guys have fricken guns!) but it just seems like gun ownership is an antiquated law that should no longer exist.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoelTGM

-_-
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lamegame621
@Baillie said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
" Absolutely.  My family and I own more than 10 firearms, including pistols, rifles, carbines, and shotguns.    But oh no, the statistics say we must be violent criminals because we own guns. Crap.  "
Just because your family won't shoot anyone else, doesn't mean no one else will. Why the fuck do you need 10 firearms? No one needs guns to protect themselves. Protect themselves from what?  Really. "
Criminals....?
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

No, that's just... urgh... no.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Baillie
@lamegame621: Criminals? I've never once encountered a 'criminal' with a gun. Maybe it's different over there with your absolutely stupid gun laws, but here in the UK it is very rare. 
Are you just going to shoot someone who comes into your house? What if he's unarmed? 
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By warxsnake

baseball bat is good enough

Zaerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zaerus

No, period. Cops shouldn't even have them, they should be given more non-lethal weaponry. Nothing that actually kills.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By EvilDingo

I figure this is mostly a poll for Americans. 
I have a feeling us non-americans will throw off the result... 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EVO

Nah.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lamegame621
@Baillie said:
" @lamegame621: Criminals? I've never once encountered a 'criminal' with a gun. Maybe it's different over there with your absolutely stupid gun laws, but here in the UK it is very rare. Are you just going to shoot someone who comes into your house? What if he's unarmed?  "
lol i think there is some cultural disconnect here. You're very lucky to have never seen a criminal with a gun. As I understand it, knife crimes are more common over there. Criminals carry guns here. And yes, if they came in my house with a gun, I would shoot them IF it meant saving my life.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Evilsbane
@Baillie: 
The Department of Justice found that in 1989, there were 168,881 crimes of violence which were not responded to by police within 1 hour.  

Currently, there are about 150,000 police officers on duty at any one time to protect a population of more than 250 million Americans or almost 1,700 citizens per officer.

60% of felons polled agreed that "a criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun."

57% of felons polled agreed that "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."

Orlando, FL. In 1966-67, the media highly publicized a safety course which taught Orlando women how to use guns. The result: Orlando's rape rate dropped 88% in 1967, whereas the rape rate remained constant in the rest of Florida and the nation.

That is why, not to mention keeping the government Afraid of the people once that is lost its a slippery slope to something bad.  
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By luce

idiots should not own guns

unfortunately most of us are idiots

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VWGTI

Yes, I have serveral guns and will use them to protect myself if necessary. It is our right as Americans to own them.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By danielkempster
@jinxman said:
" @sdauz said:
you sir, are wrong  actual scientific studies show that countries with more widespread gun ownership actually have less violent crimes as compared to countries with less gun ownership.  BAM  "
Point me in the direction of one of these scientific studies, would you? 

Along with the right to privately own vehicles, the invention of firearms is one of the worst things to happen to the human race. Guns serve no practical purpose in society that could not be served by other means, and nobody should own one.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Evilsbane
@Baillie: Am I just going to shoot someone if they come Into My House? No I going to blow his damn head off my family is a hell of alot more important than shooting some scum criminal that comes in my house once you cross that threshold your in my house now the gloves are off. I don't mean to sound cold but yes if someone invades my house I have a right to defend myself and a gun is the best way to do that.
belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By belaraphon

i vote yes with restrictions.

the major problem i see is that the possibility of owning a gun means you could potentially use that gun to harm others.  all weapons are a responsibility of the holder, knives and other stabbing weapons, explosives. do i have faith in a majority of humanity to peacefully coexist with weapons? yes. do i fully trust everyone to morally carry something as lethal as a firearm? absolutely not.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dagas

Guns are for wimps. Every man should have a T-72 tank in their garage.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72 Can be bought in Eastern Europe for the prize of a new car.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By eroticfishcake

In a country that has never advocated for the use of firearms I would say no by all means. Even though I love guns for the technology behind them I just can't trust anyone with a gun at all. Gun crimes in Ireland have raised over the past two years but they've died down for the time being. Although a very select few police members use guns most are only used for high security measures. I think they're using tasers (tazers or tasars?) now.

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By monkey523

How many criminals do you think are going to mug someone who is visibly carrying a gun?

Jaxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jaxboy

Outlawing any goods or services simply results in a black market for said goods or services - drugs being the prime example.  There is already a black market for the types of guns already outlawed.  Does anyone really think outlawing guns (considering this point as well as the number of guns already out there) will prevent criminals from acquiring them?

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Renahzor

These topics are always a bit amusing on a forum with such international presence.  

Yes, I have the right to own a firearm, and yes, I have friends who are collectors or enthusiasts who have more firearms than I've cared to count.  Responsible gun ownership and the proper respect for them has been part of my life as long as I can really remember.  A big cultural difference i suppose.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Red

You can either go the way of everyone having them, or no one having them. I'd rather the protection against zombies, but that's just me.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By delta_ass

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deadmonkeys

Obligatory:

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Burns098356GX

No, because I dont believe that most of the population, especially those in the US, are mentally-sane enough to own something like that.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Pie

No, no and no never stupid idea paranoid idots NEVER!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PureRok

I don't think people should be allowed to own guns, even though I enjoy using a gun. I think people would have a much better time using swords, knives, and bows.

I may be biased because of my skill at using a bow...

Edit: For anyone who saw my original post, ignore what I said. I wasn't paying attention.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GunnBjorn

There are many people out there that are mentally and/or emotionally unsound, and they most definitely should not have firearms in their possession. 
But yeah, it's hard to discern people's intention. 
And to ask for a doctor's declaration of mental health goes too far. 
You can easily illegaly obtain a weapon anyway. 
Let it be said, i don't like guns (for real). 
Other than officers of the law, noone should wield one. 
And even they, if they are sincere, hope they never have to use lethal force throughout their career.
bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bombHills
@Bioderm said:
"No you don't need a gun police is there for that. I live in canada and I have never wanted one or feel the need for one "

You want to rely on the police for protection? Ever consider that you might need protection from the police?
monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By monkey523
@GunnBjorn said:
" There are many people out there that are mentally and/or emotionally unsound...
...Other than officers of the law, noone should wield one. "
What makes you think that police are somehow exempt from mental/emotional instability?
Ever heard of corruption? Police brutality?