Do you think Windows 10 crashes surprisingly often?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Do you think Windows 10 crashes surprisingly often? (159 votes)

Yes 9%
No 71%
Not anymore than the previous couple iterations (W7, 8) 14%
Something something Mac 3%
Poll 3%

Idk if it’s just me but Windows 10 crashes on me, like once, maybe twice a week.

Is this something you guys experince too?

• 
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

Full-on crashes? No.

Weird interactions, absolutely. I can sometimes look up a program or file in File Explorer and the next time I search for it, it doesn't show up.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By FacelessVixen

Windows Explorer sometimes likes to act like a scratchy voiced teen that's trying to ask a girl out for the first time, but that's about it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

Only had a couple of full on crashes (which I'll say is more than I've had with most Windows versions since 2000, but not enough to call them regularly), only seen one actual bluescreen, but the underlying "windows universal app" infrastructure that they've based way too much of the UI and system crticial apps on has been incredibly unstable for me.

On one of my PCs I could only get updates to install by running command line stuff, on my current main PC it's mostly just those apps taking eternity to load (sometimes I try to load the weather app when I get up in the morning, give up on it, go to work an hour later, and then see it load when I get home in the evening).

The activity center, desktop and start menu also become unresponsive a couple of times a month, and their automatic DPI scaling messing things up daily. How I wish they would just let the user select font and UI scaling again like they did in Windows 7. Up until Windows 8 and 10 I literally never, over almost 30 years of using Windows, ever encountered any text scaling problems, but now it's pretty much all the time.

I definitely think Windows 10 may be the worst version of Windows I've had to deal with so far, and I've used Vista and 8 (missed out on Me though).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

I honestly can't recall the last time my PC full crashed or even had any serious technical issues. For me Win 10 has been the most stable version of Windows I ever used and certainly a far cry from the horrific days of building PC's on Windows 98. When I decided to upgrade to an SSD the transition from one install to another was so fast and seamless that I was quite honestly astonished. This is of course all anecdotal and my experience isn't going to mirror anyone else's, but I haven't had any major issues really apart from Microsoft making very strange decisions about how they handle things. Just recently they announced that the Xbox Companion App is being discontinued and getting rolled into the Game Pass app, but the two seem to serve very different purposes so it's once again taking steps backwards in usability for the sake of uniformity in the app space.

I understand Windows is a lot less compliant for "power users" or just not casual folks like myself that browse the net, play a game sometimes and use photo editing software. For network engineers and general IT the "user friendly" facade of Windows 10 is a real hindrance.

failburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I honestly can't recall the last time my PC full crashed or even had any serious technical issues.

Same here, well, I know the last time, but that's because I accidentally kicked my tower getting out of my chair and it blue screened. But outside of percussive maintenance 10 has been rock solid in my experience on some relatively aged hardware. Windows sound controls continue to be a nightmare, but I'm really pretty satisfied with 10 overall.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ghost_cat

I have never had a crash on win 10, and it's been generally pretty good to me, coming from win 7 and OSX. The only thing I found confusing was how admin access to files, or how user-level access to files works (compare to win 7). Hell, I've had a better time with Premier Pro and After Effects on win 10 than on OSX.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My work PC runs on Windows 10 and while I wouldn't say it hard crashes, it is often painfully slow, particularly on startup. When I opened Task Manager, it would pop-up with "System Interrupts" that were taking up like 98% of the memory, even though there would be nothing actually running.

I eventually traced the problem to Teams and once I switched that off as a startup item, things got better. It's still by no means great, though. At least a couple of times a week it'll just hang trying to open a Word document.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have also never had a crash on Win 10, nor have I really had any issues to speak of compared to previous versions of Windows. It's all around been pretty nice.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It has some funky issues (I love that they STILL haven't fixed windows randomly having Always On Top properties), but other than that, it's been good to me. It's not my favorite Windows, but after jumping from Vista to 7 to 10, it beats those all to hell.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can count on Win10 crashing out at least twice a month. MacOS doesn't crash near as often but it's still not great. Chrome OS never crashes but i'm not doing video production on a chromebook (yet?)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know that I've ever had an outright crash of any sort.

Definitely some weird interactions here and there, usually involving the task manager.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Force-quitting apps and a few games here and there is a problem I need to solve by using the literal physical reset button on my case, but I currently feel 10 has been more reliable for me than 7 or 8. Altho 8 was just bad just sayin.

quasiconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By quasiconundrum

Nah, in my experience it's been very stable. Can't recall it ever crashing.

I don't know what your setup is like, but you're crashing once or twice a week? Sounds like Windows might not be your problem.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah you have something wrong on your system. Maybe try a memory test, or check your cpu to make sure it isn't overheating.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In the early days of Win10 i had a bunch of taskbar issues and had to basically start over from scratch to get things working again. But the last few years have been very stable for me.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my system has remained extremely stable- i can remember seeing the sad face maybe 2 or 3 times since i got win10 in 2015. the only consistent issue i get is some UI elements disappear from time to time (start menu icons, blank notifications, etc). but a quick refresh usually recovers everything.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's almost assuredly less than 98SE/ME/XP/Vista, but the stakes seem higher now that most PC programs work flawlessly, aren't pushing systems to the limits, have UPNP connecrivity, etc.

So when W10 crashes it's almost untraceable/inexplicable; never a known easy fix found in official troubleshooting dialogs, never from a virus or adware, never from some recent setting you changed or recent app you installed.

It's kinda jarring now in the way a PS3/360 game crashing is.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Mine doesn't...but that doesn't say much I suppose.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RobertForster

No. Windows has much better memory protection than it used too. So, one faulty program won’t crash the whole computer anymore.

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have badly written code crash all the time but windows 10 itself is good enough now that I switched back from Mac recently and been happy. Your mileage will very depending on how recently you refreshed your hardware and your install. SSD’s seem pretty stable so far this is my first windows machine with one installed and it has been great.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I've had very few, and as far as I can remember they were all caused by hardware problems.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't have outright crashes, but I do have tons of jank with Windows 10, from Windows update causing issues and continually reinstalling drivers I told it specifically not to install (every update I have to manually install Logitech drivers for my racing wheel because Windows overwrites them with the wrong drivers), to general weirdness (sometimes if my PC has been on for more than a day, certain programs will stop working correctly like the Battlenet launcher) and often I am basically forced to restart several times a week to fix these problems. It's not a huge issue overall but it is annoying because I never had any of these problems with Windows 7. I also find it frustrating when they do things like change layouts of menus in updates. I've seen stuff in the Settings menu change without notice, which isn't great since that entire menu is a labyrinthine mess to begin with, and since it has different functionality than Control Panel, I can't just ignore like I do with most other Windows 10 apps.

Meanwhile I have multiple Macs running that have about a month of uptime each without needing a restart. I only ever restart them for updates. MacOS has its issues, but I can't fault how stable it is these days. That couldn't be said in the early days of MacOS Catalina though so it's more of a testament to how quickly they fix issues when they pop up (for example I had a consistent crash when hooking my laptop to a certain display with certain software running. This issue was introduced with Catalina. They fixed it fairly quickly).

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only current issue with Win10 is that my PC wakes up from sleep sometimes even though I'd changed all the power settings to not do that. I'm sure it's related to updates and bugs.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had to reboot my PC from updates more so than from crashes since Windows 10. I did have odd problems messing with AMD graphic settings that would need a reboot. Outright lockups and crashes have been very rare, just like Windows 7.

No Caption Provided

My computer uptime is 6 days and that's because it wanted to restart for an update and I was going to do something else anyway.

The Fisher-Price UI aside Windows 10 has been pretty good to me. I did install a third party start menu.

Mortimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where my Linux poll-option at?