• 131 results
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mikewrestler5

I was watching this video on YouTube. She complains about her job and says how it's our duty to compensate for the low pay by tipping her. I don't agree.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuCTR

Even if it's the worst service ever, as long as I don't have to get out of my seat I always tip, and you should too. Tipping is a cornerstone of the job like she says, and although she goes a bit overboard, it doesnt change the fact that most people tip. Effectively making it the "normal" practice.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

I always tip, because I'm a poor motherfucker and poor motherfuckers gotta watch out for other poor motherfuckers.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

In restaurants? Minimum 15%, if they do well 20%. I come from a family of restauranteurs, so I'm pretty adamant about my tipping practices. Gotta tip em. Unless they're like REALLY bad, like walk-out-of-the-restaurant bad. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, because that's not how things work up here. On the Moon, when you go to a restaurant, you pay for the cost of the meal. That's it. You only pay the waiter if you're in one of those sleazy strip restaurants.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Otogi

Why not?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

Tipping is an expected thing. On paper, I think the government's policy on the "tipped service" is fucked. Going out to eat is expensive. It usually costs me about $25-$30 for me and my lady to eat. Even a mere $5 tip makes my meal $35. That $5 can be used getting myself a better steak. Waiters who complain like this, should just work elsewhere. My friend works at Red Lobster, and usually walks out on Friday night with $200 for five hours of work. I get that sometimes people get fucked, and that sucks. 

I tip because I feel like an asshole for not doing so. But paying extra for waiters doing there job, seems kind of crazy. The Army doesn't tip me because I showed up that day. I get raises if I show exceptionable work ethic. I don't like walking into a place of business and worrying about the financial status of the people serving me.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mikewrestler5
@Haru48: 

Well, If I am going to tip, it's going to be about 1 cent. No joke.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

Always 20%, that's my rule no matter the service. And 99% of the time, the service is fine.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

FIrst:

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

Dan@Everyones_A_Critic said:

" FIrst:

"
Damn, that literally covered every single argument for/against tipping.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I agree with Joe Cabot. Nobody gives a shit what your views on tipping are. Just give a fucking tip. 

At least 15%

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm sure she took on this job knowing that not everyone tips or even tips 15%. I don't mind tipping, as long as the waiter is good.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By septim

I look at tipping as giving the waiters incentive to offer good service. I wouldn't want to be served food with the same attitude of a Wal Mart clerk or something.

I usually tip 20% but I can go higher or lower on quality. I also don't like waiters that are overly friendly, or worse, fake friendly.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august

If no one tipped, the employer would just have to roll the extra salary they would have to pay into the base cost of whatever goods you're being provided with. So you're gonna pay either way. This way gives an incentive for providing good service.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fearthephins

I usually tip, unless the service is disgusting.... then they will get a penny for their "hard work"

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By gingertastic_10

I always tip. 5bucks every time. Well, it depends on the bill.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By NathHaw
@septim said:

" overly friendly, or worse, fake friendly. "

BTW, I always tip.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By benjaebe

You always tip, it's just courtesy.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hosstile17

They pay waiters and waitresses damn near nothing, (well below minimum wage). They do they because you are supposed to tip. The bill says that you are supposed to. If you ever wonder why you get shit service, it is because the person knows you don't tip. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

i always tip, but if you werent the greatest... messed up my order, or were no where to be seen most of the time i give you a shitty tip. usually i tip the standard 15-20% but if the service was great i'll throw in a few dollars more. 

PooffBallzZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By PooffBallzZzZ

I tip if the waitress is polite and does her job.  If she ignores our table most of the time and doesn't smile once, she won't get a tip from me. 
I hate having to flag a waitress and ask for service.  "Where's my beer?!" 

and on that note... it depends on the establishment
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

Unless the service is terrible, I always tip.  And so far I've never come across a waitress or waiter that was so terrible at her or his job that I refused to tip them.

While it is true that some people may feel unjustly entitled to tips (they should be earned), to not tip someone that does a good job is rude.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By meteora

Yes, since waiters and waitresses have shitty wages. I pay normally 10-15%.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jmfinamore

They're wages  are low because owners expect their servers to be tipped. So in that case you have to tip, because they wage for doing their job is essentially that tip. 

Now, if we lived in a world where servers got normal wages, sure tipping wouldn't be necessary. 

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By DoctorTran

I usually tip twice whatever the tax is. But sometimes I don't tip at all if I don't have the cash.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By gamb1t
If they do there job right. 

im sorry but if u cant do something as simple as write down a order. you aint getten shit
Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Franstone

20% or more every time unless they really suck...  
Yes you should tip, if you don't believe so than you are a cheap prick. 

This girl is an annoying bitch by the way, I'd still tip her if she brought me food and drink though. 
As long as she doesn't talk to much, hah!
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By chstupid

I always tip even if they suck.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By artofwar420

Yes for two reasons: 

1. Politeness 
2. So they don't poop/cum on my food/drinks

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By cstrang

Waitresses deserve a tip, almost regardless of quality of service.  Of course, the amount of time correlates directly with the quality of service.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrfizzy

There are some really annoying things about living in Australia but i am really happy that we dont have to worry about tipping people. Here we have a much higher minimum wage so you really only tip id A) the service was really AMAZING or B) you simply feel sorry for the person coz of their job. Hence, i tip taxi drivers and pizza delivery guys. no one else. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

In the U.S., yes. In Japan, no.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By YoThatLimp

Fuck any cheap cunt who doesn't tip, my mother was a waitress for years while support our family. Now that I have money, I tip like a fucking boss. 

...well I have not tipped twice in my life and that was because the service was ridiculous. Normally I tip 35-40% of a bill anywhere I go whether its a 15$ breakfast or a $400 dinner.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cnlmullen

Yeah, I'm generally a good tipper.  

But I hate concept of tipping. So much is unwritten, I'd rather just pay 20% more and not have to think about it.

The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Painted

I tip unless the waiter/waitress is a complete dick.

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Praab_NZ

I live in New Zealand, where people get paid fair amounts of money. Tipping does not occur, yay!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Oldirtybearon

It's shitty that the government taxes tips, but that's really not my fault. I shouldn't be expected to carry the restaurant's weight in paying these people's salaries. 

That said, I still tip. Last time I got shitfaced with my friends, I tipped our server $30.00 because we were loud, annoying, obnoxious, and she still put up with our shit. I think the total bill for the beer was $80.00. 

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By elbon

I don't tip I'm Irish

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Servers in restaurants make somewhere around $2.30 an hour here, and they're supposed to be compensated when they make less than the other $5.00 per hour in tips on a given night, but they're not - because the restaurant doesn't want to pay the extra wages. If you've never managed a crew before, you have no idea how hard it is to run labor so your store / restaurant can actually turn a profit. So the government, the store, and the server expect you to tip, and when you don't, you're only hurting the server - because the store will still run labor and the government will still tax the living hell out of her because she's a "tipped employee." That's because most servers around here don't have to report tips correctly, but the stores report that she made at least $5.00 per hour in tips, which she will be taxed on. Whether she made that or not. If it was a good night, chances are most of her tips will be electronic (credit cards / debit card transactions,) and will automatically be reported, so when she does have a good night, she's taxed more.

I personally work at Domino's, was a driver for 6 years and now I'm in management so I can save wear and tear on my car. It seems pizza delivery is a different beast than serving because people can just call the store and 30-45 minutes later, food shows up on their doorstep. It seems people like to tip the person bringing food to their door. But my drivers don't have to be on their feet all day running back and forth to a dozen different tables, waiting on you hand and foot for upwards of an hour.

Next time you go to a restaurant, look for the 6-tops and higher (6 or more people at a table.) A good server will do everything but give a lap dance to every one of them, no matter how rude or filthy they may be - and the rudest of customers will demand a lot. The server is doing it for the tip, and if the tip didn't exist and that was a straight up minimum wage job, you might as well order at the counter with a plastic tray because no one is going to want to serve most people for a measly minimum wage job when they can just as easily stand behind a counter at McDonalds and not have to wait on you hand and foot.

It's the same for pizza delivery. If my drivers didn't get tipped, they would quit - or their cars would blow up and the measly $1 they get for gas per delivery and the $7.30 per hour they get wouldn't come close to fixing the average $500 worth of damage the car takes every month. And God help them if they hit a deer.

That all said, poor service should not be tipped. Average service should get an average tip, and perfect service should get the most you're willing to give. Most people working in the service job will do anything for you to get that tip, and denying it of them just tells them that they might as well work in fast food because it's easier work for more money.

Edit: I do tip. A minimum of $5 for pizza delivery, and an average of 25% at a sit down place. I tip higher because I've been there, but I also know poor service when I see it, and will let them know why I'm not tipping.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By McGhee

Waiting tables is a really hard job, and delivering pizzas destroys your vehicle and is dangerous. If you don't tip these people then you are one of the lowest kinds of cheap scumbag.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fjordson

Of course I do. Anyone who doesn't is a real cunt.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jasta

15% everytime. (unless whoever served me was a complete cock.)

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Today we learn that the OP is a stingy bastard who should be ashamed of his miserliness. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Everyones_A_Critic: I was going to be disappointed if  I didn't see that at some point in this thread.
 Well done, sir.
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#46  Edited By Sin4profit

i generally always tip $5 cause i'm too drunk to do the math.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By yoshimitz707

Poor college student usually tips except for terrible service but poor college student feels his heart tearing every time he does.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I'm Australian so no I don't tip 
It's not my fault that your boss pays you so badly 
they should pay them better 
I pay for the meal, why do I have to pay more
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By beej

I absolutely tip, 20 percent usually although I drop it down a fair amount for awful service, which is something I've only done once. 

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

I generally tip.  I don't always tip well, but I usually base my tips on service, using 15% as a baseline.  If a waiter/waitress does everything they're supposed to (including keeping my tea glass full ... that's actually the big thing for me), then I tip about 15%.  If they're pleasant to talk to and generally friendly, I round up to the nearest dollar (which usually bumps the tip up to about 18 or 20%).  I once tipped a girl 50% just to see what would happen (she sat down to talk to me the next time I went in -- that was pretty cool, although I didn't know where to go from there because I hadn't thought this experiment out very well).

Basically, the servers don't really work for the establishment, they work for you.  Personally, I think the servers should be paid by the restaurant, and I'm also bitter at the number of places that circumvent minimum wage by setting out a "tips" jar that nobody tips into.