Do You Tip If You Order Food for Pickup (Not Delivery)?

• 90 results
afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do You Tip If You Order Food for Pickup (Not Delivery)? (589 votes)

Yes, I tip the same amount as if I'd eaten at the restaurant and received decent service. 4%
Yes, but I tip less than I would have if I'd eaten at the restaurant 15%
No 72%
Show me the results 10%

Hey duders, quick question for you. Once or twice a week, my schedule won't allow me to cook for myself/properly dine out (or I just won't feel like it), so I'll call in an order for a meal. The places I frequent the most are either outside delivery range, won't deliver the amount of food I order, or simply don't deliver, so I'll place my order for pickup. After getting to the restaurant and paying with my credit card, they'll give me a copy of the receipt to sign, complete with the standard blank tip line. I used to just not tip without thinking anything of it because I'm not sitting down in the venue and being served by another person, but the more I frequent certain places, the more I get the feeling that maybe I should be leaving a few bucks, especially if I'm ordering from these places more than once or twice a month, but I'm not sure. I realize that there is already at least one thread dedicated to tipping on delivery, but I'm curious what you duders' tipping habits are when you're picking up the food yourselves. Please tell me how I should be living my adult life and treating other people :)

• 
Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Do you tip a bag boy/girl at the grocery store? Seems like the same concept to me. And I wouldn't tip them.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

If I pick up food at a place that's normally eat-in and waited by people, I usually tip a dollar, regardless of how much the thing actually costs

@sterling said:

Do you tip a bag boy/girl at the grocery store? Seems like the same concept to me. And I wouldn't tip them.

For you, it's the same. But restaurant servers workers get paid way less than minimum wage, so they rely on tips to live. It's a shitty system, but it's not their fault it's like that

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r

Nah. You tip the delivery person and the wait staff because they bring you your food. If you have to go get it yourself, there's no one to tip. You don't tip the cook or the person who took the order, if you did you'd be tipping at fast food places. I mean...unless you do actually tip at fast food places. I don't.

In the last I dunno 4 or 5 years I've seen the option to tip at places where I've never tipped before though, like ice cream parlors. I think that's weird. I want less tipping and eventually no tipping, not more tipping.

Down with tipping. Pay your staff properly, businesses.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where are people not making minimum wage? Around here that's not possible. If the wage and tips aren't minimum wage the employer pays until it is.

And no, I'm not tipping for that. I'm already paying for my food.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadow said:

If I pick up food at a place that's normally eat-in and waited by people, I usually tip a dollar, regardless of how much the thing actually costs

@sterling said:

For you, it's the same. But restaurant servers workers get paid way less than minimum wage, so they rely on tips to live. It's a shitty system, but it's not their fault it's like that

So I should help pay their wages for placing items into a bag. Which took like 30 seconds of their time?

Also not all restaurant workers get terrible wages. That is a myth. As someone who worked in restaurants for over a decade of my life, I never once made less than minimum. And I always made more than enough to support myself without tips. But that is probably more down to the state worked/lived in than anything else. Not every state allows you to pay your wait staff under minimum wage. And generally a good reliable cook gets paid more than the other workers. At least that was always my experience.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Substance_D

@sterling said:

Yeah, that bag boy prepared and cooked your food on demand just like the restaurant employee...

No wonder service industry people have such a hard time making a living.

Just because a waiter wasn't waiting on you doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. Most of these service jobs pay them less than minimum wage and make up for that difference with tips. If you're too lazy to make your own food, then don't be too lazy to tip someone a few bucks for making it for you.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

Used to work at a sandwich shop for just barely above minimum wage. We'd be slammed for lunch (line out the door) but barely anyone tipped. By the time my shift ended we were only allowed one employee discount (a whopping 10%) for one food item which usually ate up all of my tips, all $5.

Mind you this lunch rush was usually packed with regulars. These were people who were in at least once a week, often times ordering for themselves and other employees, and rarely tipped.

So if I notice an employee working hard, providing good service, and generally doing a good job I tip.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Yeah, that bag boy prepared and cooked your food on demand just like the restaurant employee...

Just because a waiter wasn't waiting on you doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. Most of these service jobs pay them less than minimum wage and make up for that difference with tips. If you're too lazy to make your own food, then don't be too lazy to tip someone a few bucks for making it for you.

I guess I can't argue with that flawless logic.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ChrisTaran

My friend does this (tip w/pickup) when I get food with her and I find it infuriating. I used to be a waiter and if someone wanted to tip me for them picking up their food I'd think they had a few screws loose.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not as much as I would normally, but yeah.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By amafi

@substance_d said:

@sterling said:

They're paying for the food though, right? To some organization that supposedly pays the waiter? If there's systematic abuse of wait staff by the service industry that sounds like it ought to be solved with new legislation, not mandatory tipping.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

@substance_d said:

@sterling said:

They're paying for the food though, right? To some organization that supposedly pays the waiter? If there's systematic abuse of wait staff by the service industry that sounds like it ought to be solved with new legislation, not mandatory tipping.

So you're expecting the US government to help out poor people?

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Absolutely not. I tip somebody for bringing food to me and keeping my drink full. What the hell would I be tipping for if I pick up the food myself and take it home?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I am not in America so it isn't a done thing.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: How much is minimum wage? Surely for making sandwiches you wouldn't expect anything more? Why tip on top of that?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amafi

@substance_d said:
@amafi said:

@substance_d said:

@sterling said:

I expect people who are outraged about the poor treatment of wait staff to do something about it other than trying to shame people who don't tip or share pro tipping memes on facebook, because that's a really shitty non-solution to something that sounds like a serious problem. There surely must be someone in all of the US running on a platform of raising minimum wage to a level where a person could reasonably live off it? At least on the local level? Are there no unions these poor wretches can join to put pressure on their employers?

Because having to rely on strangers willingly paying a service surcharge for them putting some shitty fast food in a paper bag for fucking pickup sounds like a TERRIBLE strategy for making a living.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, it depends on the place. There's this Vietnamese spot by my place that makes everything to order and just about everything from scratch, and it's superb. They always give us a ton of food and have given us plenty of free/extra egg rolls or Vietnamese wings in the past. If I have the money, I'm more than happy to put in the 15-20% even if I'm picking it up.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, it all depends on the circumstances. If I am driving there, going in, and picking up my food, no, I will not tip. However, if I am taking advantage of the carside-to-go option that has become popular by many chain restaurants, I will generally tip a little for the convenience of them bringing it to my car. Not the same as I would for full service, but usually at least a few bucks.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FinalDasa  Moderator

@finaldasa: How much is minimum wage? Surely for making sandwiches you wouldn't expect anything more? Why tip on top of that?

At the time minimum wage was around $7.25 an hour. We were purposefully left at short shifts, no more than 3-5 hours, and we split tips. So while I was working hard another employee could slack off and get an equal cut.

I didn't expect every costumer to tip. But for the repeat customers, or those who put in very large orders, I expected my repeated work to be rewarded in some way.

Also minimum wage is below the poverty line in the US. So it really isn't a lot of money by any stretch.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@substance_d: The waiter didn't make the food though. The waiter serves people, and if I wasn't served why should I tip? By your logic people should be going around to restaurants they aren't eating at and giving them money because they need it. I am all for tipping for when a service is provided to me but if I am doing the work of going and getting it then they aren't providing a service.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: See, to me, that sounds like the sort of thing there should be violent protests in the street over. Having a large part of the population having to rely on what is basically handouts is a really bad solution for that problem, especially since there are a lot of minimum wage jobs the public feel fine about not tipping.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Milkman

@maginnovision: A lot of bus boys in restaurants get paid less than minimum wage. They're not official employees of the restaurant ("off the books" is the terminology I've always heard) so they're under no obligation to get paid minimum wage. When I was a bus boy in high school, I got paid a flat rate of 20 bucks for about an 8 hour shift and then the rest would be from tips. When it was really busy, this could turn out to be a pretty decent amount but on slow nights, I definitely walked away with less than minimum wage.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

@finaldasa: See, to me, that sounds like the sort of thing there should be violent protests in the street over. Having a large part of the population having to rely on what is basically handouts is a really bad solution for that problem, especially since there are a lot of minimum wage jobs the public feel fine about not tipping.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/12/24/15-minimum-wage/77889534/

This has been something going on for a while, at least the $15/hour minimum wage was a major ordeal in the Seattle area. While I can certainly see your logic, there are many people who fear the loss of their job due to any protests they may take part in.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FinalDasa  Moderator

@amafi: This was one store run by a less-than-stellar owner. Not the company as a whole. And it's part of the reason I eventually left.

And there is a movement for a much higher, nearly double, minimum wage.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi: The reality is that what you propose is a slow, slow solution to a problem that has existed for a very long time. People have been fighting a livable minimum wage with all of their might out of what I can only assume is jealousy. "Why should that TGIF employee make as much as me when I went to college!" That said, there are politicians proposing that sort of thing, but it's a long uphill battle before the general population will actually see anything for it. If an employee makes $30 or more per month in tips, a restaurant can pay that person a wage of almost half of the minimum wage (check here to see how fucked up it is in your state). Consider an employee who is taking night classes or has kids and can only work weekday shifts where most of the orders are takeout. There's a lot of situations where people take what jobs they can get because of the bullshit 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' mentality in this country. The phrase is literally an analogy of something impossible. Why the hell would we be proud to live in a place that makes it miserable for the less fortunate? "You're homeless? Why don't you go get a job!" So the demand for these sort of jobs is always going to be higher than the supply. Employers have absolutely no incentive to make that wage better because $2.13 (the federal required tipped wage) is better than nothing. I don't think it's a lot to ask to throw an extra buck or two next time you're splurging on fucking hot wings.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By amafi

@milkman: that's $2.5 base pr hour. Could you not make more than that picking recycleables up off the streets? Jesus. That's less than I demanded pr hour mowing lawns when I was like 12, in 91.

@hatking:But that is surely only making the problem worse? That's like putting new bandaids on a gaping fucking flesh wound. Won't work in the long run. And what about all the minimum wage workers in fields where for some reason people haven't decided it's ok to pay an extra 15-20% tax on the service because the US is some sort of 3rd world hellscape with no workers rights?

Maybe there should be some twitter slacktivist campaign to get people donating to those people too instead?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@amafi: Politicans have been pushing to raise the minimum wage, especially for fast food workers who don't get tips, for years now. I know buzzwords are fun but it's not "Twitter slacktivism."

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/10/455501103/push-for-15-minimum-wage-becoming-part-of-presidential-politics

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@amafi: Politicans have been pushing to raise the minimum wage, especially for fast food workers who don't get tips, for years now. I know buzzwords are fun but it's not "Twitter slacktivism."

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/10/455501103/push-for-15-minimum-wage-becoming-part-of-presidential-politics

Oh, I don't mean that that's what everyone's doing. I just imagine that if everyone I see on all the various forums I frequent actually involved themselves beyond going "people who don't tip are shitty" it'd be solved within a year, because I must have seen at least 40000 people post something like that over the last 20 years.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If they say something like the food will be ready in 20 minutes and it is, I tip. If I have to wait for it then no.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Mom & Pop restaurant with takeout, I tip at 15%. Pizza place or deli with counter or takeout, tip 10%. Coffee shop tip 5% for coffee or food at most. Hot Dog cart...loose change. Fast food chain....nothing....although, the likely are the MOST in need of a tip.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tip 2 bucks usually. anything to add to the tip pool for the workers. I wouldn't fret if some people don't.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't tip for pick up most the time. However if I have cash on me I try and put something in the tip jar if they have one.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It depends on the place and how much the food costs. Because I still do a lot of my spending with cash, it's more convenient for me to just round up and give a tip than get exact change.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

@substance_d said:

@sterling said:

I think we expect minimum wage to be enforced.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, and for the love of God I wish the tipping structure in America could be bulldozed to the ground and adopt the European model. Basically, pay everyone a fair wage and not rely on tips as a way to supplement their pay. It used to be only servers and certain other service jobs like valets, bellhops, etc. Now everyone has their tip jar out and it's irritating as all hell.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes, I have before as I was feeling randomly generous.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Strife777

You know, this thread is making me realise that tipping is really weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm a generous tipper, but when and why did we decide some people get tips, others not? If it has to do with wage, shouldn't I tip everyone with minimum wage? If some jobs' minimum wage is lower because or gratuities, isn't that an effect rather than a cause, i.e. we decided to tip them, so they get lower wage vs they have lower wages, so we tip them to compensate? If it has to do with service, what defines service exactly?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only for small businesses where I know the person I'm tipping had a bigger hand in the process than just handing me food. Just a little "I support this service you provide and would like to see it continue" premium.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@strife777 said:

You know, this thread is making me realise that tipping is really weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm a generous tipper, but when and why did we decide some people get tips, others not? If it has to do with wage, shouldn't I tip everyone with minimum wage? If some jobs' minimum wage is lower because or gratuities, isn't that an effect rather than a cause, i.e. we decided to tip them, so they get lower wage vs they have lower wages, so we tip them to compensate? If it has to do with service, what defines service exactly?

Loading Video...

(Kidding, but my god it's like you copied that post directly from the Reservior Dogs screenplay.)

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waitstaff and delivery people get paid jack shit outside of tips, so their wages depend on it. Ordering food and picking it up myself involves neither of them outside of a phone call to take my order, so i'll leave the loose change in the transaction but that's about it.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wjb

It depends on the takeout, I guess. I don't really do this, but if I'm getting a few orders for people from a restaurant, I'll tip. If it's just a typical takeout place for myself, probably not.

@kevin_cogneto: I was about to roll my eyes when I saw that embed! Haha.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO

taig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely tip for take out. If I showed up to where the food is prepared paid and take it elsewhere to eat isn't that a fair transaction? I work nights alone in a hotel, so I put out fires and move heaven and earth for people every day, and I have only ever once gotten a tip when it could be said to be socially acceptable but not required. I never pressure anyone into feeling like they need to tip me.

There isn't a social obligation to tip for take out. The entire shame side of tipping is so repugnant. Tipping without obligation is wonderful and appreciated but don't let anyone shame you for not following their unwritten etiquette. You certainly aren't lazy for not tipping.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Strife777

@kevin_cogneto: Haha! I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I wasn't sure if I was making the same point as he was.

To be fair! Unlike him, I'm fine with tipping. I just realise the "etiquette" around it is somewhat strange.

Edit: and I don't know how to play violin, big or small.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I'll tip if it's a small local place. But if I'm getting takeout at a chain place? Nope.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

To answer the OP's question: no I don't tip if I simply called the order in and am picking it up to go.

Getting into the discussion on tipping in general, there was a story recently about a SF restaurant that tried to eliminate tipping and ended up bringing it back: http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/19/pf/no-tipping-reversed-bar-agricole-trou-normand/

If you don't want to read it the gist is that food prices were raised 20% but the waitstaff still ended up taking a pay cut because they were making more in tips than the 20% increase covered. Granted this is a higher end restaurant than your national chains or mom and pops but it does bring up an interesting situation. Anecdotally I have also known servers at busy local restaurants who have made 1.5-2x more than minimum wage thanks to tips. Raising everyone's wages and eliminating tipping seems like a no-brainer at first glance but it doesn't actually mean that servers across the board will be better off.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok cool. These results are making me feel much better about my decision to not tip in these scenarios. I guess for me a lot of my doubts on this matter come from feeling like I'm "expected" to tip when I go out for food, even if I'm being served. Though I guess I'm sort of assuming that the tip would go to the person who prepared my food in an ideal world, but that's probably not the case...

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So most people that I've known where I live who work in the food service industry have mandatory "tip out". The servers make minimum wage however they usually tip out 5%-10% of the bill. So bussers, host/hostesses, etc. get tipped as well. The problem I hear arrises when no tip is received, the server has to pay the percentage into the pool ($20 bill, $2 has to be in the pool) so no tip means the server literally pays your tip.

I don't know how take out is done though, I hope it's not counted into the pool.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

Ok cool. These results are making me feel much better about my decision to not tip in these scenarios. I guess for me a lot of my doubts on this matter come from feeling like I'm "expected" to tip when I go out for food, even if I'm being served. Though I guess I'm sort of assuming that the tip would go to the person who prepared my food in an ideal world, but that's probably not the case...

If you ask people, "Hey, do you do this thing that's technically optional but something people are expected to do because we live in a civil society?" and get a lot of responses reinforcing your belief, that doesn't necessarily mean you're doing the right thing.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain