Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By thornie_delete

@Example1013 said:

@thornie said:

@laserbolts: I have no problem with people who practice their religion quietly and keep to themselves. It is of course their right to do so. I have learned it's impossible to argue on matters of faith, because a religious person will always counter fact with something that can't be disproved. My intention is not pose an argument but to engage in a discussion. I can never prove to you or anyone else that God doesn't exist, you have to come that conclusion on your own which is why I provided a list of books on the topic.

I disagree with you that religious people do not preach to non-believers. The entire backbone of Christianity is evangelism, or spreading the Gospel. Religion is one more thing the pulls us apart as a species, and it has done so for centuries. It's the strongest enabler of anti-intellectualism, and it has always acted as an agent of regression. Religion itself is an enemy to reason, sanity, and thwarts our progression as a species.

I understand not everyone is compelled to seek the answers of how and why the universe works the way it does, nor do I expect everyone to have the courage to deny the only way of life they have ever known. My point is that we are fortunate enough to live in an age where we KNOW why our planet revolves around the sun, we KNOW how life actually came to be on this planet, and we know of the existence of billions and billions of galaxies. I know that there are philosophical questions that science cannot answer, but IMO God(s) doesn't do much of a better job of answering those either. There are plenty of writings by agnostic/humanist philosophers that handle that quite well. Again, be happy we don't live in the Dark Ages anymore where just having this conversation would end in one of us (me) getting stoned to death.

I know this is almost 5 days old, but I'd hate for some kid to come along and think you actually know what the fuck you're talking about. "Always acted as an agent of regression". Yeah, that's why the modern university system is founded on the colleges established by the Catholic Church in the middle of the "Dark Ages". The fact that you use that term demonstrates willful ignorance to any serious knowledge of just European history of the past 900 years, as most academics stopped calling them the Dark Ages around 15 years ago, seeing as they managed to find writing from there, whose absence was the reason for the name "Dark Ages" in the first place.

Religions have historically been the strongest facilitators of learning and study. Much of modern thought, especially in regard to critical thinking and education, dates back to monks such as Thomas Aquinas, who was a Catholic scholar alive about 900 years ago. He helped found this little thing called "scholasticism", which is the groundwork on which all post-secondary education is built. Catholic churches on college campuses are still named after Thomas Aquinas. I could go further and discuss others who furthered his ideas, or I could even switch to different cultures and time periods, but why bother? I'm sure someone who's "studied religion" as seriously as you have knows about the Protestant idea that the Bible is meant to be learned, and that for centuries the Bible was the book people used to learn reading in Protestant countries, along with numerous other examples.

Maybe it'd be a bit more interesting, relevant, and accurate to discuss how such a dichotomy can exist within humanity, where religion can be such a broad unifier, and also such a large divider, where it can further the world for so much good, and set the world back with so much evil. Maybe it'd be more useful to reflect on what that says of humanity in general, instead of oversimplifying likely the most complex philosophical and cultural topic of all time while also demonizing it and downplaying very large portions of the subject that stand in counter to your stated position.

I tried to be civil, but it looks like it's impossible to have intelligent discussion without people throwing the word "fuck" around and resorting to childish insults. I don't have nearly the time or energy to deconstruct your arguments, but I will say that my use of the term "Dark" ages was not some veiled allusion to the lack "civility" during the era, it was simply a misnomer on my part. I often use interchangeably with "Middle Ages" and I certainly did not expect to have my academic knowledge called out on it's behalf... I digress...

Religion as Facilitator of Learning and Progress?

- Galileo was condemned by the church for daring to challenge the ridiculous idea the Earth was the center of the Universe. I suggest reading Chapter III of A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom by Andrew Dickson White (former president of History and Cornell University). Here I've even linked it for you... http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/White/astronomy/victory-church.html

- As diz stated above Girodano Bruno was burned at the stake for essentially having the view that Sun was a star amongst many other "crimes" against the Church, such as suggesting that maybe the Virgin Mary wasn't a Virgin?

What about the years during the Black Death? Religious fervor spread all of over Europe, it was even suggested that Jews were poisoning the wells. Are you even familiar with the mass killings and burning of Jews in hopes that God would spare Christians from the plague? I suggest you read the following essay on the matter before you continue to defend your position as religion being an enabler of intellectual progress... From Fordham University, link: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/jewish/1348-jewsblackdeath.asp

On your point about the Bible being read and studied. The Bible itself wasn't even available in the vernacular until the advent of printing press and Protestant Reformation. The Church controlled the distribution of the Bible for YEARS, until they couldn't do it anymore. A famous example of this practice is in 1079, Duke Vratislaus II of Bohemia asked Pope Gregory VII for permission to use Old Church Slavonic translations of the liturgy, to which Gregory did not consent. Pope Innocent III even went as far as having translations of the Bible burned in the diocese of Metz, France.

You mention Aquinas, what of his predecessors such as Augustine of Hippo who preached the denial of sexual expression? Masturbation "pollutes" the conscience of man he is famous for writing. If I have to explain to you how regressive it is to deny ones own sexual nature, then you are truly lost. Or how about the doctrine of Predestination? Why bother pursuing any knowledge or forward thinking if life on this Earth is only temporary and we are all predestined to either be saved or burn any way? Living is God's grace is all that matters. How is that NOT backward thinking?

While on the topic of Aquinas, I am always reminded of Hume's elegant rebuttal of Aquinas's "proofs" of God in the Summa Theoligica. Paraphrasing: 'There is no evidence for the universe being made and that we shouldn’t argue from causes within the universe to the cause of the universe. Just because things in the universe have a cause doesn’t mean that the universe as a whole has a cause.'.

More recently, what about Stem Cell research or cloning? Who opposes these things and why? The religious right does, because it's unethical to play "God". Really? So we'll thwart potential major advances in medical science, because it goes against your religious beliefs?

Your point is that the Church facilitates intellectualism and thinking because they built Universities around their faith. It is a testament to the humanist and secularist movement that we have been pulled kicking and screaming into the modern age where such Universities can no longer fire professors for teaching ideas that go against the beliefs of the governing bodies of such Universities. Oh wait... That's right in 1967 Charles Curran was fired from CUA for his views on birth control and contraception. In 1989 he filed suit and lost. The courts claiming that it was in the schools rights to fire Curran. Or the case of the great Bertrand Russell, dismissed from his teaching position because of views on religion. Which brings me to my last point... How can free inquiry exist in an institution founded on faith?

SirSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By SirSuperior

No, I don't worship because I'm in the firm stance that God does not exist. I still wouldn't worship God if it were 100 per cent proven that he did exist, he's a massive bellend.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#203  Edited By Black_Rose

I worship Video_Game_King. 

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#204  Edited By nickux

NOPE

I am a very proud atheist.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Example1013

@thornie: Maybe you should take the time to "deconstruct" my "arguments", since all you've replied with to me so far is laughably bad strawman arguments that disprove nothing. You have literally not disproven one point I brought up. I'd venture this is because you didn't understand what I was getting at in the first place. But I get it, religion is very clearly a bane to society, and always has been, and has contributed nothing to human development. If there were no religion, there would be nothing to stop scientific progress, and the world would be a much better place.

I didn't resort to childish insults last post because I thought you might actually be willing to have a discussion about what I said. Instead you posted a string of anecdotes that in fact prove the point I was trying to make, but since you didn't get my point, you couldn't realize that.

Go fuck yourself.

No Caption Provided

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Marcsman

I worship godmoney
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#207  Edited By crusader8463

I have yet to meet, or learn of, anyone or thing that was worth worshipping.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#208  Edited By diz

@Example1013 said:

@thornie: Maybe you should take the time to "deconstruct" my "arguments", since all you've replied with to me so far is laughably bad strawman arguments that disprove nothing. You have literally not disproven one point I brought up. I'd venture this is because you didn't understand what I was getting at in the first place. But I get it, religion is very clearly a bane to society, and always has been, and has contributed nothing to human development. If there were no religion, there would be nothing to stop scientific progress, and the world would be a much better place.

I didn't resort to childish insults last post because I thought you might actually be willing to have a discussion about what I said. Instead you posted a string of anecdotes that in fact prove the point I was trying to make, but since you didn't get my point, you couldn't realize that.

Go fuck yourself.

No Caption Provided

Not into Leviticus 11:4, then?

@thornie: Wasn't that a depressingly predictable conclusion?

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#209  Edited By Hellstrom

I'm a godless atheist heathen.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By thornie_delete

@diz: Yes, yes it was. And with that, I'm tapping out of this thread.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Example1013

@diz: I'm not a very religious person. Tbh I didn't even read your post, I was replying to toolie. In response to your post: I'm not saying faith has a place in discussion of chemistry, or physics, or anatomy. I'm not saying one needs to discuss faith to discuss science, or that it's required to find scientific progress. I was very serious when I used the weather example. I'm saying faith has a place in discussion of humanity. It does. The overwhelming majority of people on this planet believe in a higher power, so whether or not said power exists, it belongs in the discussion, because it's had a very profound impact on how our species as a whole has progressed.

Humans act irrationally some of the time. This is a fact. You can't take that irrationality out of the discussion of humanity without ignoring something that is an integral part of the human experience. If we were purely rational beings, I would agree that faith (which is, in fact, irrational) has no no place in the discussion of what we are. That's really what I'm trying to say. Regardless of whether or not you believe in a higher power, you can't act as though that belief doesn't exist, nor can you act as though it's not a powerful force in many people's lives. Religion, like humanity, has high plateaus and deep valleys. Religion has facilitated great achievements, and great tragedies and crimes. Martin Luther led a revolution of religious thought within Western European Christianity that facilitated Rationalism and a focus on learning. He was also a raging anti-Semite (and that was, oddly enough, actually tied into his hubris that his faith was correct; quite ironic for a man who had such strong belief, and ostensibly sought to avoid the "seven deadly sins").

None of my posts in this thread have been made with the aim of discounting the bad things that have happened; rather I figured instead I'd highlight some of the better things that came out, to demonstrate that, on the whole, religion isn't simply a force for evil, and that in fact it's much more complicated than simple black-and-white, as are all human issues. I wanted to maybe get a little discussion going on how religion reflects on humanity as a whole. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough earlier.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everybody is wrong but me.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By diz

@Example1013 said:

@diz: I'm not a very religious person. Tbh I didn't even read your post, I was replying to toolie. In response to your post: I'm not saying faith has a place in discussion of chemistry, or physics, or anatomy. I'm not saying one needs to discuss faith to discuss science, or that it's required to find scientific progress. I was very serious when I used the weather example. I'm saying faith has a place in discussion of humanity. It does. The overwhelming majority of people on this planet believe in a higher power, so whether or not said power exists, it belongs in the discussion, because it's had a very profound impact on how our species as a whole has progressed.

Humans act irrationally some of the time. This is a fact. You can't take that irrationality out of the discussion of humanity without ignoring something that is an integral part of the human experience. If we were purely rational beings, I would agree that faith (which is, in fact, irrational) has no no place in the discussion of what we are. That's really what I'm trying to say. Regardless of whether or not you believe in a higher power, you can't act as though that belief doesn't exist, nor can you act as though it's not a powerful force in many people's lives. Religion, like humanity, has high plateaus and deep valleys. Religion has facilitated great achievements, and great tragedies and crimes. Martin Luther led a revolution of religious thought within Western European Christianity that facilitated Rationalism and a focus on learning. He was also a raging anti-Semite (and that was, oddly enough, actually tied into his hubris that his faith was correct; quite ironic for a man who had such strong belief, and ostensibly sought to avoid the "seven deadly sins").

None of my posts in this thread have been made with the aim of discounting the bad things that have happened; rather I figured instead I'd highlight some of the better things that came out, to demonstrate that, on the whole, religion isn't simply a force for evil, and that in fact it's much more complicated than simple black-and-white, as are all human issues. I wanted to maybe get a little discussion going on how religion reflects on humanity as a whole. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough earlier.

I did read your posts and thought your view of the rise of reason was not accurate. I can't see where you've provided any grounds at all for your belief about the importance (or even relevance) of all religions in determining scientific progress. I can only see where you've provided an argument ad-populem instead. (Did you know logical fallacies were first categorized by the Greeks?)

I accept humans act irrationally - after all, rationality is only a method for reaching certain important decisions. As a practicing agnostic-atheist myself, I could say I think religious people are not under a divine force - only that they think they are. Rather than being constructive to a debate on humanity, I see all the different religions as obstructing any rational discourse about morals and ethics, since their doctrinal views are absolute and necessarily oppose each other in many ways.

Your posts in this thread seemed worthy of a challenge - that you suggested scholasticism was invented far later than it actually was and wrongly attributed it to faith, the reformation was the primary cause of modern society, faith is a cultural universal, Luther facilitated rationalism and other nonsense. Thornie and I have give clear examples that contradict your unsubstantiated view. I still do think religion reflects badly on humanity as a whole.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#214  Edited By Bestostero

say what?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Example1013

@diz: Look, I'm not making myself clear. When I've said "so-and-so facilitated this or that", I don't mean it directly allowed it to happen. I mean it created a situation that created a situation that created a situation that created a situation in which that thing could happen. Basic history. If one event changes, the course of history is completely different. If Luther had been born in Italy, the United States as we know it today wouldn't exist. He would've been captured, tried, found guilty of heresy, and executed (likely burned at the stake) before any of his ideas had even the chance to proliferate. There would be no Reformation. There would be no leaving Britain on religious differences. Hell, there would be no Netherlands like we have it either, or really any of those more open countries, because they'd all still be Catholic.

And so on and so on, and as it is for everything I mentioned.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

These quote pyramids are simply breathtaking at this time.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#217  Edited By Claude

I saw the word fallacy, shit's gettin' real now.

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By spudtastic

Yes, you know me, Claude. But really, everyone does. Like Bob Dylan sang during his brief faith era, "You gotta serve somebody".

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#219  Edited By Claude

@spudtastic said:

Yes, you know me, Claude. But really, everyone does. Like Bob Dylan sang during his brief faith era, "You gotta serve somebody".

I serve the universe. However many there may be. But I respect others, that's the difference. Even if you're wrong, kidding. Much love. Claude.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By RsistncE
@RaikohBlade said:
@Ragdrazi: I don't intend to get into an argument with you, as the joys of God are beyond mere logic. You can lump me in with every religious person out there, but I do not follow religion. I follow the Lord himself. I can honestly say that I have tasted his glory firsthand, and not through any ridiculous ceremony. I don't have that perfect "godly lifestyle" you're referring to, and I don't need one. Being holy is greater than perfection. 
Yeah, I've gathered this much from most religious people...
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#222  Edited By buzz_clik

As an only child, the only thing I really worship is me.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By leebmx

Voted 'yes' by accident. Strange.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I am real into Hayley Atwell right now.

So, sure.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

this is a profound poll

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By diz

@Example1013 said:

@diz: Look, I'm not making myself clear. When I've said "so-and-so facilitated this or that", I don't mean it directly allowed it to happen. I mean it created a situation that created a situation that created a situation that created a situation in which that thing could happen. Basic history. If one event changes, the course of history is completely different. If Luther had been born in Italy, the United States as we know it today wouldn't exist. He would've been captured, tried, found guilty of heresy, and executed (likely burned at the stake) before any of his ideas had even the chance to proliferate. There would be no Reformation. There would be no leaving Britain on religious differences. Hell, there would be no Netherlands like we have it either, or really any of those more open countries, because they'd all still be Catholic.

And so on and so on, and as it is for everything I mentioned.

You're right - you're not making yourself clear! You seem to be using too much inference there, while claiming alternate futures that you couldn't possibly know of. You waffling on about Martin Luther being the sole cause of the reformation is pure conjecture that just does not stand up to the scrutiny of real historical and sociological evidence.

Are you now saying the freedom from religious bondage, as achieved through the reformation, reflects well on religion in general?

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Meowshi
@SirSuperior said:
No, I don't worship because I'm in the firm stance that God does not exist. I still wouldn't worship God if it were 100 per cent proven that he did exist, he's a massive bellend.
People who say this have always bothered me.  I know people like to come off as utter bad-asses on the internet, but the idea that you would refuse to worship a god whose existence was proven is pretty unbelievable.  Condemning yourself to an eternity of torment, over what, pride?   

Yeah, whatever pal.  I'm sure you would have personally tried to assassinate Hitler if you were born in Nazi Germany, too.  
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Meowshi
@Ragdrazi said:

@Meowshi said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@Gamer_152 said:

@Ragdrazi said: At very least you disagreed with what Raikoh was saying. I must say I strongly disagree with almost everything he's said in this thread and believe that his God doesn't exist, but there's a pretty thick line between expressing that and implying that his god fucks him in the mouth.

You know, it seems to be Giant Bomb is being infested with two kinds of equally quality posters right now. Minimodding white knight nannies such as yourself who feel everyone else on Giant Bomb are being just too mean!  

@Meowshi

said:

That's all uh, interesting, I suppose; but we both know it's not relevant.  When someone capitalizes the "G" in the word god, then you and I both know who and what they are referring to.  Pretending otherwise, is silly.  Regardless of ancient origins and scrolls, the modern interpretation of God is one being.  I responded to someone trying (and failing) to be a snarky smart-ass, and what I said was completely valid.  What you've done here is spend a significant amount of time typing and explaining something that is in no way relevant to this topic or my response to the aforementioned smart-ass.  Anyway, I really didn't want to get into another argument and this is in no way a pleasant conversation, so let's go talk about vijeo games or something.  Those seem to inspire less vitriol, anyhow. 

And little asses like this guy who see a good point being made and shit all over it because, well, it's a good point.  Listen Gamerstringofnubmers. You know as well as I do that writing "I've tasted his glory firsthand" on the internet is asking to be laughed at. Hell, saying that out loud is asking to be laughed at. I gave this guy every chance in the world to just say "Oops, that came out wrong," but he decided to get preachy. Flag it if you think it's a problem, I'm sure the mods need a good laugh.  And Meowshi, the "modern interpretation" of the word "God" is exactly what CaLe posted. The inherently bigoted Christian interpretation is that the word "God" is as you've posted. Not only is it unclear what is meant by the term "God," it is unclear exactly what is meant by the Christian "God." That is the relevant response I have given you. But it's a good point, and, so naturally, it needs you to shit all over it. And you calling anyone here a snarky smart-ass is the funniest line on this thread since Raikoh.    And I am so beyond done talking to both of you. And to everyone else now acting like the both of you on Giant Bomb. Please stop.
You seem upset.  You should probably step away from the computer and take a breather.    Maybe see a psychiatrist.  I have some numbers for you if you need them.
Nah, you can save them. Why don't I tell you a little story though.  I don't know if you noticed, but on a couple of other threads out there lot of people suddenly jumped on me like a bunch of hungry fleas for expressing what I was expressing here. And yeah, that was upsetting. By chance I happened to go over to a friend's house to watch up some UFC last night. He's a Giant Bomber too, but he stays away from forums on the internet because he says he doesn't like internet people. But seeing as how he's very anti-religious to my surprise he happened to have hit on this thread right here. And to my great bemusement he talked about how much he had enjoyed watching me "beat on two guys at once."  So I talked to him about how upset, yes, upset, I was about watching so many new or nearly new posters suddenly show up on the scene, who either behaved in an impossibly touchy and whiny manner, or who who felt the need to posture like hard cases. I just let out a massive fart and now my underoos are brown.  And as I was telling him this, a single thought formed in my mind. New posters. Equal parts obnoxiously touchy and crassly trolling. This all filtered out into one word:  "SUMMER"  So yeah. I'd forgotten about the three months out of the year when the internet especially sucks. I really do care about Giant Bomb. It's a great place. And yeah, it'll be better... come September.
I am very worried about you Ragdrazi.  You should not seek validation through the internet.  I'm sure that one day you will actually have someone to call "friend", without having to resort to wildly fantastical, fictionalized accounts of camaraderie.  It's just not healthy.  I understand that you're just trying to mask the  hollowing feeling of being forever alone, but you need to understand, it gets better.  If you ever want to talk, you can PM me at any time.  I'm here for you man.  
bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#229  Edited By bloodlines

As in a god ? Nope.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Meowshi said:
@Ragdrazi said:

@Meowshi said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@Gamer_152 said:

@Ragdrazi said: At very least you disagreed with what Raikoh was saying. I must say I strongly disagree with almost everything he's said in this thread and believe that his God doesn't exist, but there's a pretty thick line between expressing that and implying that his god fucks him in the mouth.

You know, it seems to be Giant Bomb is being infested with two kinds of equally quality posters right now. Minimodding white knight nannies such as yourself who feel everyone else on Giant Bomb are being just too mean!  

@Meowshi

said:

That's all uh, interesting, I suppose; but we both know it's not relevant.  When someone capitalizes the "G" in the word god, then you and I both know who and what they are referring to.  Pretending otherwise, is silly.  Regardless of ancient origins and scrolls, the modern interpretation of God is one being.  I responded to someone trying (and failing) to be a snarky smart-ass, and what I said was completely valid.  What you've done here is spend a significant amount of time typing and explaining something that is in no way relevant to this topic or my response to the aforementioned smart-ass.  Anyway, I really didn't want to get into another argument and this is in no way a pleasant conversation, so let's go talk about vijeo games or something.  Those seem to inspire less vitriol, anyhow. 

And little asses like this guy who see a good point being made and shit all over it because, well, it's a good point.  Listen Gamerstringofnubmers. You know as well as I do that writing "I've tasted his glory firsthand" on the internet is asking to be laughed at. Hell, saying that out loud is asking to be laughed at. I gave this guy every chance in the world to just say "Oops, that came out wrong," but he decided to get preachy. Flag it if you think it's a problem, I'm sure the mods need a good laugh.  And Meowshi, the "modern interpretation" of the word "God" is exactly what CaLe posted. The inherently bigoted Christian interpretation is that the word "God" is as you've posted. Not only is it unclear what is meant by the term "God," it is unclear exactly what is meant by the Christian "God." That is the relevant response I have given you. But it's a good point, and, so naturally, it needs you to shit all over it. And you calling anyone here a snarky smart-ass is the funniest line on this thread since Raikoh.    And I am so beyond done talking to both of you. And to everyone else now acting like the both of you on Giant Bomb. Please stop.
You seem upset.  You should probably step away from the computer and take a breather.    Maybe see a psychiatrist.  I have some numbers for you if you need them.
Nah, you can save them. Why don't I tell you a little story though.  I don't know if you noticed, but on a couple of other threads out there lot of people suddenly jumped on me like a bunch of hungry fleas for expressing what I was expressing here. And yeah, that was upsetting. By chance I happened to go over to a friend's house to watch up some UFC last night. He's a Giant Bomber too, but he stays away from forums on the internet because he says he doesn't like internet people. But seeing as how he's very anti-religious to my surprise he happened to have hit on this thread right here. And to my great bemusement he talked about how much he had enjoyed watching me "beat on two guys at once."  So I talked to him about how upset, yes, upset, I was about watching so many new or nearly new posters suddenly show up on the scene, who either behaved in an impossibly touchy and whiny manner, or who who felt the need to posture like hard cases. I just let out a massive fart and now my underoos are brown.  And as I was telling him this, a single thought formed in my mind. New posters. Equal parts obnoxiously touchy and crassly trolling. This all filtered out into one word:  "SUMMER"  So yeah. I'd forgotten about the three months out of the year when the internet especially sucks. I really do care about Giant Bomb. It's a great place. And yeah, it'll be better... come September.
I am very worried about you Ragdrazi.  You should not seek validation through the internet.  I'm sure that one day you will actually have someone to call "friend", without having to resort to wildly fantastical, fictionalized accounts of camaraderie.  It's just not healthy.  I understand that you're just trying to mask the  hollowing feeling of being forever alone, but you need to understand, it gets better.  If you ever want to talk, you can PM me at any time.  I'm here for you man.  
Finally! Someone who really sees! Someone who knows that when I'm defending someone from the baseless attacks of a person who doesn't really get what this place is about, it's because, really, really, deep down, I'm sad inside.

But you know. You know. You seem to have such experience with being a worthless ass seeking validation on the internet. Tell me what it's been like like for you. Please.

Meowshi. You are the one that I worship.

Sometimes, I just, I just get so sad inside that I can't go on. But then I think about leaves turning red, yellow, orange, all those vibrant colors. And then suddenly, I can go on.
Avatar image for you_put_the_lotion_on_the_skin
you_put_the_lotion_on_the_skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus Christ

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Meowshi

I'm glad we could make progress!

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#233  Edited By SirPsychoSexy
@Ragdrazi: @Meowshi: Take this shit elsewhere
intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By intro

I don't worship anything. If you're talking about religion, I'm atheist.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By TheChaos

I'm getting flashbacks of that guy that kept coming on here preaching about Christianity a year or so back, until he was banned. 
Also, no I don't believe in any higher power whatsoever.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By tsolless

wor·ship   (wûrshp)n.

a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.
b. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.
Nope, can't say that I do. Just because you spend a lot of time with something doesn't mean you are worshipping it.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Meowshi
@SirPsychoSexy said:
Darn my compulsive need to always get the last word!
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Meowshi said:
@SirPsychoSexy said:
Darn my compulsive need to always get the last word!
No Caption Provided
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Pinworm45
@spudtastic said:
I don't serve shit.
Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#240  Edited By Bigheart711
@Pinworm45 said:
@spudtastic said:
I don't serve shit.
Me neither.
SirSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By SirSuperior
@Meowshi said:
@SirSuperior said:
People who say this have always bothered me.  I know people like to come off as utter bad-asses on the internet, but the idea that you would refuse to worship a god whose existence was proven is pretty unbelievable.  Condemning yourself to an eternity of torment, over what, pride?    Yeah, whatever pal.  I'm sure you would have personally tried to assassinate Hitler if you were born in Nazi Germany, too.  
What are you on about? Are you seriously suggesting that because I wouldn't have the urgent need to worship (think about this) a being who would be responsible for everything bad in the world ever to have happened (How many children are in danger of dying from lack of food in Somalia as we speak?) I would claim superiority over large parts of the German populace in 1930s Germany? Your analogy doesn't even work. Even if it did, would that be so far-fetched? I seem to remember Hitler getting quite a bit of stick in his time. Get a grip, mate.
WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Nope.
Robrazor1936

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Robrazor1936

I worship at the altar of Caravella undoubtedly, however to quote some bloke with a beard "Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes".......

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Meowshi
@SirSuperior said:

@Meowshi said:

@SirSuperior said:
People who say this have always bothered me.  I know people like to come off as utter bad-asses on the internet, but the idea that you would refuse to worship a god whose existence was proven is pretty unbelievable.  Condemning yourself to an eternity of torment, over what, pride?    Yeah, whatever pal.  I'm sure you would have personally tried to assassinate Hitler if you were born in Nazi Germany, too.  
What are you on about? Are you seriously suggesting that because I wouldn't have the urgent need to worship (think about this) a being who would be responsible for everything bad in the world ever to have happened (How many children are in danger of dying from lack of food in Somalia as we speak?) I would claim superiority over large parts of the German populace in 1930s Germany? Your analogy doesn't even work. Even if it did, would that be so far-fetched? I seem to remember Hitler getting quite a bit of stick in his time. Get a grip, mate.
I'm suggesting that you're full of shit.  Basically.   

Also the idea that God is responsible for everything bad in the world seems highly debatable to me.
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By WickedFather

I'm a devout onanist and sometimes worship three times a day.  Six times when I was a lad and found a repository of holy books hidden in a glade in a carrier bag.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By nail1080
@SirSuperior said:
@Meowshi said:
@SirSuperior said:
So true, well said sir. 

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#247  Edited By billyhoush
Do What Thou Wilt
VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By VanTesla

No and if I believed in God I would be a Deist.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#249  Edited By Pibo47

Ummm...no. I dont believe in invisible men in the sky.

Strongbadman47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Strongbadman47

Only to the Metal God himself!

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE GLORY OF ROB HALFORD
ALL BOW DOWN TO THE GLORY OF ROB HALFORD