Doctor Who: Where to start?

alizeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By alizeyk

Ok, so I want to get into Doctor Who, but I have no idea where to start. There is so much to watch at this point; do I even bother with the original series, or can I start with the new one?

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By slax

I have seen like an episode of the original series but was able to jump into the new series just fine.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jothel

just start with the 2005 reboot with Christopher Eccleston, there's some stuff from beforehand but it's usually pretty well explained or obvious

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Iceman2913

You can start with the new one, if by new you are talking about the the one on BBC.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Deusoma
@Jothel said:
" just start with the 2005 reboot with Christopher Eccleston, there's some stuff from beforehand but it's usually pretty well explained or obvious "
This here is some good advice, it's how I did it and I loved it. If you get especially confused about a specific topic, just check the Wiki.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By singular

Just watch the remake of the series. The original one is,well, old and for "enthusiasts".
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By FLStyle
@Deusoma said:
" @Jothel said:
" just start with the 2005 reboot with Christopher Eccleston, there's some stuff from beforehand but it's usually pretty well explained or obvious "
This here is some good advice, it's how I did it and I loved it. If you get especially confused about a specific topic, just check the Wiki. "
/Thread
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Griddler

I didn't think Doctor Who was heard of in America

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Fallen189

Tennant for life. Or the fourth.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By sopranosfan

Get Netflix and I believe you can watch all the episodes instantly on your 360 or PS3 and I believe on your Wii either now or soon.  It is one of my top 4 or 5 shows on right now and @girdz:  yep we get BBC America and I am pretty sure I have watched every episode since the reboot.  I didn't start as soon as the show came on but pretty soon thereafter.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Griddler
@sopranosfan: Have you got the new Doctor over there yet?
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By DukeTogo

To truly appreciate the new series you should at least watch some of the older stuff, since it makes a ton of references to the past stories, and really helps you to get into the Doctor's brooding thoughts when he starts mentioning them.  As an American I'm biased to Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor, he's who we first experienced the character as and many consider him "The" Doctor above all others.

Your biggest hurdle is your ability to make due with the low budget style of the show.  Until the new series in 2005, the show was on par with cable access quality production.  That was part of its charm back then, and for most of that time it wasn't that much worse than any other TV show, but if you think the new show looks a little low tech with the effects, then watching Tom Baker get attacked by a dude covered in green plastic wrap is going to blow your mind.

I suggest you check some clips on youtube and read the extensive wikipedia entry on Doctor Who, then watch the David Tennant seasons, he was about as close to Tom Baker at being the Doctor.

For now, check this out:

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sopranosfan
@girdz: I believe it comes on Saturday.
kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By kagato
@Jothel said:
I agree with this, if you like the reboot id then work my way back going from newest to oldest, youll find it really hard to watch the old stuff until the very end.  Id also recommend Torchwood if your into Dr Who, its a very interesting spin off with a great supporting cast and of course characters from both series cross over quite a bit. 
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Griddler
@sopranosfan: Ah, it's very good
FuzzyLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FuzzyLogic

Start with Eccleston, series 1 of the remake. The old stuff is really campy (in a good way) and not necessary to the enjoyment of the new series (I didn't even know what a dalek was before watching.) A lot of people are huge Tennant fans, but for me, Eccleston was my favorite doctor. I just think he brought more complexity to role than Tennant. Don't get me wrong, I love Tennant, but Eccleston was better.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By raviolisumo
I watched all of the Tennant specials and read the wiki and that was it. I'm all caught up.
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tylea002

Start from the beginning of the new series. It only has minimal callbacks to the older stuff. But then from that point, there is arching. So yeah, from the beginning of eccleston til now. I would also watch Torchwood alongside it. Torchwood serieses go no1 between doctor who series 2 and 3, Torchwood series no2 between doctor who series 3 and 4. Then torchwood children of earth between the end of four and the the final special "The End of Time." It's confusing, but I RECCOMEND IT ALL!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mracoon

I'd say go straight to the new series. There's no real direct links (apart from the enemies and some alien races) so you wouldn't be lost. The gap between the old and new series was quite lengthy so they purposely made it accessible to newcomers.

On a side note, I'm loving Matt Smith as the new Doctor. He pulls off the zany/hyperactive style very well.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I could never get into any of the older Doctor Who episodes but right from the first episode of the Christopher Eccleston series I've loved the Doctor Who reboot. I'd advise you start watching from the beginning of the Christopher Eccleston series (the first series of the reboot) or the beginning of the first David Tenant series (the second series of the reboot) because Tenant's performance as the Doctor was brilliant. You could start watching right from where the current series is now without any real confusion but in my opinion if you don't see Tenant's episodes right from the start then you should at least watch some of them because they are a must-see.