Does anybody else spend time and money buying games that aren't regarded as great as opposed to new AAA titles?

lukefuentes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm one of those people who kind of have a sick sense of curiosity when it comes to games that are considered to be kind of garb-o. I recently found a sealed copy of Too Human and spent a few bucks picking it up because I just....had to know? Sometimes I even put time into these games as opposed to experiences I know are of a higher quality because of this curiosity. I've been playing Geist over the last few weeks for absolutely zero reason other than to see what the nightmare is all about. And to laugh of coarse.

Does anybody else do this? I'd love to hear about all the weird and not great things you all have picked up or sunk time into.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost. I've pondered grabbing Duke Nukem Forever, Kane and Lynch (again) and The Quiet Man but not quite budged. I have too many good games to get out of the way first. I definitely went through a period of the PS2's time looking for under the radar stuff. Terrible games can scratch that itch if there's a story behind their development and disaster.

lukefuentes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Oh, man. I've revisited everything you listed other than The Quiet Man. I almost went for it too. It had a launch price of less than 15 dollars.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'd probably pick up a copy of Geist if I saw it and it wasn't terribly expensive.

I played a demo of Bodycount once. Oh boy, that was true garbage, if that's still available you should check that out.

Such games would probably be more interesting than your top-tier, flagship, boiler-plate AAA games of today, though. Destiny? Assassin's Creed? Call of Duty? Battlefield? Blergh. No. I don't care anymore about those, or their knockoffs, or anything that aspires to be in the same category of ultra-expensive-to-produce wallpaper paste.

However, I don't really see a need to play garbage video games when there are so many other games available these days if you're willing to go searching a bit.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

All the time.

Games that are too polished lose something in the process. Same with movies, music, and more. I think there’s a heart and an earnestness in “lesser” games. I think that polish can hurt a vision for the sake of making a game broad.

It’s why I haven’y watched a network TV show (aside from Better Call Saul) since Breaking Bad. Before Breaking Bad, it was The Shield.

Too much is lost in chasing as many customers as possible.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can't do it. I wont watch a show or movie unless I know its going to be well written and developed, and I wont play a game that feels like crap. Between school and work I definitely dont have time for things that arend BLOPS4, RDR2, or soon Fallout, but maybe games like Odyssey that are overly machined crap boxes would give me pause to try something different. Moving to a more expensive area so I've already been downloading lots of F2P stuff, but the sales come to the big games pretty quick now too.