Does anyone play the piano?

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GoodKn1ght

Hey I've always been interested in playing the piano but I never really got into it. I've been in concert band in high school playing the trumpet, french horn and trombone and I'm not an idiot when it comes to music but I've never been as good as others, I could never invest the time others seemed to have. I never learned theory or anything like that, I read the notes on the sheet that was in front of me in whatever key it was in, I can't transpose or anything awesome like that. I can read bass and treble cleft and can map all the notes on to piano keys. Basically my question in this overly long topic for a simple question is how much does theory and such factor in a pianist playing? It seems any pianist I've met always knows like every cord and are just generally fantastic musicians. Can I play the piano well without knowing alot of music theory? Like just simpler songs, I'm not trying to master moonlight sonata or anything of that caliber.

Avatar image for uprooteddreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By UprootedDreamer

I always wanted to learn how to play the piano but I have never gotten around to doing it. I can play the violin though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

Nobody plays the piano.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By theguy

I' haven't been playing for that long but i can say the theory definitely helps. I suppose it depends on what type of music you want to play. A lot of new pop stuff is focused a lot on repeating chords. I'ts not something you really need to know before you start, you could begin playing and slowly adding to your theory knowledge and still play some pretty complex songs. That's what I'm doing. I know that there are some people who play without any theory just by ear but I can't even imagine that.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rattle618

You cant play any instrument well without knowing theory, but you dont need to do it well to play simple things. Sounds like with the background you already have you could get started right away.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeF

well, you surely can play the piano but you can never like the piano.

I've played a little bit in 9th and 10th grade (including some small performances in school concerts) but that was mainly done by straight up learning the sheet (I always had simple, one sheet pieces) by heart 'cause I suck at reading notes.

If you wanna play other people's songs and don't wanna go crazy you should do fine with what you know already (reading bass, etc). After getting used to the keys you should also be able to play around and freestyle somethin cool sounding without knowing all the crazy chords and a lot of deep theory. Just go with what feels right. Take that with a grain of salt though, since I can't really do much myself with that thing :) (even though I love the sound of a real piano ... lock me in a room with one and I'll keep myself busy and entertained with it till you let me out again)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

I would buy one if I was rich, but I would hire a professional piano player to play for me.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By CastroCasper

You could play the piano or you can learn the piano. You can learn a few songs on any insturment without gaining any knowledge in theroy.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akrid

You can play the piano masterfully with out knowing a lick of theory if that's what you want to do. But from experience, I can tell you this isn't really a path you'll want to go down. I've played guitar for 5 years or so, and 4 of them were spent 'just' playing guitar. I can play Joe Pass or  Steve Howe pretty competently, but for the life of me I could not properly tell you what a mode is. I got really sick of not knowing this shit, and so I've been learning this year a bit more seriously then in the past. I play and enjoy music so much more because of this.

You can do as you want and just play - and you'll get really good - but you'll always be stuck with paper in front of you. You'd be less a musician and more a guy who plays piano.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Nope, unfortunately. I'd certainly love to, though having no piano at hand anywhere in my family, and the lessons themselves being far too expensive--or too far away--it's a long time before I'll attempt such an endeavour.

Krendrayven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Krendrayven
I use to play Saxophone, Piano and Violin.  I stuck with Saxophone a little more since I played it in a Jazz band.

Here's my part of the story;  I played Saxophone for about 3 years in High School.  I was pretty awesome when I played off of sheet music, I could also memorize the songs quite well and play them without having to look at sheet music.  I was part of a music class while doing this so I did learn all the history and theory behind it.  This helped me put some oomph and attitude towards my playing.  I also listened A LOT to Jazz music and Dave Brubeck is awesome.  I say do all you can to get better, eventually the practice will show and you'll just be amazing like everyone else.  I'm depressed because once I entered college I stopped playing, that and for various reasons I won't mention.  I am now instrument-less and it makes me sad!  Once you have an instrument, it's a part of you (well it was to me).  My Piano story is a whole different section of my life, basically I didn't have enough money to own one.  The violin was awesome, but I was young and frustration was a big part of it.  If I were to learn it now, I'd stick to it.

I'll stop going on a tangent, all I had to say was don't give up!
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By dbz1995
@GoodKn1ght said:

Hey I've always been interested in playing the piano but I never really got into it. I've been in concert band in high school playing the trumpet, french horn and trombone and I'm not an idiot when it comes to music but I've never been as good as others, I could never invest the time others seemed to have. I never learned theory or anything like that, I read the notes on the sheet that was in front of me in whatever key it was in, I can't transpose or anything awesome like that. I can read bass and treble cleft and can map all the notes on to piano keys. Basically my question in this overly long topic for a simple question is how much does theory and such factor in a pianist playing? It seems any pianist I've met always knows like every cord and are just generally fantastic musicians. Can I play the piano well without knowing alot of music theory? Like just simpler songs, I'm not trying to master moonlight sonata or anything of that caliber.

Go on youtube and listen to the guy called makhonkit. I'll give you a sample:

That guy can't read sheet music and he plays fantastically well. Some guy said that what is best found in music is not found in the notes.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Burzmali

What do you want to do on the piano? Do you just want to play whatever songs you can get the sheet music for? You can learn to play any piece of music if you have the notes in front of you and enough time. Theory makes it easier, but just knowing the notes on the piano and how to read music is enough. You probably won't be moving anyone to tears, but you'll be competent. If you want to be the kind of person who can sight read anything, or play music just from hearing it, then there are only two possibilities: 1) you have to be a musical prodigy with natural talent or 2) you need theory. Theory isn't that bad. It's a lot like just practicing a song over and over again. Learn to play all of the major scales, then the minors, plus their chords, and you'll be in pretty decent shape. There are so many runs and sequences in music (especially popular music) that are just parts of a scale or notes in a chord. Being able to pick them out as you're going makes learning and playing a piece of music much easier.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

look on youtube on what to learn. youtube has a lot of great videos.
i took a class at college where i learned the basics of playing the piano. major minors, major minor 7th, major minor 9th.

this chart should help that i found. 

here is some basic stuff: a major chord is the root(first key) and then is two steps, and then 1 and a half steps.
a minor chord is the root 1 and a half steps, and then two steps.
a major 7th is a step up or down from the root of the chord.

1 step is from flat to another flat (white keys, unless on e to f)
a half a step is flat (white key) to black(sharp) again unless you are E to F. it is only half a step.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Bruce
@GoodKn1ght:  

You don't need theory for any instrument, really. It just helps. Anyway, if you're not interested in all that theory jargon, you can teach yourself to play Piano and probably bang out a song in the first few days. It's not a particularly hard instrument. Getting good, though, will probably require lessons, the ability to read sheet music, etc.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Kyreo

I play the Piano. I know theory, but I'm no master.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Sooperspy
@Abyssfull said:
Nope, unfortunately. I'd certainly love to, though having no piano at hand anywhere in my family, and the lessons themselves being far too expensive--or too far away--it's a long time before I'll attempt such an endeavour.
This.