rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By rjaylee
@NekuSakuraba said:
" That's way off, my family loves dogs and would totally help, the only problem is our house isn't too large so they wouldn't want a huge dog in our small house all hours of the day. "
If this is the case, I'd suggest a smaller dog that is not as hyperactive or energetic. A Golden Retriever or a Lab will want space to run around in. You should be able to find some more information regarding breeds and their energy levels on many resources online.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Marz

Boston Terrier
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By beej
@NekuSakuraba: I just want to say that cats CAN be the source of a good deal of friendship as well. I know that they get a rep as being independent, and to an extent they are, but most of the cats I've ever owned love being around people pretty much all the time. Don't be so quick to write off cats as a second alternative is all! 
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By unchained
@NekuSakuraba said:
" I want a dog to play with, for it to be a friend, for it to make me happy, etc. I sounded like I wouldn't commit a lot of time in my post but I just don't know that much about dogs so I don't know how much attention they need to happy. Could you give a basic rundown of what you have to do with a Golden Retriever? I really want to make sure I can invest time into a dog before getting one. "

As others have suggested, you might want to check out an animal shelter first. Mature dogs (2yrs+) are much easier to care for than a puppy. Puppies, while adorable, take up tons of time and attention.  

Basic rundown for a Golden Retriever? As I stated before, I walk her twice a day (three times a day on weekends or vacation leave) and each walk is 35-45min. I feed her once a day in the morning, but she gets a fair amount of treats throughout the day. Annual vet checkups are anywhere between $100-$200. Emergency vet appointments can cost much much more (I've paid $600 for a dog). Dog food usually costs me $10 a week. I give my dog a lot of attention and play with her frequently. She is my buddy and the most loyal companion I've had.  Because of the attention and care I give to her, she is exceedingly well behaved. No barking, no biting, no accidents indoors. 

While it doesn't sound all that difficult or time consuming, it does take a massive commitment to be a dog owner. You are caring for something that is entirely dependent on you for happiness and life.  

I would strongly suggest that before you go out and buy a dog, find an opportunity to be a dog sitter for a week or so for someone. You'll get a very good idea then of what will be required of you.  
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@heatDrive88 said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" That's way off, my family loves dogs and would totally help, the only problem is our house isn't too large so they wouldn't want a huge dog in our small house all hours of the day. "
If this is the case, I'd suggest a smaller dog that is not as hyperactive or energetic. A Golden Retriever or a Lab will want space to run around in. You should be able to find some more information regarding breeds and their energy levels on many resources online. "
Well I have a good spaced backyard which the dog would be happy to run around in. How big do the dogs tend to get?
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Pessh said:
" So you want a dog that will chill outside all day until you want to play and won't make a mess when its finally allowed in? Don't think dogs are for you, how about a...

No Caption Provided
They're very independent and don't make a mess "
ahahahahahahaha
guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By guthwulf

You should definitely not get a dog. Ever.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@guthwulf said:
" You should definitely not get a dog. Ever. "
Why is that?
oldschool2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By oldschool2112
Nek it doesn't sound like you're a terrible person, it's just that once you've had a dog it becomes as important as a family member. So if you substitute "dog" with "little brother" in all your posts, you'll understand why you are getting some heat from us experienced dog owners.
guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By guthwulf
@NekuSakuraba
@guthwulf said:
" You should definitely not get a dog. Ever. "
Why is that?
Your post sounds as if you lack the proper attitude which is necessary to take care of a dog. Dogs, especially young ones, need a lot of care and time devoted to them, and if your consideration which one to get starts with asking what breeds do not need a lot of attention you definitely should stop right there.
There is no dog that does not need a lot of attention - everyday. Everyone who tells you otherwise has obviously no idea what they're talking about.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@oldschool2112
Nek it doesn't sound like you're a terrible person, it's just that once you've had a dog it becomes as important as a family member. So if you substitute "dog" with "little brother" in all your posts, you'll understand why you are getting some heat from us experienced dog owners.
I can see what you are getting at totally. I think that I could invest a lot more time then I claimed in the original post, it's just that I don't know how much dog care takes and after doing some research it doesn't seem that bad.
Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By Hosstile17

Mutt. They are the best dogs and they are free.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Mars_Cleric

i say beagle but then again im biased
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Mars_Cleric

I was thinking of getting a beagle at first, how is your beagle?
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Doctorchimp
@NekuSakuraba: Speaking as someone who has 2 cats and a rottweiler mix... 

You sound you should just get a kitty dude, and stop this "looking for a breeder/ specific breed!!" garbage. Go to the shelter when they have puppies and kitties for adoption and get a pet. Animals that are crossbred are stronger, smarter, and less susceptible to diseases. Unless you want to go to a legit breeder that guarantees that they don't interbreed their animals and spend more than 1000 dollars...
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Doctorchimp Oh I'm definitely getting my pet from a shelter but what did you mean by the specific breed stuff?
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Doctorchimp
@NekuSakuraba: Well from the last topic where it sounded you were going buy a bengal cat and you looking for breeds I thought you were going to like a pet store or some puppy mill. 
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @Mars_Cleric

I was thinking of getting a beagle at first, how is your beagle? "

my beagle is about 12 now and he's a good old dog 
he never bites but he'll sniff you to death as most hound dogs will :P 
and he's a good watch dog, sometimes too good 
and beagle puppies are adorable
IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Noticed a few recommendations for German Shepard's, personally I would stay clear unless you have the time for walks as they as a breed are renowned for needing a LOT of exercise. I have owned several, in fact I would probably say they are one of my preferred breeds of dog, but again they very much rely on exercise and it just wouldn't be fair to own one without being able to provide that for it.

Looking at some of your comments you seem to be quite indecisive at the moment, if you send me a list of what you want from the dog (literally why you want him/her) and what you willing to give back (exercise, attention etc), then I can have a think and maybe send you some ideas.

Oh and before you think I'm someone crazy giving out pointless information. I have experience working in a shelter as well as experience looking after and training agility dogs. It was awhile ago now, but I like to think that I still have a fairly valid opinion when it comes to owning and looking after dogs. I was born into a family that always owned dogs, growing up beside them, loving them every minute :)

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CaptainObvious

Get a mongrel.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Anyone have an Australian Terrier? I'm interested in one.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By alexl86

If you're going with pure-breeds, you should expect to pay at least $ 600. Even so, a Dog is a huge responsibility, and if you don't live up to that responsibility the dog will be miserable.

If you're not dead set on a dog, a cat might be a better choice. A cat is generally much more affectionate than a dog, requires less of you as an owner, and doesn't leave as much of a mess. Also, you can usually get one for a pittance and they don't eat as much.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By NekuSakuraba
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@alexl86 said:
" If you're going with pure-breeds, you should expect to pay at least $ 600. Even so, a Dog is a huge responsibility, and if you don't live up to that responsibility the dog will be miserable.  If you're not dead set on a dog, a cat might be a better choice. A cat is generally much more affectionate than a dog, requires less of you as an owner, and doesn't leave as much of a mess. Also, you can usually get one for a pittance and they don't eat as much. "
How much more responsibility is a dog than a cat?
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Pessh

Have you even considered the financial side of things? Yearly vacinations, insurance, you'll probably want to get them neutered/spayed. That stuff isn't cheap, regardless of what animal it is. To be honest, you don't seem nearly responsible enough, wait a few years and if you're still sure you want a dog pay a visit to some shelters.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@Pessh said:
" Have you even considered the financial side of things? Yearly vacinations, insurance, you'll probably want to get them neutered/spayed. That stuff isn't cheap, regardless of what animal it is. To be honest, you don't seem nearly responsible enough, wait a few years and if you're still sure you want a dog pay a visit to some shelters. "
Financially everything is fine. As for not being responsible enough I have worked out a time slot to walk the dog everyday, feed him and play with him. Not to mention I have 3 other people in my house that will be helping. A lot of people I know don't even take their dogs for walks that often, I'm not saying I'm going to be one of those people but I am saying their are a lot of people who are less responsible then me.
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#79  Edited By StarvingGamer
@NekuSakuraba said:
" How much more responsibility is a dog than a cat? "
Significantly more, especially to start out.  Cats come potty trained and are generally pretty mellow.  They are fastidious self groomers and typically don't develop bad habits such as chewing on things.  The biggest worry is the sharpening of claws, but it is fairly simple to guide them in their behavior with the aid of catnip.

With my 2 cats the only daily maintenance I have to do is clean the litterbox which takes about 5-minutes each time, with a more serious rinse on weekends which takes me about 15 minutes.  I bathe my hairier cat every 2-3 weeks to help with my allergies which is another 10 minutes or so.  Beyond that, all I need to do is give them attention when they come asking for it, keep their bowls full and poke at them a few times a day to keep their minds stimulated.

Compare that to 30+ minutes a day in walks plus the ardors of behavioral training and you're looking at a much larger time commitment overall.  Basically, if you're a generally high-energy active person I'd say a dog is probably going to be a better choice for you.  If you tend to me more mellow and laid back then you'd probably do better with a cat.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@StarvingGamer said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" How much more responsibility is a dog than a cat? "
Significantly more, especially to start out.  Cats come potty trained and are generally pretty mellow.  They are fastidious self groomers and typically don't develop bad habits such as chewing on things.  The biggest worry is the sharpening of claws, but it is fairly simple to guide them in their behavior with the aid of catnip.  With my 2 cats the only daily maintenance I have to do is clean the litterbox which takes about 5-minutes each time, with a more serious rinse on weekends which takes me about 15 minutes.  I bathe my hairier cat every 2-3 weeks to help with my allergies which is another 10 minutes or so.  Beyond that, all I need to do is give them attention when they come asking for it, keep their bowls full and poke at them a few times a day to keep their minds stimulated.  Compare that to 30+ minutes a day in walks plus the ardors of behavioral training and you're looking at a much larger time commitment overall.  Basically, if you're a generally high-energy active person I'd say a dog is probably going to be a better choice for you.  If you tend to me more mellow and laid back then you'd probably do better with a cat. "
Do you think if I get a cat I will be better prepared for the responsibility of a dog in the future? I wanted a dog more to train them, walk them and dogs seem more loving than cats. Since you own cats, what do you think about that stuff?
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By StarvingGamer
@NekuSakuraba: Coming from the view of a cat-owner, I receive no shortage of affection from my cats.  Whenever they aren't busy playing or sleeping, they're usually rubbing against me looking for attention.  As far as preparing you for owning a dog, honestly, I really don't think it will help in any way beyond the broadest sense.  Of course increased responsibility better prepares you for further increased responsibility, but I certainly don't feel like I'd have an easy time of training a dog.  If anything, I'm so used to my cats taking care of themselves that I might be prone to give a dog too much slack.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By rjaylee
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @Doctorchimp Oh I'm definitely getting my pet from a shelter but what did you mean by the specific breed stuff? "
Don't feel obligated that you have to get a dog from a shelter. While I believe getting a dog from a shelter is a very honorable act, there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a breeder. Also, it can be scary if you adopt a dog from a shelter that has had a bad history or past of abuse. It's a sad fact, but if you don't feel like you would be able to handle this, I don't think you should do it. I don't recommend getting a dog from the pet store though, some part of me just feels bad for those pets in the store and it feels like buying a dog from a large commercial shelter that doesn't have the right interests in mind for the pets, unlike an actual shelter itself. Maybe I'm just crazy talking about this, but it could just be me.

Buying a dog from a breeder may also seem weird (I mean come on, you're buying a dog from someone who makes dogs fuck all day), but it guarantees you get the exact dog you want, and you get the knowledge and experience from a breeder who knows almost everything about the dog you are getting from him/her. This is of course assuming you find a good breeder, so you're going to have to look for local recommendation on this.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@StarvingGamer
@NekuSakuraba: Coming from the view of a cat-owner, I receive no shortage of affection from my cats.  Whenever they aren't busy playing or sleeping, they're usually rubbing against me looking for attention.  As far as preparing you for owning a dog, honestly, I really don't think it will help in any way beyond the broadest sense.  Of course increased responsibility better prepares you for further increased responsibility, but I certainly don't feel like I'd have an easy time of training a dog.  If anything, I'm so used to my cats taking care of themselves that I might be prone to give a dog too much slack.
How about them doing tricks and playing with them? Is it fun?
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By StarvingGamer
@NekuSakuraba: Well I haven't taught my cats any tricks.  I hear its possible but I never bothered to try.  Playing with them generally involves me picking up a string like object and running around the house with it as the cats try to catch it.  My bigger cat gets especially into it and actually can be somewhat dangerous which is why I now only play with him if the string I'm using is long enough.  Learned my lesson the hard way by getting his claws stuck in my hand a few times.  It's very fun and extremely cute to watch, and if I'm feeling tired I can just sit down and wave the string around to make them run back and forth in front of me.

They also play on their own which can be equally fun/cute.  For some reason my younger cat loves wadded up napkins and will bat them all around the floor with her paws, sometimes picking them up in her teeth and carrying them across the room for some mysterious reason.  And they play fight with each other a few times a day as well.  Cats are always better in twos.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@StarvingGamer Sounds cute! Do they ever break stuff or are they gentle? And do you always keep them inside?

Thanks! :)
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@NekuSakuraba
@StarvingGamer Sounds cute! Do they ever break stuff or are they gentle? And do you always keep them inside?

Thanks! :)
Woops, just saw the indoor/outdoor stuff in my other thread. Still curious about the breaking of stuff. ^__^ and do you think your breed of cat would match me? How about a Scottish fold?
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By StarvingGamer
@NekuSakuraba: NP, my cats are indoor cats.  On average your cat's life expectancy goes up 5 or so years if you keep them indoors as opposed to outdoors.  My bigger cat is fine.  The worst thing he does is pick up stray socks and drop them into his water bowl which just means I have to deal with soggy socks.  When my other cat was a kitten, she had a major wire fixation and ended up breaking a Wii sensor bar and DS charger, but we used some bitter spray to wean her off that habit.  We use catnip to encourage the cats to sharpen their claws on their tower which has left both the bed and the couch unharmed.  Beyond that, other than accidentally knocking papers off the coffee table or intentionally knocking chap stick under the couch, they're perfect angels.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@StarvingGamer
@NekuSakuraba: NP, my cats are indoor cats.  On average your cat's life expectancy goes up 5 or so years if you keep them indoors as opposed to outdoors.  My bigger cat is fine.  The worst thing he does is pick up stray socks and drop them into his water bowl which just means I have to deal with soggy socks.  When my other cat was a kitten, she had a major wire fixation and ended up breaking a Wii sensor bar and DS charger, but we used some bitter spray to wean her off that habit.  We use catnip to encourage the cats to sharpen their claws on their tower which has left both the bed and the couch unharmed.  Beyond that, other than accidentally knocking papers off the coffee table or intentionally knocking chap stick under the couch, they're perfect angels.
Now I want a cat.
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By StarvingGamer
@NekuSakuraba: Haha without knowing you it's hard to say which breed would match you.  Scottish folds are super cute and seem to be very friendly but they're also expensive and very hard to find (in the USA at least, I'm assuming that's where you're from).  More than anything, I'd suggest trying to find a cat that seems interested in you without being overly aggressive.  Good signs would be purring and nuzzling.  Bad signs would be squirming to get away or nibbling.  Going from personal experience, my favorite cat is my Maine Coon.  He's the friendliest and gentlest cat I have ever lived with (out of... 6?).
hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By hwy_61

Whatever you do, don't get a Dalmatian, they're stubborn as shit.

No Caption Provided
I still love her though xD
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Pessh
@elsuperdonut: Really want one but hear a lot about deafness/ kidney stones/ epilepsy

=(
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Thinking of getting a Cavoodle. My cousins have one and they are very loving and playful but you can also sit and watch TV with him. 

What do you guys think? after playing with their dog etc seeing how much I really liked him I will put more effort into looking after one.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@NekuSakuraba
Thinking of getting a Cavoodle. My cousins have one and they are very loving and playful but you can also sit and watch TV with him. 

What do you guys think? after playing with their dog etc seeing how much I really liked him I will put more effort into looking after one.
I was going to make a thread on Cavoodles but I thought I would just ask this again.
Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#94  Edited By Phog_of_War

I see a few potential problems here: 

1) You live with your parents still.  Not good.  You and your dog will be happier if you're not dealing with people who dont want them around the house.  
2) Dogs have to have alot of human interaction.  Otherwise they become very anti-social and dangerous.  Remember, dogs are not that far removed from being in the wild. 
3) Depending on the breed they need to be very active.  Working dogs like Huskies and the like have to be walked of played out like 3 times a day at LEAST. 

Maybe you'd be better served and happier with a cat.