Dolby Cinema in theaters?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

So, I had never heard of this. I am searching for Alien Covenant movie times and I saw it. I don't go to the theater much, but all I've ever heard of was standard and IMAX, but there are a select number of theaters around the world that have Dolby Cinema. Has anyone gone into these? Can anyone tell me how it is and how you get in? Can I just go to the front where they sell the tickets and buy a ticket for it, or is it a reservation kind of thing? I want to see Alien Covenant today with my dad, and I was thinking that'd be a cool way to see it, but I won't do it unless I can just go to the theaters and pay for it there like normal. I'd prefer someone tell me about their experience with it ASAP, but if you can't I understand. Is it worth going to or should I just stick with the normal standard? Thanks.

Edit - I'm not going to see Alien Covenant in the Dolby Cinema format, but I am still curious if anyone had experienced it and what it was like, let alone heard of it. How does it compare to IMAX?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No idea, probably competition to IMAX.

Movies are too damned expensive these days as it is.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@retrometal: Yeah, it is competition to IMAX. I guess it started in 2014. So... I'm not going to see Covenant in that format, and I'm just going to do standard. You can reserve seats, and while I wouldn't do that, I was checking the prices for it and it shows in the process which seats are taken; the best seats to sit in theaters were just taken. And I agree, seeing movies in theaters is expensive. It's partially why I don't go to the theaters too much, but like to do it for films I'm super interested in. This will be one, and then the next I imagine will be Blade Runner 2049.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Aren't they just the same films, but with no hiss and slightly duller audio sound?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

@diz: I don't know. Here's a video of it though. It's supposed to have a better image and better sound. The seats rumble too I guess! Whoo. Ha ha.

Loading Video...

beemop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been to a local one a few times. It's nothing special. If you've been to an 'upscale' theater before it's basically the same. It's got leather reclining seats and the seats rumble a bit when the bass drops. They hype up the sound and picture quality, but I couldn't tell a difference between it and IMAX or other large scale screens. I would say save your money, these don't bring anything new to the table.