Don't throw your Oculus Rift in the trash, but know that Palmer Luckey sorta sucks

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Curious to hear how the GB crew comment on this story.

@yakov456 said:

Seeing as it says he sold Oculus to Facebook in 2014 I'm not exactly sure how throwing it out would accomplish anything.

That was mostly a joke. Keep your Oculus.

You can also send them to me. I will take your Oculus.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh for fuck's sake. Is this damn forum trying to become NeoGAF Jr.? Look, I think Trump is a dumbass as much as anyone else (not a fan of Hillary either, but that doesn't really matter here), but I'm not going to completely condemn someone and claim that they are a shitbag and a complete monster just because it comes out that they have different political affiliations/beliefs from me. This shit-flinging has become so insanely hypocritical, and this weird internet culture of "YOU'RE EITHER 100% WITH US OR 100% AGAINST US" is just pathetic. I can't wait for this election cycle to end.

I don't care if someone is conservative, liberal, or whatever. It crosses a line when their main stake in this world is that all non-white people are lesser, and deserve to be shipped off to somewhere else, because they risk spoiling the sanity of their European heritage. The alt-right doesn't political positions, so much as they have rhetoric, racism, and hatred.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

phishyphishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

justinrwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: I agree, in terms of how the GB crew reacts to this. I expect it will be fascinating. Reminds me of when the crew talked about journalism standards in regards to euro mags doing a bunch of really skeezy stuff, etc. I didn't necessarily have skin in the game when that was going on, but their commentary on it was great. I imagine this will be similar.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renaldo_berkley: Alt-Right is the sad buzzword of the moment. It means as much as idiots that shout "SJW!" or "MISOGYNIST!" at people they disagree with. What has Palmer Lucky ever said that truly cements him as a racist? Or, are you just condemning him by having a loose affiliation with people that you read about on the internet and decided that you don't like?

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By WynnDuffy
@renaldo_berkley said:
@csl316 said:

It's dumb, but is it really that awful?

The people of the alt-right movement are the worst in America right now, so funding them is pretty awful, yeah.

Yeah, memes are clearly worse than the racism and violence brewing inside Black Lives Matter.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoncooke: There are bad people in every movement. The entirety of the alt-right is awful.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By WynnDuffy

@renaldo_berkley said:

@jasoncooke: There are bad people in every movement. The entirety of the alt-right is awful.

A good portion of the alt-right 'movement' has been labeled as such purely for being against political correctness and posting Pepe the Frog images.

It's about as ridiculous as something I'd read on The Onion.

Urnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noelle808: Man, I love Giant Bomb, but if they had anything to do with him after this it would be really hard to continue supporting them in any way.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I still can't get over how ridiculous this is, this has to be the peak of 2016 if true. VR boy teams up with famous troll to fund Hillary memes. What is even happening anymore.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray:Do you have any idea how incredibly illegal it would be to fire someone based on their political views?

@bigsocrates said:

Supporting Donald Trump, whose campaign has lots of ties to white supremacist groups including being run by a man whose previous job was running a website beloved by white supremacists, on the other hand...

So if I've ever voted for any major party candidate I'm a Christian because they were Christians themselves, and some of their campaigns were managed by people who had ties to Christianity? What you're doing is blindly lumping everyone with a single thing in common into a group and slapping a broad derogatory label on all of them.

I don't equate Christianity to white supremacy. For one thing Christianity is a religion, not a political position. For another, Christianity isn't disqualifying as a belief system. I don't happen to think it's okay to be a white supremacist if you have other positions I agree with. It's kind of a deal-breaker for me.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renaldo_berkley said:

A good portion of the alt-right 'movement' has been labeled as such purely for being against political correctness and posting Pepe the Frog images.

Alright buddy. I'm glad to have given you so much enjoyment. The Onion is a pretty high bar.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't get over how ridiculous this is, this has to be the peak of 2016 if true. VR boy teams up with famous troll to fund Hillary memes. What is even happening anymore.

This year makes me want to die.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Milkman

@jasoncooke: this is like a racist uncle on Facebook tier post. the video in that link has absolutely nothing to do with BLM.

@squirrelgod: what are you even talking about? people very proudly call themselves part of the alt-right, the term was coined by one of Palmer's partners in this dumb organization that he's funding. it's not a "buzzword."

this thread is great reminder why I stay in the wrestling thread these days.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the really depressing part of this is that we live in a world where "funding memes" is a thing. Between that and the existence of The Emoji Movie, going off the grid and living out my days in a monastery is sounding pretty appealing.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By WynnDuffy

@renaldo_berkley said:
@jasoncooke said:
@renaldo_berkley said:

Alright buddy. I'm glad to have given you so much enjoyment. The Onion is a pretty high bar.

No I'm saying a lot of the media are behaving insane, with their deductions that Pepe the Frog is a white supremacist symbol.

Anyway until you can show me the alt-right is out there laying beatdowns on people or destroying public property en masse, it's not as bad as Black Lives Matter.

I don't have anything against BLM when they are law abiding folk speaking out against genuine cases of police brutality but maybe it's time to move away from that moniker.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renaldo_berkley: Alt-Right is the sad buzzword of the moment. It means as much as idiots that shout "SJW!" or "MISOGYNIST!" at people they disagree with. What has Palmer Lucky ever said that truly cements him as a racist? Or, are you just condemning him by having a loose affiliation with people that you read about on the internet and decided that you don't like?

Seems like a 'buzzword" they've co-opted pretty proudly http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By WynnDuffy

@milkman said:

@jasoncooke: this is like a racist uncle on Facebook tier posts. the video in that link has absolutely nothing to do with BLM.

I am not racist. Do not say make those relations lightly, thank you.

There is BLM chanting, so...

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

I'll just be happy when this election is over. Doesn't mean Palmer isn't an idiot.

I'm that way every four years. Why anyone would ever want to be President is beyond me.

Urnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh for fuck's sake. Is this damn forum trying to become NeoGAF Jr.? Look, I think Trump is a dumbass as much as anyone else (not a fan of Hillary either, but that doesn't really matter here), but I'm not going to completely condemn someone and claim that they are a shitbag and a complete monster just because it comes out that they have different political affiliations/beliefs from me. This shit-flinging has become so insanely hypocritical, and this weird internet culture of "YOU'RE EITHER 100% WITH US OR 100% AGAINST US" is just pathetic. I can't wait for this election cycle to end.

I've never seen moderators here ban anyone for holding a conservative or anti-liberal opinion, which is something I've absolutely seen on NeoGAF, so I would say no. But a good deal of the forum members here are liberal--along with the actual GB crew--so I'm not surprised to see this sort of result.

But I have to say, from the Dixie Chicks, to Palmer Luckey, to The Eagles, to whoever else, shut the fuck up about your politics. Unless politics are part of your business, I don't care to hear them, and no one should know them. You're a complete idiot if you limit your audience like that, and you're an even bigger idiot if your political BS is going to do harm to your company and its employees. This has to be an absolute PR nightmare for Oculus, and for good reason. This is the most divisive and hateful election I've ever seen.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Milkman

@jasoncooke: no, there isn't. but even if there was, if I punch you in the face and yell "Giant Bomb", that doesn't mean Jeff is now responsible for me punching you in the face.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@audiobusting: The only way this headline could be more 2016 is if Pokemon GO was involved somehow.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renaldo_berkley said:
@jasoncooke said:
@renaldo_berkley said:

No I'm saying a lot of the media are behaving insane, with their deductions that Pepe the Frog is a white supremacist symbol.

Anyway until you can show me the alt-right is out there laying beatdowns on people or destroying public property en masse, it's not as bad as Black Lives Matter.

I don't have anything against BLM when they are law abiding folk speaking out against genuine cases of police brutality but maybe it's time to move away from that moniker.

BLM protests out of grief for their community, and their people. Black people, and people of color in general have been mistreated, and oppressed in this country since it's inception. Their voices have been suppressed, and they are rightfully making a stand for themselves. MLK once said "A riot is the language of the unheard". When there are riots (which are rare) that's why. The alt-right are people who are afraid of losing their cultural dominance. They're cowardly. They won't protest, because they're afraid. But many have made claims of violence, if Trump loses the election.

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squirrelgod said:

This is the most divisive and hateful election I've ever seen.

Loading Video...

Don't forget cringeworthy.

Obama is a cool cat but Hillary's attempts to get down with the kids are painful.

Trump is an idiot, Hillary is full of crap.

It's a terrible choice of candidates, Trump in the running at all and the fact it's actually quite close is embarrassing.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@jasoncooke: no, there isn't. but even if there was, if I punch you in the face and yell "Giant Bomb", that doesn't mean Jeff is now responsible for me punching you in the face.

okay, this is specific example is actually untrue, for reasons I can't go into, but the sentiment is valid.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Player1

@squirrelgod said:

It's sad to me, but that's just my opinion. This site started with a "say whatever the fuck you want" attitude. Now it seems a "my way or the highway" culture has formed. The thing is, I align with the attitude in terms of personal opinion, but it still makes me sick to see this type of behavior in the forums and comments. Demanding that people throw away their Oculus is such a ridiculous proposition, I won't even get into it. Not to mention the company is owned by Facebook now...

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i kinda liked the guy (though was jealous of his youth and wealth, rgh). not sure what to think/feel yet, but things might be a bit uncomfortable of he shows up on GB again (not that id ever quit this site, i think...)

InsidiousBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Politics - the socially acceptable method for people to hate each other.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By personandstuff

I can't entirely condemn him because I know Trump supporters. I don't hate them. They're super wrong but they're not monsters. Also hard to tell how much Luckey is personally behind everything associated with what this group does. Still, he's a very wrong person with enough money to make him dangerous.

@drdarkstryfe said:

Silicon Valley is not your friend folks. Remember that.

Man, I remember when tech people seemed cool. They wore tshirts and used their brains. These weren't soggy ol' wallstreet aholes. They were going to be different.

Edit: Have any of the GB crew commented on any of this? Probably bad for business for them to talk about this too much.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

None of what you are saying changes the malice and violence against white people from numerous BLM supporters. I'm not going to debate about them further, as we can see it's a can of worms.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@milkman said:
@icecoldfreezie said:

@jay_ray:Do you have any idea how incredibly illegal it would be to fire someone based on their political views?

Not illegal at all.

Wowzers, that's pretty surprising. Thanks for the info

It's not just political views, Palmer can be Republican/pro-Trump and support Trump's campaign and while I may disagree at the end of the day it is just que sera sera. However what Palmer is supporting is racism which makes him a racist or an exploiter of racism which maybe worse.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By atomicoldman

"Meme magic is real."

Aaaaaaand now there is vomit all over my shirt. Thank you, Internet!

Really though, I try my best to divorce the quality of the people making the products I enjoy from the product itself. Palmer can also do whatever he wants with his money and speech, doesn't mean I have to respect him for it (I don't), but hey, that's America. It's unfortunate because I thought a lot more highly of him than I do now but there's also been way worse things to come out of this election than some 24-year-old being a nitwit.

Edit: Although I guess I fall into the camp of "hope I don't see this guy on Giant Bomb anymore." I wouldn't quit the site if he did but I certainly don't want to continue digesting content featuring him.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The Hilary stuff is whatever, of course they're bashing Hilary because that's par for the course with campaigning.

The real problem is that they're doing anti-Semitic, racist, sexist, transphobic bullshit memes and shitposts and he's funding and supporting it. That's fucking disgusting. I won't be giving any money to Oculus.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh so this is a new politics thread?

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@player1 said:
@squirrelgod said:

It's sad to me, but that's just my opinion. This site started with a "say whatever the fuck you want" attitude. Now it seems a "my way or the highway" culture has formed. The thing is, I align with the attitude in terms of personal opinion, but it still makes me sick to see this type of behavior in the forums and comments. Demanding that people throw away their Oculus is such a ridiculous proposition, I won't even get into it. Not to mention the company is owned by Facebook now...

hahaha, in cause you missed my earlier post, saying people should throw away their rifts was a joke. I don't care what you do with your money.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By atomicoldman

@renaldo_berkley said:
@audiobusting said:

This year makes me want to die.

Hey, on Monday you can put on your Oculus rift and open up Alt Space to watch the debates in VR, with VR Al Roker as your host.

2016 is a nightmare world and I fully intend to cram myself into my Rift this Monday and let the terribleness of the year wash over me. My body is your communion, 2016. Consume me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@personandstuff: I don't expect the GB staff to comment on this during the Bombcast or any other bit of site content. Maybe on their personal Twitter accounts they can say something, but what political groups Palmey Luckey funds on his own time has very little to do with the validity of Oculus as a VR platform. It just isn't relevant to the way they cover video games, unless this becomes such a PR problem that Luckey has to resign from his job over it, which has not come to pass.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what Handibot would say about all this.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renaldo_berkley: I'm talking about labeling and judging people after only 150 fucking characters. If some asshat wants to say "Yeah, I AM an SJW/Alt-right/Taco Bell chihuahua!" then whatever, that's their call. I'm talking about condemning someone for what SOMEONE ELSE claims they are when you know fuck all about who that individual is as a PERSON. Palmer Lucky is a PERSON. If he says "GRR! I hate [insert race or minority] people!" in his personal life, then yeah, he's trash. But, you nor I will ever know, so how about not fucking cementing this caricature about a man that you do not know?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I just reread that OP... and a thread starting off with "fuck this guy" is bound to devolve sooner than later. I hope I don't wake up to a dozen page ranting session at the top of the forums.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I just reread that OP... and a thread starting off with "fuck this guy" is bound to devolve sooner than later. I hope I don't wake up to a dozen page ranting session at the top of the forums.

that wasn't my best call. I'm leaving this thread, and never coming. Sorry Giant Bomb dot com :(