FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

@flstyle said:
@b33 said:

I watched the first episode, here's a thing i don't get, is this a retelling of the last movie? I thought the movie was pretty lame, mostly because of super fanservice plot, space egyptian cat is alright.

Also just imagine goku having a normal-non-super-power kid, he would be dead by now, you just don't let your kid drive a tractor near a cliff.

The movies aren't considered canon by the shows.

The Dead Zone and the Garlic Jr. saga are linked.

Garlic Jr. saga is as canon as GT is, neither of them were in the manga.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool that they went ahead with acting like GT never happened. Idk what I want out of new DBZ. All I know is that the Battle of Gods movie was the first time in a long a time that I enjoyed anything DBZ related

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@flstyle said:
@branketra said:
@flstyle said:
@b33 said:

I watched the first episode, here's a thing i don't get, is this a retelling of the last movie? I thought the movie was pretty lame, mostly because of super fanservice plot, space egyptian cat is alright.

Also just imagine goku having a normal-non-super-power kid, he would be dead by now, you just don't let your kid drive a tractor near a cliff.

Gotta take it and leave it as such when it comes to canon or non-canon now a days. For example Bardock, Goku's father and the OVA he appeared in was a product of Toei Animation, and if we only took it as such since it was not part of the original manga he probably wouldn't be considered canon. He did eventually get acknowledged by Akira Toriyama in the 2014 side-story short Dragon Ball Minus but that wasn't until 2014. Another example is Vegeta's brother Tarble, who makes his first appearance in the 2008 OVA, "Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!" Is he considered canon? Who knows, he does get briefly mentioned in the Battled of Gods movie and since at that point and time the original script for the film was conceptualized by Toriyama I guess he'd be considered canon. Alot of the stuff will probably sort itself in Super but trying to determine what is canon and what's not in the Dragon Ball universe is just too confusing to sort out.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Bardock was in the manga, he was killed by Freiza. Bardock time travelling into the past and becoming a super saiyan, as well as Vegeta having a brother was not.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@flstyle said:

@i_stay_puft: Bardock was in the manga, he was killed by Freiza. Bardock time travelling into the past and becoming a super saiyan, as well as Vegeta having a brother was not.

So your basis for everything canon is the manga?

Ok I get what you're trying to say, been awhile since I read the manga. Don't remember if Bardock was in it or not, I know he was mentioned by name and does make an appearance in minus, not sure if he does make an appearance in the original manga.

Since Battle of Gods was co-deveoped and co-written by Toriyama wouldn't that make it canon as well?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

So your basis for everything canon is the manga?

Not my basis, the DBZ community's basis. When looking for facts it's always best to check what the people who pay attention to it most are saying. I haven't been frequent on a given DBZ forum in a long time but that was always the golden rule they used.

http://a.mfcdn.net/store/manga/214/21-307.0/compressed/r008.jpg

http://a.mfcdn.net/store/manga/214/21-307.0/compressed/r009.jpg

BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@flstyle said:
@branketra said:
@flstyle said:
@b33 said:

Sure, but you were talking about canon by the shows.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@puchiko said:

Watched it last night and was entertained but not impressed. I mean does there always got to be someone more powerful they don't know about? This show is like comfort food to me so I'll take anything Dragon ball related.

I compare this rinse-repeat structure similar to adding bullet sponges in games to increase difficulty.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branketra: I don't acknowledge Garlic Jr at any time, regardless of context! Except DragonBall Z Abridged when Popo did what Popo does, that was hilarious.

BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@branketra: I don't acknowledge Garlic Jr at any time, regardless of context! Except DragonBall Z Abridged when Popo did what Popo does, that was hilarious.

Dead Zone and the Garlic Jr. saga are definitely canon by the shows. That said, manga are typically canon rather than anime series that come from them.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

Dead Zone and the Garlic Jr. saga are definitely canon by the shows. That said, manga are typically canon rather than anime series that come from them.

Fine, fine, you and your reasonable logic. I'm just going to be over here pretending it doesn't exist.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this arguing about canon and the movies is like a flashback to the 90s for me, haha.

BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By BranKetra
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@millaj said:

All this arguing about canon and the movies is like a flashback to the 90s for me, haha.

Goddammit Mr. Popo is canon! The canniest canon of them all.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I fuckin' love Mr. Popo. Wasn't there someone who tried to use Popo as an example of racism in anime or something? That just popped into my head, but I can't remember the details.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@millaj said:

@i_stay_puft: I fuckin' love Mr. Popo. Wasn't there someone who tried to use Popo as an example of racism in anime or something? That just popped into my head, but I can't remember the details.

Yep Mr. Popo looks very similar to the stereotypical caricature used for African Americans in older anime series. More anime studios have been more considerate in representing African Americans as not these silly looking characters and actually looking like actual people but the caricature still exist out there even today.