#1 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1610 posts) -

I still haven't watched Super and this is making me want to finally go through it. This art style looks fantastic.

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -

Wait, isn't this movie supposed to be canon? Does that mean Broly is canon now? If so, that's both great and duuuummmmb.

#3 Edited by LentFilms (1112 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Yes but from what I've read Akira Toriyama is completely re-imagining the character so those old movies are still non-cannon.

Also, yeah, the animation in this trailer looks way better than the previous two films.

#4 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1340 posts) -

The dub trailer, for us filthy English-speaking ningen:

Loading Video...

#5 Posted by The_Nubster (4037 posts) -

@lentfilms: Hi I haven't watched Dragon Ball Z since I was 8 and I only ever saw Broly in AMVs I downloaded off of Kazaa and Limewire. Why was he decided to be non-canon in the first place? I remember thinking he just seemed like to coolest dude.

#6 Edited by aktivity (461 posts) -

@the_nubster:My understanding is that the majority of those movies were never canon, because Toriyama had very little if anything to do with them. Also some of them don't even fit the manga/anime timeline.

#7 Edited by nicksmi56 (830 posts) -

@the_nubster: Every movie character besides the Super movies is non-canon because Toriyama didn't make them himself. That's why nobody in the story knows Broly and why he can keep up with Super Saiyan Blue.

On topic, Broly's the epitome of a flat character. His backstory is awful and he's just there to punch Goku around. Normally I would hope Toriyama could add something to him and flesh him out, but given how painfully terrible the writing in Super is, I highly doubt it. Writing wise, Dragon Ball died with Z, or even earlier depending on your view.

Still, the art style is pretty dang gorgeous, so I may just watch the fight scenes on YouTube or watch the whole thing on KissAnime when I'm bored one day.

#8 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1340 posts) -

@lentfilms: Hi I haven't watched Dragon Ball Z since I was 8 and I only ever saw Broly in AMVs I downloaded off of Kazaa and Limewire. Why was he decided to be non-canon in the first place? I remember thinking he just seemed like to coolest dude.

The original Dragon Ball Z movies are considered non-canonical because they weren't written by Toriyama (the creator/writer of the original Dragon Ball manga) and because they often don't fit into the timeline properly. Characters are often in the wrong place at the wrong time, the bad guys appear out of nowhere with no mention of them in the manga/anime before or after, there are major plot holes, etc.

The original Broly movie, from what I remember, isn't actually too bad in that sense. The biggest problem with it was it seemed to happen right before the Cell games (because Gohan looked like he did after coming out of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, but hadn't unlocked Super Saiyan 2 yet) except in the movie Goku and Gohan weren't constantly in Super Saiyan form, which they were at that time in the manga. One of the aforementioned plot holes.

Anyway, the actual problem with the original movie is Broly himself. He's completely uninteresting and has no real personality beyond turning into a berserk rage monster. Also, the reason he was messed up in the head and had a grudge against Goku was because they were next to each other in a Saiyan baby ward thing when they were born and Goku cried for hours which drove Broly insane. That's it. That's why he's insane and why he wants to destroy Goku.

TLDR; Toriyama is writing his own version of Broly that should fix all the bad/dumb stuff. Hopefully.

#9 Edited by Sanj (3248 posts) -

This is a weird thing to be hyped about, but I fucking love the shade of yellow they're using for regular Super Sayain hair in this movie.

#10 Posted by LiquidPrince (17073 posts) -

Wait, isn't this movie supposed to be canon? Does that mean Broly is canon now? If so, that's both great and duuuummmmb.

He's canon, but it disregards his old origin. Only this new Broly is canon.

#11 Posted by Oodli (246 posts) -

That animation is *chef's kiss*

Hope Brolly is more then just a pack of muscles, but it seems he has some genetic manipulation back story, so maybe they are fleshing up his character.

#12 Edited by JohnTunoku (418 posts) -

No nu metal? NOT MY BROLY! Those movies were basically edgelord AMVs stretched to 90 or so minutes.

#13 Posted by Undeadpool (6956 posts) -

Broly was Japanese Doomsday (or Doomsday is American Broly, I don't want to look up the timeline) : He was a hulking muscleman with a hilariously nonexistent motive created SOLELY to be a threat...that said: this trailer already looks better than any of the THREE movies he was previously in.

And OP: if you like the style of this, be warned: the movies have MUCH better production values than the show. I have no idea what anime budgets must go through when a cultural touchstone in two countries like Dragon Ball STILL has to cut corners and looks out-and-out cheap in some cases. That said: I've enjoyed the series. It's...just so bad it's good.

#14 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1610 posts) -

Broly was Japanese Doomsday (or Doomsday is American Broly, I don't want to look up the timeline) : He was a hulking muscleman with a hilariously nonexistent motive created SOLELY to be a threat...that said: this trailer already looks better than any of the THREE movies he was previously in.

And OP: if you like the style of this, be warned: the movies have MUCH better production values than the show. I have no idea what anime budgets must go through when a cultural touchstone in two countries like Dragon Ball STILL has to cut corners and looks out-and-out cheap in some cases. That said: I've enjoyed the series. It's...just so bad it's good.

I know the animation in Super isn't very good, I've just been meaning to watch Super for like a year now, and wanting to be able to see this movie when it comes out might be what finally gets me to hunker down and watch it.

#15 Edited by JohnTunoku (418 posts) -

@TechnoSyndrome: The animation in super is actually generally good, the first 13 episodes are just very poorly done, I don't know why. Obviously it doesn't match up to movie animation, but that isn't really a reasonable expectation.

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -

@liquidprince: @lentfilms: Well, I guess it's probably a good thing Toriyama decided to re-write Broly's hilariously dumb backstory and this is technically a re-interpretation of the character. On the other hand, there's definitely a part of me that would kinda love if they just said "Nah, he's still just a big stupid brick who hates Goku because he cried as a baby."

Regardless, I think this movie looks pretty enough that I'd consider actually going to see it in theaters. I'm not expecting a whole lot, given how I fell off of Super, but it seems like the kind of goofy nonsense I'd be willing to spend 90 minutes of my time with.

#18 Posted by dudeglove (13710 posts) -

I only have the TFS version of Broly for reference but Broly at least looks far less dumb.

#19 Posted by Undeadpool (6956 posts) -

@undeadpool said:

I know the animation in Super isn't very good, I've just been meaning to watch Super for like a year now, and wanting to be able to see this movie when it comes out might be what finally gets me to hunker down and watch it.

Battle of Gods and Resurrection F make a great double-feature, and the series adds enough onto both that it's not ENTIRELY redundant to watch them. But if you want a quick way to zip through the first two seasons of Super, you're not missing much if you just check out the movies. And don't get me wrong: the cheapness is noticeable, but there's a lot of fun creativity and cheese on display in the series. I'm not THRILLED with how UTTERLY focused on Goku everything tends to be, but that's personal taste.

#20 Posted by Acura_Max (756 posts) -

It's kind of hilarious how blunt they are that this is a remake of Broly.

A NEW SAIYAN.

WHOM NOBODY KNOWS.

#21 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1340 posts) -

Here are the character sheets for Goku, Vegeta and Broly.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

This to note:

• Vegeta appears in his Buu Arc outfit at some point, probably in a flashback?
  • Vegeta uses Super Saiyan God (red hair) which he's used before in the manga but not in the anime
  • No sign of Vegeta and Goku's latest forms seen in the Tournament of Power (they likely wouldn't show them here anyway)
  • As seen in the trailer, Broly has some mid-transformation between base and Super Saiyan with spiked up black hair, maybe equivalent to his "restrained" form from the original movie
  • Goku and Vegeta have some sickass winter coats
#22 Posted by burncoat (557 posts) -

I really hope they make some jokes about how Brolly looks like Yamcha. One of the best parts of Super was the baseball episode where they weren't afraid of dunking on him like the fans do.

#23 Posted by Seaocean (6 posts) -

Can't wait to see. I am playing Dragon Ball Legend now and Brolly is the best fighter with highest power.