Dragon's Dogma is getting an anime

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rejizzle

You read that right folks. The best open world game on PS3/360 is getting an animated adaptation.

Before you get too excited, there is no word yet on whether Into Free will be the opening song, but I can't imagine anyone greenlighting this without clearing that first.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-dragons-dogma-anime-series-is-coming-to-netflix/1100-6465505/

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By FacelessVixen

Well ain't this just roses being red, violets being blue, and omae wa mou shindeiru.

Given my somewhat fresh memory of the story and characters in the game, I honestly don't know if this is going to suck in a way that I can like it, or in a, "Oh, Jesus Christ! What the fuck? WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!" kind of way. ...says someone who stopped watching anime in 2014 and thinks that Studio Ghibli is overrated, so take my words for a grain of fuckin' salt.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The characters and story were forgettable enough that I don't know what they get by attaching the Dragon's Dogma name to what will likely be a by-the-numbers fantasy anime. I mean, I enjoyed my time with the game, but all I really remember about the experience is: dragon stole my heart, climbing around on big monsters, and a fairly large open world with a whole lot of wasted empty space. Unless Capcom solicited Netflix, fronting all the cash for Netflix to develop and distribute the series because they've got a Dragon's Dogma 2 in the pipeline and they want to generate some buzz, this seems like a really odd choice of license to pursue.

Guess they couldn't afford the Elder Scrolls license - which is a damn shame, because I could see getting into a well-made Elder Scrolls animated series - and felt that Kingdoms of Amalur was just too generic even for them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It’s not the Dragons Dogma news I was hoping for but I’ll take it.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love me some Dragon's Dogma, but I don't think you can base an anime on that story, build it with cheap-lookin anime television series CG, and then call it a day. You're not gonna have something wortwhile. DD is essentially a beat 'em up in open world action RPG clothing, and what counts as plot for most of that game is just a cult trying to revive a buncha monsters 'cause they're evil.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong with a healthy helping of J-rock, frightening night exploration scenes and dragon fights however. At least now anime fans will also get to see how that ending goes.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even as someone who's not a fan of the game this seemed interesting, but then I saw the animation studio and was less interested. It's a CG thing and not the best looking studio (Basically, not Orange). It's a real shame how much that affects excitement about anime adaptations of things these days, that Ultraman manga adaptation also looks kinda meh, especially compared to the manga (One-Punch Man season 2 is also INCREDIBLY worrying).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If it's another CG animated thing then ugh. CG anime tends to look terrible.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon's Dogma was a really stark example of a game that didn't really have much of a story and instead just had a lot of ...things.. happening.

Some of those things would probably look cool in an anime, but what the hell do you do in between.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I mean, it has some very serious Issues and is poorly written, but Goblin Slayer is basically that

Some episodes are about going on adventures. Some are about every half naked woman in the tristate area swooning for Goblin Slayer while they do slice of life stuff and side stories in town.

I could easily see a "season" of Dragon's Dogma being

• Slice of life intro where you meet the cast (maybe make the Arisen's pawn a person and deal with the implications of that later). Episode ends with The Dragon attacking
  • Episode two is just one big ass fight scene where the Arisen is helping people in town and culminates with the fight and the heart shanking
  • Episode three is recovery of the Arisen coupled with a few vignettes with different characters (Edge looking knight dude and Goth Witch Lady are good choices) and the increasing number of monsters
  • Episode four is Arisen waking up and getting the excuse to go to the capital city, culminating in the Gryphon (?) fight outside the gates
  • Episode five is the capital city and the season culminates in the first trip down the big hole as a "Hey fans of the series, you know why this shit matters" coupled with "Isn't this cool? We got ourselves an overall myth arc"

Or just say "fuck it" and make every episode a big monster fight.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The characters and story were forgettable enough that I don't know what they get by attaching the Dragon's Dogma name to what will likely be a by-the-numbers fantasy anime. I mean, I enjoyed my time with the game, but all I really remember about the experience is: dragon stole my heart, climbing around on big monsters, and a fairly large open world with a whole lot of wasted empty space. Unless Capcom solicited Netflix, fronting all the cash for Netflix to develop and distribute the series because they've got a Dragon's Dogma 2 in the pipeline and they want to generate some buzz, this seems like a really odd choice of license to pursue.

What? How could you not remember such classic characters as: Blacksmith man, the girl that becomes a nun, sword lady, 3 generic created character party members, and your cousin who gets lost but "cousin" in that case might have just been a term of endearment.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might as well do something with the Dragon's Dogma name.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@rejizzle said:
@cursethesemetalhands said:

What? How could you not remember such classic characters as: Blacksmith man, the girl that becomes a nun, sword lady, 3 generic created character party members, and your cousin who gets lost but "cousin" in that case might have just been a term of endearment.

The funny thing about that game was the ending connected your love interest as teh person your character had the most contact with. In MANY people games that meant your "love interest" was the blacksmith if you were particularly funny about always checking what was in in the shop. So YEAH that Blacksmith was an important character whether you want them to be or not! LOL

Still I liked that games story, ist was slim, but it was a serviceable story. And, I liked many fo teh characters they had nice little side stories. Selene the witch girl is fun. Quina the young woman in town who finds you has a bit of a story, she certainly need to be found A LOT. Madeleine the saucy shop peddler/trader is cool. Mercedes Marten, teh female knight, has somewhat more intricate story about finding herself while helping teh Arisen. The Queen(?) Princess(?) was somewhat interesting with her story about how cruel teh king is too her? Moreover teh queen's room is one of a few places in the early game to have "Silk Lingerie"; i.e. thongs to use as armor. "Women's smallclothes of revealing silk fabric. Customary attire in the Western Lands, it is said."

I have no clue why people don't give this game more credit! It is a great game and a fun RPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they'd just make a sequel :(